An un-named layout with a nod to CJ Freezer !

andi4x4

So, I thought it was about time I posted up something about my 00 gauge layout. Its a bit of a ramble, but, bear with me !

I needed somewhere to 'run trains'. I am not so much a railway modeller, I do not really have much more than a passing interest in the prototype railways (although I do my research when neccissary !), but I do enjoy running, modifying and generally 'playing trains' and have done so in gauges N, 00, O, 16mm Scale live steam and even 5" gauge on various occasions over the last 30 years or so.

The initial idea for my current layout was to provide just that – somewhere on which to run my loco and rolling stock collection. At first conception there were no plans for scenery other than a station (trains have to have a reason to run don't they !), so, the plan was to simply lay some track onto baseboards with underlay and track pins and to include a station in the track plan. However, despite having a space 12'x6' to use freely as I see fit, this space is also used by me as a music room, so, any layout would have to take this sharing of space into account. Also in this room, is a 6'x3' workbench (originally built for an N gauge layout that never happened !) which I use for various other modelling projects (slotcars and R/C vehicles) and the occasional guitar related projects also. This room is also, very occasionally, used as a guest room, so everything needs to be packed away on these rare occasions.

So, with all the above in mind, I came up with a list of desired qualities that this layout would need to fullfill -

1. It must be modular to allow it to be packed away when required.

2. It must be quick to assemble and disassemble – overcentre catches and dowels with minimum number of wires across board joints and tressels/legs which can be set up quickly and require the minimum of storage space when not in use.

3. It must provide continuous running – I like to sometimes just sit and watch the trains go by !

4. It must provide scope for expansion – extra or different modules may be desired at a later date should I feel the need to expand with goods and/or loco facilities.

5. It needed to be wired for DCC as I have recently caught the sound bug !

6. It needs to be capable of being set up anywhere, including directly on the floor if needed, so all board connections, fittings and cabling needs to exit the sides of the boards for easy access when on a flat surface.

Having had a 00 layout in this same room before (it was dismantled, partly due to a lack of use, and partly due to the Domestic Dragon insisting that my guitar collection had outgrown the living room. In fact, probably mainly that !) I started reviewing all the layout plans I had made (and saved) in the past in AnyRail with a view to maybe slimlining something I had previously designed. During this, I stumbled across a set of plans I had saved for The Minories by C.J. Freezer. (I am sure most of you are familiar with them, so I won't replicate them again here). These plans got me thinking – CJF designed this layout to be modular in form, allowing the builder to build a model railway up over time, to fit the space available to the builder, by building one scenic board, then adding another, and another, etc, if they so wished. It was also designed such that any board that had two plain tracks at the edge could connect to any of the other boards with two plain tracks at the edge – in any order ! This meant that you could change the layout of the railway, simply by swapping the boards around. Whether, or not, this was intentionally planned into his design, or if it occurred by coincidence, I do not know, but, this was the point at which I had a 'EURIKA' moment ! I thought that, if I designed my railway in this manner, it would be much quicker to assemble/disassemble, and universally modular, meaning that I could set it up almost anywhere in the house by changing the order in which boards were connected, or even ommitting boards to reduce its size where needed.

With all this in mind, I set about planning something, initially using The Minories track plan, and thinking that two station boards (one a mirror image of the other) back to back would provide a three platform through station on one side of what is, basically, a 12x6 double track oval, with a pair of passing loops and crossovers on the opposite side. Anyway, a lot of messing about later I finished up with my current track plan -

546538361_12x6simplemodule-CURRENTLAYOUT-06-01-16.jpg.82b7fdd8126f7c193f86569affe94761.jpg

On the plan above, each individual board is marked out by the orange lines – the two boards at the centre of the station and storage/passing loops are specific to these locations and the throat boards of each will connect together with its opposite end without the centre boards to provide a shorter station and storage/passing loop area, but, all the other boards with two plain tracks at the connecting edge are interchangeable and can be connected together in any order and any orientation – just like pieces of Set-Track - allowing me to reduce the track plan to nothing more than a simple 4'x4' circle of double track, or any combination of 4'x5'6” , 4'x10' , 4'x12' , 4'x13'6” , 6'x10' or 6'x12' oval, or I can even set them up as an 'end to end' type configuration, either straight, or, in an 'L' , 'U' , or 'S' format. Plus, of course, I can add other boards at a later date – I already have two in the planning stage !

1484240309_AlternativeContinuousRunLayouts.jpg.20e5c720664791a3322dc709729b6b99.jpg

537864922_Alternativeend2endLayouts.jpg.160c66913327cb0345b87f3ebe5ea07a.jpg

A couple of the 'extra' boards I have in my minds eye at the moment. Where they will go is anyones guess !

