Shez's workbench

Shez

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you posting Mark.  It's blowing a hoolie here and family duties have also kept me away from the shed and modelling.  I was hoping to have some pictures of a finished 2F by now but it's nearly done. It's painted and awaits some final transfers and such things as crew before re-assembly and testing.   Your locos are looking as nice as ever.

Jamie

A couple of questions for NER /LNER experts out there.

Firstly, As when I built the Pickersgill, I cant find any reference in the kit to a fall plate between the tender and the loco. The absence of these get to me as much as the absence of crews in moving locos. (is that the explanation - the crew have fallen through the gap.)  Both the Isinglass  drawing I have, and photos in the Yeadon  books seem to show one but I cant work out if its attached to the loco or tender. Any ideas out there?

Secondly, I will finish this loco in the early LNER black, lined red livery. As I will be preparing the wheels soon, can anyone tell me if they were plain black or did they have red lining around the edges?

• 4 weeks later...

I have made quite a bit more progress but have had problems downloading images from my camera. With a little help from my son I have managed to recover some.

Firstly I turned my attention to completing the tender.  I said that the NE tenders were nice and straightforward so far, but things did get a bit more tricky from this point. First the tender flares. Theses were half etched and needed to be bent over to form the curve. Problem is there isn't much to get hold of. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I decided to gently anneal the metal to give it some help and managed to role the flares over a bar held between finger and thumb.  They then attached to the tender surprisingly easily as there is a little grove to position them. Another example of the well thought out design of the etches. I then added the side coal rails, which again was surprisingly easy, as once more there was a small half etch along the bottom to allow then to fit. The end coal rail was however a little too narrow , so here I had to add some little wire strengtheners at the corner and add do a little careful filing. I think it will be OK once its painted. 

IMG_20200116_081636.jpg.eea897764c19e8f113c95ad2758a29bb.jpg

There is then a confession in the instructions that two pieces are missing. The sloping back plate in the tender and the coal board support.  However it was simple to make both parts from a piece of scrap etch. Once again I referred to the Isinglass drawing which I have found invaluable. I ill get one when making any LNER loco in future. Both were cut a little over size with the jewelers saw and than filed to fit. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to retrieve the photo that shows this. 

The photo of the rear of the tender shows the lovely brass buffers provided. Many of the castings supplied with the kit are excellent.  Unfortunately this does not extend to the white-metal  tender axle boxes and springs some of which were broken. I am thinking of replacing these with a set from Laurie Griffen.  I then followed the instruction sequence and added the plates on the tender top. Here a little filling with solder and filing was required to get a good fit.I made a drawbar and completed details such as handrails and lamp irons .  I then put the tender to one side for the moment and returned to the loco.  It makes a very nice model.

• Like 4

The design of the chassis made it difficult to use the springing method I have used on my recent builds. I therefore decided to give Slaters hornguides  a try. The front two axles are sprung with the driving from the fixed rear axle.  I am very pleased with the result as the chassis runs freely.  I think this is probably down to the use of the master chassis to help position them. I don't think I would have got the same results without the help of this excellent piece of kit.  I would certainly be happy to use them again.

I was a little concerned that the two spacers provided would not be rigid enough so I used some of the spare ones provided on the etch. However, take care these are slightly wider and had to be filed down to fit. I don't know why this should be - I don't think there is any indication that they are scale seven spaces or anything like that. The London Road Models stamp on the chassis etch suggests it has been blown up from 4mm.  To make fitting the horn guides easier I cut off the springs with the jewelers saw and then soldered them on again once I was happy everything worked. Once again I used little bits of scrap etch as strengtheners. 

IMG_20200116_081831.jpg.67444a0bcb978aab718a4881edc0038d.jpgIMG_20200116_082657.jpg.6fcea659dd2aa4b179228e69f7b943a3.jpg

• Like 3

With a basic chassis completed I decided to get the running plate constructed. As I have said before this is supplied as for a J25 and has to be adapted to suit the larger wheels of the J21. A diagram is provided in the instructions suggesting how to do this. It suggests extending the gaps for the wheels by 3.5 to 4mm at each end. I decided to cut 3.5 and then file.  I marked out using a scriber and once again the trusty  jewellers saw was pressed into action. One quirk of this kit is that some of the body parts are etched in nickle silver rather then brass, and the extra thickness was a real help here meaning fears of bending the footplate were unfounded. I don't know if this is general with this kit or just the one I have got.

