Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Actually, we're tooling two different cowcatchers - one with an opening for the NEM pocket/coupler and the other solid as per prototype. They will be removable and interchangeable.

That's useful.

As has been noted, there will be two variants on the skirts. One will include all skirts, the other no skirts. Because of clearance issues behind the skirts on the model the skirted version will be missing some of the smaller valve gear components, This will not be apparent on the finished model, but does mean that the skirts are not really removable. You will need to order the version that you want (skirted or unskirted)  - or one of each! ;>)

That's precisely what I have done - ordered one of each!

• Like 1

This is a purely personal comment and entirely outside of my involvement with the J70 project, as I have not been involved in any way with the choice of liveries/quantities. With regard to the issue of a GER model (which could be included in a second batch, if sufficient support was forthcoming).

1) I did see the messages of interest as they came in and the original livery requests were heavily in favour of LNER or BR liveries.

2) At one time we thought we could do a single model that could be fitted with skirts supplied separately in the pack. This would have halved the number of detail variants and consequently a wider spread of livery variants would have been possible. The fact that we have to do at least two different models in order to do the skirted/unskirted/partial skirted versions, each in several different liveries/numbers with a minimum run of 500 each, means that something has to give, and it was the livery with the least support. 

3) Those who were interested in the GER livery were generally also interested in the coach. When the coach was dropped from the plans it may well have been felt that the level of interest in GER livery would reduce without the coach.

4) The choices have to be ratified by commercial people who are persuaded purely by commercial matters (ie quantities we can sell) and are not swayed by arguments about prettiness or the 'gut feelings' of Model Rail editorial staff.

5) Related to (4) above is the fact that we still have stock of the 'pretty' and 'gut feeling' USA tanks, while the BR-liveried ones have sold out. Presented with this argument, it's very difficult to put forward a proposal that we think a GER J70 might sell because it's blue. Personally, I'd love to see a GER one but we need the e-mails of support if we're to progress this. You can e-mail cj.leigh@bauermedia.co.uk and I'll make sure they get to the right person. (CJL)

That does all make sense. I've ordered two of the early emblem BR J70s, because that's the era I'm modelling elsewhere and, although there's no real crossover between the J70s and my other main project (an urban goods yard in the Potteries), I will be able to switch at least some rolling stock between the two (assuming I do get round to building something to run the J70s on). That's also why I haven't bought a USA tank, as the one I might have bought - again, early BR - sold out while I was still dithering about it and the others just don't fit my chosen era.

I wonder if recent and forthcoming releases of warwells and warflats might spark more interest in WWII era layouts, though, in which case a USA tank in original USATC livery might fit in very well.

I presume there's nothing stopping you doing a second run of J70s with a different livery if the first batch sells out quickly enough. Maybe a GER version cold be a follow-up.

Guest Midland Mole

I presume there's nothing stopping you doing a second run of J70s with a different livery if the first batch sells out quickly enough. Maybe a GER version cold be a follow-up.

Only if enough people email to register interest in the GER versions....so hop to it! ;)

Alex

Well 5 of my mates have put in emails for a GER version, I mean what's not to like, they are very different to the LNER & BR versions and there are people who model the GER who need RTR loco's. To date Oxford Rail are doing the GER N7 perhaps it would be good to see how well that sells then Model Rail could decide whether to move onto a GER C53 in the future.

I myself have ordered the LNER MR-209 No. 7137 the version with the skirts, and really look forward to seeing samples at Warley, if there is to be some samples :) 

Edited by Norton Wood

Well 5 of my mates have put in emails for a GER version, I mean what's not to like, they are very different to the LNER & BR versions and there are people who model the GER who need RTR loco's. To date Oxford Rail are doing the GER N7 perhaps it would be good to see how well that sells then Model Rail could decide whether to move onto a GER C53 in the future.

I myself have ordered the LNER MR-209 No. 7137 the version with the skirts, and really look forward to seeing samples at Warley, if there is to be some samples :)

Once Rapido get their teeth into a project, they are quite, well, Rapid, so we might well have something in metal and plastic by Warley........ (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only if enough people email to register interest in the GER versions....so hop to it! ;)

Alex

You keeping score then Alex ? As appointed team / cheer leader your job description is a weekly tally..So,let's guess now,say 30 so far...XXX to reach the target ? I have to say it is an intriguing idea.....crowd sourcing with a twist.Bit like a parliamentary pressure group but hopefully better mannered.

Right then ...to kick start.....I herby declare an expression of interest.Bon voyage!

