60009 Union of South Africa & 61994 The Great Marquess

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone considered that Mr Cameron wants to house his own engines on his own land, at least partly, because he might want to look upon his own property, without having to travel to Bo'ness, Strathspey, York, Darlington, et al?

Just a thought.

I, for one, commend his actions, and all power to him.

Edited by scottystitch

What a wonderful machine it is. The purpose it was built for came in handy on the steep and winding branch to Blaenau Ffestiniog. I am really glad I saw it in action. Time for a RTR 4mm model methinks....

WEB K4 3.jpg

21st August 2012 above at Dolwydellen and 30 July 2013 below at Blaenau Ffestiniog.....

WEB K4 1.jpg

It is a terrific machine, and I hope that I am able to see it running at some future point. Though that will obviously be up to whoever ends up owning it when Mr Cameron is beyond caring.

I think most people are just grateful to be able to see some of our old steam locos in action. The K4 certainly had a good run. I would dearly love to see the MR Compound in action on heritage lines, and in BR lined black too, but we can't have everything haha...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

To Heydon and all the other keyboard warriors who are bad mouthing John

heres an invite

Get off your fat backsides and come to the Gresley Meeting in Doncaster next Sat  7/7

You might have the chance to show us just how big a man you are as there is a good chance of him being there

See you there........Thought not

So put up or  shut up please

Edited by bobthesod4479
  • Like 1

Surprised this thread hasn't actually been blocked yet.

As someone who was at Crail many many years ago to see Union come off BR track and head to Lochty and then lucky enough to see her on her 1st run back on BR and also on numerous other times such as Haymarket, Perth, Grimsby and Aviemore I heartily agree with the last few supportive posts.

a) His property and being retired (so she's nearer to him?) to Colinsburgh area near Fife (actually will be fairly close to Lochty and Crail again)

b) I, and I suspect a number of the more sensible commenters, owe Mr J Cameron a great debt. I personally enjoyed seeing Union many times and would quite like to see her in her new home if and when open to the public.

c) Working 7/7 so unhappily won't make Doncaster.

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 3

Seemingly not mentioned is the fact that Mr.Cameron was a very big farmer (can't remember what field of farming, sorry about the pun!). As such he wants to create a museum related to his story of farming, and part of that is to include his 2 engines. So, far from being a small museum with 2 locos, it is planned to be a huge attraction that includes the locos, which ar too expensive to maintain in running order considering his age.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

The farming business is sheep farming, at one time the biggest operation in Europe. You could argue the sheep farming funded the costly locomotive repairs.

Dava

Surprised this thread hasn't actually been blocked yet.

As someone who was at Crail many many years ago to see Union come off BR track and head to Lochty and then lucky enough to see her on her 1st run back on BR and also on numerous other times such as Haymarket, Perth, Grimsby and Aviemore I heartily agree with the last few supportive posts.

a) His property and being retired (so she's nearer to him?) to Colinsburgh area near Fife (actually will be fairly close to Lochty and Crail again)

b) I, and I suspect a number of the more sensible commenters, owe Mr J Cameron a great debt. I personally enjoyed seeing Union many times and would quite like to see her in her new home if and when open to the public.

c) Working 7/7 so unhappily won't make Doncaster.

HI

i was there as well when it came of the rails at Crail ,  I cant remember anything though as i was in my pram   .

Regards Arran

To be fair I wasn't in my pram but my baby sister was. 

My mother, who was dragged along by my now departed father, described it as scrap! 

Its long ago but I guess my father noted her as she passed my grandparents holiday home in Largo where we spent many days as youngsters. I doubt he would have got permission to drive the whole family over from Edinburgh. 

Probably explains my penchant for WPR too as the other 1/2 of the grandparents lived opposite the Wellesley pit. 

To Heydon and all the other keyboard warriors who are bad mouthing John

heres an invite

Get off your fat backsides and come to the Gresley Meeting in Doncaster next Sat  7/7

You might have the chance to show us just how big a man you are as there is a good chance of him being there

See you there........Thought not

So put up or  shut up please

It it free to non-members? If so I may pop over, however, the Gresley Soc has a partial history of not being particularly hospitable. They also don't understand that they only have the second best ex LNER 0-6-2!

