Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

58 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

All the 'J70s' have now arrived in stock at Kernow. Please be patient if you have one on order. (CJL)

Great to hear, Looking forward for my MR-201 as well. Knowning my luck, will arrive when away for B'day later in the week.

11 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Great to hear, Looking forward for my MR-201 as well. Knowning my luck, will arrive when away for B'day later in the week.

Will be a great present awaiting your return though! :dance_mini:

• RMweb Gold

They are simply exquisite, very many thanks to the Model Rail and Rapido teams for these little gems and to the team at Kernow for their rapid packing and despatch. They look and run beautifully. I have spent many happy hours recounting the stories about Toby, firstly to my children and now to my grandchild so although I have no layout set within 200 miles of East Anglia I had to buy two. They may very well be found running into Chard Joint Station at some point, with or without the approval of Mike Stationmaster (!), after all having had Andy York's APT-e running though when set up as part of the Taunton Modular layout anything goes!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here are some cruel close-ups of my weathering efforts on 8223 from the first batch, posed on my unfinished layout:IMG_3204.jpg.7cc802585d861abfece699ee390501c1.jpg  

IMG_3203.JPG.d0bb6ed50cbcf0f7030ac2a7029ee0eb.JPGIMG_3202.JPG.e0dbb4e3ff576dfaeb2ea0ce8052df2f.JPGIMG_3209.JPG.120071064aa9558265f50b5d590585a1.JPG 

It still needs lamps, crew, and one of the lamp irons straightening out - and also a bit of a brush to remove dust/fibres as its been sat on my modelling tray for a while!  

Method was similar to Alex's, I used Humbrol Smoke powders on the body, and dark earth on the skirts and cowcatchers.  

Looking forward to receiving my second one! I'm going to switch my pre-order to 68223 with BR lettering and renumber to 68217 as per this photo: 

68217 - Holden GER Class C53 LNER Class J70 0-6-0T - built 11/03 by Stratford Works as GER No.136 - 1924 to LNER No.7136, 05/46 to LNER No.8217, 09/49 to BR No.68217 - 03/53 withdrawn from 31B March - seen here at Wisbech East with a train for the Tramway, 08/50.

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Here are some cruel close-ups of my weathering efforts on 8223 from the first batch, posed on my unfinished layout:IMG_3204.jpg.7cc802585d861abfece699ee390501c1.jpg  

IMG_3203.JPG.d0bb6ed50cbcf0f7030ac2a7029ee0eb.JPGIMG_3202.JPG.e0dbb4e3ff576dfaeb2ea0ce8052df2f.JPGIMG_3209.JPG.120071064aa9558265f50b5d590585a1.JPG 

It still needs lamps, crew, and one of the lamp irons straightening out - and also a bit of a brush to remove dust/fibres as its been sat on my modelling tray for a while!  

Method was similar to Alex's, I used Humbrol Smoke powders on the body, and dark earth on the skirts and cowcatchers.  

Looking forward to receiving my second one! I'm going to switch my pre-order to 68223 with BR lettering and renumber to 68217 as per this photo: 

68217 - Holden GER Class C53 LNER Class J70 0-6-0T - built 11/03 by Stratford Works as GER No.136 - 1924 to LNER No.7136, 05/46 to LNER No.8217, 09/49 to BR No.68217 - 03/53 withdrawn from 31B March - seen here at Wisbech East with a train for the Tramway, 08/50.

Love that handbrake assembly you have added.   From what source did it come, please?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coline33 said:

Love that handbrake assembly you have added.   From what source did it come, please?

Well spotted - hate to break it to you, but it is a piece of coffee stirrer that fell in through the cab door. You've just reminded me to tweezer it out, thanks! :D

Edited by NXEA!
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Well spotted - hate to break it to you, but it is a piece of coffee stirrer that fell in through the cab door. You've just reminded me to tweezer it out, thanks! :D

Are you both talking about the same object?

In the photo in question, I see an open-framed handbrake(?) pillar with a somewhat simplified(?) S-shaped handle; to the right of which is a light-coloured object protruding from inside the enclosed body.

I'm guessing that the latter is the piece of coffee-stirrer, and that the handbrake(?) pillar is possibly missing from Coline33's model - if he has one?

On the other hand, I may be trolling a complete red herring !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Thanks, John, for your observation.   Trust you did not have too much of a battering in Cornwall this winter.   Chris, all my three have the factory fitted handles in both cabs.   If what was in the photo said to be a coffee stirrer then I saw good use for it on my narrow gauge freight wagons!   Colin.

I suspect many of us have seen this un-numbered 'shed' which appears to have come from repairs at the Carriage & Wagon Works en-route to the Loco Works for re-assembly.   I have assumed so may be wrong that this may have been taken in BR days.   If so, which loco was it?

It's shown as 1952, by which time J70s were being withdrawn. It looks to be in good order but I would have thought it unlikely that major shopping was taking place in 1952 as the diesel shunters took over later that year. The last J70 to work the W&U was 68222 in 1953, by which time three out of four of its end windows had replaced with white or unpainted frames, so this does not appear to be the body of 68222. Was the date given incorrect, or did this end up as a very substantial garden shed somewhere? (CJL)

Got mine today and a gorgeous little locomotive, Seems to run fine although squeaks a little, but hopefully will go away with a little running it.

Also took two photo's of the J70 next to what i got in Hamburg being a Roco BR85

Now to just get the DCC Decoder or be adventurous and follow the sound file example in the manual?

Chris

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

• Like 4

On 01/04/2019 at 16:15, coline33 said:

Yes, stated as "1952 at Stratford Works" but as you rightly say Chris, that year was the dawn of the diesels.   I have a suspicion that the body may have been for 68220.   

They still lasted another three years until Autumn 1955 and at least one got a repaint from BRITISH RAILWAYS to early crest during that time.

Can't remember which one though. One of the Colchester ones I think.

Jason