Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Slightly selfish here? I never managed to get any of the real locos photographed yesterday due to the crowds. Does anyone have any they could post for me please? I believe there were 5 of them.

Thanks in advance,

Stewart

I just got back. Here are a few straight off my phone:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENssgo9cLyBA9cvF2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ZeSgDxlPHyamrpI3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u3YsNEPkKPRNYbyi2

(People unavoidably in shot, I'm afraid.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

FYI,

On the kernow stand future limited editions were on display,

These are:

50007 with black cast plates Gw150

50010 large logo with black roof

47625 City of Truro, weathered blue

47712 Lady Diana Spencer Scotrail

Mk3 DVT NR Yellow.

Unfortunately photos not allowed. (I did ask).

I was there yesterday (first time visitor as it usually clashes with the WMSA's Worcester Christmas Market outing and party) and had a good time.  Highlight of the show for me was Leighton Buzzard (Linslade). 

However- an observation- I wasn't particularly struck by how the exhibition had been laid out, or by the 'you are here' signs.  Laying it out in odd blocks like that- well reading this thread this morning suggests I missed at least one of those blocks and possibly more.  The 'you are here' signs- whose bright spark idea was it to orientate them at 90 degrees to the layout of the hall?  I possess a degree in Architecture, and, I like to think, a fairly spatially aware imagination.  Yet I struggled to make head or tail of the hall in relation to the map and from what I saw and experienced I was not alone.  (Had to explain to one poor guy four times roughly how to get where he was looking to go).   

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoyed my day at Warley although my dogs were barking by about 3pm. Some lovely layouts to see and plenty of stands with things to buy and see. Nice friendly atmosphere and plenty of helpful people. I was able to complete my shopping list quickly then spend the rest of the time browsing,chatting and watching. Nothing really to disappoint except given that Heljan had let Hattons have an example of its 47xx to view it would have been good to see one on their stand.

Well done Dapol for selling 3 wagons for £20 ( makes Bachmanns 3 for £60 look a bit pricey)

Thanks to Digitrains for great service, bought my decoder and had the sound project loaded whilst I waited.

Thanks to Warley members for another great show.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this post belongs in the model shops section :-)

But here’s the 1967 shop, nothing changes however, prices aren’t displayed :-)

What a great idea. However, that collection of stock in the windows of the 'Shop' looks like a lot of my existing collection!

Phil

• Like 2

My personal mission has been aborted due to the fragile signalling system between Yeovil and Exeter.

Looking at it positively, I've just arrived home twelve hours early and a couple of hundred quid better off............

Have a good day everyone else.

John

Should have gone the other way. My train to Exeter was an on time arrival. Although I did wonder heather there was a challenge on to work out how many up services NR could fit into the section between Honiton and Yeovil.

Ian

( who spent the day riding up the Dawlish sea wall rather than Warley)

Spent virtually the entire opening hours there yesterday, and still didn't cover all of it, perhaps as a result of spending too much time in front of some of the layouts, such was the standard of modelling and entertainment value of them. Mostyn, Ijsselstain, Ellerton Rd, Grindley Brook, Shap and Ilkeston Town were just a few of the standouts for me but there were plenty of others, too much to fully appreciate in one day I'm afraid.

Spent more than expected, covered my list and some more though it seemed the bargains of past years were few and far between, only Ellis Clark managed to prise much more than I'd planned on buying with some well priced Bachmann wagons. A green TOPS 20 was tempting but managed to resist, though picked up a couple of Railroad Mk2s from Cheltenham Models for a reasonable £25 a pair. The Bachmann returns did little for me though, the prices were higher than perfect tackle from many other stands.

• Like 1

FYI,

On the kernow stand future limited editions were on display,

These are:

50007 with black cast plates Gw150

50010 large logo with black roof

47625 City of Truro, weathered blue

47712 Lady Diana Spencer Scotrail

Mk3 DVT NR Yellow.

Unfortunately photos not allowed. (I did ask).

Was 47712 in ScotRail "blue stripe" livery or one of the BR blue incarnations?

My second visit to Warley this year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it is big, and yes it is busy, but at least it is extremely popular and well -attended !

