Farish announce C Class, all new 8F, refurb Class 31, Thompson coaches and TEA

Andy Y

Still waiting here for the Maroon Hawksworths. Farish seem to leave the oddest gaps in their range.  :dontknow:

This will go on to be one of life's great mysteries. My WR hydraulic collection is crying out for these and a full brake in BR blue wouldn't go amiss either.

It looks like history will repeat itself with the Thompsons.

Thanks Farish for the Ex-LMS Parcels Van in BR Blue livery (Weathered) if nothing else.

I was interested to read on the news section of Graham Muz's website that the 4 malachite Bulleid Coaches, although being sold separately, are numbered to make up set No 80 which ran on the SE section from 1949.  The 2 semi open brake thirds will have 80 on the outer ends.

https://grahammuz.com/2017/01/08/Bachmann-201718-range-announcements-includes-a-class-410-4bep-emu-in-00-and-ex-secr-c-class-in-n/

I haven't had a chance to do any digging yet, but does anyone know when that set might have been repainted into the darker shade of green?  I'm sure I'll get them anyway, but it would be good to know if it stretched into the 1960s. 

Mark

• RMweb Gold

374-432 Bulleid 63ft Brake Third Corridor Open in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

374-442 Bulleid 63ft Third Corridor in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

374-462 Bulleid 63ft Composite Corridor in BR (SR) Malachite Green livery

Are these the same body shells as the existing:

374-430 Bulleid Semi-Open 2nd Brake Coach BR Green (SR)

374-440 Bulleid 2nd Corridor Coach BR Green (SR)

374-450 Bulleid 2nd Open Coach BR Green (SR)

374-460 Bulleid Composite Corridor Coach BR Green (SR)

but just renumbered and reclassified from 2nd to 3rd?

Or are they new tooling?

They appear under "Items listed are all new releases using existing tooling." but don't seem to be the same as previous tooling from the descriptions which had 'Open' versions.

Thank you

Yes they are the same tooling. Third class changed to second class in 1956.

I was interested to read on the news section of Graham Muz's website that the 4 malachite Bulleid Coaches, although being sold separately, are numbered to make up set No 80 which ran on the SE section from 1949. The 2 semi open brake thirds will have 80 on the outer ends.

https://grahammuz.com/2017/01/08/Bachmann-201718-range-announcements-includes-a-class-410-4bep-emu-in-00-and-ex-secr-c-class-in-n/

I haven't had a chance to do any digging yet, but does anyone know when that set might have been repainted into the darker shade of green? I'm sure I'll get them anyway, but it would be good to know if it stretched into the 1960s.

Mark

Thanks for linking to my blog but just for correctness the set number as stated on my blog is Set 84 not 80 as your post.

I will check my records for their repainting dates when I get the chance.

Edited by Graham_Muz

Yes they are the same tooling. Third class changed to second class in 1956.

Thanks for linking to my blog but just for correctness the set number as stated on my blog is Set 84 not 80 as your post.

I will check my records for their repainting dates when I get the chance.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for replying - I always find your blog an interesting and highly informative resource.  I'd be very grateful to know the repainting date if you can find it - although if it turns out not to be news that I don't want to hear (ie too long before the 60s) there'll just have to be a very minor enforcement of rule No 1.

On the Set Nos - you're quite right, the details of all 4 individual coaches does indeed state 84 - the short text after the listings though states 80 - and I guess that number stuck being the last one that I read.

Thanks again for the valuable info.

Mark

Still no skinhead class 31 then & why not a split headcode class 40 without sound?

Presumably the split headcode will follow next year or the year after. They only have a finite amount of resources so something has to be done for sound or DCC on board or whichever. There will be people who model BR Green era who will be upset their model does not have sound. Perhaps you could sell the sound chip to someone who wants sound?

I do wonder if their reluctance to do the Hawksworths in maroon is because most of the diesel-hydralics that will pull them are made by Dapol rather than Farish, and they fear boosting sales of Dapol locos at the expense of their own? Or is that just being too cynical?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Farish (and Bachmann OO, for that matter), seem to have a policy of leaving the most popular livery till later—the same happened with the Ivatt 2MT, there is still no class 24 in (single) green with small yellow panels, we're still waiting for a 4MT with BR2 tender and late crest, and I could go on...

It's notable that Dapol don't do this. It doesn't make sense to have such a policy as far as I can see, but I assume they must have some reason—all I know is that it's cost them a number of sales to me!

I think it is a very canny thing to do. People will buy the less popular liveried or variant of model that lands first and still buy the one they originally intended to when it comes along.

Roy

A counter thought would be that the market just isn't that big these days to be manipulated like that.

Personally with the continuing increases in pricing I can barely afford one of my desired models these days. Buying one of each variant just ain't happening.