1090158161_GoodsandTMDmodules.jpg.eacc45116b0040a8d0d04fb5705b177b.jpg

Track standards are to Hornby/Peco Set-Track specifications, primarily due to having a large amount of it available (although, the loco depot above uses Streamline points and a double slip off the mainline), and, in order to maximise the space for the station and storage/passing loops, allowed me to use tighter R3 and R4 curves at the corners – with a minimum R2 curve on the points. I am, however, considering a swap to Peco Streamline in the storage area to enable extra tracks to be laid in the existing space.

So where are we at now, then ?

Well, the baseboards are built, temporary legs (and the workbench) are supporting them, track and underlay laid, fully wired for DCC using a single track and accessory bus (may change later to split track and accessory buses), boards are dowelled for alignment, overcentre catches are fitted to the outer sides of each board and the electrical connections are also through the outer sides of each board.

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.9eb56955ffcd8c77c44f63fa967225ae.JPG

IMG_0684.thumb.JPG.e973bd5da7bb73611820716687702c9b.JPG

Baseboard construction is of 9mm MDF tops crossbraced with 2”x1” pine with 4mm ply sides which protrude 20mm above the board surface to catch any errant locos or stock before they take a dive off the edge !

Work on the station platforms has commenced, and there is a retaining wall/viaduct/backscene along the back edge of the station boards where the single track sits along the edge of the baseboard. This is made up of a number of Scalescenes kits, joined together, and fixed to 2mm ply for rigidity. It is in three sections, sized to match the three individual station boards so that if the centre board is not used, the centre section of the backscene will also be omitted. I was careful to resize the arches very slightly to ensure that they fitted the centre board without needing any infill, then the two outer boards were made to match, with just a short section of plain walling at the outermost ends. The backscenes are attached to the baseboards with nothing more than bulldog clips at present, but, another means of fixing is needed in the event that the baseboards are sat on a flat surface. The backscene boards currently slide down onto the top of the 20mm sidewall of the baseboards, but, I am considering trimming the baseboard sidewall down flush with the baseboard top as the arches sit too high and don't match up with the bridge. I could always make up a low, 20mm sidewall to attach in the same manner as the retaining wall for those odd occasions that it is needed.

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.9eb8678c5ccb80607a5d9343d4395686.JPG

There are plans to build a number of bridges to help provide a means of concealing some of the joints, and provide both a scenic break and add a little scenic interest. One has been built so far (still a little work to do), and is designed to 'slot over' the outer edge of the baseboards at the board joints. Nothing holds the bridges in place other than friction, and the intention is that they can be fitted over any joint, randomly. You may see in the second picture down that the inner wall of the bridge sits on top of and flush with the sidewall of the baseboard, which will be covered with brick paper eventually.

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.18b3b15a2eae236751e28e23a16e0a5f.JPG

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.ad483ad1bee3c675e82a1269d58f4b27.JPG

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.f773907da0cbf9ea523a4ac80c24466f.JPG

But, it has no name ! Where is it based on ? Who knows ! I guess it's just some forgotten industrial town, somewhere where all the regions cross paths, somewhere approaching the end of steam ! All I can tell you is that it sees a lot of very varied, and often heavy, traffic - there is a plethora of BR Green period steam and diesel locos and rolling stock from mainly Western, Midland and Eastern regions passing through here with both passenger and freight services on a regular basis, and the occasional appearance of the odd couple of locos which seem to have managed to retain their pre-war 'Big Four' liveries ! It's a very run down and neglected line, and, despite the heavy traffic, there have been rumors for many years that the line is to close. However, it continues to plod on regardless, but the staff have lost their pride and enthusiasm, and it shows in the surroundings.

More updates when there's been something done !

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 16

So, I thought it was about time I posted up something about my 00 gauge layout. Its a bit of a ramble, but, bear with me !

I needed somewhere to 'run trains'. I am not so much a railway modeller, I do not really have much more than a passing interest in the prototype railways (although I do my research when neccissary !), but I do enjoy running, modifying and generally 'playing trains' and have done so in gauges N, 00, O, 16mm Scale live steam and even 5" gauge on various occasions over the last 30 years or so.

The initial idea for my current layout was to provide just that – somewhere on which to run my loco and rolling stock collection. At first conception there were no plans for scenery other than a station (trains have to have a reason to run don't they !), so, the plan was to simply lay some track onto baseboards with underlay and track pins and to include a station in the track plan. However, despite having a space 12'x6' to use freely as I see fit, this space is also used by me as a music room, so, any layout would have to take this sharing of space into account. Also in this room, is a 6'x3' workbench (originally built for an N gauge layout that never happened !) which I use for various other modelling projects (slotcars and R/C vehicles) and the occasional guitar related projects also. This room is also, very occasionally, used as a guest room, so everything needs to be packed away on these rare occasions.

So, with all the above in mind, I came up with a list of desired qualities that this layout would need to fullfill -

2. It must be quick to assemble and disassemble – overcentre catches and dowels with minimum number of wires across board joints and tressels/legs which can be set up quickly and require the minimum of storage space when not in use.