I then added the draw bar the front buffer beam and the valances. In each case I did a series of tacks first before running the seam to make sure nothing was pulled out of line. It makes for a strong structure.

The photograph shows the fixing nut at the cab end. Once again the hole was far too big for the 6BA nut provided. I therefore soldered a washer to the underside of the footplate and then filed it flat to create a smaller hole. This seems to have worked fine. Constructing the footplate enables me to check those all important clearances of the footplate holes before returning to  the chassis to add the bake gear and other details.  Initail tests suggest a little more filing will be required. So concludes this rather random series of posts!

IMG_20200116_081505.jpg.1b8fcd87b492bc3b3c266fac49a8f6b7.jpg 

Edited by Shez
spelling mistakes - missed content
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

This week presented the opportunity to crack on with the J21 and with a rolling chassis completed it was on with the brake gear. I do find it helps to make the brake gear removable , and so went for my usual approach which involves substituting the wire for a 14BA nut and bolt, with a piece of brass tube cut to act as a spacer.  Straightforward, well it should be, but as I had not done an NER loco before I hadn't taken into account the brake hangers. This involved a bit of adaptation. In the end the hangers were soldered on but with the brakes captive inside but able to swing back and forth to enable easy removal of the wheels.  They will then be spaced correctly be making the pull rods removable, with the spacers being made of brass tube with bolts soldered inside, having cut of the end. I have not fixed these in place yet as the chassis is going to be set up and dismantled  a number of times and there is further detail to add. On the Pickersgill I made use of Slaters plastic brake blocks, and having some left and decided to do so again. I filed them down to look a bit more NER. Its a lot of faffing about, but I find it makes painting, fitting pickups testing and maintenance so much easier if you can get the brake gear off safely. I have also added some further spacers to strengthen the chassis. 

Still to decide on current collection. Was looking at the plungers on loco wipers on tender option, but the chassis is really quite narrow and though I drilled holes for plungers I am not sure if there will be room. 

1925465662_CopyofIMG_20200206_164815.jpg.fbfa382c69ee84a106047c4cf4fc6168.jpg

In the meantime I decided to get on with the basic superstructure of the loco, so I can check what will be some very tight clearances on the footplate. I bgean with the cab sides which are on the extra etch which converts what is essentially a J25 etch to a J21.  Before fitting I decided to add the detail, window frames, handrails, beading and the internal window runners.  These are very nice crisp etchings, though the very thin window frames took some careful soldering.  Again its the usual strange mix of brass and nickel silver in the kit.  This took me a bit longer than expected so fitting these to the footplate will have to wait until next session.

IMG_20200206_164922.jpg.1f445977e86e1a34eedaec7e58d79e52.jpg

As we are now away for a week I thought I would finish with a photograph that documents progress so far. 

IMG_20200206_165226.jpg.fb24520aaae9710ccff641b22f10c41a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks for that kind comment Jazz. I wonder if its more to do with cleaning up as I go rather than prowess with the iron. I do find that the temp controlled iron I now have makes the job a lot easier compared with my earlier efforts.  Back now from a trip to North Norfolk, a wonderful place I had not visited previously.  Great coastal walks and birdwatching. It could almost get me thinking about little blue engines and teak carriages!

• Like 3

The next phase of building has been to get the basic superstructure completed so we can check clearances. I first soldered the cabs sides and front in place. This took longer then I expected. I usually like to begin with the cab front and then position the sides. However because of the open front it meant the sides had to be done first. There were no tabs or slots so I used the drawing as a guide. The tops of the small splashers at the front of the cab had to be curved, and I found that it was necessary to heat the two protruding tops to get the rather sharp bend into them. Some rather bad language later I get the cab together and checked all was square. 