An aside for anyone still dubious about HS2; On my way home a down 11-car Pendolino arrived at International; Passengers were already standing when it arrived, and those trying to board had almost to force their way in - And this is on a service running every 20 minutes !

What a great idea. However, that collection of stock in the windows of the 'Shop' looks like a lot of my existing collection!

Phil

I was thinking the same myself. 

I wasn't born back then, but looking through my kit pile it's like a selection of left overs from around 1967 that nobody seemed to want. All bought on eBay or exhibitions. Airfix, Kitmaster, K's, Wills, GEM and even a couple of Jamieson kits. :)

Jason

Just got home from an enjoyable day - didn't quite manage to see everything (you really need two days to see it all, was working yesterday so couldn't go) but I managed to get at least a glimpse of every excellent layout.  Didn't hang around for too long in front of most of them as I didn't want people to think I was trying to hog space.  Layout of the hall was a bit haphazard as others have said but the organisers probably did their level best to cram as much in as possible for us to see!

Favourite layouts of mine included Whiteacres (which really did have a bit of everything), Saltdean (beautiful LB&SCR locos), Mostyn (interesting concept with Rail Blue and a derelict station) and the Braga funicular railway.  I would have liked to have taken longer to pore over Goathland as well but couldn't get near it throughout the day.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures - I left the photo-taking to those who are actually good at it, unlike me. :P

Edited by Dave Goddard
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Regarding Warley being a "consumer-fest":

We modellers demand that the the manufacturers make great products and they generally do (obviously).

So it should not be a surprise that, when a show/exhibition is likely to draw in many potential customers, the manufacturers and retailers do their best to sell their products to the visitors and we, in turn, eagerly purchase them.

And of course the consumerism was only a part of the show. Meeting up with old friends, seeing some great models and watching layouts being put through their paces were equal parts.

Buying products made by other people is an essential part of the hobby - that way we all benefit from the skills, resources and experience of others.

In the end what matters is whether your purchases give you harmless pleasure. (Note: "harmless"...)

That's the base, selfish reason for buying things but if you can then also deploy those purchases to give other people pleasure too, then you're making a positive contribution to the hobby and your fellow men and women.

• Like 4

Second day visit today and thoroughly worth it :) much less crowded than yesterday and I managed to stand at the Bachmann sales stand and pick up a 1F for £60 :) when I looked in the bag, they had chucked in a couple of Scenecraft market stalls for nothing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There was a comment previously about poor running on several of the small scale layouts, which I would agree with, but this one was a marked exception:

The 2mm FS layout, Llangerisech (B91)

It was flawless, everything whilst I was observing was so smooth in operation. and it was very nicely built as well.

Well done whoever deserves it!

Some anomalies I spotted on layouts:

Manual operation of Kadees (?), If you are doing that why not remove the pins?

3 link couplings on Mk1 coaches (really?), operated with "hand of God" of course!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been 3d scanned and whilst I am now virtual, I am proud to announce a limited edition of Just 5 OO gauge mini-adbs will be available in a few weeks time and will be hand painted by a 7 year old before being placed at various places on my layout, this meaning release 1 of Moi is a complete sell out.

Yes Modelu with its 3d scanning people, What a great idea.

Whilst I was standing still for the 2-3 minutes it took to cover my extra large frame from top to toe, and above, I couldn’t help thinking this what it must have felt like 120 years ago when Victorians had to pose motionless to be recorded for posterity on a glass plate for a picture.

I can’t help thinking this idea has potential to be a lot bigger than mini-me on a layout but a much wider mass market. (And I don’t mean a limited edition of my body either), i’m Already thinking of doing a family 3d print in a larger scale when they go to Ally Pally next March.

The Kernow ScotRail 47, OO or N?

Everything I saw was OO (though admittedly I wasn’t looking for n) Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Spent the weekend there and had a great time. A good range of layouts. Spent far too much but pleased with what I managed to buy.

This year I highlighted the layouts on my copy of the plan and I wonder if this would be something the organisers could consider for future floor plans. It certainly helped me navigate and see all the layouts.

Well done to the organisers and exhibitors! It was a great exhibition.

• Like 1