Farish announce C Class, all new 8F, refurb Class 31, Thompson coaches and TEA

Andy Y

The SECR grey is not strictly wartime as it lingered on until the Grouping and most photos I know of engines in that livery are from 1920-22. I'd question though whether many engines were ever painted in unlined olive green since so few photos exist of them (the lettering and numbering was different from the grey livery), hence querying Bachmann's proposal of a green loco.

• RMweb Gold

There was very little in the way of new N stuff on show at Warley, only the Birdcage stock in EP form (which looked excellent) and painted samples of various re-liveries, including West Coast and Arriva Class 57s. The finish on these two really was outstanding.  I had a good look at the production class 40s for me the gap between the bogies is a total non-issue unless you are looking at it dead side on, and even then it's not as bad as the hugely blown up photos in the mags and on-line suggest it to be.

Bachmann really are nailing it when it comes to quality of finish and overall standard at the moment. The heady days of 7 new loco releases a year may be behind us, but I think the quality of recent models makes up for the reduced output, and the price rises!

Now, about that West Country Mr. Bachmann................

post-1467-0-85708100-1511785241.jpg

post-1467-0-66976900-1511785246.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I spy a Colas 70 underneath too. That's a tough livery to print on that body - which is a new tool to mimic changes to the real thing since introduction too, I think?

Correct, whatever modifications the real thing has, the model is tooled to represent it. The Colas livery on the 70 & 37 was equally as well done as the others on display. Lovely looking models. 

Tom.  

• 2 weeks later...

There was very little in the way of new N stuff on show at Warley, only the Birdcage stock in EP form (which looked excellent) and painted samples of various re-liveries, including West Coast and Arriva Class 57s. The finish on these two really was outstanding.  I had a good look at the production class 40s for me the gap between the bogies is a total non-issue unless you are looking at it dead side on, and even then it's not as bad as the hugely blown up photos in the mags and on-line suggest it to be.

Bachmann really are nailing it when it comes to quality of finish and overall standard at the moment. The heady days of 7 new loco releases a year may be behind us, but I think the quality of recent models makes up for the reduced output, and the price rises!

Now, about that West Country Mr. Bachmann................

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Tom. 

I think a Lord Nelson in N and retooled 00 version would make more sense than a west country. Besides Dapol are meant (even though they seem to have mothballed it) to be working on one? Maybe you could do what a few impatient people seem to have done; I have seen a lot of people just renumber/name farish merchant navies as west countries! a particular layout at Warley had a 'Blackmore Vale' and a 'City of Wells' going round. :dontknow:

Edited by HRH_Dan_Hull

• RMweb Gold

I think a Lord Nelson in N and retooled 00 version would make more sense than a west country. Besides Dapol are meant (even though they seem to have mothballed it) to be working on one? Maybe you could do what a few impatient people seem to have done; I have seen a lot of people just renumber/name farish merchant navies as west countries! a particular layout at Warley had a 'Blackmore Vale' and a 'City of Wells' going round. :dontknow:

I'd be more than happy with a Lord Nelson! 

Tom.  

I'd be more than happy with a Lord Nelson! 

Tom.  

It has surely got to the top of the 00 retool pile by now? when was the last one done? 1990? and pre war SR top link power is a huge gap in the N gauge market *braces ready for mention of the Schools!*. Also perhaps some new Pullmans to go with a Nelson would be the icing on the cake!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I having a bad nightmare or is this really the extent of the Farish announcements for 2018 for us classic diesel enthusiasts? No disc headcode class 40 in blue, no disc headcode class 31, no class 24/1 (25/0) or later class 25 which hasn't been updated since the 1980's, Farish you are usless!

• RMweb Premium

No, you are not dreaming, there was very little bar a few DMU's for the Rail Blue enthusiast (and then only 108's, no more 101's that are desperately needed if the silly Ebay prices for even the clapped out old Poole versions are fetching are anything to go by).

No fresh runs of any blue/grey coaching stock either, may be a case of stock up on the bread and butter Mk1 SO. SK and BG whilst you can as I can see these disappearing fast with another batch now a minimum of eighteen months to two years away.

• RMweb Premium

Am I having a bad nightmare or is this really the extent of the Farish announcements for 2018 for us classic diesel enthusiasts? No disc headcode class 40 in blue, no disc headcode class 31, no class 24/1 (25/0) or later class 25 which hasn't been updated since the 1980's, Farish you are usless!

That's a bit harsh! We've got the 2 new Deltics on the way. I'm surprised about the lack of 25/3 or 45/6 though.

Really uncalled for, the 40 has only just landed so itsfar too soon for another run.Ok I fully appreciate some people (me included) want several 40's but we all have a budget and Farish have a wide rang to produce, next year I am sure they will do another batch of 40's. Give them time with the 31's they are still working on the refurbished 31's.

Chances are they are working on a 24/1 and 25/0 and later 25 but they are announcing models later in the process, if they did announce them now chances are you would have a moan because they are not out straight away.

No, you are not dreaming, there was very little bar a few DMU's for the Rail Blue enthusiast (and then only 108's, no more 101's that are desperately needed if the silly Ebay prices for even the clapped out old Poole versions are fetching are anything to go by).

No fresh runs of any blue/grey coaching stock either, may be a case of stock up on the bread and butter Mk1 SO. SK and BG whilst you can as I can see these disappearing fast with another batch now a minimum of eighteen months to two years away.

It's a Blue/Grey FK that I'm really after. I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.

• RMweb Premium

It's a Blue/Grey FK that I'm really after. I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.

Long sold out and no second issue yet. I do have rather a lot of them as I need them for my Motorail services...sorry.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I recall correctly, a Mk1 FK in blue/grey also appeared in a train pack which was split up by some retailers (also providing a source of BSK and RMBs as well) but even these have now dried up it seems.

I need a Mk2 FK and even these have become scarce.

If I recall correctly, a Mk1 FK in blue/grey also appeared in a train pack which was split up by some retailers (also providing a source of BSK and RMBs as well) but even these have now dried up it seems.

I need a Mk2 FK and even these have become scarce.

I've got a Mk1 FO in blue/grey, which was split from the Cumbrian Mountain Express train pack.

I went to one of Bachmann's showcase trade/press open days yesterday for a briefing of the new 2018 range and pick up the new 2018 catalogue. The N class with smoke deflectors and the class 251 Pullman DEMU with jumper cables were both on display as painted samples so they should be available some time later this year.

In addition there was some update on product announced in previous years. The GWR railcar is in production. On display was an EP of the 100t TEA tanker (looking very nice) and apparently they have just received an EP of the C class and painted samples of the Birdcage coaching stock. Research has been completed on the class 319, 70/8, refurb 31, 8F, Mk2F and Thompson coaches and this, along with the specifications, has been sent to China for the CADs to be drawn up.

The new class 158, J72 and class 47 with cut away buffer beam shroud are currently being researched. The new class 47s will need retooling to accommodate a speaker under the roof as well as the more obvious changes - cut away bb, jumper cable socket, different fuel tanks.There will be four J72/E1 models produced.

HTH

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Received emails from Hattons this morning saying the price of the C class and birdcage coaches will be higher than originally estimated. Brexit strikes again :(

Brexit has nothing to do with it. These were Hatton’s own estimated prices, as Bachmann had not confirmed the RRP when announced. The fact that Hatton's were slightly out and are now increasing prices is purely down their guess being wrong. The sound fitted 8F has come down in price from Hattons original estimate, but I suppose that fact doesn’t suit your anti Brexit comment.

Tom.

Edited by TomE