Catford - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix
41 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Sounds like you have a point TBH , I’ve never seen either in the flesh so I can’t comment .

got some Cambrian turbots in their bags awaiting work - I think I’ll be dead long before I get round to them !

It's been about 25 years since I last did, and my memory isn't what it was!

I do like Cambrian kits. I've never had a problem building them, it's getting around to painting them. And I usually seem to leave it long enough for someone to announce a RTR one anyway.

• Like 1

• Tempfix
10 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

They do look a bit garish out of the box but with a bit of weathering it certainly tones down nicely. 

Mark 

Completely agree. They'll get a weathering when I've done the couplings. I'm currently a bit torn between a couple more or a few Grampus to run with them. Of course Grampus are a different colour challenge altogether. I think they were actually painted with rust somehow.

As for the 73, I have all the bits to build a GLV (hopefully soon, I'm a bit DMU'd out at the moment). When that gets to the painting stage I'll strip the 73 down and do them together.

• 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

A little running session. Picked up a couple of Inter Frigo wagons from Kernow whilst on sale (half price!). Not exactly the same wagon type as those that used to appear on the train ferry, but not too dissimilar. Will need a bit of subtle weathering. Not sure how to approach this as haven't done anything white before. Manufacturer called Acme. Not come across before but very detailed models. On a trundle around behind 37407.

CA277.jpg.fea2182ff9d254b01987d76d3475a427.jpg

Also out of the box for a quick test tonight is a Heljan 58. This is the next thing heading for the workbench for a renumber and rename.

CA278.jpg.aa104e88d8682df7519002c604a54106.jpg

More soon hopefully.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening

A small update tonight. I have been adding greenery. Very slowly. Not my forte.

CA279.jpg.cd6bb689b66eba555f3552c23d3e498a.jpg

CA280.jpg.2bbdfda11d6425ad7abe18704c89d235.jpg

Getting better with the grass machine and with making some bought trees look a little less plastic, but things tend to look a bit too regular when I get near the greenery. I'm one of those that would cover most of the board surface with track I'm afraid.

More soon.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 11

• Tempfix
7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Like the street lights , whose brand are those please ?

Hello

From GM Model Supplies on Ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-HO-Gauge-Model-Lamp-Posts-LED-Street-Lights-Copper-Modern-Packs-of-10/114076567166?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 . Shop link here if the other has expired: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/GM-Model-Supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I really struggled to find any that I thought looked right for the 1980s. All those I could find were either very modern looking or very old fashioned gas light style. With these I slipped lower plastic bit off and sawed off the collar so I could fit it flush with the surface. I then painted them with Tamiya XF25 as it looks to my eye a good match to the grey-green colour I remember. They come with resistors to allow 12V DC connection, but I substituted for a 4.7k one to dim them a bit further.

With a five year old and a three year old pushing cars backwards and forwards underneath them them I'm looking for a fine balance between realism and durability!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Not much to update on the layout front, all needs a good tidy before the holidays. A couple of interesting sightings though.

In the picture below the area between the 47 and the main lines entering the tunnel has now been grassed. Needs to be a bit more overgrown yet, but I'm toying with the idea of a signal the other side of that small building and that would need to go in first.

CA281.jpg.1856c947b54071793ac68cfe9f327894.jpg

And a new (well, found in the loft) addition to the road. You know you were a Bristolian in the 90s when you've got whiplash from riding a Leyland Lynx on the number 1 up Park Street. About half way up the automatic gearbox would try and get into second, fail and drop back down almost immediately causing most aboard to head-butt the pole in front of them. I'm sure regular drivers must have needed one of those F1 style neck supports. A little out of area, but rule 1.

CA282.jpg.06898cf17bf6df968ae587809bc53ada.jpg

Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Park St: my definition of good bike gearing was if I could get up Park St without needing to stand on the pedals.  Never been up in a bus, but I can imagine!

Paul.

36 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Good Evening All

Not much to update on the layout front, all needs a good tidy before the holidays. A couple of interesting sightings though.

