Templot 3 way offset and Y

L&Y

Stuck inside with illness that prevents further progress on the baseboards. On the plus side it's given me chance to start messing with Templot. It seems fairly straight forward for turnouts. And really great for curved turnouts. Why I hadn't done this before? But I wish to use a 3 way offset and also a Y. The videos for these are for an earlier version so can't be followed though they do help. I hadn't realized how complex track can be. In the video for the 3 way two different types of switch are used. A BH and left and an A7 right hand. Why?  Is V3 acceptable for the crossing on the two curved lines... (Whats the term for that?) The two main V crossings would be a V5. The video starts with two turnouts partially sleepered! How you get to that. I can only remove all the sleepers. Lol. 

Next the Y. I read a post that states that the video is out of date and that using a half diamond is the way to go. That looks good for the nose end but attaching a switch to it is another challenge. 

I was originally planning to use Marcway kits and slaters chairs just cut and glued to the sleepers. But if I can just crack these two turnouts then I can save a small fortune and make the lot from components. And compress the 3 way from 72" to 56" and get more in! My plan is for a small industrial self contained line in O-mf throughout. So maybe flat bottomed rail would be the better choice than Bullhead? 

Spent a day and a half on Templot so maybe I'm asking a bit much but the bits between the teeth. Really amazing program I do love messing with it. It's just like so many things. Once when you start to understand. You discover a whole new world and that you've barely scratched the surface. 

edit: The templot tutorial videos that is. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Tandem turnouts are at the more experienced end of Templot and you do need to be familiar with the program to get good results.

There is some guidance on what to look out for in creating a tandem in this topic:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2394&forum_id=22#p16119

I'm sorry the docs are out of date, but the basic procedures remain the same. A new video for tandem turnouts is on my to-do list after I have got the next program update released.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks for the speedy reply. And for your amazing program. I had another go tonight and got further. It's just use in the end. Will go through that carefully and see if things become clearer! If all else fails I can use kits for those two and build the rest from scratch. It will still look a lot better with a gentle curve. 

Yes thanks I worked that out now. There's a world of advice in the Templot club under baffled beginners. Which for some reason I had missed. Have gone back and built a simple track plan. St Ives. And learned quite a bit from doing it. So will have a go at the Y next.  Love it. 

Archived