IMG_20200220_154658.jpg.17836a4e21f2daa9096149ccc41d332c.jpg

I then moved onto the splashers inside the cab. The instructions suggested quite a bit of fettling would be needed here, and its true that they had to be filed back, but generally they went together easier than expected. Contrary to the instructions I found that it was easier to put the sides in first and the ends last as slots and tabs facilitated this.  I have followed the instructions with the middle and front splashers. Usually I make up an entire splasher first, but as again there is provision for slots and half etches I put the sides on first. Once again forming and locating these was easy and is another example of really good design. The more I progress with this kit I think that with a bit of upgrading it could really be an excellent kit. I have got a few locos behind me now and tend to find my way round problems - but earlier on it could have put me off.

IMG_20200220_154803.jpg.8e53d19f221dd6cbb5198237dc2e022f.jpg

This was again true on the next phase. I decided to get the boiler sorted next. I soldered it with my usual 188 solder for this job with it clamped in place with soft florists wire. I then folded the front support bent the fire box to shape and tried it on the superstructure. As you can see on the photo it is about 1.5 mill too long. Had I messed up? Looking into the boiler I noticed there are two different markers for drilling holes for the dome and the safety valves. I consulted my Isinglass drawing. The boiler is correct length or the diagram 67A boiler fitted to superheated locos. If like my loco your model has a diagram 67 boiler then it therefore needs to be filed back to the correct length. Looking at the position of dome and safety valve this needs to be done at the fire box end. Nowhere in the instructions is this mentioned. If I had not had the drawing I would have been assuming I had messed up. The kit therefore provides for the different variants but does not make this clear.  Apologies to Mr and Mrs Gladiator if they have already rectified this - as I have said, this kit was from an old batch.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

There gets to point in any build where you think "thank goodness, its going to work" . So all that time cash and bad language has not been wasted. I got the chassis up on the rolling road, and put some power directly through the motor. All ran nice and smoothly with no binding.

IMG_20200229_104955.jpg.1272500afea2a8a308b19af68b19dd3e.jpg

There has also been further work on the boiler, with the smokebox being completed. Again I found that that the ready rolled innner and outer wrapper did not conform to the drawing for the type of boiler I wanted. In the end I made it up anyway and just filed it back to the correct dimensions. I also added the splasher tops. With both these and the wrapper some annealing was required to get the curves right. Good job we have a gas cooker!  Having got to this stage I attached the chassis and pushed it through the test track curves to check clearances. All OK it seems. I also found out I am going to have to remove the drive shaft from the abc mini gearbox.

IMG_20200229_110315.jpg.a92b92b7d188cf19651e7ad5f7537589.jpg

I have now got to the point I like to get at with the model where I have enough to be pretty sure its going to run.  The chassis has been dismantled and the boiler and footplate separated so the rest of the build can progress. Mostly detailing now. 

Edited by Shez
spelling
  • Like 9

I am making a rare visit to Kettering this Saturday, as I won't be able to make it to the Doncaster show this time as we will be away. Any of you lot around to say hello?

Good day at Kettering yesterday. Really enjoyed meeting Adrian and O Guage Phil.  A future project with a Gladiator GCR 2 8 0, and was also pleased to find D and S kits still available. A pair of lovely NER clerestory coaches to add to the pile. 

• Like 3

Nice to spend a bit of time with like minded souls.

85BF4E84-11F4-482B-8A51-7E3B8186DE69.jpeg.b4cbdce1b4bb8a1eb272ae7ee28c9a12.jpeg

Me Shez and Ade, (sounds like those singers Chas and Dave!)

I wasn’t sure if it was worthwhile making the journey as I didn’t really want anything other than some magnetic couplings for some gangway coaches.  Just the job to save all that flapping around trying to couple/uncouple under the gangways.  In the end I forgot all about them but I didn’t come home empty handed..

image.jpg.c8611528c06d68198e088905b90937ad.jpg

image.jpg.369a07cf93c46f521e428d67f272db96.jpg

Just a little enlightenment for the wallet,  only wanted some couplings.  Sure not alone with that one.  Anyway was really nice to meet you.

When will you start on your purchases, do they go to the back of a long list or a very long list.  Still some nice builds and hope you had a good journey home, hope to meet up again sometime.