3. It must provide continuous running – I like to sometimes just sit and watch the trains go by !

4. It must provide scope for expansion – extra or different modules may be desired at a later date should I feel the need to expand with goods and/or loco facilities.

6. It needs to be capable of being set up anywhere, including directly on the floor if needed, so all board connections, fittings and cabling needs to exit the sides of the boards for easy access when on a flat surface.

Having had a 00 layout in this same room before (it was dismantled, partly due to a lack of use, and partly due to the Domestic Dragon insisting that my guitar collection had outgrown the living room. In fact, probably mainly that !) I started reviewing all the layout plans I had made (and saved) in the past in AnyRail with a view to maybe slimlining something I had previously designed. During this, I stumbled across a set of plans I had saved for The Minories by C.J. Freezer. (I am sure most of you are familiar with them, so I won't replicate them again here). These plans got me thinking – CJF designed this layout to be modular in form, allowing the builder to build a model railway up over time, to fit the space available to the builder, by building one scenic board, then adding another, and another, etc, if they so wished. It was also designed such that any board that had two plain tracks at the edge could connect to any of the other boards with two plain tracks at the edge – in any order ! This meant that you could change the layout of the railway, simply by swapping the boards around. Whether, or not, this was intentionally planned into his design, or if it occurred by coincidence, I do not know, but, this was the point at which I had a 'EURIKA' moment ! I thought that, if I designed my railway in this manner, it would be much quicker to assemble/disassemble, and universally modular, meaning that I could set it up almost anywhere in the house by changing the order in which boards were connected, or even ommitting boards to reduce its size where needed.

With all this in mind, I set about planning something, initially using The Minories track plan, and thinking that two station boards (one a mirror image of the other) back to back would provide a three platform through station on one side of what is, basically, a 12x6 double track oval, with a pair of passing loops and crossovers on the opposite side. Anyway, a lot of messing about later I finished up with my current track plan -

attachicon.gif12x6 simple module-CURRENT LAYOUT-06-01-16.jpg

On the plan above, each individual board is marked out by the orange lines – the two boards at the centre of the station and storage/passing loops are specific to these locations and the throat boards of each will connect together with its opposite end without the centre boards to provide a shorter station and storage/passing loop area, but, all the other boards with two plain tracks at the connecting edge are interchangeable and can be connected together in any order and any orientation – just like pieces of Set-Track - allowing me to reduce the track plan to nothing more than a simple 4'x4' circle of double track, or any combination of 4'x5'6” , 4'x10' , 4'x12' , 4'x13'6” , 6'x10' or 6'x12' oval, or I can even set them up as an 'end to end' type configuration, either straight, or, in an 'L' , 'U' , or 'S' format. Plus, of course, I can add other boards at a later date – I already have two in the planning stage !

attachicon.gifAlternative Continuous Run Layouts.jpg

attachicon.gifAlternative end2end Layouts.jpg

A couple of the 'extra' boards I have in my minds eye at the moment. Where they will go is anyones guess !

attachicon.gifGoods and TMD modules.jpg

Track standards are to Hornby/Peco Set-Track specifications, primarily due to having a large amount of it available (although, the loco depot above uses Streamline points and a double slip off the mainline), and, in order to maximise the space for the station and storage/passing loops, allowed me to use tighter R3 and R4 curves at the corners – with a minimum R2 curve on the points. I am, however, considering a swap to Peco Streamline in the storage area to enable extra tracks to be laid in the existing space.

Well, the baseboards are built, temporary legs (and the workbench) are supporting them, track and underlay laid, fully wired for DCC using a single track and accessory bus (may change later to split track and accessory buses), boards are dowelled for alignment, overcentre catches are fitted to the outer sides of each board and the electrical connections are also through the outer sides of each board.

attachicon.gifIMG_0681.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0684.JPG

Baseboard construction is of 9mm MDF tops crossbraced with 2”x1” pine with 4mm ply sides which protrude 20mm above the board surface to catch any errant locos or stock before they take a dive off the edge !

Work on the station platforms has commenced, and there is a retaining wall/viaduct/backscene along the back edge of the station boards where the single track sits along the edge of the baseboard. This is made up of a number of Scalescenes kits, joined together, and fixed to 2mm ply for rigidity. It is in three sections, sized to match the three individual station boards so that if the centre board is not used, the centre section of the backscene will also be omitted. I was careful to resize the arches very slightly to ensure that they fitted the centre board without needing any infill, then the two outer boards were made to match, with just a short section of plain walling at the outermost ends. The backscenes are attached to the baseboards with nothing more than bulldog clips at present, but, another means of fixing is needed in the event that the baseboards are sat on a flat surface. The backscene boards currently slide down onto the top of the 20mm sidewall of the baseboards, but, I am considering trimming the baseboard sidewall down flush with the baseboard top as the arches sit too high and don't match up with the bridge. I could always make up a low, 20mm sidewall to attach in the same manner as the retaining wall for those odd occasions that it is needed.

