Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

17 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I've had my email from Kernow, but unfortuanately as my card failed (it was changed last week) it wouldn't process. They suggest a reorder, which is no problem, but I can't find my subscription number for the discount. Anyone know how to find this?

Stewart

My advice would be to search your inbox for the subscription receipt. Or if you don’t have an email, perhaps try calling Model Rail.

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I've had my email from Kernow, but unfortuanately as my card failed (it was changed last week) it wouldn't process. They suggest a reorder, which is no problem, but I can't find my subscription number for the discount. Anyone know how to find this?

Stewart

Kernow will be able to find it. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coline33 said:

Yes, John, you would have expected regulations to have been amended by the time the Drewrys were introduced but basically they were not and rules became interpreted locally and dare I say 'risk assessment' became the order of the day!   Amendment to tramway legislation, including the Highway Code, etc., did not come about until the 1980's in connection with the still required independent Acts of Parliament for light rail/ tram development.   Even the Transport & Works Act of the 1990s continues to incorporate features of the 1870 Tramways Act.   In discussion in 1998 with the original instructors of Croydon Tramlink there was the reminder that "no carriage on a tramway must move before a bell is rung"!!!   Fortunately, our drivers do use their discretion and are very safety conscience.   Kind regards, Colin Withey.

The Tramways Act 1870 is still in force. Some parts of it have been amended or repealed, but by no means all of it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/33-34/78/contents

That's partly what prompted my original question, because there's nothing in the Tramways Act which requires double-ended locos, not even at the time when the W&U was constructed. So it isn't, and never has been, a matter of legislation.

A bit more digging, though, suggests that it was the Board of Trade which imposed the requirement on the W&U. Since the BoT regulations don't have statutory force, they can be altered at will, and presumably already had been by the time the Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore line was built ten years after the W&U.

I suspect the Wantage Tramway avoided the regulations, as they applied at the time, by being initially horse-drawn, and only later adding steam traction.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

According to a friend of mine Tramway locos must be driven from the leading end, so the driver has a clear view. A single cabbed loco would have to be turned at the end of the line. A double ended loco gets around this.

Perhaps the driver's view from the Drewry's cab was considered good enough in both directions?

At present - and despite what the ad in the March Model Rail says - ONLY MR202, MR203, MR206 and MR207 are currently in stock at Kernow. Please do not contact them to check on your order as this is delaying the models being sent to you. You will be contacted when your order is ready to be dispatched. Kernow are currently saying that more time is being spent answering enquiiries than actually sending out orders! (CJL)

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, dibber25 said:

At present - and despite what the ad in the March Model Rail says - ONLY MR202, MR203, MR206 and MR207 are currently in stock at Kernow. Please do not contact them to check on your order as this is delaying the models being sent to you. You will be contacted when your order is ready to be dispatched. Kernow are currently saying that more time is being spent answering enquiiries than actually sending out orders! (CJL)

Thought I'd quote this as my post was perhaps a little mis-leading.

I had to call to update my card details so was told then.  I didn't call especially :P

But good advice (Y)

9 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Thought I'd quote this as my post was perhaps a little mis-leading.

I had to call to update my card details so was told then.  I didn't call especially :P

But good advice (Y)

Sorry, my post wasn't intended for you - it was merely co-incidence that Kernow asked us to post a message at that time. (CJL)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

That's a lot of additional detailing parts!

Am I right to assume that the shed plates are a set of alternatives, so you can choose which ones to fit?

If you want to be accurate to a particular loco at a particular time, you'll need pictures of your chosen prototype.

The BR shed code plates could be in several different places or not at all (mostly the latter, it seems).

The GER area code plates had often (but not always) gone missing by later LNER/BR times.

The builders plates were usually present right to the end but could be on the second or third plank.

The seat re-inforcing brackets could be two or three bolts, one or both sides or not at all.

You don't need to do anything with the window frames but if you want to fit open windows, the instruction book explains how to do it.