Phil

Edited by O-Gauge-Phil
  • Like 2

So own up then. Whats in the Finney 7 bag?

As for the ones I got' the GCR 2 8 0 will probably be a bit down the list. Not sure whats up loco wise after the J21 is finished.  Have now enough NBR stock to get a small layout going. In the longer run I had always dismissed the GCR in my own native South Yorkshire as too big for O Guage in the space I have. However some recent articles in Railway Modeller by Alan Whitehouse on the Railways around Barnsley have really got me thinking.  The article on Summer Lane station and the coop coal yard was particularly interesting and the loco shed at Barnsley Exchange is also an intriguing possibility. There were some very cramped facilities in both cases and I can think of others. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been sporadic. Only a month after enjoying a great 100th birthday party my mother has been hospitalized twice in quick succession. Very worrying in the current climate and we have now decided we need to live with her on a rota basis over the upcoming infection period. However I have made some progress on a number of sub assemblies - nothing permanently fixed yet. A few issues that anyone building the kit may like to note.

As no boiler bands were supplied I used some thin phosphor bronze strip. This was very easy to solder and looks good. I may use it again. Then came the handrails. In the instructions and the kit it says to use long ones on the boiler and short on the smokebox. Once I put these on it was clear something was wrong. The rails turned in at the front. All were removed with much muttering. I had some medium handrail knobs which I had bought for one of my NBR projects and these fitted perfectly. It may be down to my modifications to the boiler. Another problem revealed its self when I checked against the drawing the position of the safety valve cover. It was too far forward.  Neither of the two marked holes on the underside of the boiler seemed to be correct. Filing back the hole has enabled me to move it to the correct position.

IMG_20200321_173405.jpg.c4f5511ce004125343de029d392ab772.jpg

IMG_20200321_173002.jpg

• Like 10

Referring back to the second picture (which I accidentally uploaded!)   Can anyone tell me why the cab floor has a hole in it? There is no mention of this in the instructions - though they did refer to missing pieces on the tender!  Has anyone got a photo of a cab interior showing the floor?
Next up was the cab roof which Is in two parts that are curved to shape and then laminated together. I used my small rolling bars for the curve though a mouse mat and a piece of rod would have done the trick. Warning to anyone building the kit. It would be easy to throw away the cab inner as a piece of scrap etch left over when other parts are cut - make a note and keep it safe. I have not decided yet whether to fix the roof on or to try and make it removable. 

The final sub assemblies were the steps - I did these with 188 for extra strength.

Question for NER experts. Many of the photos show something immediately in front of the smokebox handrail knob on the left hand side looking from the cab.  What is it? - seems to be on other NER locos too but no mention in kit or explanation on drawings or in the "green book" On all locos however braked and whether simple or superheated. 

So with moving to my mothers its going to be at least a week before I can move on. Stay safe everyone. 

looking at colour photos of the preserved one, the thing is brass so i was guessing a cylinder lubricator pot but then its connected to the hand rail, ive noticed before that some locos have a pipe running from the cab to the smokebox which also acts as a hand rail. the smokebox handrail stops in a knob just in front of the brass thing.

this photo als has a valve just below that

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/Thomas-W-Worsdell/TWWorsdell-Tender-Locomotives/Worsdell-J21-BR-Service/i-HCjpg6z/A

about the backhead, i have no idea how acurate this 3d modelling is

http://victoryworksts.blogspot.com/2019/03/lner-j21-ner-class-c-cab-wip.html

• Thanks 1

I can always rely on Sam!  Good work.

The photo shows it clearly. Can anyone enlighten us what it is?  Don't think Laurie Griffin will have "NER Brass Thing" in the catalogue!

The valve below is a lubricator - similar to the NBR pattern I have some of those. There is a preserved example to base it on.

The 3D is really useful. Seems really well researched. Shows a flat floor to the backhead - also useful in that it shows the fallplate - something else not mentioned in the kit.

Thank you very much Norman. Its usually mounted above the handrail on NB locos I think.  I never thought of the handrail being a tube. Very elegant arrangement. Clever chap that Mr Worsdell.