Catford - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix
8 hours ago, sjrixon said:

That black 5 is really nice. And I totally agree about the smell of oil and motors, I've some 80s Hornby that were my Grandfathers, totally can still remember him when they are running. I've not chipped any, so unfortunately I only run them at my railway club, but they won't be going anywhere.

I've probably only chipped about a third of his collection. Usually with a budget decoder from Hattons or Rails picked up when on offer. I have a few who gained one that was unsuitable for something else - usually something that had a problem with a lighting function but the motor control still worked. Despite the age of everything I've only had to buy something specific for one installation - a 1980s Jouef TGV - because it was drawing way too much power for anything in the £10 budget range.

The only thing that has defeated me so far is an elderly Bachmann Lord Nelson. The motor seems to be completely encased in a metal block that is used as one of the electrical route of one of the pickups. Will figure it out one day if ever there's a space on the workbench.

Rich

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

Sorry, really not keeping up with this very well this year, all manner of reasons (all boring), but we're getting into the season so hopefully get a bit more done.

Lets start with some new arrivals. First up is this excellent creation from Revolution.

CA340.jpg.2718a5df44a43f5b0bccd4754962b8da.jpg

Love it, something I've wanted for years, but cannot for the life of me get the lights to work. I've read through the thread on it, tried everyone's recommendations, still nowhere. Has received a light weathering so it could appear at the Stafford show on Oxford Road, but without the lights I felt a bit daft running it.

The Accurascale Siphon has been weathered and taken it's place in a parcels rake. Need to give the couplings some more thought. The rest of the rake uses Hunt couplings, but this chap doesn't like them. There are only a couple of pinch points, but need to find a better solution. Don't mind leaving it with tension locks and putting it on the end of the rake, but will find a way of fitting shorter ones if so.

CA341.jpg.9fbdf57255f61158319451974c7244c8.jpg

And then finally the long awaited Cookham Manor. Very long time since I've bought a new steamy, but this is the first one I remember as a kid at Didcot Railway Centre going up and down the demo line, and going back with my son more years later than I care to think (place hasn't changed one bit), he has been in the cab - so had to be this one.

CA342.jpg.b306cc48dadf4e392bac6cd96665e4f1.jpg

Runs beautifully. Will get a video at some point. Being a GWSR member I also considered Dinmore Manor, but the black is a bit boring and having re-acquired a black 5 this year I don't really have the space for another 4-6-0.

One reason progress has been a little slow on here is because Thing 1 has been working on his first layout. Started when he was 7 (he's just turned 8), so far it is a gluey pile of plywood, styrofoam and cardboard - but I think he may be on to something. If all goes to plan it will be a small shunting puzzle style thing. Trying to keep him to a budget by making or reusing all we can. He's been painting a canal this evening. May start him a thread...

Stay safe.

Rich

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Happy Christmas All!

Have a good break, look after each other, don't eat too much.

Rich

CA349.jpg.7a40d82df3f3f132a2f8023b19b38943.jpg

A perfect Christmas Card!

Merry Christmas! And I've been practicing on the eating too much in the run up to the big day :) Have a great one!

Will

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix
On 24/12/2023 at 22:31, dj_crisp said:

A perfect Christmas Card!

Merry Christmas! And I've been practicing on the eating too much in the run up to the big day :) Have a great one!

Will

Thanks Will. I'm still in that club to be honest. As we broke up for holidays so close to Christmas we seem to have overdone some of the treat shopping. Going to still be eating mince pies at Easter!

• Like 1

• Tempfix

Good Evening All,

A couple of new bits of rolling stock getting a run out tonight. First up a very nice Bachmann 4-CEP from Santa. Not sure for my chosen timescale that it needs the high intensity headlight, but will live with it for now. I did note that it comes with spare doors so can easily modify one of them to lose it and see if I can do it neatly enough. I think my 4-TC also had spare doors without a light but not sure they're quite the same shape. Far away from southern territory here!

CA350.jpg.3e8b1d7475c6000ef897d8d5bd9a13d9.jpg

Unsurprisingly it runs very well with the Bachmann MLV.

CA351.jpg.5cbac1a57d50506376e78bb7b144eed8.jpg

Then not to be outdone, Thing 1 managed to consist it with the Hornby 4-VEP. Very different level of engineering between the two, but he did get them running smoothly (his excuse was that they both say Kent Coast on the badge - he has a point). Besides some cab front surgery I really would like to re-motor the VEP. If I found a cheap MLV I'd be tempted to use the innards of that. Then all I'd need to do is repaint the cantrail line, replace the corridor partitions, get some interior lighting in...

CA352.jpg.239d063bd7423e1f1ec6f0bafa4fccce.jpg

Final new thing, a present from Thing 2, a Rapido Squid. Beautifully detailed, but two things slightly baffle me. The paintwork doesn't seem to match the Rapido VIX van. As far as I know these are the only two items they've released in this colour scheme - I assume there's a reason why they don't. Not overly bothered, they'll get weathered anyway. Second - the wheels. I think they are cast. It runs very smoothly but the wheel / rail noise is bizarrely loud compared to everything else the same size. 

CA353.jpg.e397839e2ae93cf137953fc2954f6b4b.jpg

Really do need to make some layout progress soon, but all focus is on the new one at the moment. Might get some inspiration at the Weston Super Mare show this weekend.

Look after yourselves.

Rich

• Like 4