You have the choice of open or closed end doors, which you do have to fit yourself. The booklet explains how. The model looks much better with the doors on!

You can also change the cowcatchers, depending on whether or not you use tension-lock couplers.

It's all explained and illustrated in the instruction book. I fitted the parts and wrote the book, so if anyone has any queries, I'll be happy to try and answer them, either here or on our Facebook page. (CHRIS LEIGH)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Looks superb.  Rapido Pulls It Off, again!

Great choice of subject by Model Rail and I hope and expect it will do extremely well.

I am waiting to see if GE version(s) are announced in due course, which is the only reason I have yet to raid the piggy Bank.

Well done to all those concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes, James, it would be lovely to see a GER blue version eventually.

Chris Leigh - Yes, the extra bits in the little baggies really surpised me. You get:

Two sets of front and rear wooden access doors in the closed and open positions.

A pair of cosmetic screw couplings.

A pair of front and rear safety grills of prototypical shape to swap out the ones fitted on the model which have the cut-outs necessary for the NEM couplers.

Four safety chains and hooks.

Eight window frames so you can swap out the glazed ones (all of them if you like!) for slid-open windows. The instructions advise you need to source some 5 thou glazing sheet. None is supplied with the model.

Six different GER makers/number plates (in this version of the model they are 7126, 7128, 7129, 7131, 7137, 7139).

Four BR 32F shed plates.

Six "5" number plates.

Five 3-bolt iron straps.

Five 2-bolt iron straps (2- and 3-bolt plates are for the different external fixings of the internal cab seats where they were fixed to the body front and rear).

The brass etch is a bold move in an RTR model. Pretty sure I've never seen a manufacturer ever make this much effort to cater for the modeller who seeks a greater level of accuracy than the average customer. The out of the box owner can run the model as it is, but the more serious modeller can fit all the extra details in accordance with a photo of their particular prototype. You get a 17-page manual with very clear photos and instructions of how and where to fit all the brass plates and other parts. Rapido even suggest makes of ESU loksound decoders of European tram engines with bells that could be used as a basis of a sound set for the engine (no J70 sound set exists of course). And all this for a price not significantly different to many other RTR loco models from some competitors. We are lucky to enjoy our hobby in such enlightened times!

• Informative/Useful 5

11 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Yes, James, it would be lovely to see a GER blue version eventually.

Chris Leigh - Yes, the extra bits in the little baggies really surpised me. You get:

Two sets of front and rear wooden access doors in the closed and open positions.

A pair of cosmetic screw couplings.

A pair of front and rear safety grills of prototypical shape to swap out the ones fitted on the model which have the cut-outs necessary for the NEM couplers.

Four safety chains and hooks.

Eight window frames so you can swap out the glazed ones (all of them if you like!) for slid-open windows. The instructions advise you need to source some 5 thou glazing sheet. None is supplied with the model.

Six different GER makers/number plates (in this version of the model they are 7126, 7128, 7129, 7131, 7137, 7139).

Four BR 32F shed plates.

Six "5" number plates.

Five 3-bolt iron straps.

Five 2-bolt iron straps (2- and 3-bolt plates are for the different external fixings of the internal cab seats where they were fixed to the body front and rear).

The brass etch is a bold move in an RTR model. Pretty sure I've never seen a manufacturer ever make this much effort to cater for the modeller who seeks a greater level of accuracy than the average customer. The out of the box owner can run the model as it is, but the more serious modeller can fit all the extra details in accordance with a photo of their particular prototype. You get a 17-page manual with very clear photos and instructions of how and where to fit all the brass plates and other parts. Rapido even suggest makes of ESU loksound decoders of European tram engines with bells that could be used as a basis of a sound set for the engine (no J70 sound set exists of course). And all this for a price not significantly different to many other RTR loco models from some competitors. We are lucky to enjoy our hobby in such enlightened times!

Informative/useful and Agree!

• Agree 1