Heljan 1366 Dcc sound fitting guide

gooderz

Been a few weeks now since the Heljan 1366 has come out and thought i'd share my method of fitting the loco with Dcc sound.

It is, without doubt, a real pig of a model to kit out with sound and thus, requires a fair amount of patience and skill as the decoder needs to slide down the side of the tank and speaker in the bunker.

First thing you need to do is remove the cab via 4 screws underneath. Before sliding the tanks off the weight over the motor, you need to remove the tank supports either side and then remove the tanks. Note, it'll need some persuasion to initially move.

The weight over the motor which requires removal is secure via 3 screws. 2 on top of the weight and a 27mm long screw from underneath. The decoder, in my case, a loksound micro (loaded with sounds from the Chinnor and Princes Risborough railway), needs to be hardwired straight to the motor.

post-17685-0-29738700-1483611704_thumb.jpg

Once the weight is off, you'll need to cut off the driver side of the tank and then file it off ensuring the motor is still going to be secured. I used a grinding wheel to do it.

post-17685-0-77672800-1483611731_thumb.jpg

Once the weight has been cut and filed off, re-add the motor threading the left hand wire over the end of the weight and then screw it back down. lay the decoder in the section of the weight and then carefully slide the tanks back over the decoder to make sure the chip doesnt get damaged. a bit of trial and error is the way to go with this as you may need to keep filing more of the weight off until it slides of the chip. 

post-17685-0-17529400-1483611740_thumb.jpg

post-17685-0-99900200-1483611746_thumb.jpg

Once the chip is in place and tanks back, you'll need to cut a small hole offset from the cab front at the bottom (make sure it wont be visible) to thread the speaker wires through to the bunker. The speaker to use in the bunker is a flat sugar cube or something like an Iphone 6 speaker. when the speaker is in, screw the cab back down and you're ready to go!

Hope that will be useful to a few folk. :locomotive:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Yes, very helpful. A bit more detail below. The pannier support brackets are a very tight fit and have a touch of glue. Pull them down and away. 

Also, when you slide the tank body off you need to prise the sides apart slightly as the tank drain cover catches on the front support bracket. 

If there’s someone else to hold the chassis while you do this it’s a help. Putting it back is easier 

Finally, the long screw that goes through the weight forces the front of the body up near the chimney upwards. Look carefully and you can see the witness marks. Pictures below

E0F3DF0F-D05E-477B-B85C-CF42C79D176B.jpeg

17D12F45-E887-432B-A390-D6588C85D3F0.jpeg

24FFC11A-A88F-4CD8-B5D9-4AB9978533CB.jpeg

182F898D-2D91-4C9D-A4D1-870A3016004A.jpeg

376EC2B2-5CC0-47A9-9ECA-D21C9D9DD8C3.jpeg

8C47BE60-6C69-4261-8530-3E7E4D312D49.jpeg

Edited by Mel_H

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Grimfool said:

Hi I have just purchased a secondhand 1366 and want to fit sound to it. however looking at your posts on the subject  the photos listed do not show when I click on them. Is there any way I can access them?

Not unless the op can re-upload them.  Many photos were lost some time ago when the forum had to change to a new host.

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2023 at 15:21, Grimfool said:

Hi I have just purchased a secondhand 1366 and want to fit sound to it. however looking at your posts on the subject  the photos listed do not show when I click on them. Is there any way I can access them?

I am currently setting up to attempt this myself and will try to follow the same process and document with pictures and video. I will update accordingly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2023 at 17:34, LittleWesternModelRailway said:

I am currently setting up to attempt this myself and will try to follow the same process and document with pictures and video. I will update accordingly

Any updates?