Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Same Warley, same comments..................

A similar thought crossed my mind.

What is it about the Warley Show

that winds people up so much.

Ok, I have to confess I've never been,

it was on my bucket list, but if I go

by the feedback on this thread,

I don't think it will stay on said list,

The objections raised, bad behaviour etc,

can be found at any gathering of people,

the more people that gather, the more

you're likely to experience these problems.

But surely they need to be balanced against

thr advantages of a large exhibition,

more layouts - more inspiration,

more demos - more opportunity to learn,

more trade stands - more chance of

getting a bargain or finding that

elusive item you've been after for ages,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These days I prefer to attend likely popular shows on the Sunday as it's much quieter normally and easier to see layouts and demonstrations. The only downside is that there are more families and therefore a bit more noise from children.

• RMweb Gold

These days I prefer to attend likely popular shows on the Sunday as it's much quieter normally and easier to see layouts and demonstrations. The only downside is that there are more families and therefore a bit more noise from children.

If you are not after bargains can certainly recommend that tactic for our York Show (Sunday and Monday) and if driving to the show it also avoids the Saturday car boot traffic. Downside though is less public transport options. Busiest time definitely Saturday morning just after the doors open!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but why is that a downside?

Rob.

A similar thought crossed my mind.

What is it about the Warley Show

that winds people up so much.

Ok, I have to confess I've never been,

it was on my bucket list, but if I go

by the feedback on this thread,

I don't think it will stay on said list,

The objections raised, bad behaviour etc,

can be found at any gathering of people,

the more people that gather, the more

you're likely to experience these problems.

But surely they need to be balanced against

thr advantages of a large exhibition,

more layouts - more inspiration,

more demos - more opportunity to learn,

more trade stands - more chance of

getting a bargain or finding that

elusive item you've been after for ages,

If you go on the Sunday you will have a pleasant experience. Attendance is always lower on a Sunday so there is plenty of space to walk around and view everything. In my experience you will not encounter any of the issues with rucksacks etc on a Sunday. My suggestion is to get to the show at about 10:15 by which time on a Sunday there is just a gentle flow of visitors coming through the entrance.

Other tips:-

1. Buy your ticket in advance by sending a cheque and sae to Warley club. This saves you £1.50 per adult (albeit at a cost of two postage stamps) and also time when you arrive.

2. Order a show magazine with your tickets. This will be posted to you a few weeks before the show so you can plan your visit in advance.

3. If there are only one or two if you travelling by car then park at a local station such as Marston Green and catch the train to the NEC. Parking is free at many of the local stations and a return ticket is currently £2.20 from Marston Green on a Sunday. The journey takes three minutes which may well be quicker than the bus from the NEC car parks. The walk from Birmingham International station to Hall 5 is quite short and all of it is indoors.

Edited by Chris M

Sorry but why is that a downside?

Rob.

Well when I finish and exhibit my layout if I'm trying to chat to people about it at a show I wouldn't really like hysterical, screaming kids running up and down the aisle. The hobby needs a future if it is to continue, but one should still keep their children under control.

• RMweb Premium

My only visit to Warley was two years ago and yes, I was bumped into by a couple of rucksack muppets and I also went around one layout the long way due to one person with an aversion to soap being in the gangway.

I have had exactly the same thing happen at a number of shows where there are only 10 to 15 layouts so it is not a size of show thing.

The large crowd waiting to enter at the start of the show means that we all probably bump at least one other person however careful we are so if you do not like the crowd wait 30 minutes and then join the queue.

The food in the hall was better than I had been led to believe it would be but still rather pricey, something which is normal at any exhibition hall like the NEC. All you need to do is a little forward planning and take something with you.

The Bachmann returns stand was a scrum but even half an hour before closing when the staff outnumbered the customers I found something that interested me and I have been very pleased with.

Would I go again? Yes, I plan to go this year and was sorry I had to miss last year.

Have I stopped going to any exhibition because some of the visitors are smelly or rude? No, but if I see one I have met before I give them a wide berth so I am not bothered by them again. There is no way some muppet is going to stop me enjoying a show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Curiously despite attending lots of large shows(model rail Scotland) since 1974 I've never come across someone that was stinking to the extent I'd move away..............oh no,could it be me? I don't think so, I have a bath at least once a year.

