Mr Portillo does not know proper pronounciation of a town

• RMweb Gold

There is a rising cadence? At the and of each sentence? Or phrase?  Which makes everything sound like a question?

It seems quite popular? In Australia and America? But most kids over here do it too?

It is quite difficult for some old fogies such as myself to cope with. To our ears it suggests that interlocutor is unsure of what he or she is saying and is constantly seeking reassurance, whereas, I am told, it is more to do with the speaker seeking to establish that the listener has understood what is said to him or her.

Bl**dy annoying, either way.  

BTW, Ludlow is well-worth a visit, IMHO

Ludlow is a cracking little place (though I'd die of boredom living there if the poverty didn't get me first).  Half timbered buildings, proper castle on a big rock, you can take rowing boats out on the river, some very nice places to eat, and a very groovy sort of anything/knick knacks Sunday Market which thinks it's an antiques fair but is really much better than that.

I always smile passing the sign on the A30 just past Okehampton for Longwoodswidger, no idea how to pronounce it.  I cannot get past the mental image of someone in the local pub explaining that 'oi be a longwoodswidgerer, and oi do widger (shades of Round the Horne's late lamented Ramblin' Sid Rumpo) all the live long day in the long woods.  Sometimes, oi 'as a pint with the mediumlengthwoodswidgerers, but oi don't be 'aving nuffin to do with they shortwoodswidgerers'.

By which time I'm nearly in Bodmin...

• RMweb Gold

I am an old codger who feels the same as Edwardian about rising cadences at the ends of sentences, but a far worse crime in my book is the Americanism of using it to repeat what I've just told you as a question, as in (me) 'I'm going up the pub after tea', (criminal moron) 'you're going up the pub after tea?'.  Yes you knuckle dragging merkanised fool, didn't you hear me, how many times have I got to repeat myself, I just bloody said I'm going... oh, you were only taking a polite interest and have tricked me into an inappropriate response, my psychiatrist warned me about those...

Merkan sitcoms are full of this idiocy.  Bit OT but I feel better for having had the rant...

he lives just west of Glasgow (which is apparently Glez-gee to many)

That definitely will show you as a foreigner. :-)   The local pronunciation is "Glesca" with the "s" tending towards "z" and the "c" tending towards "g" and the "a" at the end is open.  In Glasgow, Edinburgh is referred to as "Embra". :-)

Jim.

The English is easy, tame and bister.

Now there is a nice layout based on a town up the road that has a picture next to its name to aid pronunciation, Towcester, the place where you brown your bread.

If you want a greater challenge, try Norfolk, where they have Happisburgh and New Costessey.

Dave

I have lived in New Costessey all my life. Never found it a problem myself. :sungum:

That's the second time I've seen the pronunciation of 'Wemyss Bay' mentioned on here. I grew up less than ten miles away away from there, so I know how we pronounced it, but I would be interested to hear how you would.

I grew up in Oxford and moved to Scotland in 1984, so I can pronounce all the place names in my original post ! However, one I did get wrong was Burntisland; For some unknown reason I thought this was Burnt-Is-Land, instead of Burnt-Island.

BTW The correct pronunciation of Swindon is of course Swinedon (according to Oxford Utd fans anyway !)

• RMweb Premium

BTW The correct pronunciation of Swindon is of course Swinedon (according to Oxford Utd fans anyway !)

And when they are supporting the national side that'll be Ing-er-land.............

Dave

I grew up in Oxford and moved to Scotland in 1984, so I can pronounce all the place names in my original post !

I wasn't implying you couldn't, and I apologise if it read like I was. I genuinely was asking how you would pronounce "Wemyss Bay". The version given in post#104 is the usual way, but the local way was more like I wrote in post#116.

• RMweb Premium

I always smile passing the sign on the A30 just past Okehampton for Longwoodswidger, no idea how to pronounce it.  I cannot get past the mental image of someone in the local pub explaining that 'oi be a longwoodswidgerer, and oi do widger (shades of Round the Horne's late lamented Ramblin' Sid Rumpo) all the live long day in the long woods.  Sometimes, oi 'as a pint with the mediumlengthwoodswidgerers, but oi don't be 'aving nuffin to do with they shortwoodswidgerers'.

Did you mean Broadwoodwidger?  I know of no Longwoodswidger  and neither do the various mapping services.  It's "BRIDGE-er".  

Anyone for Trottiscliffe or Ruyton XI Towns?

Related article of interest here http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A19773499

I thought I'd missed some interesting parts there when I kept hearing news reports of the rise of Solidarity in the shipyards of Walsall.

