Peckett W4 types - weathering, modifying and prototype

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, David jennings said:

Your weathering is amazing. Is there anywhere in RMWeb where you give mere mortals some hints and tips ? If not, any chance you could ? Please ?!

Hi David. 

Thank you for your kind words. 

Have a look here.....I'm a bit rubbish at regular updates but you may well get the gist. Feel free to PM me and ask away. I don't do anything special really. I just tinker away until it looks about right really. 

Cheers, 

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 15/01/2020 at 18:39, Jack Benson said:

Hi and thanks for this information, an order for 2,5mm plates will be placed asap.

We have to create 'Bristol'  works No1638, seen here crossing Britannia Road (the concrete gateposts still exist)

1638-peckett.jpg.2f33e76431d0b2a9bec36c399e991996.jpg

and crossing Belvidere Road

Bristol_1638a.jpg.0e85058328a2d955719ec873d80cf611.jpg

This is the work of Colin Boocock from the late 40s.

Our starting point is the Peckett No 850, the only major surgery is to replace the dome with a pair of ross pop valves in a modified dome from DMR models for the J37, and to hit wooden buffers BUT our only query is the colour of Bristol in its latter years - presumably a filthy dark green?

DMR_J37.jpg.a590bfeb6dca7c8d2919214843b0615a.jpg

btw, many of the images of George Jennings were taken from the collection of Leonard Hale

Cheers

JB

This is the outcome, the plates are still in the packet.

FA41F58D-817A-4FC4-B944-DF009A85EA5F.jpeg.db6511a58fd3d149e7466db334dc4b3c.jpeg

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 10:53, David jennings said:

Rob

very much appreciated. Will have a browse and pm if I’m being dim and don’t get something.

Dave 

Not a problem, Dave. Happy to help if I can. 

Cheers, 

Rob. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am a young modeller and new to this forum.

I have got two Pecketts W4 from Hornby and simply removed the NEM coupling and clipped a three link chain onto the original hook moulded to the model. The chain is a mix of Cumbria and Smiths loops. It works fine and without problems.

Regards

Peckett 560   

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

a_20200606_111320.jpg.4664c9615d50d1e115e8097c97a7beab.jpg

20200606_140351.jpg.92d93b4b50dda9ff7dec322702a93362.jpg

'Brynllefrith' of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, at Bethesda yard with a short working for the light railway.

Nameplates by Narrow Planet. Apart from those, it's just had three-link couplings added and some weathering.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 minutes ago, Peckett 560 said:

Hi all,

I am a young modeller and new to this forum.

I have got two Pecketts W4 from Hornby and simply removed the NEM coupling and clipped a three link chain onto the original hook moulded to the model. The chain is a mix of Cumbria and Smiths loops. It works fine and without problems.

Regards

Peckett 560   

Welcome to the forum - especially the Industrial section where all the best young modellers hang out:imsohappy:

Well, young at heart anyway!

Soon to be popping off to the Ruston Engineering and Distressing Co.'s works to collect my Peckett body.  At some time in the near future it may well find itself chuffing along on a Gordon A. chassis.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

Don't get too excited, it's not half as nice as the Capn's weathering job, above. It almost makes me want to go out and buy another Peckett.

As it happens, I'm contemplating a double Peckett bash. I reckon that the tank/boiler on a B2 0-6-0ST is about the same length as that on a W6 0-4-0ST. The W6 and W4 share the same wheelbase and diameter, so it's not beyond the wit of man to join the two together and with a little scratchbuilding, or 3D-printing, a W6 Frankenpeckett could emerge.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I'm no expert in the different classes like you, but a quick look at these drawings freely available on the interweb suggest you are right - the top one is a W6 I think??

image.png.efd29bd1e1eafc4800b713e0ba1754f3.png

Have you got any larger versions? Could you send my PM, please? Or by a link here, if they are viewable on someone's website.

Yes freely available on the martynbane website. I printed it off a while back as I quite fancy  a W6....

Hope this works I'm rubbish at links and stuff

http://martynbane.co.uk/peckett/drawings/drawings.html

Edit - yes it does work. Click on each drawing on the website for a really detailed view!

Edited by Barclay
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi - have a look at 

If you overlay this E drawing over Martyn Baines' W6 (I have), you'll see the only substantive differences are the smokebox front plate, wheelbase and wheel diameter.

Good luck with this ingenious project which I look forward to hearing more about! 

Mike

On 15/06/2020 at 11:49, Captain Kernow said:

a_20200606_111320.jpg.4664c9615d50d1e115e8097c97a7beab.jpg

20200606_140351.jpg.92d93b4b50dda9ff7dec322702a93362.jpg

'Brynllefrith' of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, at Bethesda yard with a short working for the light railway.

Nameplates by Narrow Planet. Apart from those, it's just had three-link couplings added and some weathering.

@Captain Kernow, if you’d be so kind, how did you remove the 74 off the cab side please?

22 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi, I just rubbed it gently but persistently with a series of cotton buds, dampened with enamel thinners (or Ronsonol lighter fluid, in fact).

Thank you. Much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still a work in progress but I'm having a go at lining before weathering... How much weathering will depend on how well the lining goes. Very pleased so far for first attempt in many years.

20200819_174607.jpg.2b17343b57012b49575616e7c6367f37.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A final couple of views of my two . I have a third but I'm yet to tinker with it.  For little engines they do present quite  a presence. 

Rob. 

20200816_130149-01.jpeg

20200816_130231-02.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Got over excited and forgot to add images....
  • Like 19

• 1 month later...
On 04/01/2017 at 14:00, davknigh said:

A suggestion for those who use tension link couplings. Have a look and see if you have some spare NEM wagon couplings from Bachmann stock. These are shorter and with the hook removed are very unobtrusive.

Cheers,

David

Would you have the Bachmann number for these being in the US not sure what to order.

David.

3 hours ago, Matador said:

Would you have the Bachmann number for these being in the US not sure what to order.

David.

Sorry, I don’t know the number. I don’t actually use tension lock myself but the ones from wagons are that bit smaller as to be less obvious than the size  which is normally attached to locos. 

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...