Neilson Tank Engines Boxy and Not Boxy

844fan

i recently came into possession of 7mm drawings of the GER and an industrial Nielson in a 1972 Model Railway News

Oh nice Sam. Maybe a future project for modeling be quite interesting to see a Neilson with your Kitson tank. Boy would I love to see those drawings.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is that Neilson, or Neath Abbey Ironworks?

I know I’ve seen the picture before,and should know.

Kevin

I'm convinced it's neilson, photographed new outside the works, note the caption at the bottom right

Did Neath Abbey build similar machines?

Edited by Killian keane

I’m probably mis-remembering an article in the IRS magazine long ago, where I think this photo, and the question of Neath Abbey engines was discussed at length.

One trouble is that photos of NAIW at this period show the same sort of arched doors and circular wind-eyes in the structure. Maybe it was a common feature of foundries, to get a cross draught at high level to disperse fumes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The loco from High Harrington appears to be one of the Andrew Barclay 0-4-0STs supplied new to the Harrington Iron & Coal Co. (1875-1878) - but hard to tell from the thumbnail image.  Do you have a larger scan?

• 1 month later...
On 06/10/2019 at 09:10, DougN said:

Crazy question here, what colour was the above locomotive? I am looking at colours for my high level kits version.

I don't think anyone can give an answer to that, so just do whatever colour you want. I did.

neilsonmineral-015.jpg.b7e5e936b15409aca14f4c16aa3f0a0e.jpg

I don't know why I haven't seen this thread before. I would like to have a go at scratchbuilding one of the box tanks but I can see it being a problem in OO as there is no running plate and it will be obvious that the gauge is too narrow. The back-to-back on the wheels may be narrower than the smokebox/steam chest etc.

• Like 2

Thanks Ruston. I have yet to finish mine... I have everything for it but I have got distracted by a Finney V2 I am building. OK it did start well before the Nielsen! I have seen a photo of a possible Nielsen in what I would guess is fully lined Green livery in a book on the construction of the GCR main line. But it was a friends book so I do not have access to it. 

Doug

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread following my re-reading of the Brendon Hills book, a magnificent publication with an amazing amount of information within its pages.  I have always had a yearning to base a layout on the West Somerset Mineral Railway but one of the possible obstacles might be a good working P4 model of the box tanks.  Ruston's comment about frame widths probably wouldn't apply in P4 so I will have to revisit Iain Rice's old articles as mentioned above.  Today's small motors and HL gearboxes should make the task of modelling a loco that much easier nowadays (he said hopefully!)

My interest in the line stems from my uncle owning a farm at the bottom of the hill from Raleigh's Cross on the Williton road.  I can remember at around 8 years of age going for a walk with my Dad and Uncle that took us down into the valley and along the WSMR trackbed to near the bottom of the incline.  At the time I had no idea where or what 'the old railway' was - but I do now!

Has anyone built a loco in the time since the thread went into 'hibernation'?

Edited by 5050

On 15/04/2018 at 10:14, Killian keane said:

Neilson 1367/1867

post-29975-0-15328300-1523783709.jpg

IIRC, an article in "Railway World" talked of 2 of the above loco's being lost in a shipwreck, being found and parts recovered. The aim was to bring them both up and restore one to a displayable condition. Did this ever happen? 

2 hours ago, 33C said:

IIRC, an article in "Railway World" talked of 2 of the above loco's being lost in a shipwreck, being found and parts recovered. The aim was to bring them both up and restore one to a displayable condition. Did this ever happen? 

I'd be interested to know any more information (works numbers, destination).  There was an article in Railway Magazine, September 2007 (plus at least one follow-up), that listed all known instances of steam locomotives lost at sea.

The only Neilson 0-4-0ST in that list appears to have been part of an order for Nova Scotia in 1859, but the numbers given as lost (four locomotives) doesn't tally with works lists (two locomotives).

22 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I'd be interested to know any more information (works numbers, destination).  There was an article in Railway Magazine, September 2007 (plus at least one follow-up), that listed all known instances of steam locomotives lost at sea.

The only Neilson 0-4-0ST in that list appears to have been part of an order for Nova Scotia in 1859, but the numbers given as lost (four locomotives) doesn't tally with works lists (two locomotives).

I read in another publication something about them being deck cargo. 2 were cut loose over the side to save the vessel. Whether these were the same 2 (of 4?) I don't recall but I am certain that Nova Scotia was the area.

• Thanks 1

I've turned up Ricey's article in Model Railways June '78 and, compared with some of his real 'nuts and bolts' articles' it is a bit skimpy.  He used a Triang XT60 motor and Sharman 50:1 gears.  It must have been a real shoehorn fit into the body and he had to grind some of the motor away to fit into the firebox.  Wheels were made from Jackson wagon wheels turned down and fitted with tender wheel tyres, the ends of the front axle being turned down to fit the Jacksons but the back axle was 3/32", both to clear the motor and to fit the wheels.  Not a lot of detail given as to how he built the chassis or even designed it and apart from Iain's inimitable sketches, not a lot of info on the details of the body.  I'm sure that a modern motor and gearbox would be a lot easier to fit.  Wheel centres could be 3D printed to fit Alan Gibson tyres perhaps.  However, I do have an unused NOS set of Studiolith Manning Wardle wheels (2mm axles) which Iain says in the article could be a possible option.

19 hours ago, EddieB said:

It seems now that there were 2 complete locomotives, 2 loco's in knocked down form and a cargo of track components (rails and chairs) as ballast. At least 1 works-plate was recovered.

• Thanks 1