Not my models, but examples of the GER versions that I saw at the East Anglian Model Railway show being modeled in 0 Gauge. Obviously carrying the the two typical GER Liveries I find the Grey and Crimson livery the best in my opinion. I could be wrong but the think the first picture isn't a C53 as it's slightly different to the lower picture, they have been modeled fantastically.

post-32040-0-24746600-1498914493_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-64750500-1498914530_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Those two pictures are great @Norton Wood! I must admit the Choc & Blue one is my preference ;)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Not my models, but examples of the GER versions that I saw at the East Anglian Model Railway show being modeled in 0 Gauge. Obviously carrying the the two typical GER Liveries I find the Grey and Crimson livery the best in my opinion. I could be wrong but the think the first picture isn't a C53 as it's slightly different to the lower picture, they have been modeled fantastically.

Yes G15s, but good to post because they show the two main livery variants.  Nice models.

Also great models are the trams on Elmwell Village Depot, which DonW of this parish brought to our attention on Castle Aching (yes, it will feature a tramway), and Neil HB found a link to some great shots on Flickr: https://www.flickr.c...9h/14762941907/

The point of raising this is because it is a great way to model any small line that does not have a huge variety of motive power and stock; run trains from different eras.  Elmwell Village Depot goes a step further.  It advances through the seasons and is revolving!  Each season represents a different period.

It would be great to model the W&U, or similar in 4mm, starting with blue and brown locos and progress through time, perhaps with services overlapping as the transition between liveries takes place.

Guest Midland Mole

I had completely forgotten about Elmwell Village Depot! That was always one of my favourite layouts, ever since I saw it on Model Town years ago.

If anyone wants to see it in action, you can find it on Youtube here. Go to around 1:26:20. :)

Alex

• Like 1

Yes G15s, but good to post because they show the two main livery variants.  Nice models.

Also great models are the trams on Elmwell Village Depot, which DonW of this parish brought to our attention on Castle Aching (yes, it will feature a tramway), and Neil HB found a link to some great shots on Flickr: https://www.flickr.c...9h/14762941907/

That link, for some reason, didn't work. Try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fwc439h/14946327941/in/photolist-oLKQzk-ouxWia-oM1aX1-oLL91n-oM17T5-ouxTue-ouwX2u-ouxqm7-oM2WMx-oM2D7T-ouwZRs-oux6TN-oLKUSD-ouxna7-oM2TXe-ouxjif-7GWBUr-ouwU4A

or, if that breaks, this: http://tinyurl.com/yddobg4e

The point of raising this is because it is a great way to model any small line that does not have a huge variety of motive power and stock; run trains from different eras.  Elmwell Village Depot goes a step further.  It advances through the seasons and is revolving!  Each season represents a different period.

It is a lovely model, and very cleverly done. But there's a lot of work involved in making the same layout four times with minor variations!

Going off on a tangent a bit, though, another thing that layout does extremely well is to capture how a rural area differs according to the seasons. Not just the colour of the trees and whether there is snow on the ground, but the nature of the loads being carried - for example, strawberries in summer, seed potatoes in winter. It's detail like that which can really make a layout work, from a visual perspective.

• RMweb Gold

So........if an N-gauge modeller was to buy one of these, because it's kind of quirky, in BR Early livery or LNER for that matter.....what kind of RTR wagons would be suitable on a small, not-necessarily-prototypical-geographically, four foot shunting micro-layout?

So........if an N-gauge modeller was to buy one of these, because it's kind of quirky, in BR Early livery or LNER for that matter.....what kind of RTR wagons would be suitable on a small, not-necessarily-prototypical-geographically, four foot shunting micro-layout?

If you want something that approximates to the Wisbech and Upwell, then the two staples are coal wagons and fruit/standard vans. "Coal in, fruit and veg out" was pretty much the raison d'etre of the line. So there are plenty of RTR offerings that would suit.

I don't know if there are any RTR Private Owner coal wagons with authentically local names on, but in BR days it's a lot easier as the standard grey ones will be fine. For vans, the Bachmann LNER fruit vans would be ideal for both Big Four and BR eras, but any standard van would be appropriate. 

The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway Centenary Album book, as previously referred to, has some good photos that illustrate typical W&U trains. You can get it from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2tKUmrY

For a dock layout, then the options are obviously more diverse as the locos would have hauled anything that the docks handled. But, again, if you want to retain an authentically East Anglian flavour, then GER, LNER and (if applicable) BR standard designs are more appropriate than those from other parts of the country. But, of course, interlopers do happen! 

Edited by MarkSG

• RMweb Gold

If you want something that approximates to the Wisbech and Upwell, then the two staples are coal wagons and fruit/standard vans. "Coal in, fruit and veg out" was pretty much the raison d'etre of the line. So there are plenty of RTR offerings that would suit.