In the picture below the area between the 47 and the main lines entering the tunnel has now been grassed. Needs to be a bit more overgrown yet, but I'm toying with the idea of a signal the other side of that small building and that would need to go in first.

CA281.jpg.273c322cc488e4b5e8eaecb63c1ed600.jpg

And a new (well, found in the loft) addition to the road. You know you were a Bristolian in the 90s when you've got whiplash from riding a Leyland Lynx on the number 1 up Park Street. About half way up the automatic gearbox would try and get into second, fail and drop back down almost immediately causing most aboard to head-butt the pole in front of them. I'm sure regular drivers must have needed one of those F1 style neck supports. A little out of area, but rule 1.

CA282.jpg.84f390ae95d70c0ff6d1352e7c3a17d9.jpg

Stay safe folks.

Rich

Many a happy memory on a Lynx away from College Green up to Westbury to my grand parents on a 1, 2 or 3, I was also lucky (!) to sample the last year of the Leyland Nationals

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix
On 02/12/2020 at 20:13, 5BarVT said:

Ah, Park St: my definition of good bike gearing was if I could get up Park St without needing to stand on the pedals.  Never been up in a bus, but I can imagine!

Paul.

I once raced a friend in a car up it on a bike. I did win but I think traffic was a factor!

• Like 1

• Tempfix
On 02/12/2020 at 20:43, 37114 said:

Many a happy memory on a Lynx away from College Green up to Westbury to my grand parents on a 1, 2 or 3, I was also lucky (!) to sample the last year of the Leyland Nationals

I used to live in Clifton (sounds posh but some flats are VERY small - hence Oxford Road!), so I'd grab anything heading up Whiteladies Road. 1s were always good as they seemed quicker than the double deckers on the 43 and less inclined to detour around residential areas than the 8 or 9. I do miss Bristol - definitely the friendliest place I've ever lived.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Tempfix

Hello All

Just a quick one to wish everyone a Happy Christmas. Hope everyone is at least in contact with someone over the next few days to make the best of the end of a very strange year. For some reason Christmas around my layouts has always meant this:

CA283.jpg.7ea07d804bd59bf517417805a91c5cac.jpg

I'm not sure what prompted the purchase of the MEAs as they're more modern than anything else, but they always seem to make an appearance full of Smarties. Even nephews and nieces now in their late 20s want to see the Smartie train and now my two seem to have cottoned on to it as well, so out it comes. For my small people it has to be the Santa train at the GWSR. So grateful that they were able to run some this year - really hope they made some money out of it. Fantastic event, fantastic food, fantastic people.

Lets all hope that next year is a bit more friendly to everyone. Have a great Christmas folks.

CA284.jpg.72e01f4ebff90f78486151f9bbd34792.jpg

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All and Happy New Year,

A little update. Not much change to show on the layout over the break as Christmas in our house is all about the little people and acres of plastic junk (actually we've just moved into the Lego phase so I approve slightly more). Did get a major piece of organisation done though in labelling the Modellers Mecca stock boxes. Have a large number of these and none were labelled so had to go most of the way through the stack every time I needed anything. Been meaning to do it for about 10 years!

CA285.JPG.1ce458b16402cda4f168084147920129.JPG

Had a bit of a rat invasion too. This seasons home improvements meant the display case coming down from the wall so had to empty. These all belonged to my Dad, none DCC'd but tempted. One day one of them will go into RTC red as 97201.

CA286.jpg.eec2dc5572f75fbe659b7bee477b7b4b.jpg

A bit of running too. A view from the top of the embankment with a very clean looking 33119 on a collection of Grampus - two of which came fro Christmas. Really do need properly weathering (and the 33, and the 117 - quite a queue!). Need to find the Grampus some more spherical wheels too. The supplied ones seem to have been modelled on an easter egg.

CA287.jpg.c9f33dc8ca19e575fd33e402c506bc6b.jpg

New Years Resolutions: get more of the workbench pie sorted and get on with some more scenery. Green Scene order placed.

