Peckett W4 types - weathering, modifying and prototype

• 3 weeks later...

This one is the latest addition to my own fleet. It started off just as the one above did; the PLA-liveried version. I fitted the Pi cab kit and frame extension. The buffers are based on a those fitted to some Pecketts and were milled from brass. They add 16g to the total weight!

Brownpeckettt-004.jpg.ed0c1ed9696d9f865ef8c4f91d9a5441.jpg

Brownpeckettt-002.jpg.49dfa1ff9ddde83822b0260657069d64.jpg

Weathering next but I won't be able to use it until the New Year, when I can afford a sound decoder and speaker for it.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have also installed DCC sound.

I'd be really interested in some more detail on how you managed to squeeze a sound chip and speaker into there Dave.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't yet dared to make any changes to these marvellous models, but have had a go at a few with the airbrush and/or bristle brush. These, then, fall into the 'weathered' category rather than any other:

October 2018

IMG_7717_Cropped.JPG.a8a1ba738fa6a09ccc2022f99520a2ab.JPG

January 2019

IMG_7865_Cropped.JPG.d542168f0b2e5b69b70bfb04fcc1424f.JPG

April 2020

IMG_0305_Cropped.jpg.052d4d3b927b9745ca50407563739ccc.jpg

November 2020

IMG_0649_Cropped.jpg.3f4bbbcf71ee82375fa1aa1b6798fb87.jpg

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I'd be really interested in some more detail on how you managed to squeeze a sound chip and speaker into there Dave.

Al.

Zimo MX648 with Peckett sound, from Digitrains.

The body casting has an internally threaded part for the front body to frame fixing screw - grind of file this back as far as possible without cutting into the threads.

On the top of the cylinder block is a plastic extension - no idea what it's there for but cut this off.

Cut off the metal lugs that are supposed to hold the standard decoder.

Wiggle the suppressor thing back and forth until it breaks off.

Lop off all spare wires from the decoder and use a razor blade to cut any of the plastic covering that extends further than the actual decoder itself. Do the same at the wires end and also cut the plastic away around the remaining wires so that they can be bent away from the decoder.

With the wires end upward, and the wires facing toward the motor, offer the decoder up so you can estimate the length of the wires that you will need without leaving too much excess to get in the way.

Invert the frames and drill.grind or whatever, the protrusion that would locate the plastic block for the tension lock coupler until the firebox and under-cab space is flat.

Drill two holes in the frame, one either side of the rear mounting screw hole. These are for the speaker wires. You may also have to grind small areas of the inside of the firebox in the body for clearance.

Solder the track and motor wires, tape the speaker wires to the sides of the motor/gearbox using Kapton tape and feed the speaker wires through the holes.

The speaker fits in the firebox and under-cab area in the frames. 12x8x8 sugar cube or a Youchoos Minnow 4. Solder the wires to the speaker and fix in place with a blob of black tack. The Minnow is the better fit as it doesn't show below the frames at all, where the other one shows a couple of millimetres.

Obviously, this doesn't work if you're still using tension locks but, this is an incentive to get with the program and chuck them in the bin, where they belong. Usual checks that nothing's going to cause a short, blah, blah, blah and that;s it - Bob's yer uncle: one sound-fitted Peckett.

There's no space for a stay alive, unless you want to stuff it in the cab and hide all that lovely detail but, providing the pickups are all in good order, these little Pecketts really don't need one.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know a good paint match for the PLA Peckett? I'm building planet industrials' part date kit, and would like to keep the livery. Also does anyone know of a lining transfer set?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I can't offer any views of a new Peckett ( yet) but I can offer a new view of one of my existing Pecketts. 

Rob. 

20210303_210730-02-02.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Comma
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Peckett W4 works number 521 of 1891

I'm hoping you good folks in Peckettland may have come across a picture of works number 521.

she started life In the docks at Swansea in 1891 working for contractor Christopher Rowland subsequently being sold to Broomhill collieries, Northumberland in 1910. Broomhill sold her (prior to 1922?) to the Weardale Steel Coal and Coke company who rebuilt her at Thornley Colliery (Durham) in 1922 and sent her to work on the Weatherhill and Rookhope and Rookhope and Middlehope Railways in Weardale. She is recorded as working from all 3 sheds on these systems, at Heights quarry, Rookhope and Bolts Law. She was laid up when the system closed in 1923 and she was finally scrapped in 1941, possibly at Thornley Colliery.

Due to an extremely low bridge at Rookhope, locomotives on these lines had distinctive cut down cabs, see link below...

https://www.facebook.com/tanfieldrailway/photos/pcb.10158653625200312/10158653549500312/

I doubt she was built with a low cab, but probably ended her life with one similar to the above.

So, has anyone seen Peckett 521?

Thanks

Duncan