Mr Portillo does not know proper pronounciation of a town

• RMweb Gold

Are you local? This is a local shop for local people. There's nothing for you here.

:jester:

Jason

Residents of the town of Royston Vasey would probably know that the pronunciation of the village on the opposite side of the valley (Tintwistle) is nothing like it's spelling. BTW I was asked the question "Are you local?" there long before the League of Gentlemen was made and several of the characters still live there or nearby.

Any of you 'saes' experts wish to try.....

Penycoedcae ?
or just plain
Coedcae Lane ?
or
Galon Uchaf ?
or
Llanedeyrn ?
or
Cathays ?
or
Canton ?

or

Beddau ?

or

Creigiau ?

or

Pontyclun ?

or

Rhiw Saeson ?

We've got plenty with which to tease you, west of Offa's Dyke.

Best I heard was Jeremy Vine on Eggheads talking about the musical festival held in a village just north of Banbury as the 'Crop ready' festival. What's that said the wife, the one before the Harvest festival! The village is spelt Cropredy and pronounced Croperdy.

The barmaid in a pub I drink in does that.

She gets dragged along to it by people who are Folk music fans. Then tells everyone that she's just been to Crop Ready Festival. :laugh: 

Jason

You can tell an East Anglian by how they pronounce Magdalen. I do believe that it is pronounced the same way in Oxford.... At Liverpool Street I seem to recall it being pronounced both ways (by two different announcers).

Beddau - one of the worst places I’ve visited, however it is pronounced (is it also the town the literally ran a Paediatrician out of town)?

It’s not just me: http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/beddau-welsh-for-satans-arse.html

Best, Pete.

One of my former staff who lived there used to say it was like an eastern European town from communist days improved only by having McDonalds and Burger King.

I made the mistake of going to Darlaston once and it was shut.....

I wouldn't fret too much; a Spanish-speaking friend tells me that the accepted pronunciation of his name in the UK bears little relation to either the correct Castilian or Latin American one.

I suspect the current Health Secretary's name is the most commonly mis-pronounced name around at the moment.

You wouldn't want to go to Caldmore, although admittedly it's not as bad as it used to be.

I'll have you know I have relatives that live in Caldmore although no, they are not evening horizontal leisure consultants fond of red illuminations nor do they worship in a Mosque.  Not too sure how much longer they will live there though especially when I told them what they could buy here in Wales for what they could get for their house.

I don't even want to go to Walsall!

Oi.  Mind you my relatives from Walsall don't go shopping in Walsall now so you might have a point.

One of my former staff who lived there used to say it was like an eastern European town from communist days improved only by having McDonalds and Burger King.

It has a nice art gallery (not sure for how much longer though) and the Arboretum traffic junction is enormous fun, like playing snooker whilst driving through the town in that you always have to get a red before you get a green.

​Regarding Old Costessey, when I first joined Norfolk County Council I thought I'd impress knowing that it isn't pronounced as it is spelt...only to be harangued by a local for pronouncing it like an abbreviation for a swimming costume (with a long "S" rather than a short "S" sound).  I think I would have caused less offence had I pronounced it "coss-tess-ey". 

• RMweb Premium

There regular mangling of Slaithwaite (slawit) by the anouncers on Manchester Victoria used to be quiet painfull only  to be out done by the travel totty on radio2 s varied attempts whenever the A62 is blocked 

Many years ago, on my first visit to the place to visit EXPO EM North, I got a little off track and went into a local newsagents shop, where I asked the way to "Not sure how you pronounce it, I have heard Slay thwait and Slough it (like plough it but with an S)". The chap behind the counter said "You mean Slathwut". And he was a local!

Being able to pronounce a place name probably depends on having heard the correct pronunciation yourself. Some people do not know how to pronounce Scottish place names such as Wemyss Bay or Milngavie, conversely others cannot pronounce certain English names such as Thame or Bicester.

I once had a woman ask how to get to ball cock. Turned out she ment Balloch

• RMweb Gold

Once whilst on a train back from London, the Asian guard announced ( over the PA system ) the forthcoming stations we were to call at.

