"Buxnot" An O Gauge loco for £170, never

squeaky

As you can guess it all started with a Dapol 08 that was purchased for £170, which makes O gauge seem a lot more accessible.

At the same time I also bought a Grampus wagon kit which I'm part way through building. Then my attention turned to a mainline loco and I've have just ordered a Heljan class 60 in triple grey livery.

So then I'm thinking about somewhere to run these locos........................at the moment I have one piece of Peco track to run up and down which isn't far!

So having a Class 60 puts the time fame at 1990 onwards, a blue 08 will be OK also.

With a change around in the house I now have about 14ft for a layout. So i'm thinking a small depot with a couple of sidings for the other wagons I will be buying. I have been following another thread on RMweb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117138-the-big-leap-starts-with-a-gronk/ which is similar my my situation, always wanted to do 7mm but never took the plunge, one of the layout ideas discussed is Buxton which I like the look of.

So I've come up with this...

post-7333-0-22529900-1483728801_thumb.jpg

This was done with Peco track but that is another big debate still to be sorted, I may build my own with C & L components.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to this squeaky, I've just received a metre of C&L flexi so I can have a play and a bag full of chairs and sleepers, if you going O you may as well go the whole hog an build your own you really enjoy it :) having said d that there's nothing wrong with peco :D

Cheers

Well here is the 08 Shunter, the one that started this slippery slope into poverty!

post-7333-0-76222600-1483812645_thumb.jpg

post-7333-0-31308700-1483812653_thumb.jpg

Here it is again posing with the first vehicle for my new layout "Buxnot"

post-7333-0-60534700-1483812658_thumb.jpg

I have also now received 3 more wagons, 2 x Dogfish in dutch livery and a Squid!

So which class 37 should I go for......?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the money pit! But seriously, a great decision. I have built two C&L turnouts, just to see how it can be done, and I recommend that route, coupled with their flexi track. For a larger layout I would probably switch to Peco because I like to build brass kits.

Can't help with the Class 37, though, after my time!

• RMweb Gold

I've gone for the green full yellow ends and a blue one, try building some track and if you enjoy it build it all that's what I've done in the past in 4mm and it gives you a great sense of achievement.

Cheers

Hi squeaky; you look like you're on the same path as me.. I still haven't planned a layout but was also thinking of the depot/ sidings option.. I want a 60 but not sure if I want TTG or EWS..

I've already decided on peco track though; I don't think I'll have the time to build it myself..

Good luck with the project; hopefully we'll learn from each other and the font of knowledge on here..

Well I went for it and bought a Class 60 TTG. It arrived with a couple of issues.

One front windscreen pushed in. Needs gluing back in.

2 Wipers broken.

post-7333-0-45079900-1484929731_thumb.jpg

And a couple of small bits (horns) had come off that were easily re-attached, plus a couple of rub marks.

post-7333-0-49798400-1484929737_thumb.jpg

I have also received the transfers and nameplates. Railtec and Fox

post-7333-0-37230200-1484929744_thumb.jpg

I have just ordered the Zimo sound decoder from Paul Chetter.......

Archived