Biggleswade Weighbridge Building

trawest

I am on the lookout for any information relating to the Weighbridge Building (Controversially demolished by Network Rail 10 years ago) at Biggleswade. Any photographs regardless of how obscure a view of the building they may be or any architectural drawings or personal measurements would be appreciated or, if appropriate, contacts for my research that can be followed up. Willing to purchase information if required.

Any assistance appreciated.

Trawest

• RMweb Gold

I am on the lookout for any information relating to the Weighbridge Building (Controversially demolished by Network Rail 10 years ago) at Biggleswade. Any photographs regardless of how obscure a view of the building they may be or any architectural drawings or personal measurements would be appreciated or, if appropriate, contacts for my research that can be followed up. Willing to purchase information if required.

Trawest

I don't have anything but I'll ask around the club.

I do have Sandy's from all sides taken in 1977 but B'wades was bigger IIRC

Trawest

Thank you to "Theakerr" and "ChrisPBacon" for their prompt responses.

"Theakerr" - I do not currently have the Biggleswade DVD but a quick trawl of Ebay last night has resulted in a purchase.

"ChrisPBacon" - I am aware of the Biggleswade historical society's web page and had corresponded with them a couple of days ago to see what information they have. With regards to the photographs of the weighbridge building at Sandy. I would certainly be interested in seeing these if you are happy to do so.

Much appreciated.

Trawest 

Edited by trawest

• RMweb Gold

Here is Sandy's weighbridge building, scans were by a previous naff machine but show enough detail.

post-4738-0-05848600-1483609337_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-59507700-1483609349_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-72907300-1483609366_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-08987700-1483609380_thumb.jpg

Biggleswades was a later building and built to a different design, Sandy is original GN with bricks being used 'sparingly'.

• Like 1

Here is Sandy's weighbridge building, scans were by a previous naff machine but show enough detail.

attachicon.gifw0bridge 3.jpg

attachicon.gifw-bridge 1.jpg

attachicon.gifw-bridge 2.jpg

attachicon.gifw-bridge 4.jpg

Biggleswades was a later building and built to a different design, Sandy is original GN with bricks being used 'sparingly'.

The bricks may have been used sparingly but someone obviously put some thought into the design of the building to avoid the bare box that it had the potential to be. Liking this quirky building. Would I be expecting to much (other than providing these photos - thank you) to hope that you may have taken some measurements at the time. If not, what colour originally were the bricks (behind the muck & grime)?

Trawest

• RMweb Gold

I didn't take any measurements, I was only 14 at the time and I had a feeling that all would be swept away so just wandered about taking some pics.

The Station and yard were all built at the same time (1851/2) and of the same brick, like most it gained a layer of grime in quite a short time.

post-4738-0-86152500-1483613980.jpg

but in the mid 1980's it was cleaned by acid wash and water back to it's pale yellow colour.

post-4738-0-41649000-1483613993.jpg

This is how it looks today. 

IIRC Biggleswade was a slightly later building as the whole station was rebuilt from platform level to its present position on the bank, it uses a slightly different brick and again was cleaned in the mid 80's.

• RMweb Gold

I knew there be someone out the who would have something.

How about this.

post-4738-0-47419000-1483627713.jpg

Its a drawing from MRC inc some dimensions, I have a higher res version but too big to post here so can email it if you PM me.

The pic is courtesy of Bern Munday, our one time (well 34 years) chairman of EBMRS who after sniffing Mek Pak for several years while constructing the buildings for Finchley Road has regressed into ....we're not quite sure?

How about this.

attachicon.gifimage003.jpg

Its a drawing from MRC inc some dimensions, I have a higher res version but too big to post here so can email it if you PM me.

The pic is courtesy of Bern Munday, our one time (well 34 years) chairman of EBMRS who after sniffing Mek Pak for several years while constructing the buildings for Finchley Road has regressed into ....we're not quite sure?

ChrisPBacon

A PM has been sent with my e.mail address. Much appreciated.

Trawest

ChrisPBacon

A PM has been sent with my e.mail address. Much appreciated.

Trawest

Philip is our modelling officer in the London and North Western Railway Society, I could approach him for original information if you like?

Regards

Peter Stanton

• Like 1

Philip is our modelling officer in the London and North Western Railway Society, I could approach him for original information if you like?

Regards

Peter Stanton

Peter

If there is further information available to that already received concerning Biggleswade Weighbridge building and any further info to the photographs kindly shared by ChrisP Bacon on the building at Sandy, an approach to Philip would be very much appreciated. 

Trawest 

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Peter Stanton

Morning Pete, You've confused the club discussion on Finchley Roads weighbridge with this one, Bern had the drawing for B'wade which I've sent.

see you in Feb

Chris...................Dave.....Chris............Dave..

• 6 months later...

It has been a while since the original posting for information concerning Biggleswade Weighbridge Office was made. Whilst some very useful data has been gathered to enable a CAD Drawing to be started it always generates further questions.

The side window is an obvious addition to the original structure. Why was it added (improving the internal lighting conditions?) and when was it installed?

