Peckett W4 types - weathering, modifying and prototype

Yeah i'm not too bothered about the 'd', but im sure the lining wont be a problem. Will it leave anything behind? when i use enamel thinners the colour (white in this situation) goes into the thinner but stays on the loco and causes marks. Are the tamiya thinners almost non watery? Trying to think of possible dry rubbers to get it off, with a clean finish. Not too much work!

I still swear by a cotton bud soaked in Brasso wadding [not the liquid - you'll pick up too much fluid]. Its controllable and you can then use the dry end of the cotton but to buff it dry afterwards, otherwise you can get a waxy white residue.

The cleaned area will be noticeably shiny.

Yeah Brasso wadding was what I meant by a dry rubber of sorts.

Depends what's being cleaned, For largish [all things being relative] I'll use a bit of raw wadding, but for finer work as in this case taking out lettering or numbers without hurting the adjacent lining a cotton bud is tighter and more controllable.

Digressing a little I also find Brasso useful in weathering. As I said above it brings up a nice shine and is therefore able to create the impression of a well polished surface under the dirt

I got brave and weathered the Peckett, although only with some weathering powder for now. The effect can be wiped off or added to later, if I think it needs adjustment. I think it looks alright, with the bright colours toned down a little but not lost.

The crude replacement whistle I turned up from a piece of brass wire in the Dremel is also visible.

Peckett%20Weathered%20-%201_zpslxqofyl5.

Peckett%20Weathered%20-%202_zpsgpdx073z.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

These really are lovely little engines. This is my Dodo waffling around the sidings Sheep Lane. To be weathered and Narrow Planet plates applied.

This is the sort of little engine that just cries out for it's own little layout.......mmmmmm.

Also a few photos of the prototype. George Jennings would make a really nice model from Hornby......

Rob.

post-14122-0-63818300-1489374190_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-27219100-1489374263_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-73451500-1489374368_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-87800000-1489374581_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-17907900-1489374675_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-22179600-1489374740_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Where did George Jennings operate?

Gordon A

Love the fifth picture Rob. Any idea where it was?

It's Parkstone, Dorset.

See here....

http://georgejennings.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Rob.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just had notification from Hattons that Hornby will be releasing the next Peckett, Lilleshal No 10 in September. I have already ordered some etched works plates from Narrow Planet so just now need to order some P4 wheels for it.

David

Just had notification from Hattons that Hornby will be releasing the next Peckett, Lilleshal No 10 in September. I have already ordered some etched works plates from Narrow Planet so just now need to order some P4 wheels for it.

David

You have a source for Peckett wheels in P4? I know that the tyres from the WD tender can be used but a proper driver has not been done, that I know of, but please prove me wrong. Please?

Cheers,

David

David you are correct there is not a wheel specific to the Peckett but there nearest equivalent from Gibson is 4839G listed as Industrial Garrett. You will also need some 1/8" to 3mm reducing bushes (4M68) also from Gibson as well as 2mm axles as these are the sizes of the Hornby wheels. Pete Hill of the EM Gauge society has converted a Peckett and provided me with the information here.

What we need is a nice etched overlay to replicate the flat faced spokes of the Peckett.

• 1 year later...

Another round of Peckett Mania is under way in the world of RTR locomotives but just how many of them will make it to proper industrial layouts, instead of running around existing "main line" layouts? I have already posted these photos of my latest purchase (Hornby R3550, Lilleshall No.10) elsewhere but thought it pertinent to revive this topic.

post-494-0-57783400-1533485822.jpg

post-494-0-46252600-1533485849.jpg

Work done:

Cab upper rear cut off using a razor blade.

Handrails painted and polished with Humbrol metalcote "polished steel".

Additonal metalwork painted as above, on cabsides and rear.

Pipework along boiler painted copper-coloured.

Buffers drilled out and parts that should be painted red have been painted red.

Printed works plate removed and replaced with etched brass item - printed works plate is overly large.

Smokebox repainted with off-black matt paint.

Bodywork polished using T-cut, which leaves an extra shine in places but gives a weathered appearance in areas that are difficult to get to.

Hideous couplers thrown in bin and replaced with Dinghams.

Driver figure added.

Name plate fitted.

Front hand rail replaced with straight item because I liked the straight one on the MSC Pecketts but missed out on getting one.

Lower part of firebox painted and dusted with rusty weathering powder.

Whistle replaced with whitemetal item of different design because the standard item broke within minutes of taking the model out of the box!

Sorry I skipped the unboxing vid. It was going to epic, directed by Taratino and voiced by Samuel L. Jackson but neither would do it for the five quid that I was offering. Ah well, never mind, eh?

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Seems that great minds think alike, possibly,  as Dave and I were both hacking about at a Hornby Peckett at pretty much the same time although mine has also gained dumb buffers as per the example used on Dibles Wharf in Southampton so has become a visitor to my Canute Road Quay layout set in and around Southampton...

post-243-0-81702900-1533487414_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-56608800-1533487423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I must say I am looking forward to the release of '560', now put back to September I believe. It will make a nice friend for Dodo.

Still toying with the idea of a layout for these to play on.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

post-10511-0-23869500-1535474234_thumb.jpg

Hello All

Finally managed to get an example of the Hornby Peckett after a long wait. I got hold of the latest model R3550A, in black. The model is not quite finished yet as it needs nameplates and one or two final refinements, but here's a picture of the model as it stands now. This is the first attempt at modifying a RTR model so I'm hoping that you guys may be able to offer some comments for future reference if I have the inkling to repeat the exercise. I would have altered the position of the steam dome but I cannot find a suitable replacement that is the same as the prototype.

Any ideas?

I have added a picture of the prototype (Lady Angela) for comparison.

post-10511-0-13130800-1535474578_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

attachicon.gifPeckett model 1.jpg

Hello All

Finally managed to get an example of the Hornby Peckett after a long wait. I got hold of the latest model R3550A, in black. The model is not quite finished yet as it needs nameplates and one or two final refinements, but here's a picture of the model as it stands now. This is the first attempt at modifying a RTR model so I'm hoping that you guys may be able to offer some comments for future reference if I have the inkling to repeat the exercise. I would have altered the position of the steam dome but I cannot find a suitable replacement that is the same as the prototype.

Any ideas?

I have added a picture of the prototype (Lady Angela) for comparison.

attachicon.gifPeckett model 1.jpg

Nice job. I don't think its necessary to shift the dome [unless you have a proper scaled drawing] as the apparent difference is more likely a matter of perspective. I'm intrigued by the "closed" cab on the early chassis. Normally by the time those cabs came along the running plate was level with the tops of the buffer beams.