Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

On a slight tangent........well large tangent, a Drummond liveried Radial....mmmm

Rob

I'd vote for that.  By the time the class reached Lyme Regis they'd have long been in this livery.  Quite a few at Exmouth junction throughout the period and they didn't all leave London when everyone says either!

Pretty useful.

I have the Drummond liveried M7, which is lovely, but I was not completely sold on Hornby's take on Drummond green.  I like the shade used by C R Phillips, which seems very like Hamilton Ellis's depiction of the colour.

Anyway, apologies to CJL for going away from the J70/C53.

• Like 2

My goodness, imagine the outcry if a BR modeller was told, in effect, to p1ss off and repaint a pre-Grouping liveried model black every time he wanted a loco. No doubt some few would, but, my goodness, if told to accept this as the norm ...

That was the norm.

I take it you don't remember the days when virtually everything was released in Big Four colours and often not even painted? What did we do then....

You want a BR pannier tank? Can't get one. Only a green plastic GWR version.

Hall? Nope. Also green plastic.

Duchess? No. Only in red.

A3? Also no. Flying Scotsman and that's it.

Black Five? No it was red.

E2? No. Just a brown one. Then a green one.

Etc.

Don't even mention diesels which were the same identity for about ten years and either blue or green. If you wanted a different one then you had to paint it.

What are all you pre grouping modellers going to do when you need carriages? Are you going to paint and line Ratio Midland and LNWR carriages like I did? Not very well, but I did it. It was either that or put up with reliveried BR Mark Ones.

I also remember having to hand letter PO wagons as you couldn't get transfers apart from Letraset which didn't look anything like railway wagon letters. Using gouache and a technique in an article in Railway Modeller. Using drawings from MRC and The Modellers Sketchbook of PO Wagons by AG Thomas, three volumes. I wish I could have afforded the Bill Hudson books so I could see what the wagons actually looked like.

Jason

• Like 2

I suppose one could try and bash a J70 out of a parkside brake van! :jester:

Funny you say that as I seem to remember someone built one from a motorised Mainline LNER brake van of this type.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/110662/Mainline_37_140_LN_01_Brake_Van_10_LNER_NE_Brown_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• Like 1

The good thing about the J70, from a livery point of view is that they didn’t really change over the years. Some of the pre-grouping built locos releases aren’t suitable for pre-grouping liveries because they ate modelled on modified condition.

The good thing about the J70, from a livery point of view is that they didn’t really change over the years. Some of the pre-grouping built locos releases aren’t suitable for pre-grouping liveries because they ate modelled on modified condition.

It depends on whether the manufacturer is prepared to build variations into the tooling suite.  We are finally seeing efforts being made to do so.

In the past if it were, say an Hornby ex-LSW model or a Bachmann ex-MR model, you'd be stuffed, because early-condition bodies would not have accommodated the motorised chassis, so you often couldn't even really back date for yourself!

Again, there are signs that manufacturers are making more of an effort, at least to include relatively minor variations.

I agree, though, these considerations should not be a huge issue for a C53 (J70).  I literally have better things to do than repaint a model that could, and hopefully will, be released in the desired livery. Constructing W&U coaches being one such thing!

I also remember having to hand letter PO wagons as you couldn't get transfers apart from Letraset which didn't look anything like railway wagon letters. Using gouache and a technique in an article in Railway Modeller. Using drawings from MRC and The Modellers Sketchbook of PO Wagons by AG Thomas, three volumes. I wish I could have afforded the Bill Hudson books so I could see what the wagons actually looked like.

Books? Luxury! When I was a lad, we had to hand-paint wagons using brushes home-made from weasels we'd caught ourselves, to designs memorised from tales told us by ancient railwaymen as they sat around the fire burning coal that had fallen from the locomotive tenders as they passed.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Books? Luxury! When I was a lad, we had to hand-paint wagons using brushes home-made from weasels we'd caught ourselves, to designs memorised from tales told us by ancient railwaymen as they sat around the fire burning coal that had fallen from the locomotive tenders as they passed.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

I had a feeling we were heading this way .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

You were lucky! I had it worse than that!........I built K's kits! (CJL)

Yoo 'ad kits?

Loxureh!

All we 'ad were cople o' bis o' tinplate what we 'ad to solder together wit our tongs after Father used ter get 'em op ter temrature on' stove. Used to 'ave ter shove the lead inter our mouves an' aim at the bis o' tinplate ter mek our 3F's.

An' yer tell the yoof o' terday an' the wont beleeve yer!

• 2 weeks later...

