Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Given that display at Railex in the UK is the "destination" then being outside the UK would undoubtedly pose some challenges, although we have the post, e-mails, websites and places such as RMweb at our disposal, so I'm not sure it's completely impossible.

I can definitely assure everyone that the whole approach from the "judging end" is going to be flexible and open minded.

We are happily ahead of team Pendon's very good multiple cameos display suggestion though, as this is the form the final display will take. Exact shape and size to be confirmed but in principle cleared with David Lane, although I don't think there will be any judging at the event itself.

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The competition announcement prompted me to have another dip into Iain's book and I have to rate it as very enjoyably put together, a very meaty read and in my opinion still good value for money. Even if Iain inevitably goes over some well-trodden ground with regard to some of his ideas, it's always done in an entertaining and thought-provoking way.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So you are in the UK as well, then, Stubby?

Don't forget that you have to pay a fee each time you cross the water to enter England.

Can I just point out, you pay for the privilege of entering Wales.

Iechydd Dda.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I just point out, you pay for the privilege of entering Wales.

You may.

That is indeed a privilege, and one I am happy to pay for, on those occasions when I can't be ar*ed to go via Gloucester.

Voici la meme chose de Monsieur Glockenspiel, le plus grande homme d'Horrocksford.

• RMweb Gold

You may.

That is indeed a privilege, and one I am happy to pay for, on those occasions when I can't be ar*ed to go via Gloucester.

Voici la meme chose de Monsieur Glockenspiel, le plus grande homme d'Horrocksford.

En effet, Horrocksford est plein d'anguilles

• RMweb Gold

Lorsque les mouettes suivent le chalutier, c'est parce qu'ils pensent que les saucisses seront jetées dans la mer.

post-14122-0-57341500-1492378717.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Henry préférerait-il que ses écaillés ou purée accompagnent ses saucisses?

• RMweb Gold

Here we go again - another serious Wild Swan/Cygnet thread appears to be descending into a spiral of nonsense! For the benefit of those of us that don't speak French or (I presume), Welsh, could we please have another serious thread where the merits of the book and/or cameo competion are the topic of conversation, in a language we can all understand?

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Here we go again - another serious Wild Swan/Cygnet thread appears to be descending into a spiral of nonsense! For the benefit of those of us that don't speak French or (I presume), Welsh, could we please have another serious thread where the merits of the book and/or cameo competion are the topic of conversation, in a language we can all understand?

+1

...R

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Dan

Oui, avec plaisir.

+1

...R

Oui, plus un

I think we can blame the bloke that works for Wild Swan for that one.  :jester:

Yes, always worth a punt. He's a good sport, even if he does get a bit pedantic over my signalboxes.

• Like 1

'''Tis a good book, bringing the Rice approach together, in one place; very readable; well illustrated. A summing-up of c40 years development, if you like.

Presumably it is now also available in French and Welsh editions, with other languages, including Wilts, to follow.

Kevin

• Like 1

A couple of points:

1) Can one enter cameos which are already built?

2) A similar concept can be found in the S4 Soc's Standard Gauge Workbench challenge and some of the suggestions by Iain and myself in Scalefour News and the participants in Scalefour Forum might provide ideas for this new challenge.

And no, I don't mind if some of our ideas have been pinched - the idea of both challenges is to encourage people to have a go at making a wortwhile layout within limited parameters of space, time and money.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses among a wider congregation than just the S4 fraternity.

Ian Everett

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Dan

+1

...R

Gentlemen, please do not confuse frivolity with a lack of seriousness. I am quite serious in my approach to the competition and for voicing my unequivocal support for Creating Cameo Layouts by Iain Rice or as we also say;

'Création de mises en page' par Iain Rice

and;

' Creu cynlluniau cameo' gan Iain Rice

Once the entry forms are available to download, I am sure all questions will be answered and the actual parameters known, though a good indication will be found in the current edition of MRJ.

The over riding aspect of the comp is self expression, an opportunity for individuals to place their stamp on a given subject, that of producing a cameo layout. Mine will have examples of my sense of humour, inevitable I'm afraid but it's who I am and how I model. I play trains to relax, to step off the merry go round.

I have never entered a modelling competition in my life and I do so now to take part, enjoy it, swap ideas and without expectation. If in doing so I offer support to Simon for organising this and pay some small tribute to Iain in return for years of inspiration and enjoyment through numerous of his books bought and articles read then, to quote Robin......

+1

Entente Cordiale.

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I note the outline competition parameters include a reference to finescale.

Does finescale encompass monorails, for example Indian ?

Tread carefully, Stubbers, Old Papadum . You're in danger of triggering a very ugly row about gauges.....You know the type, OO v EM v PQRS 4 v monorail......awful mess.

Rob.

Gentlemen, please do not confuse frivolity with a lack of seriousness.

I don't. But when too many column-inches are taken up with frivolity it is hard to find the serious bits.

Do the frivolity in another Thread with a link from this one.

...R

• RMweb Gold

I don't. But when too many column-inches are taken up with frivolity it is hard to find the serious bits.

Do the frivolity in another Thread with a link from this one.

Sorry Robin, is that an instruction or a polite request?

Or a suggestion, it could be a suggestion, I suppose.

Edited by Captain Kernow

I like the way these threads always end up going off topic by people complaining about the thread going off topic. ;)

So what is the proper definition of a cameo layout?

I take it it's a minimum space self contained layout that is in a box.

So does a OO9 rabbit warren coffee table layout fit? As I've got a half finished one of those somewhere. :sarcastic:

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I like the way these threads always end up going off topic by people complaining about the thread going off topic. ;)

So what is the proper definition of a cameo layout?

I take it it's a minimum space self contained layout that is in a box.

So does a OO9 rabbit warren coffee table layout fit? As I've got a half finished one of those somewhere. :sarcastic:

Jason

Without wishing to sound in the least bit frivolous, rather than say a OO9 rabbit warren coffee table layout is half finished, should we say half dug....

Anyway, Iain Rice states in MRJ 254, a cameo layout can be summed as follows;

Small and concise, typically in the range of 1-2 metres( modelled scene )

It seeks to present its subject in as realistic and natural a manner as possible, using 'staged' presentation and eyelevel viewpoints.

The model is integrated with a display and support structure-including lighting and electrics.

The modelling is executed to a high standard: 'small but exquisite' favouring fine scale wheel and track standards and a high level of detail.

The layout is engineered and specified for realistic, reliable and refined running and prototypical operation.

The whole thing should be as self contained as possible and easy to transport, set up and store.

These are the bullet points however he does go on to say that in the context of this challenge he suggests that optimum is four and a half feet long.

But as per an earlier post of mine, perhaps we should wait to obtain an entry form which will set out the exact parameters.

Rob

• Like 1