Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Model Rail Mag has said 3/4Q as we are now into 4th Quater and we've seen the painted samples, I think we might start receiving them next year Feb/March time. Chris has said on this thread we can expect to see more at Warley this year.

But as Chris Leigh is on here, better to hear it from him :)

I'm not in the office. I'm guessing those are the remaining livery samples - the BR ones - to be checked and cleared. I have no information on delivery dates. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Further Facebook and YouTube videos have been put up, Chris you look like a very happy bunny in the video, they are looking brilliant. 

attachicon.gif42253324_10155960639943207_5471188396892225536_n.png

https://youtu.be/ooofm6J3Gos

Photo's and video credited to Model Rail Magazine

Very impressive. Now I have to get one past the wife!

Further Facebook and YouTube videos have been put up, Chris you look like a very happy bunny in the video, they are looking brilliant. 

attachicon.gif42253324_10155960639943207_5471188396892225536_n.png

Photo's and video credited to Model Rail Magazine

I wasn't supposed to be in the shot. If I'd known I was being filmed I'd have changed that shirt for something more appropriate. I was just happy that - as livery samples - they had motors in them. Some even had the bodies on the right way round! Some didn't. (CJL)

Very impressive. Now I have to get one past the wife!

They're very small and easy to hide! (CJL)

• Like 3

I wasn't supposed to be in the shot. If I'd known I was being filmed I'd have changed that shirt for something more appropriate. I was just happy that - as livery samples - they had motors in them. Some even had the bodies on the right way round! Some didn't. (CJL)

They're very small and easy to hide! (CJL)

"Is that a J70 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"

I've been looking through a few W&U books etc for something else, but noted the following interesting points:

All locos (J70/Y6/Y1/Y10/04) worked chimney leading, in the Down direction (Wisbech to Upwell).

Passenger brake van 16 always at the Upwell end of the train, in either direction, with the duckets at the Upwell end.**

Extra vehicles added to rear of passenger train (such as horse box or even other trucks) behind no.16.

The earlier luggage van 9 - one photo showing it at the rear (Wisbech) end of a Down train to Upwell. Also a couple at the rear of the Up train. Did they run round with this van?

Brake 16, also an early photo showing it at Wisbech end on a Down train.

**This possibly suggests that in early days, the brake (9 then 16) was always at the rear in both directions. However, 16 had a "corridor" door at one end only, giving the guard access to the passenger coaches, so workings seem to have changed to cover this?

Pedantic points but some may find them useful, or offer other info.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

I've been looking through a few W&U books etc for something else, but noted the following interesting points:

All locos (J70/Y6/Y1/Y10/04) worked chimney leading, in the Down direction (Wisbech to Upwell).

Passenger brake van 16 always at the Upwell end of the train, in either direction, with the duckets at the Upwell end.**

Extra vehicles added to rear of passenger train (such as horse box or even other trucks) behind no.16.

The earlier luggage van 9 - one photo showing it at the rear (Wisbech) end of a Down train to Upwell. Also a couple at the rear of the Up train. Did they run round with this van?

Brake 16, also an early photo showing it at Wisbech end on a Down train.

**This possibly suggests that in early days, the brake (9 then 16) was always at the rear in both directions. However, 16 had a "corridor" door at one end only, giving the guard access to the passenger coaches, so workings seem to have changed to cover this?

Pedantic points but some may find them useful, or offer other info.

Stewart

Once again, I think, proving that the early days of anything (new) on the W & U saw variations, which doon settled down to the "normal" situations posted above. 

I've now found an early pic of an 04, the other way round. Hardly "chimney first" though, it was taken in as-built condition, before any form of exhaust was fitted.

I've also discovered a drawing of the proposed modification to the bogie passenger cars, to make it into a double-deck car. Now that would be an interesting model!

Stewart

Once again, I think, proving that the early days of anything (new) on the W & U saw variations, which doon settled down to the "normal" situations posted above. 

I've now found an early pic of an 04, the other way round. Hardly "chimney first" though, it was taken in as-built condition, before any form of exhaust was fitted.

I've also discovered a drawing of the proposed modification to the bogie passenger cars, to make it into a double-deck car. Now that would be an interesting model!

Stewart

I thought that when the first two 04 were delivered that one was facing one way and the second the other. Im sure there is a photo showing this at Wisbech.

Best Wishes

David

Has the decoder socket changed?

