Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Unless you were being strictly to prototype, then I would have thought that an LNER brake van such as the Parkside Toad E would be good enough for most layouts. They also used to do a Toad B until recently. Or even the Bachmann RTR version.

Or you could put a J70 at the other end and pretend it's a brake van.  :tomato: 

Jason

As has been noted, there will be two variants on the skirts. One will include all skirts, the other no skirts. Because of clearance issues behind the skirts on the model the skirted version will be missing some of the smaller valve gear components, This will not be apparent on the finished model, but does mean that the skirts are not really removable. You will need to order the version that you want (skirted or unskirted)  - or one of each! ;>)

Bill 

This is helpful to know, thanks Bill.

Who would have ever thought a J70 tram with full valve gear would ever be manufactured. Amazing!

I am just looking at putting in some orders for these, but I just want to be as clear as possible about what is defined as 'partial skirts' and 'no skirts'.

Will 'partial skirts' include the metal work that follows the lower bracket of the cowcatcher right around the loco? 

If this is not the case, then isn't a 'partial skirt' model essentially the same as a 'no skirts' version, but just includes the cowcatchers (which sound like they are removable anyway, based on the NEM pocket discussion)?

Has there been any discussion about providing sections of side plates as added etches/accessories for us to fix on where we like (a bit like the valences on the Dapol Class 22)?

Regards

Tom

Edited by Grasslands

This is helpful to know, thanks Bill.

Who would have ever thought a J70 tram with full valve gear would ever be manufactured. Amazing!

I am just looking at putting in some orders for these, but I just want to be as clear as possible about what is defined as 'partial skirts' and 'no skirts'.

Will 'partial skirts' include the metal work that follows the lower bracket of the cowcatcher right around the loco? 

If this is not the case, then isn't a 'partial skirt' model essentially the same as a 'no skirts' version, but just includes the cowcatchers (which sound like they are removable anyway, based on the NEM pocket discussion)?

Has there been any discussion about providing sections of side plates as added etches/accessories for us to fix on where we like (a bit like the valences on the Dapol Class 22)?

Regards

Tom

I doubt that we'll be able to include that lower rail that the side plates attached to. It would either be over scale or impossibly fragile. The model with skirts and the versions without skirts will be two different models because it is not possible to fit the skirts over the full valve gear. I think Bill did mention that, further back in this thread. There are three versions - skirts, no skirts (ie stripped for main line running), partial skirts (ie cowcatchers). (CJL)

• Like 2

While having a bit of a look through Yeadons vol48, I made some notes on which J70/s would be appropriate (as offered) for the region/timeframe I model, thought I might share the information I found. Obviously people can model what they like and re-number or repaint their locos as they please but this is what I came up with.

68219 BR emblem, cowcatchers Yarmouth 11/49-2/49 Ipswich 2/53-Cond 8/53 (this one carried a 32E shedplate. BR emblem from 11/50) so a good one for dockside layouts.

68222 BR emblem, full skirts, stepped buffer shanks emblem from 7/50, Kings Lynn 6/48-7/52, March 7/52-6/53, Colchester 6/53 Ipswich 11/53 Cond 1/55. Good for W and U possibly Colchester and Ipswich but may have lost skirts by then. Could renumber to 68220/1/3 same buffers.

68225 BR emblem, no skirts emblem from 5/50. Kings Lynn 6/49, Colchester 9/51, Kings Lynn 12/51, March 7/52, Ipswich 8/53- Cond 3/55. Probably best for Colchester or Ipswich, with cowcatchers would be good for W and U.

68226 British Railways no skirts, gained emblem 11/51 Colchester 6/46- Cond 8/55 best for Colchester Hythe.

68223 British Railways skirts did not get emblem, Kings Lynn 2/27, March 7/52, Yarmouth 12/53 Cond 7/55 with skirts best for W and U. Could renumber to 68220/1/2 same buffers

7128 wartime NE with skirts Kings Lynn 1939-41, Ipswich 12/41-3/45, King Lynn 3/45 Cambridge 4/48, Not sure if this was one of the two that operated on the Wissington light during WWII prob best for W and U with skirts, stepped buffer type as per 7127/30/31.

8223 Post war NE full skirts Kings lynn 1927-52 best for W and U, stepped buffers.

7126 LNER lined, no skirts  Ipswich 1921-1934

7137 LNER unlined with skirts  Yarmouth pre1931, Kings Lynn 6/31, Yarmouth 10/31, Kings lynn 5/33-4/48 good for W and U post 1933.

7139 LNER lined, cow catchers Ipswich pre1930, Yarmouth 6/30, Ipswich 10/30 good for Ipswich docks

I hope this information is useful to others it would be good if a GER version was available especially if there was a Hornby GER J15 also. I will certainly be getting 68226 and possibly 68222 or 68225.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that we'll be able to include that lower rail that the side plates attached to. It would either be over scale or impossibly fragile. The model with skirts and the versions without skirts will be two different models because it is not possible to fit the skirts over the full valve gear...