attachicon.gifIMG_0680.JPG

There are plans to build a number of bridges to help provide a means of concealing some of the joints, and provide both a scenic break and add a little scenic interest. One has been built so far (still a little work to do), and is designed to 'slot over' the outer edge of the baseboards at the board joints. Nothing holds the bridges in place other than friction, and the intention is that they can be fitted over any joint, randomly. You may see in the second picture down that the inner wall of the bridge sits on top of and flush with the sidewall of the baseboard, which will be covered with brick paper eventually.

attachicon.gifIMG_0678.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0679.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0677.JPG

But, it has no name ! Where is it based on ? Who knows ! I guess it's just some forgotten industrial town, somewhere where all the regions cross paths, somewhere approaching the end of steam ! All I can tell you is that it sees a lot of very varied, and often heavy, traffic - there is a plethora of BR Green period steam and diesel locos and rolling stock from mainly Western, Midland and Eastern regions passing through here with both passenger and freight services on a regular basis, and the occasional appearance of the odd couple of locos which seem to have managed to retain their pre-war 'Big Four' liveries ! It's a very run down and neglected line, and, despite the heavy traffic, there have been rumors for many years that the line is to close. However, it continues to plod on regardless, but the staff have lost their pride and enthusiasm, and it shows in the surroundings.

Sounds a bit like the later years of the Great Central London Extension to me, possibly south of Leicester but north of Woodford.  You could even have the occasional rake of green  Southern Region coaches too (representing the York-Bournemouth service), though by the time it got this far not (usually) SR locos.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like the later years of the Great Central London Extension to me, possibly south of Leicester but north of Woodford.  You could even have the occasional rake of green  Southern Region coaches too (representing the York-Bournemouth service), though by the time it got this far not (usually) SR locos.

Hi Willie,

I think you are onto something there - I grabbed a quick look at a map of the BR regions as formed in 1948 ( I assume they remained unchanged until after the period I favor) and I wasn't too far away from your suggestion - I had in mind just a little further north east somewhere in the Coventry-Oxford-Watford triangle !  I hadn't figured on Southern region being a factor as I don't own any SR stock, but, it certainly opens up opportunities for further future acquisitions !

Hi Willie,

I think you are onto something there - I grabbed a quick look at a map of the BR regions as formed in 1948 ( I assume they remained unchanged until after the period I favor) and I wasn't too far away from your suggestion - I had in mind just a little further north east somewhere in the Coventry-Oxford-Watford triangle !  I hadn't figured on Southern region being a factor as I don't own any SR stock, but, it certainly opens up opportunities for further future acquisitions !

The London Extension was a bit of an oddity in 'Regional' terms, being primarily in Eastern "ownership" but lying somewhat to the west of their nominal boundary and with some sections in London Midland and even Western "ownership".  There were revisions in about 1950 and again in 1958, the latter being the point at which everything south of about half-way between Sheffield and Nottingham and north of the Home Counties passed into LMR "ownership", and from that point an increasing number of ex-LMS locos and rolling stock began gradually to appear as the ER took back its own kit.  So a good period to be modelling a bit of almost everything, with complete realism!

GC fans will tell you this was the point at which a deliberate run-down of services began, culminating in closure of most of the route by the mid-60's.  This was officially presented at the time as a matter of business economics, but there are - shall we say - strong and lasting suspicions that a certain amount of settling of old scores was also a factor; the GCLE had been a thorn in the side of what we now call the Midland Main Line ever since it opened, and if there was in fact a reduced level of traffic available by the late 50s the Midland management made darned sure their route would get it, using all sorts of dirty tricks and bogus statistics, even though much of the GC infrastructure was better and more modern.

Very sad really, because had the GC only lasted another 10 years or so it'd have been seen as a natural route for feeder trains to the Channel Tunnel (part of the original objective in building the line in the first place!), and today we wouldn't now be needing to worry about all this HS2 stuff.

Edited by Willie Whizz

Hi Willie,

More great info there !  As I said, my general knowledge of the railways is really very limited, I tend to be far more interested in the locos and rolling stock more than the railways themselves which is the reason why I have such a varied mix of stuff ! I said previously that i was only really building somewhere to run my collection, rather than trying to model a particular location, hence the very basic design of the layout ( other than the complex baseboard arrangement ! ) but it is really nice to know that there is someplace, somewhere in time, where it would have been feasible for all my locos to have appeared and not looked out of place ! It will spur me on to think more about the extra parts of the layout I have in mind as later add-ons !

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif12x6 simple module-CURRENT LAYOUT-06-01-16.jpg

attachicon.gifAlternative Continuous Run Layouts.jpg

attachicon.gifAlternative end2end Layouts.jpg

attachicon.gifGoods and TMD modules.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0681.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0684.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0680.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0678.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0679.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0677.JPG

Andi, I really like your idea of putting two Minories termini back-to-back to form a through station. I've never seen that done before.

