Shez's workbench

Shez

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Shez said:

At least I won't need a lorry bound for Portugal to move stuff!  Its just Mew Mill rather than "Moulin Nouveau".

Really enjoyed the talk last night by the way - memories of that great weekend at  Lancaster - and just how difficult it is to put plastic wrapping on pallets. 

Thanks for that, and for being my support when I got back to Leeds from Warley, after the food poisoning I wasn't really in a fit state and really appreciated your help.

Jamie

• 2 months later...

An unscheduled update!  Maybe if I was moving to mainland Europe as Jamie did it would be quicker than our two miles down the road. I had initially hoped we would be on the way by now but the current state of the chain means we may well be looking at September.  

Given that, I decided that for my own sanity I needed to get on with something in the meantime, so there has been a limited unpacking of a few basics, and the current hot weather meant a chance to do bit of painting.

IMG_20210720_153624.jpg.81f3759542400eb29bf75d1f9f5ad7c8.jpg

The two NBR coaches have got their base coat. I have used a crimson from Auto Paints of Huddersfield and very good quality it seems too.  A nice shiny smooth cover which should be a good base for the lining. 

I have also done the chassis for the GCR Director. 

So the "shed of dreams"  still remains just over the horizon at the moment....

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

The house move continues to be stalled and the workbench remains in storage - frustration reigns!

However there has been one interesting development. My North British D class tank loco no 828, has been wired up for DCC control with sound by one of our Wakefield Club members, Colm, (posts under 25A on here)  and we have been running it on the Eyemouth layout the club is building led by Sir Douglas of this parish. Colm has posted a video of her pulling some of my NBR coaches and stock on a test train on Eyemouth. You can check it out on the thread. "Eyemouth O gauge" on the RM web layouts  forum.

From my previous posts you will know that I have been somewhat sceptical about the advantages of DCC, but recent experiences have converted me! The sound is good, but it was the controllable slow running, braking and acceleration  that has really impressed. I think I may be looking at incorporating it into my future builds.  I also know I go on about locos without crews - before someone pulls me up about that on the video lets say it is a test run and the crew are awaiting painting like so much else!

Hopefully the workbench will return soon.  Its either that or my sanity - living out of boxes since July!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally, finally at long last the Fulstone Hall Lane Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Works is ready!  Heater and extractor fan were the last bit of the jigsaw, so I can hopefully make a start on modelling again. (Heavy snow kept me well and truly indoors for the last few days) Its been a long wait, but its so much better, and also safer  than the cramped corner of a bedroom I had previously. Just got to decide now which of the various unfinished projects that have been boxed up since spring to tackle first. It will be a gradual return as there is still a lot to do on the house, but I am so much looking forward to getting going again.

IMG_20211126_144459.jpg.38375a6affa2602581a65a5179ab8a20.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

Not quite as neat as before as had my first session this afternoon as I tried to remember which way round to hold the soldering iron.

First project is to crack on with the water tank for the Eyemouth layout which I am making from scrap etch left over from loco and coach kits. Then probably the underframe for the Reid coaches. 

Jamie, when it comes to sheds I know I can never compete! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a couple of decent sessions in the workshop after Christmas festivities and have completed the underframe for the all third. A number of issues arose during the building and I am graceful to a poster on the GOG forum who is building a rake of these coaches for some guidance. The first job was to attach the step supports. These are good strong lost wax castings and provide a firm base. However when it then came to attaching the long footboards I noticed that the slots in them did not match up with the position of the supports and some careful filing of these long thin pieces was needed. ( the other poster did not encounter this problem so chances are its been rectified.

What he did point out to me was the omission of the queenposts and turnbuckles from the written instructions, though they are shown in a photograph. Its important to get these in first before you tackle the gas cylinders as you wont have access to them otherwise. The locating recesses also seem to be at right angles to where they should be.

Then the gas tanks. These are heavy whitemetal castings and gave me some trouble with the 4 wheel coach. I first folded up the brass support and tinned the whole thing with 145. I then used low melt solder to attach the tanks. Then I flooded the recess with flux and secured the support again using 145.  The other builder decided to replace the whitemetal castings with his own version made from brass tube. A technique I used on the 6 wheelers built from Jamie Guest's original etches.