More soon hopefully.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening

A little running and a little tidying this evening. Having managed to move a few jobs off the workbench and persuaded the small people to put a few things away I actually had space to run a few things I wanted rather then the current favorites of my 3 year old daughter: a Hornby VIX van full of cows. They're going on holiday apparently.

In calmer times (after bedtime!) a quick glimpse of a 128 sneaking under the Beckford Road bridge. (Not at all sure these ever made it to Bath though.)

CA288.jpg.f10c9b3015dca9890b8889636835d56d.jpg

Meanwhile 205009 gets the right away.

CA289.jpg.400b9e9104b3a4eaeb74535badea0f24.jpg

Talking of  signals. I need a couple for the next area I want to do a bit of work on. I want to get on with the station on the upper level, but that means getting on with the background scenery first as it will be harder to access once I've got a platform canopy on the upper level and a DMU shed on the lower one between me and it. I built the multi-storey car park a while ago, and cut the wood for the building between it and the road, but still have a gap at the near end. There's not room for much other than a wall, but I'll need a signal gantry for the exit to the rear platform and siding. I had originally intended to model it on the one at the south end of Oxford station (can't find a picture now!) but I think it's just too big. I have some very old Eckon signals somewhere that may have salvageable heads so something bespoke might be called for. Need one for the front one too, but I think I need some sort of shunt indicator on it. Research needed.

CA290.jpg.2202fb06756e82e8095b31edeace2c76.jpg

Then there's just the small matter of third rail and a LOT of side protection boards. Needs some thinking about.

More soon hopefully. Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I reckon you also need a 3-D (or maybe half-relief) version of that tree in the backscene planted hard up against the near edge of the multi-storey, to disguise the lack of depth seen from this angle .....

• Agree 4

• Tempfix
On 22/01/2021 at 22:26, Chimer said:

I reckon you also need a 3-D (or maybe half-relief) version of that tree in the backscene planted hard up against the near edge of the multi-storey, to disguise the lack of depth seen from this angle .....

That is a good idea, thank you. I'm having a bit of an experiment now. Unfortunately don't seem to have any sea moss pieces big enough so am hacking half a damaged shop bought one about.

• Like 1

• Tempfix

A quick update. Following Chimer's excellent suggestion about disguising the depth of the car park I've been tinkering. After much foliage hacking I decided I didn't want a tree, and that the tree on the backscene wasn't really where I wanted it, so trying to disguise that too. Nothing painted yet, and still not 100% sure but..

CA292.jpg.8a72f69cc4b6f28243183a1ff50582a1.jpg

OK, I may have just moved the problem of having to disguise a thin building by using another thin building. Work in progress!

Has also recently occurred to me that I may want to light the car park.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Has also recently occurred to me that I may want to light the car park.

If you are going to light the car park, might you want to paint out the background houses? Are you tempted to slice some cars in half, to fill the car park up?

• Tempfix
2 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

If you are going to light the car park, might you want to paint out the background houses? Are you tempted to slice some cars in half, to fill the car park up?

Exactly my plan. I've been scouring the web for pictures inside car parks. Plan is to to print some out and stick them to a dark backing piece to give the illusion of more depth.

There are a few cars in there already - including an old Hornby Triumph and Sierra!

• Like 1

• Tempfix

Hello All

Update on the station area. Similar picture to the one above first:

CA293.jpg.3b746ca77b2a6aea1b88ec26580451e5.jpg

Fill in buildings have now been painted and a bit of weathering done, have also completed the concrete fence beyond to fill the gap. Ratio carriage cleaning platform is now complete and just about in the right place. The bent piece of cardboard at the end is to give a rough idea of size and location for signals - going to be a bit fiddly. For the platform on the right I think I need a starter with a shunt signal mounted to the post - but really not sure. Dropped some hints about Mr Paley's signalling book for birthday this week.

Looking the other way, buffers have now been attached. Have a rough idea what the station building will look like in my head - probably won't feature the 58 body on the roof. Area between the car park and road will be the side of a supermarket.