On another note I was googling St Neots Weighbridge office. I am assuming that it was only recently demolished as it appears in the satellite view on google maps and not on "Street View". Any information concerning this structure would be appreciated.

Trawest 

• RMweb Gold

The side window is an obvious addition to the original structure. Why was it added (improving the internal lighting conditions?) and when was it installed?

On another note I was googling St Neots Weighbridge office. I am assuming that it was only recently demolished as it appears in the satellite view on google maps and not on "Street View". Any information concerning this structure would be appreciated.

Trawest 

As far as I know the side window was original, it gave a view to the yard so that carts leaving the yard could be seen approaching, those heading into the yard had to wait at the gate until they were called forward.

St Neots Goods shed and weigh bridge was demolished a few years ago, I'm not sure if I've got anything on it but will check ( on another PC) 

Dave

I have a photograph that clearly shows the Weighbridge Office without the side window. Would suggest very early part of the 1900's (Before 1st world war). A rather ugly addition I consider. However, depending what period the building is to be modelled will depend if window to be included or not. Might as well be as accurate as possible.

Trawest 

• 1 month later...

Dave

I have a photograph that clearly shows the Weighbridge Office without the side window. Would suggest very early part of the 1900's (Before 1st world war). A rather ugly addition I consider. However, depending what period the building is to be modelled will depend if window to be included or not. Might as well be as accurate as possible.

Trawest 

Would you be able to share the photo please? I've already noticed that the plans and the photos don't entirely match. For example, the chimney isn't as the drawing.

How about this.

attachicon.gifimage003.jpg

Thanks to David above I had a go with making a version of this building in 7mm scale.

post-1485-0-00176000-1504976354_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-95464000-1504976356_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-85198700-1504976359_thumb.jpg

What do you think? Just need to add slates and work out how to paint London Bricks.

• RMweb Gold

Looks bloomin good to me.

They weren't a London Brick but a yellow. A lot of Biggleswade was rebuilt so it's probable the supply of bricks had come from GN company brickworks some of which were still in Lincolnshire. I'm pretty sure they're not a local brick which would have a bit more 'pink' in it.

• Like 1

Looks bloomin good to me.

They weren't a London Brick but a yellow. A lot of Biggleswade was rebuilt so it's probable the supply of bricks had come from GN company brickworks some of which were still in Lincolnshire. I'm pretty sure they're not a local brick which would have a bit more 'pink' in it.

The Biggleswade bricks are very similar to the whites that would have come from Arlesey? My parents house was a similar brick and was built in 1884 and I'm sure that was London Brick from Arlesey. Certainly the bricks didn't have any pick tones.

• RMweb Gold

The Biggleswade bricks are very similar to the whites that would have come from Arlesey? My parents house was a similar brick and was built in 1884 and I'm sure that was London Brick from Arlesey. Certainly the bricks didn't have any pick tones.

Arlesey white bricks really are very 'white' whereas the B'wade ones have a yellow tone. It is possible they are from Arlesey but I haven't seen them weather like that.

For info, The Arlesey brickworks didn't become part of London Brick until 1930(?) before that there were 4-5 private brickworks. One of them was "The Great Northern Brick Company" although I don't think it was a company one as it opened in 1852/3 and was possibly adopting the name from the recently opened ECML it was next to

This is an example of Arlesey whites when clean.

https://arcangelolombari.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/front-of-second-assylum-cottage-head-gardener-lived-here2.jpg

This was part of Fairfield Hospital.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1

Would you be able to share the photo please? I've already noticed that the plans and the photos don't entirely match. For example, the chimney isn't as the drawing.

The photograph I am referring to can be found on the Biggleswade Historical Society website. Whilst I purchased two photographs from them I did not actually glean any more information from these than I could have from their website pictures. My scanner is on the blink at the moment so am unable to provide you with a copy. You are correct in your observations that the plan of the building does not entirely match the photographs which is odd as the chap who made the drawings was the same person who did the site visit. However, thankfully someone made the attempt to record the building of which I appreciate. If I could make one observation regards your excellent model - I do not believe that your main window is represented in the manner in which it was constructed. From the information I have (the BRM DVD Biggleswade being a good source detail) the window frames for each "section" appear to sit proud of the main frame. Not easy to explain but the B&W photo referred to on the Biggleswade Historical society site gives a better clue as to how the windows are put together. It is a lot easier to measure up an existing building than one that no longer exists but I suppose part of the enjoyment and satisfaction of the hobby is the journey in obtaining the information in the first place.   

Impressed how quickly you get your CAD Drawings to a finished article. Keep up the work rate as I do look forward to each model you produce.

I have some pictures of St Neots goods shed and weighbridge building. I need to locate the files on an old PC and I'll post them when I do.

It would be appreciated if you are able to share your pictures of the St Neots buildings. I have developed an appreciation of the smaller and less well recorded buildings such as these weighbridge offices. Daves photos of Sandy's long demolished Weighbridge office being a case in point as I have not found anything of this in any of my searches so far. May be I have been looking in the wrong places.   

Regards

Trawest