The remaining westinghouse gear and lower footboards were then attached

IMG_20211228_194528.jpg.1c39412c9e08f79cb9cbdbea4306b157.jpg

It was on re reading the instructions that I noticed I had missed the advice to construct the underframe with it bolted to the body to lessen any chance of distortion. It was therefore with some trepidation that I bolted the floor to the body. Fortunately everything appeared to have remained square.

IMG_20211228_194455.jpg.8939ad0dae1bb9fecf900e7422de8c08.jpg

So its repeat the whole process for the composite next. Good to be finally back at the workbench and actually making something!

• Like 5

The compsosite underframes is completed and I made a start on the bogies. However a nasty cold has kept me out of the shed for the last few days so its been a case of getting on with stuff that can be done inside.  I cut the roofs to size and drilled the holes for the gas lamps. I then decided to take advantage of the nice bright morning light to do some lining on the all third and so got one side completed. Used humbrol light buff number 7 in my bow pen. Always thinks that the NBR livery looks a bit garish at first so it will need to be toned down eventually with a matt varnish and some weathering powders as I have done on the six and four wheelers.  Feel they are starting to come together now.  Can I take this opportunity to wish all RM webbers  especially the kit and scratchbuilders  a Happy New Year. Here's hoping we have some events to meet up at.

IMG_20220104_143750.jpg.b4c8ecc12a0657b53450d01ce68ca52d.jpgIMG_20220104_143841.jpg.d28f492c41f8870df4e488ccb69a3d20.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling better, and some decent weather so have been able to get back in the shed and complete the bogies. The bogie comes in two parts which are then folded into an L shape. A two part spacer to make the bolster is attached on one side and then using slots and tabs you add the other. Sounds straightforward enough, but the the brass bogie size and end are really flimsy. Just cutting it out and cleaning it up are enough to pull it out of shape, so take lots of care with both operations. Peters instructions suggest adding the cast bogie side before you put them together to increase strength. Here was a case where I was rally glad of my temp controlled iron. I tinned the brass bogie side with 145 before I cut it out to prevent distortion. I then added the side with low melt. I was very relieved when the whole thing went together and ran smoothly. Repeat 3 times!

IMG_20220110_121500.jpg.6b16bdb6073f3c0e3587d28cea390063.jpg

The details were then added to the bogies. The brake gear, springs, footboards (which I fixed on with superglue on Peters suggestion) and axle box covers. 

IMG_20220118_155800.jpg.15551eac11bc4ed4be022d5ccb409800.jpg

With the bogies completed I attached to to the underframe of the all third and then added the body. I gave it a quick run through some reverse curves to make sure nothing was catching. I will do the same with the composite tomorrow.

IMG_20220118_155905.jpg.a172b676b34c80cac5c04d63fb2aa6fe.jpg

So a build that has been somewhat erratic due to the house move is approaching its final phase. I now need to spray the underframe and roof, but that needs to wait for better weather so the two coaches will go back in their boxes to wait for warm weather. Its then glazing, roof fittings, eats door handles buffers and lettering to finish off.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Folks. Its been a while since I was on. Work on the new house and grandparent duties pretty much taking up all my time so the new workshop has had very little use in the last few months. I even skipped Guildex as I decided I have plenty to get on with for the moment. Any work I have got done relates to painting all the models I made in lockdown.  I have not posted any pictures as I became quite disillusioned after all the pictures disappeared from this thread.  (the NBR bogie coaches just need seats and glazing now. The J35 is being painted and lined, the Director is in primer.)

I think that this particular thread may have run its course and therefore will sign it off by thanking everyone who has read it, and everyone who has given me so much help in completing my models.  I hope that its initial intention of showing that you didn't need to be an expert to have a go at building kits has provided a bit of inspiration. 

I hope to get back to modelling regularly in October  (once grandchild no 2 is safely here and the weather makes outside jobs difficult)   I will post progress on the GOG website, so if you are on their you should be able to catch up on what I am up to. Any further posts on here will probably relate to threads on individual projects.

Thanks form Shez,  (or Mark if thats what you know me as !)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2