I don't know if there are any RTR Private Owner coal wagons with authentically local names on, but in BR days it's a lot easier as the standard grey ones will be fine. For vans, the Bachmann LNER fruit vans would be ideal for both Big Four and BR eras, but any standard van would be appropriate. 

The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway Centenary Album book, as previously referred to, has some good photos that illustrate typical W&U trains. You can get it from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2tKUmrY

For a dock layout, then the options are obviously more diverse as the locos would have hauled anything that the docks handled. But, again, if you want to retain an authetically East Anglian flavour, then GER, LNER and (if applicable) BR standard designs are more appropriate than those from other parts of the country. But, of course, interlopers do happen! 

Thank you, Sir!

For a dock layout, then the options are obviously more diverse as the locos would have hauled anything that the docks handled. But, again, if you want to retain an authetically East Anglian flavour, then GER, LNER and (if applicable) BR standard designs are more appropriate than those from other parts of the country. But, of course, interlopers do happen! 

Yes, and if you want something quirky and different (you might need to kit or scratch build) then one of the miscellaneous GE vehicles they brought in as mobile offices for the fruit season. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and if you want something quirky and different (you might need to kit or scratch build) then one of the miscellaneous GE vehicles they brought in as mobile offices for the fruit season. (CJL)

I don't mind building a wagon kit or two.....

I don't know if there are any RTR Private Owner coal wagons with authentically local names on

This is one such, although in 7mm:

asenby_glasgow_02_small_zpsy1vjdw9l.jpg

one of the miscellaneous GE vehicles they brought in as mobile offices for the fruit season.

I don't have a better shot of the office van, but Dan Pinnock used to do this in 4mm as well as 7.

asenby_9_zpsb78de515.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

This is one such, although in 7mm:

asenby_glasgow_02_small_zpsy1vjdw9l.jpg

I don't have a better shot of the office van, but Dan Pinnock used to do this in 4mm as well as 7.

asenby_9_zpsb78de515.jpg

This was registered to the M&GNJ, which makes sense as Great Massingham was on the Lynn & Fakenham. 

I read somewhere that it was the only PO registered to the M&GNJ, though that seems hard to believe.

I don't know the date this wagon - please correct me if I'm wrong, but it has a RCH 1907 look to me.  As such, if an RTR version exists, it would probably utilise RCH 1923 7-plank tooling and be wrong!

If anyone does know the date, I'd be grateful, because my freelance line crosses the M&GNJ in the vicinity of Massingham and I would love to have a model of this wagon.

POWsides kits produce P Softley No.2 in 4mm and 7mm. 

I have just built a 4mm scale POWsides wagon for a King's Lynn merchant.  This is apparently based on the RCH 1887 specification (though it uses a Slaters Gloucester kit, so it has Gloucester embossed on the axle boxes even though I believe it was built by Midland!) . 

I have to say, plastic wagon kits just fall together, and this one is pre-printed for you, so I don't really see that the lack of RTR as a problem here, or that the lack of RTR wagons should ever trouble the "average enthusiast" like me.  Even I can knock one up in an evening; indeed, this is the second plastic wagon kit I have completed and the first and, so far, only, Slaters wagon kit I have built, and I didn't experience any difficulties. 

post-25673-0-70220300-1499264155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian

One other thing you'll definitely need for the W&U is a brake van. Looking at the photos in the book I mentioned earlier, it seems to have retained at least some ex-GER vans all the way through to closure, and at least some of them were still in (very dishevelled) LNER livery in early BR days.

I'm not aware of any RTR GER brake vans, although another photo of the W&U shows what looks, to me, like an equally ancient flat-sided (no duckets) Midland van, which is available RTR. I suspect that, towards the end of its working life, the line may well have been something of a repository for cascaded stock from elsewhere, so it's quite possible that more oddities may have used it.

Before (BR) numbers 6201, 6203 and 6204 were converted into Fruit Traffic Office Vans in 1937 they were constructed and used for fruit traffic, of which 30 were built by the GER between 1897 and 1899. The D&S 7mm scale etched brass kit is still available; the 4mm may re-appear if Dan is persuaded of the connection with the production of appropriate period Model Rail J70s. The same could be said of his pair of W&U tramcar kits - 1x bogie and 1x 4-wheeler in each pack.

A 7mm scale etched kit of a GER Brake Van is available from Laurie Griffin www.lgminiatures.co.uk - during LNER and BR days the brake vans were whatever was attached to the trains coming in - typically any one of the 3 LNER types of Toad (B, E and D) or in BR days also an LMS 20T Brake Van.