OO Class J70 Tram Engine

The tooling is now complete for UK08, the OO J70 tank engine that we’re producing for Model Rail magazine. This tiny loco has turned out to be an amazing little powerhouse, with one of the samples pulling more than 34 goods wagons around consultant editor Chris Leigh’s home layout!

The J70 has a die-cast chassis and boiler with plastic and etched-metal details. It is available in DC form which will be DCC ready (designed for a NEXT18 decoder). We’ve even included space for a sugarcube speaker inside the compact chassis. Model Rail has specified a number of detail options including skirted and non-skirted versions, two styles of ends, two styles of buffer beams and optional cowcatcher pilots. Two styles of the latter will be provided – one for Hook and loop couplings (which utilize NEM pockets) and the other a full cowcatcher for those who would like to use scale couplings.

We have received artwork approval and the factory has started work on decoration samples for approval ahead of production. These should be complete in a few weeks and we are ready to enter production as soon as they are given the green light by our friends at Model Rail. Watch Model Rail’s website for further updates as they are available.

Posted today by Rapido

• Like 9

OO Class J70 Tram Engine

The tooling is now complete for UK08, the OO J70 tank engine that we’re producing for Model Rail magazine. This tiny loco has turned out to be an amazing little powerhouse, with one of the samples pulling more than 34 goods wagons around consultant editor Chris Leigh’s home layout!

The J70 has a die-cast chassis and boiler with plastic and etched-metal details. It is available in DC form which will be DCC ready (designed for a NEXT18 decoder). We’ve even included space for a sugarcube speaker inside the compact chassis. Model Rail has specified a number of detail options including skirted and non-skirted versions, two styles of ends, two styles of buffer beams and optional cowcatcher pilots. Two styles of the latter will be provided – one for Hook and loop couplings (which utilize NEM pockets) and the other a full cowcatcher for those who would like to use scale couplings.

We have received artwork approval and the factory has started work on decoration samples for approval ahead of production. These should be complete in a few weeks and we are ready to enter production as soon as they are given the green light by our friends at Model Rail. Watch Model Rail’s website for further updates as they are available.

Posted today by Rapido

I'm hoping to be in the land of the Maple Leaf in July/August, with a few days in Toronto. If it's convenient for you guys, I 'd be happy to bring back the livery samples if they are ready - to save mailing them. (CJL)

• Like 2

I'm hoping to be in the land of the Maple Leaf in July/August, with a few days in Toronto. If it's convenient for you guys, I 'd be happy to bring back the livery samples if they are ready - to save mailing them. (CJL)

Oooh Yes please, Chris, that would be fantastic.

Thank you

For those who haven't subscribed here is the header for the latest Rapido Newsletter;

Rapido News UK Vol. 16

©2018 Rapido Trains Inc.

Dear Rapido Customer,

Well we've been complete rubbish at sending these out every month. It feels like several decades since our last newsletter. I blame the labour laws in the West Midlands. We had hoped to pay some Aston street urchins 50p (each!) to write these newsletters for us every month but apparently "fair pay" and "human rights" and "sanitary conditions" are all "things" in Birmingham. We should have looked further north. (Ouch!)

So it's down to Bill, Gareth and me to keep our 17 UK newsletter subscribers informed. (Make that 11, now that everyone who lives north of Brum has unsubscribed.)

In this edition:

Jason's Coming to the UK With a Very Small Bus!

Heads Up! BCT 2976 on the #11

Factory Update on Rapido's British Train Models

Happy Pendos!

BRM's tour of Rapido HQ

Lost in Preservation - New Video!

• RMweb Gold

No idea how I could justify one of these on a Devon branch line....

As far as justification is concerned, it's probably more the sort of thing you could justify as a completely separate side project.

At least, that's how I'm justifying mine. Although the way things are going, it may well end up being the main project!

• RMweb Gold

As far as justification is concerned, it's probably more the sort of thing you could justify as a completely separate side project.

At least, that's how I'm justifying mine. Although the way things are going, it may well end up being the main project!

The problem I see is that if it becomes the main project, one needs at least two.....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry because it's a well known fact that one ran on a largely unknown independent secondary line in the Welsh Marches along with a Peckett saddle tank the company had acquired from Huntley & Palmers after saving up the coupons that came in packets of Rich Tea biscuits.  Therefore seems to me to be no reason that one got traded for some decent pasties and several hundred cream teas from a private Devon catering concern which had running powers over a local branchline in order to collect the cream from local farms.

Who needs Rule 1 with examples like that?

• Like 2

I have no problem to justify one as the last member of the class was allocated to Colchester, a model of which I'm building!

post-665-0-52538400-1527011306_thumb.jpg

• Like 15