Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

On 14/06/2019 at 09:56, dibber25 said:

Oops, caught out! The article was a mixture of work that I did and work that George did. The figures went to George - I've never seem them, so you would need to e-mail him to ask, as he's not in the office at present and neither am I. As far as I know, they were specifically made for the J70 , so they would be 'OO'. (CJL)

Thanks, Chris.   George has confirmed that he used the OO version of the Hardy Hobbies loco crew.   So if anyone wants a slightly smaller version then the HO ones are also available from them.   Colin.

1 hour ago, scots region said:

anyone else having running issues? 

Only when trying to run the loco on an ECM feedback controller, the issue was known prior to purchasing the loco and discussed a long way up this thread!

Paul

7 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Only when trying to run the loco on an ECM feedback controller, the issue was known prior to purchasing the loco and discussed a long way up this thread!

Paul

Hi Paul, would that include the Gaugemaster Model D?

Edited by scots region

4 minutes ago, scots region said:

Hi Paul, would that include the Gaugemaster Model D?

I've replaced one of my ECM controllers with a Gaugemaster Model 100 Panel Controller and the loco works fine. I would guess the Model D is not a feedback controller; I had a quick look on Gaugemasters website and there's no reference to "feedback".

Paul

5 minutes ago, PaulG said:

I've replaced one of my ECM controllers with a Gaugemaster Model 100 Panel Controller and the loco works fine. I would guess the Model D is not a feedback controller; I had a quick look on Gaugemasters website and there's no reference to "feedback".

Paul

Well my one, already a replacement is running in a Jerking, oscillating motion, and has quite a loud grinding noise, though it was a little better when I tested it without the gaugemaster, it was still making the noise even after running in. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has been said in the other 40 pages of this thread, as you might expect  ;) 

The short answer is that the skirts can be removed, with care, but it's not intended that users will ever need to do so, and some of the details are, indeed, missing underneath. The skirted versions do not become an unskirted version simply by removing the skirts. This is because of the very fine tolerances involved; there simply isn't room to fit them all in beneath what is, of necessity, a skirt that is over-scale in thickness.

The cowcatchers on the partially skirted version are removable and interchangeable such that you can convert between partially skirted and unskirted versions. But you can't convert between fully skirted and either partially skirted or unskirted versions.

(I suppose that, in theory, you could remove the cowcatchers from a fully skirted version, leaving them with side skirts only. But I don't think they ever ran like that in real life - all the photographs I've seen show them either fully skirted, with cowcatchers only and no side skirts,  or fully unskirted all round.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ribird said:

This may have been said in the other 40 pages of this thread, but can the skirts be removed (if one would buy a skirted version?) If so, is there any details missing underneath?

The 'skirted' versions are missing the motion bracket and the expansion link on the valve gear as these cannot be accommodated behind the skirts without making the chassis over-wide. Skirts were only really obligatory on the Wisbech & Upwell tramway. J70s ran on the dock lines without skirts and even appeared (illegally) on the W&U without skirts on occasions. (CJL)

• Like 1

Just to add to my previous comments, there are three configurations that the J70s were known to run in on the W&U:

1. Fully skirted all round, with both side skirts and cowcatchers - the normal, and only approved, configuration for running on the W&U.

2. Completely unskirted, with both side skirts and cowcatchers removed - Officially, only when running light engine on the mainline (eg, to/from Stratford shed for maintenance). Unofficially, may have happened in service (although rarely).

3. Cowcatchers only, no side skirts - never an approved configuration at any time on the W&U. In practice, known to have happened, particularly later in life, presumably to aid maintenance on what was, by then, a rather aging fleet.

Dockside use would have been more varied, and all three variants are known to have been used. So, for a fictional dockside layout, you can make up your own rules and use any of the configurations as you wish. If you're modelling a real dockside location, then you'd need to research the actual practice which was applicable.

If you're modelling the W&U, then the fully skirted version should be the mainstay. But there's enough of a photographic record of cowcatcher-only configurations, at least towards the end of their life, for that to be a valid alternative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Chris JL, for your articles in Model Rail 263, on detailing 68217 and turning the Bachmann 'Mavis' into a Class 04 for W&U, to Chris Gadsby for his Masterclass on Class 04 diesels in general, and to George Dent for creating the skirted 04 for N-gauge.   What a useful, W&U inspired, edition this August, 2019 issue is, Colin.   

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I haven't got that far yet. I'm more flabbergasted by the announcement....

:swoon:

You mean the one that should be in the Heljan section? If no one posts it up by tomorrow, I hope the mods will let me do it. (CJL)

Jason

• 4 months later...
On 10/07/2019 at 13:22, coline33 said:

Thank you, Chris JL, for your articles in Model Rail 263, on detailing 68217 and turning the Bachmann 'Mavis' into a Class 04 for W&U, to Chris Gadsby for his Masterclass on Class 04 diesels in general, and to George Dent for creating the skirted 04 for N-gauge.   What a useful, W&U inspired, edition this August, 2019 issue is, Colin.   

I’m a little surprised no-one has covered how to turn the Bachmann Thomas range’s Henrietta into something a bit more detailed and authentic, given its the only semi-accurate passenger stock for these engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am aware that others have converted Henrietta and I was close to doing so!   CJL pointed out to me the dimensional differences to reproduce the prototype so I decided not to make the financial outlay as really I wanted to keep to the BR period.   I may in future return to passenger operation by returning a bogie coach from the K&T!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RateTheFreight said:

Afternoon all,

hopefully a quick one to answer. Will the J70 operate round 1st radius curves (either Bachman or Hornby)? 

thanks in advance.

Mine seems to go around then OK. 

• Informative/Useful 2

With Oxford Rail's 2020 announcement of a GER 10T Goods Van in all guises (Including GER), a few thoughts spring to mind:

This wagon will be really beneficial to anyone modelling the W&U or anyone who has previously purchased a J70.

The question of whether any thought been given to a second run of J70's, including at least one variant in GER colours? A short rake of GER vans screams out for a suitably liveried loco to haul them, after all! ;)

2 hours ago, jamesC37LG said:

With Oxford Rail's 2020 announcement of a GER 10T Goods Van in all guises (Including GER), a few thoughts spring to mind:

This wagon will be really beneficial to anyone modelling the W&U or anyone who has previously purchased a J70.

The question of whether any thought been given to a second run of J70's, including at least one variant in GER colours? A short rake of GER vans screams out for a suitably liveried loco to haul them, after all! ;)

At present there are no plans for a second run of 'J70s'. (CJL)