Farish announce C Class, all new 8F, refurb Class 31, Thompson coaches and TEA

Andy Y

Just as I was about to start work detailing and repainting a BachFar class 31 into original Railfreight!

Loads of the reliveries also appeal to me, primarily the 37s and 47s. It seems kind of notable that so many of the re-liveries are modern (and locos). Very few steam, or transition era diesel new issues in comparison.

The SECR C class doesn't fit any of my layout plans, but I'll undoubtedly buy one! I suspect the N class in SECR WW1 era grey didn't sell well because it is so boring a livery, but just look at how many times the Dapol terrier has been re-released in Stroudley engine green with different names. I think the CR livery Fairburn from the collectors club sold pretty well too? Surely shows there is a good collectors/"I like that" market for "pretty" pre-grouping stock :)

Hallo,

now that the website has been updated, does anyone know what happened to the MK1 Pullmans with a grey roof? They were in their "due within 60days" list then disappeared and have been displayed as sold out since October 2016. I never saw them in any shop website other than as "forthcoming release" (and still do).

I wrote to BachFar and of course received no reply

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Gold

Better than I was expecting. Both the 8F with sound and the 'C' class are interesting—although I too would have liked the 2EPB (and, for that matter, the "Thumper"; I think we can safely say that Dapol no longer intend to produce it).

Also the Thompson coaches are welcome too.

Since I was expecting only one new item of motive power I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I attended the press day earlier on hosted by Bachmann. They are very pleased with the performance of the Farish range and, while sales are not surprisingly lower overall than for models in 00, N scale continues to justify its place in their range, and ongoing investment.

I was delighted that the Vulcan pack (an imaginative combination of the model railway and aero-model assets) is being offered in both the 00 and N ranges; indeed the point was made that with the aircraft at 1:144 scale the 37 in N represents a far more unified product!

The SECR C class is an interesting selection and Bachmann acknowledged that the pre-grouping era has been largely ignored until now but they are looking to develop this market.

The last thing to note is that the forthcoming North Eastern freight set marks something of a departure as it is, as far as Bachmann are aware, the first ever British trainset to feature all items in weathered condition.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Invisible text again, green and maroon are prototypical but only if you model post BR

No - not invisible, just sort of glazed over TBH (sorry to be rude). Previously Bachmann have stated if a model is mean't to represent a preserved example. So far they have not done so with these 2 proposed releases.

Edit:Just rechecked the Farish website and the image shown there is a Mk2z not a Mk2a.

2nd edit:Sorry, missed the charter part.

Edited by steve1023

I was expecting Farish Mk2's in reggie rail to go with the 37/4 and I'm surprised that the 47 hasn't been released in RES/ Swallow as seen in the larger size the other year yet.  

My personal hope was for seacow ballast wagons to be re-released and the timber wagons to be downsized but neither was to be.

The Bachmann website has now been updated to show images and some of them looks very nice indeed however the intermodal twinset with a price of 75 quid took me a bit by surprise.

Overall this appears to be a decent and varied set of new releases for the coming year(s) developments and I can see things added to my own personal wishlist. Others will feel deflated but not all can be pleased at all times.

Mark

No - not invisible, just sort of glazed over TBH (sorry to be rude). Previously Bachmann have stated if a model is mean't to represent a preserved example. So far they have not done so with these 2 proposed releases.

Edit:Just rechecked the Farish website and the image shown there is a Mk2z not a Mk2a.

2nd edit:Sorry, missed the charter part.

The image is of the OO model,  and is a Mk2 (no suffix) - they were reclassed as Mk2z when TOPS came in. Just as I've got my 2 old Mk 2 coaches with Electra vinyl sides in production...

Edited by talisman56

Happy that the C class is being shrunk down after the success of the larger version, but disappointed, although not particularly surprised, that none of their OO 3rd rail emus have made the cut again, especially with a newly announced 4BEP to go with last year’s 2HAP and a 2 or 4EPB seeming (to me at any rate) such an obvious choice.  I’m sure the 8F will sell by the bucket-load, although it’s not for me.

The slow progress of some previously announced models is notable as others have pointed out.  It does suggest some ongoing challenges that haven’t been fully met, nonetheless, after a few relatively sparse years, it is good to see a number of new toolings and does demonstrate Bachmann’s / Farish’s commitment to the gauge.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Delighted to see the 8F to be produced to 21st century standards, similarly, the Thompsons made available in the smaller scale.

The refurbished 31s will expand the range of liveries available - surprised they haven't done a "skinhead" version to date yet.

