Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Those used on the dock lines seem generally to have run with cowcatchers but NO side skirts. 

I spoke to the GER society at a model railway exhibtion, and I was told that because docksides like Ipswich ran over public roads, the locomotives working on the dock had to have sideskirts and cowcatchers, but as you've said this didn't always happen

The last J70 tram loco was allocated to Colchester to work Hythe Quay. Apparently there was no requirement for side skirts or cowcatcher, albeit I have photos of trams at Colchester with all three options.

Paul

I spoke to the GER society at a model railway exhibtion, and I was told that because docksides like Ipswich ran over public roads, the locomotives working on the dock had to have sideskirts and cowcatchers, but as you've said this didn't always happen

The Ipswich Dock lines ones should have run with enclosed motion at all times, but sideskirts seem to have been an optional extra, even pre WW2....

post-35561-0-67919500-1548163498.jpg

By the mid 1950's, photos show that Hunslet 0-6-0 diesels were running around the docks without any skirts/cowcatchers fitted - only the 3 Hunslet 0-4-0 diesels which replaced the tram locos carried these.

The last skirt/cowcatcher fitted locos (04 diesels) lost theirs in the early 1970's and all subsequent locos used up to the lines closing in the 1990's had no protection at all.

In the 1950's there was even this D.I.Y. 2-4-0T as well...!!!

post-35561-0-35730500-1548163807.jpg

• Like 2

The last J70 tram loco was allocated to Colchester to work Hythe Quay. Apparently there was no requirement for side skirts or cowcatcher, albeit I have photos of trams at Colchester with all three options.

Paul

I think there must have been a requirement for skirts and a cowcatcher at some point as the Y5 that worked Colchester Hythe up until 1931 had skirts etc. I am not sure if they went over to J70s from then on or sentinels then J70s. Anyway it is 68226 (without skirts as in many available photos) that I have ordered, as it is a station on the Colchester-Clacton line I am basing my model on. I would be interested to see photos of the other trams at Colchester particularly in the 50s, I believe 68222 and 68225 were there for a short while shorty before withdrawal.

61658, there are a large number of photos of J70s at Colchester, I have posted some earlier in the thread, but a couple more below. I'm unsure of copyright

edit;  all the photos I have of trams at Colchester all face the same way, i.e. chimney towards Norwich, can't think why but must be deliberate. 

Regards

Paul

post-665-0-57178600-1548348743.jpg

post-665-0-21318200-1548348845_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-01556900-1548349251_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-31615300-1548349367_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 7

With regard to skirted motion etc, I think the important distinction would be between locomotives that are working over privately-owned systems, as within dockyards etc and locomotives working over public highways. The Wisbech & Upwell was built under tramway legislation rather than railway or light railway legislation. Most dock railways probably didn't require legislation at all. Interestingly, the only other steam-operated roadside tramway that I've studied in any detail, the Bideford, Westward Ho! & Appledore Railway, also had skirted locomotives (but not condensing equipment). The BWHAR did also operate close to the quayside, but it was still on a public highway. On the other hand, the Wantage Tramway, which also had roadside sections, had unskirted locomotives, so maybe the rules were very much on a local, case-by-case basis. (CJL)

• Like 1

The Ipswich Dock lines ones should have run with enclosed motion at all times, but sideskirts seem to have been an optional extra, even pre WW2....

attachicon.gifTram2.JPG

By the mid 1950's, photos show that Hunslet 0-6-0 diesels were running around the docks without any skirts/cowcatchers fitted - only the 3 Hunslet 0-4-0 diesels which replaced the tram locos carried these.

The last skirt/cowcatcher fitted locos (04 diesels) lost theirs in the early 1970's and all subsequent locos used up to the lines closing in the 1990's had no protection at all.

In the 1950's there was even this D.I.Y. 2-4-0T as well...!!!

attachicon.gif68211.JPG

Are there any photos of J70's on Ipswich dock with sideskirts and cowcatchers?

61658, there are a large number of photos of J70s at Colchester, I have posted some earlier in the thread, but a couple more below. I'm unsure of copyright

edit;  all the photos I have of trams at Colchester all face the same way, i.e. chimney towards Norwich, can't think why but must be deliberate. 

Regards

Paul

Thanks for that PaulG all of the other pictures I have seen are of 68226 the last one looks like it might be 68222 from the arrangement of the side plates as in other photos of that loco around 1953.