VG was a good friend of my father and we were invited to the 'launch' of the K4 at Seven Valley in the summer of 1989 shortly before he died. He clearly said that the hoped that whoever took over the K4 he hoped it would be kept running as much as possible. As I said further up the thread if JC wants to take his bat home over No 9, it would be missed - but the K4 is something else.

One of my sisters is doing a large print of a colour photo of the N7, K4 and K1 at Neville Hill taken a few months before I was born. I can just about expect to ride behind two in the next twenty years, shame it won't be all three.

• Like 1

Bomag,

do you know i am not sure if non members can attend.

If getting to Donny is a 5min trip then perhaps turn up as a prospective member?

Like you, if push came to shove, i would sell my house to see the K4 still in steam.

Ahhh the N7. Travelled behind it more times than i care to remember

• RMweb Gold

How could you insert a clause preventing Mr Cameron from putting his loco in a museum? He already owns it-you can't attach conditions of sale retrospectively.

Shame both are going to be stuffed and mounted but tbh that's better than sitting in a siding unrestored for decades.

How could you insert a clause preventing Mr Cameron from putting his loco in a museum? He already owns it-you can't attach conditions of sale retrospectively.

Shame both are going to be stuffed and mounted but tbh that's better than sitting in a siding unrestored for decades.

Well VG did sell a small share of the K4 to a few people in the late 60's so it could not be used as an asset in his divorce settlement. Now if any of the paperwork is still in existence it could get interesting.  

I was on the 18 coach Scottish Grand Tour in March 1967 and later visited Lochty on at least a couple of occasions.

I later went to Aberdeen twice behind 60009 and met Mr Cameron on another occasion.

I personally think that sooner or later allsteam locos will have to be retired because the cost of maintaining them and declining interest as the generations pass not to mention technology being used on the mainline will make them incompatible

Putting them in a museum now is going a long way to ensuring their preservation for the future.

How many locos do you think we'll be able to maintain in future?And what will become fate of those unfortunate enough to drop out?

Incidentally there's a DVD of a well known Scottish Dance Band of yore playing at a New Year Party and JC can be seen doing a fair job at the dancing!

This topic is raising temperatures elsewhere on t'Interweb too - it's keeping moderators & admins very busy, with bans and suspensions being handed out to those who cannot comment appropriately...

There are now images of the proposed museum circulating too - it all looks very well thought out.

Scroll down on this page https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/60009.692045/page-20 to see for yourselves

• RMweb Gold

And let's face it, the NRM hasn't exactly covered itself in glory regarding some exhibits has it? Look at the 71, & the APT-P power car. The latter, to the best of my knowledge, has never been on public display.

And let's face it, the NRM hasn't exactly covered itself in glory regarding some exhibits has it? Look at the 71, & the APT-P power car. The latter, to the best of my knowledge, has never been on public display.

I thought all the APT-P power cars were now at Crewe so on public display (albeit the Coventry one in a poor condition). The NRM doesn't have another one does it?

They certainly did, whether they've passed it on I don't know. I've seen photos of it looking very poorly in storage at MoD Kineton (I think).

I don't think NRM ever had two power cars, only 49006. It was at Coventry until last year and now at Crewe. I read that is was saved as the last thing constructed at Derby loco works.

• RMweb Gold

60009 on the RAF 100 railtour today.

Not very often you see 60009 at the cross these days.

And a couple for which the day trip was about

Of note 66009 was inside 60009.

A class 90 day on mk4’s with a Short hop service to Newark.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Were the aircraft a show of force to get John Cameron to change his mind or to blow to top off gasworks tunnel should he decide to brick up the A4 in it Henry style!

Were the aircraft a show of force to get John Cameron to change his mind or to blow to top off gasworks tunnel should he decide to brick up the A4 in it Henry style!

Being the crabs they had probably got lost on their way to a cake and a**e party.