I'm speculating Farish announced newly-tooled TEAs because they look very dated against Revolution Trains' similar bogie tankers.

The SECR C was a surprise to me, but they've already produced the N 2-6-0, and Birdcage carriages will follow suit in due course.

Interestingly, no new re-liveried DMUs or EMUs have been announced today.

• RMweb Premium

interesting spot.......Mk1 BSK and SK in Sealink livery.  Nice one.  

Don't remind me!!  Just finished painting four of them!!!

Ah well, the Highlander set has now been pre-ordered mainly for the loco.  Not sure what to do with the coaches though as two is a tad short and no others in the same colours are available to extend the rake, unless I buy two sets and rename/renumber of course.

Looks like there will be a few items I might buy (all being well).

None of the train sets or train packs for this year interest me.

Not many steamers this year, but, maybe I might like a C.  I will wait and see how dear they are when they come out (prices will only go up, but instead of complaining, I will just think more about what I really want before buying), and if they are not too bad, I might get one.  As far as I know, they never ran in the South West, but they are Southern Region, so I could always pretend that some Cs were reallocated.

No diesels or units this year.

No wagons either, but I already have plenty, so I am not complaining.

Coaches, mixed feelings.  The green Bulleids and maroon Stanier BG might be nice.  Those Sealink MK1s are tempting, but, trying to justify some of them will be hard!  Sadly no chocolate & cream MK1s (trying to find a second SK has been fruitless, but one will turn up somewhere).

Happy to see the 8F, which was really a no-brainer as far as models requiring re-tooling. Not interested in the C class or 31 but happy for those who are.

The glaringly obvious omission for me is that there is not a single DMU. Many were crying out for a 116/117 or 105. I would have been delighted to see the 101 re-released in a 3 car green speed-whiskered version as they are extremely difficult to get and command such high resale prices. Odd that Bachmann haven't spotted that.

R E

• RMweb Gold

One to note is the LMS BG has made it into blue - would go nicely with my two repainted ones ! 

good to see the Revolution effect that TEAs have been dragged up a generation !  Hopefully the 158/170 and GWR railcar will get a  new generation makeover over a relivery exercise.

Well good for me overall and whole lot good for the scale. Waiting is just part of the froth fun !! :jester:  :mosking:  

Robert

• Like 1

Pitty there's no green N with smoke deflectors, but I'm more than happy with the C. And a new run of green Bulleid's is welcome :) If the C is as good as the midland engines then bring it on. With a 4-6-2, 2-6-0 and 0-6-0 in the range it's only really a nice tank engine left that's needed in the Farish range now :)

Some good stuff here for me. I will go for the Railfreight Distribution 37/0 & 47, Mainline 47, weathered blue/grey MK1 SKs and BSK with ScotRail branding, InterCity MK1 RMB and the SR 50ft Bogie B Luggage Van in Departmental livery.

I may also pick up the Hebridean MK2s if any retailer decides to split the sets.

I will resist the refurbished 31s this time around, but may pick one up a bit later.

I think it was a good call producing the Network Rail yellow 31 and another 37, as the crazy prices the last 37 was going for on eBay must have been a source of frustration for those who missed it last time around.

374-432 Bulleid 63ft Brake Third Corridor Open in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

374-442 Bulleid 63ft Third Corridor in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

374-462 Bulleid 63ft Composite Corridor in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

Are these the same body shells as the existing:

374-430 Bulleid Semi-Open 2nd Brake Coach BR Green (SR)

374-440 Bulleid 2nd Corridor Coach BR Green (SR)

374-450 Bulleid 2nd Open Coach BR Green (SR)

374-460 Bulleid Composite Corridor Coach BR Green (SR)

but just renumbered and reclassified from 2nd to 3rd?

Or are they new tooling?

They appear under "Items listed are all new releases using existing tooling." but don't seem to be the same as previous tooling from the descriptions which had 'Open' versions.

Thank you

Edited by PrestburyJack

No Thompsons in maroon, I suspect I'll have to wait a year or so for these.  Still, it will give me chance to save up for them (and buy the points for Croft Spa...) 

Weathered brown vans are always welcome, especially when different to the previous lot.

Hopefully next year we will get a Darlington- built A1 with proper chimney and late crest and a Doncaster-built one with tin chimney and early crest - ie the opposite way round to the first release.  For the uninitiated Darlington used flush rivets and Doncaster snap head rivets, meaning locos from the two works are very different in appearance.

Les.