I think all big shows are the same to be honest it's hard not to be jostled at some stage . Actually the thing that annoys me most is usually the group of guys all having a wee chat in a huddle not paying any attention to the layout but taking up frontage.

Never been to Warley but if I'm working in the Midlands the next day I might try it or even try FlyMayBe to see if they have any decent fares GLA-BHX for the Sunday.

Just wonder if dates clash with Falkirk .

Please guys let's now leave the comments about personal hygiene to one side and stick to the shows (positive or negative) aspects and to discuss responsibly.....as they say 'Beauty is always in the eye of the B-odour'......!

Have been attending Warley ever since they were in the Harry Mitchell, Smethwick as an 8 year old, now 57.....always found it a friendly, enlightening and enjoyable  show.....yes the NEC is akin to an aircraft hanger, the ensuing background noise is horrible but goes with the territory I am afraid.....have always purchase advance tickets and I get there early, not for any other reason than 'my stomach' for a breakfast before the queues build up (not the Bachmann stand rush, which is always amusing to watch), which once on I am on a full tummy can wander around at my own pace.....

Take care guys....

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

I find the random screams and high pitched crying less than comfortable to deal with.

Are we talking about the noise emanating from visitors or the exhibitors here?

I Jest here...

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

And that

Well when I finish and exhibit my layout if I'm trying to chat to people about it at a show I wouldn't really like hysterical, screaming kids running up and down the aisle. The hobby needs a future if it is to continue, but one should still keep their children under control.

that is exactly where the problem lies, parents who refuse to discipline/set boundaries for their kids rather than them being natural born screaming machines. I pride myself that my sons are well behaved and polite as i would be mortified if they played up the way i have seen others do.But I have also lost count Sadly of the number of layouts that I have stood before with my wife and two sons where the operator's have basically ignored us and had a chat amongst themselves because as a young family we can't be serious hobbyists or really interested. I have asked my boys aged 9 and 14 do they want to come with me to the show this year and they both said no because too often trains don't run when we are watching. Up until I started taking them to shows ( i stress its not just Warley where we have experienced this) and they got exposed to that they both loved my trains and spending time with me building our layout. It helped me immensely when coping with my depression as it gave me some validation as a half decent father. Some, not all of us are doing a very good job of killing off any appetite for the hobby amongst kids.

• RMweb Premium

And if previous years are anything to go by I won't be far away :good:

you never know but you two had better behave yourselves or you could end up in the naughty corner.... :jester:

And that

that is exactly where the problem lies, parents who refuse to discipline/set boundaries for their kids rather than them being natural born screaming machines. I pride myself that my sons are well behaved and polite as i would be mortified if they played up the way i have seen others do.But I have also lost count Sadly of the number of layouts that I have stood before with my wife and two sons where the operator's have basically ignored us and had a chat amongst themselves because as a young family we can't be serious hobbyists or really interested. I have asked my boys aged 9 and 14 do they want to come with me to the show this year and they both said no because too often trains don't run when we are watching. Up until I started taking them to shows ( i stress its not just Warley where we have experienced this) and they got exposed to that they both loved my trains and spending time with me building our layout. It helped me immensely when coping with my depression as it gave me some validation as a half decent father. Some, not all of us are doing a very good job of killing off any appetite for the hobby amongst kids.

The above is an important point for all exhibitors at all exhibitions. When I am exhibiting I try to interact with visitors, especially youngsters. At exhibitions that are not as busy as Warley I often invite youngsters to have a drive. I do of course keep a finger over the off switch but nearly all of them are very careful and behave very well.

If there are only two or three people or say one family watching my layout it is easy to interact. At larger exbitions such as Warley there is often a wall of people watching and interaction with individuals is more difficult.

I will be there with my rucksack on my back and my bags in my hand, here is hoping people manage to avoid walking into the rucksack this year, bearing in mind it is right in front of them, something they couldnt manage last year!

Sunday isnt an option because the first train wouldnt get me there for until 13:20.

Its a pity they cant install lockers so things could be stowed away, yes I realise the security risk prevents that.