Just a couple of observations on your "extra" boards.

First, I suggest making the loco shed a mirror image of what you have drawn, and making the double slip a single slip. This will remove the direct facing entry from the (right to left) main line which would not normally be found on the prototype.

Secondly, your goods shed will be nigh-on impossible to shunt. I suggest removing the middle of the three sidings on the right and putting the goods shed on one of the two remaining sidings. I think I would also move the two main line crossovers as close as possible to the ends of the board to give you the maximum possible length for running round. This might also let you extend the length of the sidings a little.

On 13/01/2017 at 07:23, St Enodoc said:

First, I suggest making the loco shed a mirror image of what you have drawn, and making the double slip a single slip. This will remove the direct facing entry from the (right to left) main line which would not normally be found on the prototype.

Secondly, your goods shed will be nigh-on impossible to shunt. I suggest removing the middle of the three sidings on the right and putting the goods shed on one of the two remaining sidings. I think I would also move the two main line crossovers as close as possible to the ends of the board to give you the maximum possible length for running round. This might also let you extend the length of the sidings a little.

Is this what you had in mind for the Loco depot ?  I flipped the main part of the depot, but, left the mainline and crossover arrangement as-is, other than to change the double slip out for a single slip as you suggested. Loco's would now arrive at a staging siding before moving back to the turntable.

693782229_GoodsModule2.jpg.768a8bc20518e5601962965d2698e0dd.jpg

As for the goods yard, I am having trouble with that just purely because the board size as it is (5'x1'6") is just too small to accommodate both a reasonable  goods yard and the double main line running through. The initial idea with both the goods yard and the loco depot was to be able to use the main through lines (shown in blue) as sidings/approach/run-around loops when they are not connected up as running lines, but, instead being fed as a spur off the main part of the layout - as below -

Untitled.jpg.f1d1f497a85273541c3d29851c7e747e.jpg

I will keep plodding on with it - I am sure I will come up with a solution sooner or later ! Either that or I'll go back to CJF's original goods yard drawings ! I have ideas for other modules, too, but, more on them when they have progressed further.

443727601_12x96simplemoduleKIDNEY-2withTMDGoods.jpg.c238637a200bcb8d77f79f4ae0a4bcaf.jpg

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Is this what you had in mind for the Loco depot ?  I flipped the main part of the depot, but, left the mainline and crossover arrangement as-is, other than to change the double slip out for a single slip as you suggested. Loco's would now arrive at a staging siding before moving back to the turntable.

attachicon.gifGoods Module 2.jpg

As for the goods yard, I am having trouble with that just purely because the board size as it is (5'x1'6") is just too small to accommodate both a reasonable  goods yard and the double main line running through. The initial idea with both the goods yard and the loco depot was to be able to use the main through lines (shown in blue) as sidings/approach/run-around loops when they are not connected up as running lines, but, instead being fed as a spur off the main part of the layout - as below -

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

attachicon.gif12x9'6 simple module KIDNEY-2 with TMD + Goods.jpg

I will keep plodding on with it - I am sure I will come up with a solution sooner or later ! Either that or I'll go back to CJF's original goods yard drawings ! I have ideas for other modules, too, but, more on them when they have progressed further.

The loco shed looks much better like that but now that you have shown where it is located in relation to the station, I would suggest a further change. Flip the single slip so that it forms a crossover between the main lines but only has a connection between the upper main line and the shed. Then add a crossover facing the other way between the siding next to the shed and the lower main line. If you are worried about losing the use of the siding you could put in another next to the turntable.

Locos would get to the shed by running out from the station on the lower main line and reversing into the shed. They would leave the the shed by running out straight across the single slip towards the station on the upper main line.

By doing this you will eliminate all the facing connections on the main lines on this module, which is highly desirable from a prototype point of view.

Hope this makes sense. If not I'll do a pencil sketch.

The goods yard also looks much better but I still think that when you set it out you will find the coal siding almost impossible to use as to get in and out of it the lower right siding will need to be empty.

Think I get where you're coming from. I think understand the basic principles and associated problems of facing/trailing points on mainlines.

Two plans below show the modifications I think you were suggesting to the loco depot - I modified the plans in both orientations - to be fair, from a construction point of view, one is no more difficult to produce than the other - the cost would be slightly higher (£10-£15 maybe) on one as it requires a single slip and extra point motor, but that is neither here nor there in the total cost of the module, really.

I think my preference out of the two would be for the first plan - it just seems less cluttered and simpler than the second.

351886377_LocoDepotModule3.jpg.ae4a0f986ac63edffd86e3ccc95b6397.jpg

1408864437_LocoDepotModule4.jpg.c91f91e46818b21e23d952c20cff7717.jpg

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Think I get where you're coming from. I think understand the basic principles and associated problems of facing/trailing points on mainlines.