Think along the lines of Micheal Bates in character for 'It ain't half hot Mum'....

Reading was 'Reed in'

Didcot was 'Diddycut'

Swindon was Swine dinn....

Rob

i once cringed at hearing someone say Harrogate as "Harrow-gate"

That's what I would say when presented with those letters.

What should I say instead?

Kent has some good ones- Wrotham is "Rootam", Lympgne is "Lim" (I may have spelt that wrong), and Sandwich is "Sanger".

One of those might not be entirely true... ;)

​Watching Great Railway journeys tonight he is going to my favourite county Northumberland and what does he do mispronounces Alnmouth his team let him down today.Interesting visit to the 800 factory looks impressive and many local people employed.

You educated folk from the big town might know all about such matters. However a chap of Spanish descent associated with Wingrave can be forgiven for such a transgression in my book.

Bernard

There regular mangling of Slaithwaite (slawit) by the anouncers on Manchester Victoria used to be quiet painfull only  to be out done by the travel totty on radio2 s varied attempts whenever the A62 is blocked

I won't comment on the spelling, but I feel we are being hard on the Radio 2 travel team. As these discussions have shown, not only is the "correct" pronunciation of many places only known by the locals and a few others, in many places the locals can't even agree. Radio 2 is delivering a nationwide service, and if I am driving through a strange area, I want the names broadcast in a way I can understand and recognise on road signs. I agree the local radio stations should know better, but even then, using the Travel Report feature on my car radio, I will pick up the nearest local radio, and it would be useful to be able to know where they are talking about.

One thing I dislike about the travel reports is the use of local names for junctions, such as the Polish War Memorial on the A40. Regular commuters know these names, but there is nothing obvious to identify them for the stranger.

As for Mr. Portillo, I do agree he should get the pronunciation correct, particularly as the cameraman seemed to dwell for long periods on the station nameboards!

I've actually heard Alnmouth pronounced pretty much the way Michael P did during an announcement on a train that was about to stop there.  The guard (for I assume it was he) definitely had a Northumberland accent.  It's not a million miles from the way that Wikipedia says it should be pronounced, either, apart from the intrusive schwa between the l and the n - which is, as benachie pointed out, more or less the way the local tourist board says it should be pronounced.

The OP was being very nit-picky IMO (hence my pedantic response!)

And to all of you I say: Coire an t-Sneachda.  Make sense of that if you can.  And then listen to umpteen subtly different pronunciations offered online, with the variations being mostly due to which part of the Highlands and Islands the Gaelic speaker comes from.

And then tell us that Portillo's pronunciation of Alnmouth was not "proper".

Kent has some good ones- Wrotham is "Rootam", Lympgne is "Lim" (I may have spelt that wrong), and Sandwich is "Sanger".

Lympne is indeed pronounced 'Lim', though I have heard a French colleague pronounce it as 'Lypne'- mind you, they do the same sort of thing with place names. The name of the city written 'Reims' (or sometimes 'Rheims') is generally pronounced as though it was spelt 'Rens'.

The pronunciation of one place name which is obviously debatable shouldn't really detract from Mr. Portillo's efforts and the passion he shows for the railways; in my view he's one of the best ambassadors there has been to encourage people to get out and enjoy railways and not just the headline acts; I believe next Friday's programme includes the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway.

• RMweb Gold

Sandwiches are generally called sarnies by a lot of people, but I know not the origin of that. I was passed out as a signalman there. 

Alunm'th would be my attempt at the Northumbrian town. Based upon the rendition of my late Geordie father-in-law, who was born in Pegswood & went to skool in Morpeth. We drank at the Ship at Alnmouth on more than one New Year's Day.

You even get people living in places that can't pronounce the town name. Or change it to sound posher.

Shrewsbury for example. It's Shrews Bury, not Shrows Bury. The clue is in the football teams nickname.

Or Bache near Chester. It used to be pronounced Backer, now it's Bayche as in face.

Jason

No, it's definitely Shrowsbury, whether or not the locals agree!

In Leicestershire, we liked to maximise the chances of outsiders getting it wrong, presenting them with the double-jeopardy of Hoby and Groby.

Archived