Edited by royaloak

• Administrators

Its a pity they cant install lockers so things could be stowed away, yes I realise the security risk prevents that.

We are probably the ONLY show where there are significant numbers of rucksacks so any lockers would be down to the organisers to install for the event. Watch the moans as the ticket price goes up from the "I'm not putting my rucksack in a locker" crowd.

However, the NEC does provide facilities: http://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/facilities/

Leave it with us

When loading up on goodies at events, the last thing you need is excess baggage. So why not drop off your bags, coats and luggage at our cloakrooms, which can be found adjacent to our halls. Items are charged at £1 each. Please note, due to overwhelming demand we’re unable to offer cloakroom facilities in the Genting Arena. In the interests of safety and security overnight storage is also not possible. Sorry.

• RMweb Gold

I will be there with my rucksack on my back and my bags in my hand, here is hoping people manage to avoid walking into the rucksack this year, bearing in mind it is right in front of them, something they couldnt manage last year!

It sounds like they "should have gone to Specsavers" - which reminds me - I'm due for an eye test in the near future. (I'm also shortsighted - not that I'm unduly worried.)

Sunday isnt an option because the first train wouldnt get me there for until 13:20.

Unfortunately, this is a recurring theme with public transport - and the NEC is better served than a lot of places.

It's a pity they cant install lockers so things could be stowed away, yes I realise the security risk prevents that.

We are probably the ONLY show where there are significant numbers of rucksacks so any lockers would be down to the organisers to install for the event. Watch the moans as the ticket price goes up from the "I'm not putting my rucksack in a locker" crowd.

However, the NEC does provide facilities: http://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/facilities/

There are actually a number of cloakrooms in the NEC complex - much like there are at a number of other exhibition centres (Excel etc). Inevitably, they come at a cost - but this isn't the only reason I've never used them.

When I arrive at any show, I've already got my coat - my coach ticket - and some refreshments - inside my rucksack. During the course of the day, these refreshments get consumed - a process which one exhibitor at a tradeshow I recently attended aptly described as "eating space". Meanwhile, some of this newly freed space gets used for carrying newly acquired essential supplies for future projects ... .

Of course, some people might try to put a different spin on things - like my steel toecapped "size 9s" being the perfect "must have accessory", to go with my rucksack. The truth, of course, is rather different - but I'm still not putting my rucksack in a locker.

Huw.

In light of the Manchester bombing are there going to be any restrictions on the size of ruck sacks/bags?  It would not surprise me if there were.  May I suggest that if so, the organisers make sure it is clearly stated on the normal advertising posters, tickets, magazines, etc..  Some visitors have ruck sacks which look like they are on an expedition to climb Everest!

Peter

In light of the Manchester bombing are there going to be any restrictions on the size of ruck sacks/bags?  It would not surprise me if there were.  May I suggest that if so, the organisers make sure it is clearly stated on the normal advertising posters, tickets, magazines, etc..  Some visitors have ruck sacks which look like they are on an expedition to climb Everest!

Peter

I normally arrive with a small rucksack inside my big rucksack, I generally buy food and drink at the shows, its all a part of the experience, although a couple of litres of fluid might be taken this year, it was a tad warm and stuffy in there last year.

The left luggage might be a good idea as long as the rucksack is classed as one item and the dont count every individual item inside it!

• RMweb Gold

It sounds like they "should have gone to Specsavers" - which reminds me - I'm due for an eye test in the near future. (I'm also shortsighted - not that I'm unduly worried.)

Unfortunately, this is a recurring theme with public transport - and the NEC is better served than a lot of places.

There are actually a number of cloakrooms in the NEC complex - much like there are at a number of other exhibition centres (Excel etc). Inevitably, they come at a cost - but this isn't the only reason I've never used them.

Huw.

The cloakroom facility is there basically to allow you to store your coat and maybe a bag or 2, until required @ £1 an item.

Although I`ve never personally used it, I assume that if you go and retrieve your bag, to either place into it your purchase items or remove say your lunch and then return said bag to the cloakroom, would the Cloakroom Staff be requesting another £1 storage fee for each time this occurs as they would consider it’s a new transaction, even if your bag remains on the counter.