Two plans below show the modifications I think you were suggesting to the loco depot - I modified the plans in both orientations - to be fair, from a construction point of view, one is no more difficult to produce than the other - the cost would be slightly higher (£10-£15 maybe) on one as it requires a single slip and extra point motor, but that is neither here nor there in the total cost of the module, really.

I think my preference out of the two would be for the first plan - it just seems less cluttered and simpler than the second.

attachicon.gifLoco Depot Module 3.jpg

attachicon.gifLoco Depot Module 4.jpg

Andi, I agree that the first plan looks neater than the second. It would work perfectly well as you have drawn it with the diamond crossing rather than the single slip, which would save you two point motors!

Glad to be of help.

So,

One thing I have learned in the last week or so is that I spend FAR too much time thinking and playing around with AnyRail and not enough time making !   As such, the plans have changed !

To this :-

200113494_12x6simplemodule-8x4scenic4-20-01-17.jpg.8a5b73e40395b3a9829482ade8b1ad84.jpg

Whilst the previous modular loco depot design is pretty much finalised, I was struggling to get a decent goods yard into the design, mainly due to the length of board I needed to restrict myself to, and partly due to the desire to have running lines through the board as well. 

So the new plan will be a bit of both the original modular project and a semi-permanent shelf/shunting layout.  The red section will remain in situ for most of its life and will have the option of a small (off-scene) fiddle yard for use as a stand alone layout, but, will also have the option to link up with the modular section in some form or another. I have shown a 'Link' track on the plan running from the goods area around to one of the loco spurs on the storage/fiddle boards, but, this is by no means set in stone.

You will notice, also, that the station has been changed. It no longer has 'mirror image' end sections, instead, I have replaced the points on the left hand board with plain double track, installed a trailing crossover further along, and terminated the 'one-way' loop which originally ran across the top of the station plan. I now have a bay platform here instead, which will increase operational interest a little, both when being used as just the double track oval, and when connected to the semi permanent section.

Over the upper left hand curved board and that end of the station will be a partial town scene with the station building directly above and spanning the tracks and it is also planned to have an overall canopy spanning both main lines and platforms from the station building as far along as the end of the bay platform (to try to hide the reverse curves !) and then single canopies over each platform for a further 9-12 inches maybe.

Track and platform mods have already been done on the station boards, although, nothing is fixed down as yet. I am currently considering options for the overall canopy roof (probably a modified Scalescenes jobbie) and figuring out how the passengers are going to get down to platform level from the upper street level ! Station building will be Scalescenes R005 Large Station Building, possibly modified. Building mock ups of the station building, overall canopy and parcels offices at the mo to have a play around with.

Will put up a couple of photos in the next day or so to give you a better idea of the town scene/station, street level and canopy, hopefully !

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 2

So,

One thing I have learned in the last week or so is that I spend FAR too much time thinking and playing around with AnyRail and not enough time making !   As such, the plans have changed !

To this :-

attachicon.gif12x6 simple module-8x4scenic4-20-01-17.jpg

Whilst the previous modular loco depot design is pretty much finalised, I was struggling to get a decent goods yard into the design, mainly due to the length of board I needed to restrict myself to, and partly due to the desire to have running lines through the board as well. 

So the new plan will be a bit of both the original modular project and a semi-permanent shelf/shunting layout.  The red section will remain in situ for most of its life and will have the option of a small (off-scene) fiddle yard for use as a stand alone layout, but, will also have the option to link up with the modular section in some form or another. I have shown a 'Link' track on the plan running from the goods area around to one of the loco spurs on the storage/fiddle boards, but, this is by no means set in stone.

You will notice, also, that the station has been changed. It no longer has 'mirror image' end sections, instead, I have replaced the points on the left hand board with plain double track, installed a trailing crossover further along, and terminated the 'one-way' loop which originally ran across the top of the station plan. I now have a bay platform here instead, which will increase operational interest a little, both when being used as just the double track oval, and when connected to the semi permanent section.

Over the upper left hand curved board and that end of the station will be a partial town scene with the station building directly above and spanning the tracks and it is also planned to have an overall canopy spanning both main lines and platforms from the station building as far along as the end of the bay platform (to try to hide the reverse curves !) and then single canopies over each platform for a further 9-12 inches maybe.

Track and platform mods have already been done on the station boards, although, nothing is fixed down as yet. I am currently considering options for the overall canopy roof (probably a modified Scalescenes jobbie) and figuring out how the passengers are going to get down to platform level from the upper street level ! Station building will be Scalescenes R005 Large Station Building, possibly modified. Building mock ups of the station building, overall canopy and parcels offices at the mo to have a play around with.

Will put up a couple of photos in the next day or so to give you a better idea of the town scene/station, street level and canopy, hopefully !

