Mr Portillo does not know proper pronounciation of a town

Any of you 'saes' experts wish to try.....

Penycoedcae ?

or just plain

Coedcae Lane ?

or

Galon Uchaf ?

or

Llanedeyrn ?

or

Cathays ?

or

Canton ?

or

Beddau ?

or

Creigiau ?

or

Pontyclun ?

or

Rhiw Saeson ?

We've got plenty with which to tease you, west of Offa's Dyke.

(a) No

(b) Why do you think we built it?

:onthequiet:

You can tell an East Anglian by how they pronounce Magdalen. I do believe that it is pronounced the same way in Oxford.... At Liverpool Street I seem to recall it being pronounced both ways (by two different announcers).

Beddau - one of the worst places I’ve visited, however it is pronounced (is it also the town the literally ran a Paediatrician out of town)?

It’s not just me: http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/beddau-welsh-for-satans-arse.html

Best, Pete.

It is pronounced 'Maudlin' in both Universities, but only Cambridge can spell it properly.

• RMweb Premium

One of my former staff who lived there used to say it was like an eastern European town from communist days improved only by having McDonalds and Burger King.

When I told people I worked in Walsall (more than 20 years ago now) they thought it was in Poland.

When I told people I worked in Walsall (more than 20 years ago now) they thought it was in Poland.

I thought I'd missed some interesting parts there when I kept hearing news reports of the rise of Solidarity in the shipyards of Walsall.

• RMweb Premium

In 1982 when I heard that Argentina had invaded the Falklands my first thought was to wonder how they'd reached Scotland and my second thought was if they're up there they'll be in England next.

• RMweb Premium

Some (and personally I include most of the "thwaites" in this) are probably the result of accent more than the "correct" pronounciation, although clearly there's a very blurred boundary there.

• RMweb Gold

Once whilst on a train back from London, the Asian guard announced ( over the PA system ) the forthcoming stations we were to call at.

Think along the lines of Micheal Bates in character for 'It ain't half hot Mum'....

Reading was 'Reed in'

Didcot was 'Diddycut'

Swindon was Swine dinn....

Rob

Typical alas.  But not half as good as an obviously very new , probably young, female station announcer at Didcot many years ago who used to greet arriving trains with 'this is Didd-a-licot, this is Didd-a-licot.

To return to the OP.   As a local Northumbrian resident I found MP's pronunciation quite accurate apart from one occasion when he said Aln-muth.

As usual, quite an entertaining programme.

Mal... in darkest Northumberland

ps locals in certain parts of Northumberland are more likely to say 'Alan-Mooth' !  

How about "Crewe Kurn" , (largely the fault of the railway) replacing the correct "Crookurn"

Make it shorter - take out the second 'r'. :sungum:  Like nearby Beaminster - take out the 'a'.

edit. Yep, in the 1950s/60s I grew up the deep dark area of central Essex, near an area known as the 'Roodens' officially spelt Roothing, with the gradual change of the villages from working to commuter, it is now 'Roding' (pronounced as 'Roading'. Just thought I'd add !?!?

It is pronounced 'Maudlin' in both Universities, but only Cambridge can spell it properly.

Whereas a true East Anglian (ie, a Norfolk bor - those Suffolk people are of course deeply suspect) knows that "Magdalen" is actually pronounced "Maaaaaaag-du'-lun". It used to be a joy to hear the guard announce our approach to "Maaaaaaag-du'-lunnn Ruw'd", and I still resent its name change under NSE to the rather soulless "Watlington".

Generally, though, our Norfolk technique is to ignore the middle syllable in three-syllable place-names. Some might say this is idleness, I prefer to think of it as paying due regard to economy - hence:

Hunstanton becomes Hun'ston

Snettisham becomes "Snet-sham"

Etc

Actually, most of us locals who don't live there pronounce Snettisham as "Snet", with a sort of deliberate attempt to make it sound like "snot". Here's a link illustrating the delicious local accent (now, sadly, fast disappearing).

Back on topic, the Norfolk village of Cley (its name derives from the muddy stuff) is now almost universally pronounced "Cly" (as in "eye"); a trend started by posh incoming birdwatchers in the Edwardian period which has now infected most of the locals. Very dispiriting.

Another Portillo fan here (which is strange, because when he was a politician I positively hated him).

Paul

Apologies - I posted the wrong link above. I meant to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJl5Vd_FK-M

You even get people living in places that can't pronounce the town name. Or change it to sound posher.

