Farish announce C Class, all new 8F, refurb Class 31, Thompson coaches and TEA

Andy Y

I did pretty much exactly this to a Hornby Black 5 which couldn't pull the skin off yoghurt, never mind rice pudding. Tender drive from an older iteration and just bypassed the drawbar for electrical feed to the motor there using a RC 2 wire harness. The tender drive did need a resistor in series to bring its speed down a tad, but afterwards it'd match the Bachmann 9F for haulage on my old garden railway.

The Farish Stanier tender drive mech will haul 50 on the level, so I have little doubt that no matter what Farish produces with the 8F, I'll get one that will do what I need it to do. It'd just be nice not to have to mess with it too much. Stripping out DCC sound is certainly the least of my concerns though, that is in no way what I would call a sacrifice. I want a slogger rather than a rattling matchbox :locomotive:

I'd agree with Tom, horrible things and very good at spreading dirt.

Jerr

Not in my experience and possibly a bit of an urban myth I would say Jerry. My track is less dirty these days than it was years ago in the times of old Farish steam with metal bodies for traction weight and no tyres. That may be partly to do with running DCC these days possibly, but the fact remains most of the steam loco on my layout currently have tyres, only the 4MT Tank and 4F do not and the track stays pretty clean.

Regards

Roy

Not in my experience and possibly a bit of an urban myth I would say Jerry. My track is less dirty these days than it was years ago in the times of old Farish steam with metal bodies for traction weight and no tyres. That may be partly to do with running DCC these days possibly, but the fact remains most of the steam loco on my layout currently have tyres, only the 4MT Tank and 4F do not and the track stays pretty clean.

Regards

Roy

I'm with Roy on this one.

Of my two exhibition layouts Hawthorn Dene has vastly less trouble with dirty track than NO PLACE.   Hawthorn Dene has a lot of locos by Farish, Dapol, and UM with traction tyres and very few without.  Track is cleaned before the start of each day at a show, and only needs off bits touching over during the show, though as a precaution we often run the rubber along the front in the early afternoon if it goes quiet.   On the other hand NO PLACE is not only OO gauge, but is a totally traction-tyre free layout, and we have no end of trouble with track dirt causing stalling.  Any given piece of track can pick up enough dirt to start locos stuttering in about two to three hours.

My big traction tyre beef with Farish was the reluctance to admit that there was a milling issue with tyred wheels, particularly affecting the WD.  If you got a correctly milled one you could hang 60 wagons behind it and it would walk away with them.  However, the depth of the milled grooves on the WD tyred wheels varied from wheel to wheel (and thus from loco to loco).  The deeper the groove the less tyre touching the rail and the weaker the loco.  On one of my WDs the tyres don't touch the rails at all, giving a maximum load of ten four-wheeled Farish/Peco wagons and a brake.

The nearest I have come to getting an admission from Bachmann was when I mentioned that I had an A2 with tyres on an ungrooved wheel and produced it as evidence (mentioning the WD) the reply was "We thought we had solved that problem". Almost any other manufacturer would have come clean on this and suggested that purchasers exchanged affected wheelsets, though I don't think most would fund the exchange...….

Les

Of my two exhibition layouts Hawthorn Dene has vastly less trouble with dirty track than NO PLACE.   Hawthorn Dene has a lot of locos by Farish, Dapol, and UM with traction tyres and very few without.  Track is cleaned before the start of each day at a show, and only needs off bits touching over during the show, though as a precaution we often run the rubber along the front in the early afternoon if it goes quiet.   On the other hand NO PLACE is not only OO gauge, but is a totally traction-tyre free layout, and we have no end of trouble with track dirt causing stalling.  Any given piece of track can pick up enough dirt to start locos stuttering in about two to three hours.

Do they tarnish at different rates when just left alone, by any chance?

I've found that even different batches of PECO rail tend to tarnish/get dirty at different rates. On a circular test track of PECO Settrack cobbled together from some new, some old, track sections, I find that some of the sections tarnish a LOT between uses, when others hardly tarnish at all. I couldn't now tell you whether it was the newer or older ones that tarnish more though! Point is, the precise metallurgy of the rail seems to be variable, and to make a lot of difference. If you bought your N and OO rail at different times, they might well use nickel silver rail from different batches etc?

Equally, I can well believe that the chemistry of the rubber/plastic used for the traction tires could well have changed several times, and be different between manufacturers. That might explain why some appear to deposit material and others don't.

J

I don't suppose there is any sign of the Sealink Mk1's at all?

I am beginning to think Farish have quietly forgotten about them.

I know that before Bachmann ruined, sorry I mean reorganised their website, I think it said that they would be out in May next year. 

• RMweb Premium

So the thick end of two and a half years from announcement to proposed production now for a livery they have already done in OO on an existing tooling item.

Not great is it?

• RMweb Premium

I don't suppose there is any sign of the Sealink Mk1's at all?

I am beginning to think Farish have quietly forgotten about them.

Does anyone have an idea when BR introduced the Sealink livery for coaches? I'm hoping it was pre-1982.

Does anyone have an idea when BR introduced the Sealink livery for coaches? I'm hoping it was pre-1982.

Early 1984 I think. There is a thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75968-mark-1-coaches-sealink-livery-numbering-bogies/

EDIT: although I have seen another thread that says from 1982. IIRC coaches ran first with Sealink branding on blue-grey, and later painted into the more striking livery.

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

I've not seen pictures of any blue/grey Mk1's with Sealink branding but would be very happy to be proved wrong as that is a far simpler re-do than a full repaint Sealink livery which I have done.

• 2 weeks later...