Cheers

Are there any photos of J70's on Ipswich dock with sideskirts and cowcatchers?

Only ones I have copies of in that condition are in GER days, one of those being the "bridge test" photo that was posted earlier in the thread. The other one is in the Lower Yard, rather than actually on the docks. All the LNER ones - none of which are dated, but are on the dockside lines themselves - have no skirts, just the cowcatchers.

At a guess, the one I posted above, which is crossing Bridge Street, looks early 1930's, as the trolleybus wires are still mounted on a former tramway traction pole and are the original "narrow gauge" (ie early) spacing of the contact wires as well.......

Reference my comment about chimney facing Norwich, the photo attached was taken at Ingatestone on the down loop, 14 September 1913 and shows 136 en-route to Colchester or beyond. I'm not sure how many miles per tank water/bunker coal a tram could do, but obviously it has been put into the loop to let a faster train pass. Photo by Ken Nunn/copyright LCGB

Of the four photos I posted above, the second photo of 68226 is post 1951, when the number was moved from between to above the buffers, Model Rail at present are not producing this version, which is the condition when withdrawn as the last member of the class. I think the third photo is also of 68226, but c1948 with British Railways on side. The last photo is I think of 68222, which in other photos I have taken at Colchester show her with full skirts, whereas I don't have any photos of 68226 at Colchester with side skirts/cow catcher.

Paul

post-665-0-58043300-1548435342_thumb.png

Edited by PaulG

Just see that Kernow have charged £127.50 to my card...…. does this mean that at least one of them is close to arrival...…..

Keith

I guess it means that MR-202 and 203 have reached Kernow. I haven't heard officially but I haven't been in the office since Wednesday. (CJL)

• Like 1

MR-202, 203, 206 and 207 are all marked with the green "in stock" tick on Model Rail's website at the moment - Hopefully shouldn't be long now!!

I was charged £127.50 when I first ordered and then refunded the amount a day later, despite not cancelling my order - is this normal as I haven't been charged the £127.50 again yet, as tetsudofan has. Just making sure that my order hasn't got messed up somehow. Cheers!

Just checked the site, so yeah, looks like MR-202 and 203 are in, along with 206 and 207, they all have the in stock check. So the others shouldn’t be that far away, the question is how long of a gap was there between the ship these were on and the ship with the other variants I presume is currently on its way to England?

Edited by SomethingTrainLover
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

MR-202, 203, 206 and 207 are all marked with the green "in stock" tick on Model Rail's website at the moment - Hopefully shouldn't be long now!!

I was charged £127.50 when I first ordered and then refunded the amount a day later, despite not cancelling my order - is this normal as I haven't been charged the £127.50 again yet, as tetsudofan has. Just making sure that my order hasn't got messed up somehow. Cheers!

That is Kernow's standard practice with advance orders. Just check your debit card has not expired and if it has give them a call in the morning.

That is Kernow's standard practice with advance orders. Just check your debit card has not expired and if it has give them a call in the morning.

Ah right, never pre-ordered from them before.

It doesn't expire for a few years yet so probably just not got around to my order yet - I'll check in the morning and if the money still hasn't come out I'll give em a call. Thanks!

• RMweb Gold

Just an update following my posting above and a subsequent conversation (about a different matter)  with Kernow. They were expecting a couple of the versions this/next week but they have not materialised as expected and they now expect delivery during the next couple of weeks or so.

So relax guys, Kernow have it under control and will be releasing the models as soon as they arrive, no need to phone Kernow just to find out where yours are...…. but I'm sure they would welcome a call or visit the website if you want to order more models..... as I'm thinking of doing.

Keith

• Like 1

A quick question.

My credit card expires end of March 2019 and a new one has been sent to me already. Will the renewal of my card affect my order of loco MR-205?

Possibly, yes, but Kernow will contact you if that is the case, and it's simple enough to resolve. You won't be left hanging without either getting the model or being given the opportunity to update your card details

Incidentally, now that these are close to delivery, I'm wondering how best I can get them on the layout without attracting the attention of my wife, who thinks I've been spending a bit too much on model railway stuff recently (and, to be fair, she's probably right). My first thought was never to actually run them while she's in the room, and if she comes in while they're static, to tell her that they're a pair of brake vans to go with the J15. But this may be scuppered by my children, who are likely to recognise them as Tobys and demand to have a go running them.

• Like 2