Shrewsbury for example. It's Shrews Bury, not Shrows Bury. The clue is in the football teams nickname.

Or Bache near Chester. It used to be pronounced Backer, now it's Bayche as in face.

Jason

Knowing many people from "Salop", the nobs seem to call it Shrowsbury, the middlings Shrewsbury and the oiks Shewsbury.

Whereas a true East Anglian (ie, a Norfolk bor - those Suffolk people are of course deeply suspect) knows that "Magdalen" is actually pronounced "Maaaaaaag-du'-lun". It used to be a joy to hear the guard announce our approach to "Maaaaaaag-du'-lunnn Ruw'd", and I still resent its name change under NSE to the rather soulless "Watlington".

Generally, though, our Norfolk technique is to ignore the middle syllable in three-syllable place-names. Some might say this is idleness, I prefer to think of it as paying due regard to economy - hence:

Hunstanton becomes Hun'ston

Snettisham becomes "Snet-sham"

Etc

Actually, most of us locals who don't live there pronounce Snettisham as "Snet", with a sort of deliberate attempt to make it sound like "snot". Here's a link illustrating the delicious local accent (now, sadly, fast disappearing).

Back on topic, the Norfolk village of Cley (its name derives from the muddy stuff) is now almost universally pronounced "Cly" (as in "eye"); a trend started by posh incoming birdwatchers in the Edwardian period which has now infected most of the locals. Very dispiriting.

Another Portillo fan here (which is strange, because when he was a politician I positively hated him).

Paul

Fascinated to learn that 'Clye' was an imported, not dialect, pronunciation.  I never knew that!

My favourite is Stiffkey.  Now Stookey does sound local to me, by please correct me if not.

I keep pronouncing my own Achingham as it is spelt, but I suppose it should follow the real world examples and be rendered Ache 'nam.  If anyone has yet to see the film of Betjeman's journey on the Lynn to Hunstanton line, please do so.  It is a joy, and, for Betjeman, his destination is definitely Hun 'ston

I do like the Portaloo, as he has always been known in our family, programmes, when I catch them.  A number of ex-politicians provide reminders that they can be quite decent human beings, even where they are from what is often perceived as the Nasty Party. I find it somewhat reassuring to find such evidence of individuals decent enough to have engaged in politics from genuine motives and that everyone is not always cynical all of the time.    

• RMweb Premium

But the worst one concerns Cambria.  It is commonly pronounce Came- bria the logic(!!) being that it is similar to Cambridge, and therefore the 'a' is long.  Also, AAARghh!

In South Wales it's pronounced Cam-br(eye)a, and the second syllable in Cambrian is the same as the name Brian.

... My favourite is Stiffkey.  Now Stookey does sound local to me, by please correct me if not. ...

Sorry: the locals pronounce it as it is spelt; it's those pesky incomers again, calling it "Stoo'key". 

For those unfamiliar with Stiffkey (a delightful coastal village - very picturesque), it is most famous for its former Rector, a man who took a surprisingly active interest in, er, rescuing fallen young women from the streets of London. His parishioners objected that he was neglecting them and behaving immorally. Ultimately he was defrocked. So far, so interesting. But he then got a job in a circus where, unbelievably, he was eaten by a lion. Full story here.

Paul

For those unfamiliar with Stiffkey (a delightful coastal village - very picturesque), it is most famous for its former Rector, a man who took a surprisingly active interest in, er, rescuing fallen young women from the streets of London. His parishioners objected that he was neglecting them and behaving immorally. Ultimately he was defrocked. So far, so interesting. But he then got a job in a circus where, unbelievably, he was eaten by a lion. Full story here.

Well... you learn something every day.

Sorry: the locals pronounce it as it is spelt; it's those pesky incomers again, calling it "Stoo'key". 

Paul

Again, fascinating.  I had learned in my youth of the infamous Rector of Stiffkey principally through Ronald Blythe's Age of Illusion, which was not, as I recall, a particularly supportive account.  I was surprised to see so much doubt thrown upon his alleged misdemeanours in the Wiki entry.

Apropos pronunciation, I note the footnote on Wiki, which is worth quoting in full:

Some sources, including Ronald Blythe (1964) and Matthew Parris (1998), maintain that the village name is pronounced "Stewkey". Davidson's principal biographers Cullen (1975) and Tucker (2007) found that the locals pronounced the name as spelt. Cullen records that "Stewkey" refers only to the "Stewkey Blues" cockles, found on the nearby seashore

One lives and learns!

Archived