Looks like some very good and serious planning Andi. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics, just a thought re the Goods Yard, will you be able to reach it for un-coupling etc.?

Looks like some very good and serious planning Andi. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics, just a thought re the Goods Yard, will you be able to reach it for un-coupling etc.?

Good point, Andy !  :scratchhead:

It will be just under 3 feet wide in all, which I can reach across ok ,on my workbench, anyway. How I will fare on the goods yard will depend how tall the station building and canopy turn out to be !  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 

The station and town area will be removable for access to the track below, and I have a step-stool just in case !   :good:

I am planning on some form of auto-uncoupling, but haven't decided which as yet, and the majority of the uncoupling will probably be happening on the near side of the goods yard anyhow, as that is where the sheds will be.

• Like 1

Well,

Been playing with cardboard , some sticky stuff and a nasty sharp thing and came up with this as a rough impression of what I am trying to achieve - 

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.43911e9fb215aa378f0b57be4f998137.JPG

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.0d8d37f5b7efe9a753dd0b1cb713f422.JPG

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.f9ebdc5fbbbc6f5146eb2423eec25536.JPG

Not sure about exit from the station building - what I have set up at the moment is a set of steps down onto a small concourse/footbridge, then down to platform level via a set of modified steps from the Scalescenes foot bridge.

I have a tunnel mouth under the station building, but, I am also considering the possibility of using a girder instead - I don't think I can get the street level down low enough to match the viaduct that will run across the left hand end of the new goods yard board with the tunnel mouth in place.

I will be reducing the height of the overall roof by 10mm from where it is at the mo, and, the street level needs to come down 20mm to mate up with the goods yard viaduct. The Scalescenes footbridge steps will not have the roof fitted - the sidewalls of the step assemblies will have the walls cut down to just below the bottom of the windows. The span of the footbridge has printed steel sides, so, I'll probably use those to form the sides of the concourse/footbridge - again open, with no roof. The Main station building will be build as per instructions, but, the parcels office will be split into two smaller buildings, one either side of the main building, just to fill up the space.

Also discovered, whilst pushing the Western around, that I need to trim the left platform edge back a little, too !

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 2

Hi....

Why not consider modelling the steps down to the platforms something along the lines of Snow Hill Station, an image here to illustrate the idea? ......

and take a look at this site

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birminghamsnowhill2.htm#booking

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-05533800-1485208178_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM

Hi....

Why not consider modelling the steps down to the platforms something along the lines of Snow Hill Station, an image here to illustrate the idea? ......

Regards

Bob

attachicon.gif211984410_434a954a30_b.jpg

Hi Bob,

Been scouring the internet looking at images of 'covered' stations looking for inspiration. I still have a vision of a small concourse in my head though, mainly due to the need to offset the stairways due to the curve of the platforms. I have seen images of ornate steel/iron footbridges (similar to the Hornby Scaledale one) in train sheds, so, that is one possibililty as I have one here, but, it almost seems a shame to hide it under the roof ! I could then just have a single stairway from the station building down to platform level, with the footbridge giving access to the other two platforms.

That pic of Snow Hill gives me confirmation on my Tunnel Mouth or Girder dilemma though !

Once I get the roof frames made up I will take a few pics to show the problem I have regarding the platform curves and roof height. 

• Like 1

Spent the last few evenings working on the roof arches and brick stairways - now got something to put together to start getting an impression of what I am trying to do. As you will see from the images below, the curve in the platform presents an interesting challenge !

Two options already discussed are :-

A pair of brick-built stairways, one to each platform, with a link span or concourse type affair connecting the stairways to the station building - 

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.1a4d6c35c00916c789746d85d1bad928.JPG

IMG_0691.thumb.JPG.e50ba7820ef8380851b88c9bfdff6dda.JPG

Or :-

A single, right-angled stairway down from the station building to platform 1 then a footbridge over to platforms 2 & 3 -

IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.7ad4b83fb80a41e8bfbdb192659fefc0.JPG

IMG_0695.thumb.JPG.1305b8b2423934580faa60697bc06f8f.JPG

Don't mind the thin card strips and wooden blocks - they're just holding everything up for the photos !

There will also be "glass" ( clear plastic ! ) facade on the open end of the roof assembly, and eventually lighting inside.

Your thoughts and deliberations, gents, please !

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Spent the last few evenings working on the roof arches and brick stairways - now got something to put together to start getting an impression of what I am trying to do. As you will see from the images below, the curve in the platform presents an interesting challenge !

Two options already discussed are :-

A pair of brick-built stairways, one to each platform, with a link span or concourse type affair connecting the stairways to the station building - 

attachicon.gifIMG_0690.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0691.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0692.JPG

Or :-

A single, right-angled stairway down from the station building to platform 1 then a footbridge over to platforms 2 & 3 -

attachicon.gifIMG_0694.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0695.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0696.JPG

Don't mind the thin card strips and wooden blocks - they're just holding everything up for the photos !