I also think that the wait for maroon Hawksworth's has outlived that mantra.

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting here for the Maroon Hawksworths. Farish seem to leave the oddest gaps in their range.  :dontknow:

Hi Matt,

I think here the issue is the size of the market.

Farish do not want to flood the market, and clearly have a policy of starting with the older liveries first. They have done this with their Staniers, Bulleids, Hawksworths and the new Thompsons are listed in Teak and C&C only too.

I expect you know the catalogue number of each coach has a suffix, which denotes how many times it has been run. The Mk1 SK in BR maroon, for example, is 374-053G, meaning that they have produced eight runs now (or 4000 coaches.)

The Staniers in LMS Maroon or BR C&C are up to C, so they are clearly selling through, and have now appeared in BR Maroon too.

However, the first run of Hawksworths in both GWR and BR C&C liveries are still listed with no suffix, suggesting that the first runs have still not sold through.

This is probably the simple, and sadly unexciting, reason they haven't yet decided to offer them in maroon;

I doubt it has too much to do with worrying about locos from other manufacturers, after all Farish have a rather nice Warship and an all-new Castle in their own range.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I expect you know the catalogue number of each coach has a suffix, which denotes how many times it has been run. The Mk1 SK in BR maroon, for example, is 374-053G, meaning that they have produced eight runs now (or 4000 coaches.)

Hi Ben

Wouldn't that be 8000 Mk1 SKs? My understanding has always been that mainstream production runs are 1008 units and limited editions 504?

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

If what Ben A. suggested above is the case, it shows the stupidity of producing a less popular livery first—if it doesn't sell, the later version which might be much more popular might never be made.

I'm afraid that with prices as high as they now are, I'm no longer going to purchase items that aren't in the livery I really want. I have a "vacancy" for a Hawksworth brake in maroon livery. But I am NOT buying one in crimson/cream. If Bachmann don,t want my money, there are other things to spend it on...

• RMweb Gold

Roy - I was taking 500 as the minimum - it could be 1000.

Nimbus - What I didn't mention was that when Dapol produced Gresley coaches they apparently "listened" to their customers and offered them in maroon first.

They didn't sell.

I suspect that what Dapol (and Farish) took from this was that while there are a small number of vocal supporters who clamour for maroon pre-BR coaching stock, mainstream sales are to be found in the original liveries.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Roy - I was taking 500 as the minimum - it could be 1000.

Nimbus - What I didn't mention was that when Dapol produced Gresley coaches they apparently "listened" to their customers and offered them in maroon first.

They didn't sell.

I suspect that what Dapol (and Farish) took from this was that while there are a small number of vocal supporters who clamour for maroon pre-BR coaching stock, mainstream sales are to be found in the original liveries.

Cheers

Ben A.

Perhaps why they did not sell was that the bogie centres were out and looked 'wrong'. If I had seen them beforehand I would not have got any from the initial batch - having said that most of the reason I dislike them is that they seem to decouple a lot more easily than the later ones.

Therefore, you have to consider whether it is the livery or quality of the model that is the cause of something not selling.  

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps why they did not sell was that the bogie centres were out and looked 'wrong'.

<snipped>

That's absolutely right, but from Farish's point of view why take the chance? Especially as their policy with all other pre-nationalisation coaches has been to release in earliest liveries first

Cheers

Ben A.

8F has been long overdue and will sell very well. The C Class is an interesting surprise but one that makes a lot of sense. I agree with the earlier post – I expect we may well see the Wainwright in the full blown SECR livery as a Club special. Perhaps in time we'll also see an E4 shrunk.

I do wonder if their reluctance to do the Hawksworths in maroon is because most of the diesel-hydralics that will pull them are made by Dapol rather than Farish, and they fear boosting sales of Dapol locos at the expense of their own? Or is that just being too cynical?

Farish do the Warships and (soon) the Castles, both of which would be right at home with Maroon Hawksworths. If they were worried about boosting Dapol sales then they probably would never have released the Hawksworths at all given the Dapol have the Halls, Granges, Manors, Brits and even Panniers, all of which ran with the Hawksworths in their earlier liveries.

I suspect Ben is probably right about the original run not selling out yet. I have some but perhaps I need to buy a couple more to encourage them along a bit.  :angel:

• Like 2

I Think Ben chose the wrong coach to illustrate his point.. When the Mk1 SK coaches were released as "Blue Riband" they were catalogue number 374-061, The latest release should have been 374-061C but Farish decided to use the old catalogue number from the previous printed side models, even though they were told as soon as it was spotted. That is still 4000 coaches though. 

Cheers

Mark

Missed this first time I went through the list but looking forward to the class 20 in blue with discs. Don't like the weathered one they did...I'll be able to get rid of that now.

Still like to see the red stripe 20 with discs. Good to see the referb 31.

Alan