CA294.jpg.b56d230cae81d1197b71f88f04ab2d6c.jpg

Running this week has mostly been in the dark. Thing 1 has progressed with his understanding of the PowerCab enough to realise that all the DMUs have interior lights.

CA295.jpg.f45a5c0222a8696cdbb6fccdb0935369.jpg

More soon I hope.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 10

On 08/02/2021 at 22:11, Rich Papper said:

Running this week has mostly been in the dark. Thing 1 has progressed with his understanding of the PowerCab enough to realise that all the DMUs have interior lights.

Rich,

Are you running the PowerCab with a (5 amp) booster and if so which one? It's something I'm considering.

Ian

• Tempfix

Hi Ian

Sorry, I mean ProCab. I have a PowerCab on a small (1ftx12ft) exhibition layout and it has worked faultlessly for years, so I went with for the 5A NCE ProCab system for this layout. Both came from Digitrains (no connection etc.). When I took the plunge into DCC many years ago I went to their stand at Warley. They had all manner of systems set up and encouraged punters to have a play with everything to see what they liked while they talked you through it. I am a complete duffer with most things electronic, but I got on well with the PowerCab as the handset was a good size, buttons big enough and not too close together, and had different options for speed control (+/-1, +/-10 or thumb-wheel).

About 8 years later I found myself looking at a large home layout and decided to got for the ProCab as it's bigger brother. The handsets are externally identical (I can actually use the PowerCab as a second handset if required), but the control gubbins for the ProCab is in a separate box. Picture probably easier:

CA194.JPG.481100b2c0ecdcfba87fa66da36e42ea.JPG

I'm pretty sure the system I bought is this one here (although like most things prices have gone up). The big black box in the picture is the transformer - which one needs to buy separately. I'm not sure this is NCE specific, but was supplied to work with it. Output from this then goes to the box at the top of the picture, and then from there to a face plate on the control panel that the handset plugs into. The only extra from that is the circuit breaker (I think this one) - small circuit board top middle. This, annoyingly, in light of experience. I had an A4 derail on a set of points creating a short - smoke - blown sound chip - swearing etc. Again - duffer with electronics - learned the hard way, but have learned!

Worth noting this has enough kick to it to run a double track loop about 10ft by 15ft along with associated sidings etc. I don't have a lot of sound, but most stock does have lights, and increasingly adding interior lights to coaches, DMUs etc. Most points are electrofrog, this runs the frog juicers. Also all point control, (I think 25 points), all of which are controlled through DCC concepts decoders (similar to these, but  I think the design has been updated so they do their own 'frog juicing' now). Point motors are all SEEP ones like this

The other box in the picture is a Gaugemaster cased transformer that runs everything else - lights (although not fitted many yet), signals etc.

Hope this helps. I've probably said before in this thread - I probably only use about 10% of it's capability, but I'm learning. Other than liking the handset, I have no other particular affinity for NCE stuff - these two just happen to be the only ones I've ever had. They haven't failed so I haven't looked at other systems for a while.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Hi Ian

Sorry, I mean ProCab. I have a PowerCab on a small (1ftx12ft) exhibition layout and it has worked faultlessly for years, so I went with for the 5A NCE ProCab system for this layout.

Rich,

Thanks for the clarifications and links. Most informative. Like you I'm not much of an electrician but I've learned enough to be dangerous to understand the necessity of short circuit devices (SCD). Yes, the PowerCab has one built in, but that's not much use if you have several power districts (to keep most of it running if there's a short somewhere). I started with the PowerCab due to price and features, mostly the former. Now my layout is in its growing phase with 8 power districts, each will have its own SCD from MERG.

I 'think' I'll need a booster, but the PowerPro does seem expensive and sort of 'replaces' the PowerCab, even if they work together. There's only me, the operator, and I can already run several trains using the NCE to USB adapter and JMRI software on the laptop and/or Android phone, so having the PowerCab AND PowerPro would be a tad excessive.

I'll have to keep a lookout for a 'suitable' booster. At present I'm tempted by the MERG kit #59 booster. It's supposed to be compatible with the PowerCab?

Ian