There will also be "glass" ( clear plastic ! ) facade on the open end of the roof assembly, and eventually lighting inside.

Your thoughts and deliberations, gents, please !

If I were a passenger on your layout I would prefer the first option. I wouldn't fancy going down, up and down again just to get to the other platforms.

• Like 1

If I were a passenger on your layout I would prefer the first option. I wouldn't fancy going down, up and down again just to get to the other platforms.

I know what you mean !   Itching to use that footbridge though - might have to put it at the other end of the platforms, just for the sake of using it, otherwise it goes back into its box and up into the loft !

Trying to visualise how the link span / concourse would look. It can't be any higher than the top step of the existing stairways due to head room under the roof arches, but, it can rise up to street level as it gets closer to the middle of the roof.

Very interesting Andi! I like the prototyping to visualize it all and the idea of a concourse is a nice touch for the station. 

May I ask, what is the height of your layout from the floor?

Cheers

Des

On 26/01/2017 at 00:03, desjrailway said:

Very interesting Andi! I like the prototyping to visualize it all and the idea of a concourse is a nice touch for the station. 

May I ask, what is the height of your layout from the floor?

Cheers

Des

Hi Des,

Still undecided on the concourse - I am in the process of making up two station backwalls with the different tunnel entry options, (one a brick arch type and the other a steel girder) then will be working on the stairways and a simple steel girder bridge spanning from the station exit across the tracks to the second and third platforms. Will get most of that done tonight and put the pics up - I don't sleep much !  🤪 🤪 🤪

I have real trouble visualising things sometimes. I can get an idea in my head and kind of know what I want to do, but, until I see it in the flesh I can't make up my mind ! I will often build and rebuild something three or four times until I am happy with it !

The baseboard top is 39 inches from the floor - a really comfortable height for me to work at, but, just within my reach for touching the backscene when the extra boards for the goods yard and loco depot get added at the back. The far corners will be a stretch - the engine shed especially, but I have a stepstool and I am a gangly 5'10" with long arms !   🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

Ok,

Tonights efforts so far - 

Tunnel entrance  -  Brick arch or Girder ?   🤔  🤔

IMG_0702.thumb.JPG.634a26d4e794bb9d52477bb650ec5979.JPG

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.6701b9de3f526df716f2688df35b6976.JPG

And,

What I have been playing with in terms of getting passengers over the rails to platforms 2 & 3 - only a mock up at the mo, and I am not sure I am happy with it - it seems a little haphazard to me - like it was built as an afterthought   🤔  🤔

Maybe it would look better if I put the downward deflection (stairs) closer to one of the brick built stairways ?  I was looking to possibly make this a girder type bridge, or would it look better as a brick built bridge with girder support running underneath ?

IMG_0697.thumb.JPG.ab4a6ed79401640842a7249914cfea56.JPG

IMG_0698.thumb.JPG.9722d9a4f41dd1017df5bd5976609418.JPG

IMG_0699.thumb.JPG.20832f31dae90e2ba3930fdaa00fb32a.JPG

Looking at this last photo, I am starting to think about putting the station building central to the roof arches and going for the small concourse idea - I am going to have odd windows sticking out everywhere if I leave the station building where it is !  Although, I could leave the glazing out and put some brick paper in instead to brick the windows up.

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

Another thing I made tonight is this -

I got fed up of trying (usually unsuccessfully) to pick up my small steel rule, usually having to slide it to the edge of the desk to grab a hold of it. Then along came a bulldog style spring clip and a couple of neodymium  type magnets --

Viola !

A magnetic handle for my steel rule !  Makes life so much easier !  

🤪

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok,

Tonights efforts so far - 

Tunnel entrance  -  Brick arch or Girder ?   :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifIMG_0702.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0701.JPG

And,

What I have been playing with in terms of getting passengers over the rails to platforms 2 & 3 - only a mock up at the mo, and I am not sure I am happy with it - it seems a little haphazard to me - like it was built as an afterthought   :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Maybe it would look better if I put the downward deflection (stairs) closer to one of the brick built stairways ?  I was looking to possibly make this a girder type bridge, or would it look better as a brick built bridge with girder support running underneath ?

attachicon.gifIMG_0697.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0698.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0699.JPG

Looking at this last photo, I am starting to think about putting the station building central to the roof arches and going for the small concourse idea - I am going to have odd windows sticking out everywhere if I leave the station building where it is !  Although, I could leave the glazing out and put some brick paper in instead to brick the windows up.

:umbrage:  :umbrage:  :umbrage:

Andi, I'd go for the girder. As far as the steps are concerned, I think the dogleg looks a bit odd and it will be difficult to find space for columns to support it all. I would copy the arrangement on the other side, then you could cantilever a straight and level walkway off the wall. Finally I think placing the building symmetrically would look more convincing, perhaps with the little extension moved to the other side.

Hope this helps.