This is good information in a style that other manufacturers could learn from. Here are the limits of what we can achieve in this scale in a commercial production, and an outline of the why.

Now it only remains for me to integrate the western end of the Skimpans, Wildhill, Essendon and Hertford Tramway ('The Swish') into the layout plan.

I doubt that we'll be able to include that lower rail that the side plates attached to. It would either be over scale or impossibly fragile. The model with skirts and the versions without skirts will be two different models because it is not possible to fit the skirts over the full valve gear. I think Bill did mention that, further back in this thread. There are three versions - skirts, no skirts (ie stripped for main line running), partial skirts (ie cowcatchers). (CJL)

I was rather hoping to see the lower rail - it would make the partial skirts version that I have ordered complete. This week I took delivery of two Bachman wagons that have nicely modelled underbody detail in metal - very fine but strong enough.  I also took delivery of a pair of 6 wheeled brake vans in H0 from Austrains.  These have exquisitely modelled brake rigging and other underbody detail of metal (wire) held secure within the moulded hangers. This has been done within a reasonable price (c. 44GBP per vehicle) in the small Australian Market. It can be done! 

I was rather hoping to see the lower rail - it would make the partial skirts version that I have ordered complete. This week I took delivery of two Bachman wagons that have nicely modelled underbody detail in metal - very fine but strong enough.  I also took delivery of a pair of 6 wheeled brake vans in H0 from Austrains.  These have exquisitely modelled brake rigging and other underbody detail of metal (wire) held secure within the moulded hangers. This has been done within a reasonable price (c. 44GBP per vehicle) in the small Australian Market. It can be done! 

Yes. I did say I doubted it, but we will have to wait and see what Rapido Trains come up with. I can't say for sure one way or the other at this stage of the project. Some things depend on the skills and equipment available in particular factories and just because one manufacturer can do it doesn't mean it's either easy or affordable. No two 'J70s' were exactly the same. There are some crazy, minute, variations. You could tool for all of them but that doesn't mean it would be sensible to do so. (CJL)

• Like 3

Yes. I did say I doubted it, but we will have to wait and see what Rapido Trains come up with. Some things depend on the skills and equipment available in particular factories and just because one manufacturer can do it doesn't mean it's either easy or affordable. No two 'J70s' were exactly the same.  (CJL)

Thanks Chris,  I understand.  But after seeing the images of Rapido's Stirling Single and its undercarriage I will continue to hope!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen this. I want one. Where do I sign up?

Unfortunately for me the coach will make all the difference, otherwise it's just another lovely pre-grouping liveried loco without anything to pull!

Of course it's got something to pull. Train of fruit vans. Much more typical.

Thanks Chris, but can you clarify. Does 68225 have the cow catchers as per the photograph?

No, it doesn't. Unfortunately, the prototype images chosen to illustrate the models don't always match the condition being modelled. The CGI images are correct for the model, and if you read MR then the paper insert which advertises them - which uses solely CGI - shows them correctly.

For the webpage, you need to go by the description:

Full skirts - both side skirts and cowcatchers

Partial skirts - cowcatchers only

No skirts - neither side skires nor cowcatchers

So 68225 will not have cowcatchers, despite the image showing them.

See also Chris's reply to the same question earlier in the thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118730-model-railrapido-trains-gerlner-j70-0-6-0t-project-toby/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2770111

MR-202, MR-202, MR-205, MR-206, & MR-209 will be fully skirted.

MR-202 & MR-210 will be partially skirted (MR-210 is basically MR-201 during the grouping)

MR-203, MR-204, & MR-208 are the no skirting ones.

Hope this helps, also it'd be a good idea to check page 96 in the Model Rail Magazine Summer 2017 issue as they have color layouts of all of the models except MR-210.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick

MR-202, MR-202, MR-205, MR-206, & MR-209 will be fully skirted.

MR-202 & MR-210 will be partially skirted (MR-210 is basically MR-201 during the grouping)

MR-203, MR-204, & MR-208 are the no skirting ones.

Hope this helps, also it'd be a good idea to check page 96 in the Model Rail Magazine Summer 2017 issue as they have color layouts of all of the models except MR-210.

Most of which are available for nowt on the Model Rail offers webpage... http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/c/1084/Steam-Locomotives

CAD images of the 'J70' appear in the September issue of Model Rail which is on sale now. There's also a full set of artwork views of the various versions which are available to pre-order. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

Guest Midland Mole

CAD images of the 'J70' appear in the September issue of Model Rail which is on sale now. There's also a full set of artwork views of the various versions which are available to pre-order. (CJL)

And mighty fine they look too! :)

Alex

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Not so sure about the pale blue, pink and purple!............(CJL)

Possibly another livery to consider, not sure how many people would buy it though. :P

Alex

• 3 weeks later...