The website says "Next 18" which I thought was one of these:

Bachmann-36-567-Next18-18-Pin-DCC-Decode

but the latest Model Rail (MR253) page 108 says it'll be a 6-pin socket :scratchhead:

I may have got things confused though as I'm not that great with the different types of DCC.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

Having a read Rapido trains UK's almost, sort off...Not really monthly magazine...Further photo's of the J70's have appeared: 

post-32040-0-26332700-1538254123.jpg

post-32040-0-71631400-1538254402.jpg

Again the photo's are not mine and if there was a piece of blurb saying these photos are not allowed to be copied and shared, I'm sorry and I will take down. 

Copywrite...Has to be done 

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 5

Having seen the video I am increasingly pleased that I have ordered a skirtless version - really nice looking motion

It's too hard to say for me... I like both so, I ordered one with skirts and one without... But I do like the skirted one a little bit more, in my opinion. :) 

Does anyone know if the ones with skirts still have all the motion fitted out of sight or do they just have a connecting rod linking the three axles?

Cheers, Mike C

I understand that the motion is omitted from the skirted versions.

They do look good, and very, very tempting, but I shall hold firm and hold out for a blue one, making do with a white-metal one for however long that takes. 

It is inevitable that the cow-catchers are affected by the need to provide tension lock couplings, but if ever there was a design that argued for the adoption of a more sympathetic style of coupling, it's this.

It leaves the question of whether something after-market is available to replace the cow-catcher, as the thought of running it with a large and prominent cut-out is not appealing. 

Laboriously replacement slats could perhaps be fitted to the moulded cow-catcher, but I wonder what glues and materials would be suitable. 

• Like 3

as per model rail offers website

Replacement cowcatchers with no coupling aperture 

I understand that the motion is omitted from the skirted versions.

They do look good, and very, very tempting, but I shall hold firm and hold out for a blue one, making do with a white-metal one for however long that takes. 

It is inevitable that the cow-catchers are affected by the need to provide tension lock couplings, but if ever there was a design that argued for the adoption of a more sympathetic style of coupling, it's this.

It leaves the question of whether something after-market is available to replace the cow-catcher, as the thought of running it with a large and prominent cut-out is not appealing. 

Laboriously replacement slats could perhaps be fitted to the moulded cow-catcher, but I wonder what glues and materials would be suitable. 

Perfect, thank you.  I had not spotted that.  It seems a very sensible move, and I am grateful.

Still going to hold out for a blue one though ...

Does anyone know if the ones with skirts still have all the motion fitted out of sight or do they just have a connecting rod linking the three axles?

Cheers, Mike C

The skirted version has the coupling rod and the connecting rod and crosshead but lacks the motion bracket and the expansion link. The model includes two types of cowcatchers - with and without the cut-out for the tension-lock coupling. There is no need for an aftermarket cowcatcher. The cowcatcher is plastic and it simply clips into place. (CJL)

• Like 2

Having a read Rapido trains UK's almost, sort off...Not really monthly magazine...Further photo's of the J70's have appeared: 

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

attachicon.gifBoiler Asembly.jpg

Again the photo's are not mine and if there was a piece of blurb saying these photos are not allowed to be copied and shared, I'm sorry and I will take down. 

Copywrite...Has to be done 

Excellent photos and excellent models. The BR one appears to have the upper part the wrong way round (cylinders not at the same end as the chimney). I accept that these are decorated samples and hopefully QC will ensure the final shipped models will be correct. Mind you, if it is easy to assemble incorrectly at the factory then presumably it is easy for the consumer to fix when they take delivery without resorting to a lot of fuss on this forum.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos and excellent models. The BR one appears to have the upper part the wrong way round (cylinders not at the same end as the chimney). I accept that these are decorated samples and hopefully QC will ensure the final shipped models will be correct. Mind you, if it is easy to assemble incorrectly at the factory then presumably it is easy for the consumer to fix when they take delivery without resorting to a lot of fuss on this forum.

Please see post 519.

Ignore the assembly issues - these are purely for the livery to be checked. (CJL)

• Like 1

Has the decoder socket changed?

The website says "Next 18" which I thought was one of these:

Bachmann-36-567-Next18-18-Pin-DCC-Decode

but the latest Model Rail (MR253) page 108 says it'll be a 6-pin socket :scratchhead:

I may have got things confused though as I'm not that great with the different types of DCC.

I have one in pieces in front of me. It has a six-pin decoder socket. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25