Peckett W4 types - weathering, modifying and prototype

I used to find the inevitable juvenile squabbling on here amusing, but now I find it increasingly depressing. I come on here for inspiration, help and advice and knowledge and whilst it is usually positive, all too often there's this petty one upmanship or arguing over the most inconsequential things.

Andy Y and the mods deserve medals for putting up with it for year after year.

It's about model railways, that's all, no one is given novichok if a chimney is slightly the wrong shape, no children go without food if a photo has the wrong caption, no one gets taken into an embassy allegedly, and dismembered if they have a saddle tank with too much weathering on it for how it looked in the summer of 1953.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I make no claims to be an expert on Pecketts, but I came across an article about Peckett and Sons in Railway Bylines Summer Special No2 which gives a summary of the Company and the locos it produced.

According to the author, I C Coleford the W4s were built between 1885 and 1906 with 143 being built making it the largest class built by Peckett. Any one confirm this?

David

I saw Coleford once myself.....................

One of the regular 'noms-de-plume' of the former editor along with such gems as 'Orson Carter'.

Way off topic, sorry :offtopic:

, no one is given novichok if a chimney is slightly the wrong shape,

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I thought I heard some Russian accents at Scaleforum. Something about the chimney on a Barclay, belonging to a Mr. Gittins, being too tall?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I thought I heard some Russian accents at Scaleforum. Something about the chimney on a Barclay, belonging to a Mr. Gittins, being too tall?

нахальный молодой парень

• 1 month later...

Here is mine with its newly arrived nameplates, I have works plates too and while the build date on the works plates is past the date the W4s finished production it is of personal significance (though the text is so small I may be the only one who'd know anyway)

Lizzie Mary

post-18430-0-31785400-1544049211_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I used a cocktail stick, it took a bit to get it started but when it started going it was reasonably easy, I left a few very light scuffs but otherwise removed them very cleanly. The new plates hide it all anyway

• Like 1

An alternative is rub some IPA with a Cotten bud onto the name (which softens the tempo printed name) and then use a Sharpie to rub it off. It may be necessary to re apply the IPA onto the transfer. The Sharpie has alcohol in it and can be wiped off. This technique can of course on changing numbers. I found this technique on the weathering thread on RM Web. I tried it out yesterday as an alternative to the T cut method.

David

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone fitted larger buffers yet per some of the great prototype photos in this thread? Is there anything that will go into the molded stocks as a swap or would it need to be complete removal and fitment of Alan Gibson industrial buffers for example?

I quite like the riveted on larger heads and guess a representation could be glued to the Hornby heads if you could make some suitably bowl shaped disks. Alas currently I can't think of a way to make identical pairs.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone fitted larger buffers yet per some of the great prototype photos in this thread? Is there anything that will go into the molded stocks as a swap or would it need to be complete removal and fitment of Alan Gibson industrial buffers for example?

I quite like the riveted on larger heads and guess a representation could be glued to the Hornby heads if you could make some suitably bowl shaped disks. Alas currently I can't think of a way to make identical pairs.

Such is the timing, there is larger head Peckett buffers available from RT Models

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

post-8628-0-95389000-1548538009.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Drawing pin?

Ray.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ah, on PC I can find my older posts. Sorry for the late responses.

On 27/01/2019 at 09:21, Marshall5 said:

Drawing pin?

Ray.

Good thought but all the ones i can find are 9.5mm - well over 2' in diameter!

On 26/01/2019 at 21:27, RThompson said:

Such is the timing, there is larger head Peckett buffers available from RT Models

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

post-8628-0-95389000-1548538009.jpeg

Those look good - what diameter are they?

Also i see the j94 parts you have and it has spurred me to dig out the RSH Ugly I was working on about 10 years ago as the lamps etc look ideal.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SR71 said:

Ah, on PC I can find my older posts. Sorry for the late responses.

Good thought but all the ones i can find are 9.5mm - well over 2' in diameter!

Those look good - what diameter are they?

Also i see the j94 parts you have and it has spurred me to dig out the RSH Ugly I was working on about 10 years ago as the lamps etc look ideal.

The buffer head diameter is 6.2mm 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

image.jpeg.10a8cef63e44f4dda518a5a7c8010519.jpeg

Heres one of the new to be released items, lost wax brass safety valve cover, valves and whistle for the Hornby W4 Peckett from RT Models.

I'm well chuffed I have got the shrinkage rate spot on, however these will not be for sale until the end of next week as the spring balance valves and whistle are on another mould and are to be sent into me.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Jack Benson
On 25/02/2017 at 19:52, cornelius said:

We usually recommend 2.5mm for 4mm scale Pecketts as their plates are slightly taller than average size in most cases - although the specific Peckett style has quite thin lettering. It all depends on the length of the name though so if you have a certain width the plates need to fit within just let us know.

Hi and thanks for this information, an order for 2,5mm plates will be placed asap.

We have to create 'Bristol'  works No1638, seen here crossing Britannia Road (the concrete gateposts still exist)

1638-peckett.jpg.2f33e76431d0b2a9bec36c399e991996.jpg

and crossing Belvidere Road

Bristol_1638a.jpg.0e85058328a2d955719ec873d80cf611.jpg

This is the work of Colin Boocock from the late 40s.

Our starting point is the Peckett No 850, the only major surgery is to replace the dome with a pair of ross pop valves in a modified dome from DMR models for the J37, and to hit wooden buffers BUT our only query is the colour of Bristol in its latter years - presumably a filthy dark green?

DMR_J37.jpg.a590bfeb6dca7c8d2919214843b0615a.jpg

btw, many of the images of George Jennings were taken from the collection of Leonard Hale

Cheers

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

On 28/09/2019 at 22:44, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

not being konwledgeable about Pecketts, can anyone say whether any of Powlesland and Mason's Pecketts used at Swansea were W4s? Their No.12 (GWR 1152) looks to my uneducated eye as a possibility!

http://GWR-P-M-0-4-0-ST-No-1152-at-Danygraig.jp

http://GWR-P-M-0-4-0-ST-No-1152.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

I've only just seen this and as no one else has replied, no, they aren't W4s. They are Class E, which is quite a bit larger than the W4.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

I've only just seen this and as no one else has replied, no, they aren't W4s. They are Class E, which is quite a bit larger than the W4.

Many thanks, Ruston, as I said, uneducated eyes, and although obviously family members, it's difficult to gauge relative size.

All the best,

Mark

• 3 months later...

Here is the same green engine as in my first post in this topic, having undergone a rebuild at Peckett's works.

Frankenpeckett-005.jpg.0c4340c7d7aed3321f1db79cabc114e4.jpg

It's had the footplate dropped, the chimney shortened, the spring balance safety valves and tall brass dome have been replaced.

New, shallower cab steps have been made, brass discs soldered to the buffers and the smokebox wing plates have been cut back. The spectacles in the front face of the cab were filled in and new holes drilled higher up to compensate for the lowered cab.

The new spectacle rims are milled nickel silver. The Roscoe lubricator would no longer fit on the chimney and so has been moved to the smokebox side.

It's also had a terrible paint job, which will be partly hidden by the weathering.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Can you elucidate further?

Certainlement. Sheep Dip. Still building it. A playpen for pesky Pecketts. 

20200422_190929-02.jpeg

20200422_192136-01.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6