Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

We are there again this year (SLS).  Stand D44. Recruitment details and a selection of back Journals etc., to take away free as taster copies of what we do. 

On the sales side we will have approximately 4000 post-card prints from our range available (Approx 10% of the total range). Also should be two (ideally 3) new books on sale. Just starting the final editing of the first two ready for the printers. Buy a membership as a Christmas present - details of the card scheme will be there with sample cards.

Edited by john new

Looking forward to being able to visit the show on the Saturday, booked tickets this evening......tiring day for sure but always good to go....been attending since it first open all those years ago in Warley itself....blimey I feel old!

:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Bob

Not long ago found out work was closed that weekend :no: 

Ticket booked, just train tickets now. Better start saving...

One exhibition I won't be attending. NEC NO WAY !

Fine, just as long as you haven't made that decision based on previous comments in this thread, which I don't think represent Warley at all. 

One exhibition I won't be attending. NEC NO WAY !

Being situated quite close to it I believe the NEC is a great venue, and public transport links couldn't be easier what with trains, planes and buses however last year I noticed in hall 5 the various cafes and food outlets were quite expensive (e.g pulled pork baps at £6.00 or something like that).

Right annoying that I'm away for the weekend of their 50th show! Oh well, at least I can definitely go next year. :)

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a look at the layout list. Why is there still a need to label layouts that are populated by diesel and electric traction "Modern Image"? Is about time that all layouts are just layouts. Any excuse about listing those which "steam age" modellers wish to avoid or the opposite which layouts "modern image " modellers need to home in on is rubbish. It about time we all grew up and respected each other as railway modellers.

I have just had a look at the layout list. Why is there still a need to label layouts that are populated by diesel and electric traction "Modern Image"? Is about time that all layouts are just layouts. Any excuse about listing those which "steam age" modellers wish to avoid or the opposite which layouts "modern image " modellers need to home in on is rubbish. It about time we all grew up and respected each other as railway modellers.

you want to try modelling American railroads, it can be a lonely place sometimes at an exhibition!!!!!!!!! :stinker:

Ray

• RMweb Premium

I always try to give every layout, regardless of era or geography, a chance. In doing so, I find that some of the non-U.K. layouts are actually better experiences because they actually have something running! IMHO, static displays that are engrossing in themselves are surprisingly hard to find.

I'm tempted to give this a 'winky' ;) but I'm only half kidding :(

Judging how long ago the term was coined and how outdated the concept is now it has been consigned to a historical era, it must be done to differentiate the modernised steam area layouts (with multiple aspect signalling and sometimes electrification) from everything else with diesels on that some punters wouldn't normally bother looking at...

• RMweb Premium

you want to try modelling American railroads, it can be a lonely place sometimes at an exhibition!!!!!!!!! :stinker:

Ray

Hi Ray

It would be a lot better if the layouts were listed in alphabetical or by stand number with a very brief description.

Red Garden Park,  7mm narrow narrow gauge Soviet Young Pioneers Railway, pre fall of the USSR.

Kings Cross, N gauge late 1960s with the last locomotive hauled suburban trains.

Ashburton, P4 gauge, 1/76th scale, Great Western Railway, set in the days when the world was wonderful.

Modern Image to me means Class 56, 87 and HSTs, so the term is still valid ! I attended Warley for the first time last year and despite the odd negative, mainly beyond the organiser's control (eg cancelled/crowded trains, catering) I will definitely be there again this year; The size of the show means that there must be something for everyone, no matter what their interest. 

• RMweb Premium

I will be there on the Saturday complete with my rucksack and foldaway bag.

Just make sure you don't wash/shower/bathe for 3 weeks before and all will be well........................

:stinker:  

Cheers,

Mick

Just make sure you don't wash/shower/bathe for 3 weeks before and all will be well........................

:stinker:  

Cheers,

Mick

I am not due a bath until December so I will be fine in that department!  :stink:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Judging how long ago the term was coined and how outdated the concept is now it has been consigned to a historical era, it must be done to differentiate the modernised steam area layouts (with multiple aspect signalling and sometimes electrification) from everything else with diesels on that some punters wouldn't normally bother looking at...

Why not just put the era, epoch or decade ?

I have issue that modern image covers a period of 50 years between 1968-2017... and quite a lot happened in that time, where as Steam covers pretty much 3 periods of approx 10 year lumps between 1930 and 1968... less than 40 years, with most layouts either covering only two periods... 1930’s or 1955-65.

Modern image tends to be :

62-72 - Green/blue and steam transition,

74-82 (TOPS blue era, lots of older diesels):

85-95 lots of colourful liveries,

95-2005 Ex BR stock in the privatisation era,

and post 2005..lots of new stuff.

Modern carries a lot of variation, much more than steam, and we are in a period now where not just 1st gen modern traction is history, but much 2nd generation too is away for scrap (56’s, 58’s, 87’s, 141’s, soon to be HST’s, Pacers ) and we’re approaching mass recycling for the 3rd generation (60’s, 373 Eurostar’s etc).

I did see a layout once, that ran to its timetable, unfortunately for me, next train wasn’t due for 20 minutes so I wandered off, only to return and found i’d Missed it by a minute.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium