Farish announce C Class, all new 8F, refurb Class 31, Thompson coaches and TEA

Andy Y

Missed this first time I went through the list but looking forward to the class 20 in blue with discs. Don't like the weathered one they did...I'll be able to get rid of that now.

Still like to see the red stripe 20 with discs. Good to see the referb 31.

Alan

I'm quite tempted myself, although it is wearing an oddball variation in terms of the cabside arrows, etc. which represents it's post-BR days. It will have to adjusted!

I stand very much corrected. Looks like it had that decal arrangement the first time until about 1982. Thanks for the link.

This style with the BR double arrow on the cab side was carried by a number of Class 20's in the mid 1970's until around the early 1980's. 20048 has carried a representation of this livery in preservation, based on the BR livery carried by 20048 around the 1976/77 period when still a VO engine.

Edited by EE 8SVT

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting observation about the STD 5. I don't think the first batch was a particularly fast seller, with some still being available and heavily discounted until recently. 

Dropping poor selling models to free up production slots for others perhaps?

Tom. 

Looks like the SYP 31 has sold out and maybe the SYP 55 is close to selling out as it is still showing as in stock at Barwell.

Maybe they saw it as pointless putting them in the catalogue if they can't supply, alternatively they just forgot to put them in the catalogue? :scratchhead:

Cheers

Mark

Noted in the new Farish 2017 catalogue that the Standard 5 4-6-0 is completely dropped and that green SYP versions of Classes 31 and 55 no longer feature.

Interesting observation about the STD 5. I don't think the first batch was a particularly fast seller, with some still being available and heavily discounted until recently. 

Dropping poor selling models to free up production slots for others perhaps?

Tom. 

Well spotted Crepello.  Quite surprised that the Std 5s have been dropped - they're lovely models, ran everywhere and I would have thought they'd be in the catalogue for decades.  The older 3MTs and 4MT 2-6-0s have both had re-runs with different numbers so they obviously sold well enough.  If poor sales is the reason the 5MTs are missing from the catalogue I wonder why they didn't do better?  The two I bought certainly flew off the shelves!

And ... if the Std 5 didn't sell well, what hope is there for the less mainstream offerings such as the birdcage coaches, newly announced C class etc? 

Mark

In terms of the Standard 5 model, just like the real version, it's a bit 'boring'. If you are looking at well known/popular trains e.g. Cambrian coast express, then for RA reasons they were mostly associated with either Standard 4 classes.

As for it missing from the catalogue, as far as a couple of shop have told me, if it isn't still in stock at GFand/or announced for a re-run then it's not listed. For something which has had a couple of recent runs it may be that you may have to wait a year or two. However, it would help if they list old models as either 'dead' or new runs subject to demand and capacity.

As for it missing from the catalogue, as far as a couple of shop have told me, if it isn't still in stock at GFand/or announced for a re-run then it's not listed. 

Yes, and of course just because Bachmann don't have it in stock in their warehouse doesn't mean that some stocks of them arent still available on retailers shelves - it just means one might have to search around a bit to find what you want.

G

Yes, and of course just because Bachmann don't have it in stock in their warehouse doesn't mean that some stocks of them arent still available on retailers shelves - it just means one might have to search around a bit to find what you want.

G

For example last week I purchased a Farish loco from Osbornes that had been out of stock in the warehouse & unavailable from the big box-shifters for months.

• RMweb Premium

Seams odd to retire a model so quickly. I'm sure there will be more down the line. I'll be having a couple of C class loco's though :) And at least birdcage sets!

Most likely not retired, just that the model is over exposed on the market at the moment and not selling well. As such best to leave it a couple of years before making more. 

Most likely not retired, just that the model is over exposed on the market at the moment and not selling well. As such best to leave it a couple of years before making more. 

Seems to happen with models, Hornby has done the same with some OO gauge models. No doubt we will see further runs of various models they have shelved for now. Lets not forget they are trying to catch up on previous products annoucned so limiting what we get this year will help that. Give it time and new model numbers may increase, providing we all buy them.

• RMweb Premium

Further catalogue checks show that the BR wooden 13t opens have gone--though they may have gone before. Hopefully a fitted version will be produced in future--a much-needed vehicle to add variety to freights.

The Class 14 has gone too.

I very much doubt that the Standard 5MT will be dropped after one production run with the money invested in it. So far 4,000 have been  shipped to suppliers and even if the last few were sold heavily discounted that is a fair number and doubtless with a bit of research they will remain available in shops for a while yet. Universally it appears to have been well received, it is well made, accurate and runs very well. With the bigger tender in particular it is also a good candidate for a sound conversion.

Each re-run will need it's own production slot so if these are limited it seems entirely logical to "rest" some products from the catalogue for a year or two and target sales of new products. How quickly items get re-run will no doubt be down to previous sales and sales projections. The Ivatt 2MT for example seems to have done well with two new models slotting into the range immediately the three original models had sold through.

Roy

The only trouble is when a model skips a couple of years it comes back with a larger price.

Mais oui,

I'd expect prices to rise if costs have increased. And over the last few years we've seen increases in material and labour, and now adverse exchange rates for imported goods. I don't think it is realistic to expect manufacturers and retailers to trim margins to maintain prices.

Plus, of course, we can't expect manufacturers to continue to make poor sellers and tie up finance in slow selling stock. Fortunately, as already mentioned, even when Bachmann no longer have warehouse stocks, sometimes those models can be found on less popular retailers shelves.

G.

• Like 1

Further catalogue checks show that the BR wooden 13t opens have gone--though they may have gone before. Hopefully a fitted version will be produced in future--a much-needed vehicle to add variety to freights.

The Class 14 has gone too.

The unfitted 5-plank was a 9' wb ex-PO mineral wagon. The railway company-owned fitted general merchandise 5-planks and their BR-built equivalents were 10' wb; i.e. a different prototype(s), and would be a completely new wagon. British N has probably evolved past the stage where a single generic model can cover both.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see that the announced...

377-625B 12 Ton BR Plywood Fruit Van in BR Bauxite early livery

...has gone missing from the Farish product list on the last couple of updates.

I wonder if that's a clerical error, or if its been axed?

• RMweb Premium

The unfitted 5-plank was a 9' wb ex-PO mineral wagon. The railway company-owned fitted general merchandise 5-planks and their BR-built equivalents were 10' wb; i.e. a different prototype(s), and would be a completely new wagon. British N has probably evolved past the stage where a single generic model can cover both.

You're right Tim--I hadn't noticed that before. Decent 10' chassis are already available (12T vans and steel opens), so a body only job would produce these nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I see that the announced...

377-625B 12 Ton BR Plywood Fruit Van in BR Bauxite early livery

...has gone missing from the Farish product list on the last couple of updates.

I wonder if that's a clerical error, or if its been axed?

Hopefully the former, as it's in the 2017 catalogue.