I think a shipyard in either town would be quite an interesting proposition.  :)  

Round these here parts some people have a lot of trouble with (rather than in)  Bewdley.

Variations run from Bugley to Brewgley via Brewgerly

Another one that crops up on a regular basis is a small midlands town known as Birmingham. . I do not know of this mysterious place called "Birminham" that I hear people speak of.

There's a g in the middle for heaven's sake.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Another one that crops up on a regular basis is a small midlands town known as Birmingham. . I do not know of this mysterious place called "Birminham" that I hear people speak of.

There's a g in the middle for heaven's sake.

Not in "Broom", surely ;)

I once had a woman ask how to get to ball cock. Turned out she ment Balloch

Or Ballock, near Lock Lomond as most from south of Hadrians Wall pronounce it, you really need to work on that CH , breathe out with the tongue firmly pressed against the back of the palette and get the flem flowing!!  (Also applies to learning German apparently!)

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me.  Driving the early turn one morning (big empty double-decker trundling through Camborne at 6am) I was flashed by an artic coming towards me.  He waved me down, leaned out and in the broadest Welsh accent asked "Look you boyo.  Can you tell me the way to ITH-LOW-gun?"  

Poor chap was pointing to a well-creased map with a begrimed finger-nail aimed at Illogan.  He'd naturally used the Welsh pronunciation of the double L.  In Cornwall it's simply "LUGG'n"

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me.  Driving the early turn one morning (big empty double-decker trundling through Camborne at 6am) I was flashed by an artic coming towards me.  He waved me down, leaned out and in the broadest Welsh accent asked "Look you boyo.  Can you tell me the way to ITH-LOW-gun?"  

Poor chap was pointing to a well-creased map with a begrimed finger-nail aimed at Illogan.  He'd naturally used the Welsh pronunciation of the double L.  In Cornwall it's simply "LUGG'n"

LIke a clearly London based lorry driver who hailed me from his cab one morning up the Rhymney Valley and said 'Am I on the right road for Why-strad My-natch mate?'   I replied that he was very lucky to have asked me as most of the locals wouldn't have had a clue where he was talking about.

When I sold tickets at Reading a regular pronunciation of the GWR's majestic London terminus was 'Padderton'.

Strange really, considering that the majestic London terminus accessible from Reading is spelt W-A-T-E-R-L-O-O.

No idea how you get to "Padderton" from that...

;)

• RMweb Premium

Brother Cadfael seems to have lived in Shrewsbury, not some earlier rendering! Of course it is really Amwythig only Offa got his Dyke in the wrong place.

For those of you who have passed the first two lessons in Welsh pronunciation, try:

Llanrhiadr yng Ngedewain, The original name of Newtown (which was new not long after the period of the Cadfael novels).

Or Llanllwchaiarn/Llanllwchaern or Aberhafesp/Aberhafesb - in both cases Powys can't agree on which is the correct spelling, and there are road signs with both, but old maps are just the same so you can't really blame the administrators from Llandrindod.

One that grates on me is the Arriva Trains Wales announcements on the train to Brummagen.

In English the train stops at "Smeddick" (dd = long sound as in other) whereas in Welsh it is "Smethwick (th is in thin). Of course if you are Welsh the latter is a completely logical spelling.

I lived for six years in a city called, in English, Peja. But in Albanian nouns and adjectives decline, so depending on what part of speech it was it could be Pejë (the ë being silent), Peja, Pejën (or was it Pejës - my Albanian is rapidly being squeezed out by Welsh) etc.

And I was pleased to see a mention of the schwar (spelling uncertain), as that is the sound of theAlbanian  ë on those occasions when it is pronounced, as in the middle of a word.

I am glad we have all been shewn the correct way. For the GWR there was no other spelling.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Strange really, considering that the majestic London terminus accessible from Reading is spelt W-A-T-E-R-L-O-O.

;)

On the Bakerloo Line!

;)

But the best part of Waterloo is not a terminus, it's a through station between London Bridge and Charing Cross.........

I often wonder if native Welsh speakers ever mistakenly pronounced the name of Crosville (made up, as I'm sure most know, by the two founders names (Messrs CROSland and de VILLE) as a Welsh word, which would have given the local buses the name Craws-filth-eh  (roughly).  Even as a Welsh learner I still sometimes mistakenly read certain English words in a Welsh form.

• RMweb Premium

Aberhafesp/Aberhafesb - in both cases Powys can't agree on which is the correct spelling

In the Celtic language group P and B are often interchangeable so both can be considered correct.

Archived