Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

68222 had both white*. I don't know whether it was the same at the other end. I think that was the one that sold out straight away.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php

*Or light colour. 

Jason

For a while 68222 (when in BR early crest livery) had one white* and one 'body-coloured' at the firebox end - see the cover of 'The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway' Gadsden, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker, Town & Country Press. It's a little book, only available secondhand. My copy still has its Cherry Hinton Library sticker in the front and seems to have last been borrowed in July 1992. I studied these locos in as much depth as one can through the 4 or 5 books that have been produced on the W&U. I reckon those wooden window frames probably rotted and were almost certainly mistreated as they were forever open to cool the cabs. It looks very much as if Wisbech depot's carpenter made them up and they could have been either bare wood, white paint or possibly the pink wood primer that was prevalent at the time. No genuine colour photo of a 'J70' has come to light so far, as far as I know, so it's a guessing game. The 'new' frames were also plain square-cut timber, whereas the original frames had chamfered edges and a shaped top. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2020 at 21:34, dibber25 said:

For a while 68222 (when in BR early crest livery) had one white* and one 'body-coloured' at the firebox end - see the cover of 'The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway' Gadsden, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker, Town & Country Press. It's a little book, only available secondhand. My copy still has its Cherry Hinton Library sticker in the front and seems to have last been borrowed in July 1992. I studied these locos in as much depth as one can through the 4 or 5 books that have been produced on the W&U. I reckon those wooden window frames probably rotted and were almost certainly mistreated as they were forever open to cool the cabs. It looks very much as if Wisbech depot's carpenter made them up and they could have been either bare wood, white paint or possibly the pink wood primer that was prevalent at the time. No genuine colour photo of a 'J70' has come to light so far, as far as I know, so it's a guessing game. The 'new' frames were also plain square-cut timber, whereas the original frames had chamfered edges and a shaped top. (CJL)

See here. 

Rob. 

20201211_121905-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 19:15, Steamport Southport said:

68222 had both white*. I don't know whether it was the same at the other end. I think that was the one that sold out straight away.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php

*Or light colour. 

Jason

Indeed 68222 did sell out, although Olivia's Trains stocks the J70s and across all variants has 55 currently in stock. This includes 5 of MR-202 (68222).

I don't know if they were supplied direct by Model Rail/Rapido. They are a higher price than from Model Rail, but you'd expect that whatever the source, as Olivia's tends to charge 'healthy prices' for most items.

The link is here https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/rapido/rapido-model-rail-j70-class/

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.37.48.png

Edited by Mel_H
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know if anyone has suggested as much, but I am in the process of commissioning a set of blue panels to go over the black to produce a GER livery. I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know the PMS (Pantone Matching System) numbers for both the blue and vermillion/red lining.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 13:07, friscopete said:

I dont have one of these but I did make a  brass 00 model up for a customer with a  Portescap motor and gibson wheels .It was the GER version and I seem to remeber making the GER blue panel by painting some decal sheet GER blue  ,lining and lettering it probably with HMRS  type sheets.i should think some enterprising type on here could  print some up and a complete side decal and making conversion easy .I leave it to the experts to pick my idea to bits but at least my customer was happy  .

Some enterprising type is doing just that. All I need is the PMS (Pantone Matching System) numbers for the blue and the vermillion/red lining.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 20:38, Mel_H said:

Indeed 68222 did sell out, although Olivia's Trains stocks the J70s and across all variants has 55 currently in stock. This includes 5 of MR-202 (68222).

I don't know if they were supplied direct by Model Rail/Rapido. They are a higher price than from Model Rail, but you'd expect that whatever the source, as Olivia's tends to charge 'healthy prices' for most items.

The link is here https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/rapido/rapido-model-rail-j70-class/

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.37.48.png

Any Model Rail exclusives sold by retailers will have been purchased through Model Rail, not direct from Rapido. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, James J said:

Just wondering- based on looks alone, do people prefer the model skirted or unskirted?

I have one of each and the skirted one is how I think the J70 should be but being able to see the motion is rather nice so I am very undecided on which is better. Fact is I think they are both great and if I could get away with it would have two more, one skirted and one unskirted, but I think my life expectancy with SWMBO would be very short! 

• Agree 1

I have all three BR J70s,   I do have a preference for the two skirted ones for prototypical W&U operation.   Fortunately, there are those few occasions when a non-skirted J70 ran over the W&U so it makes for a nice change to see the motion.   So really I am undecided!!!

On 28/01/2021 at 13:12, EHertsGER said:

Some enterprising type is doing just that. All I need is the PMS (Pantone Matching System) numbers for the blue and the vermillion/red lining.

The panels have been ordered from Fox and should be ready in about 90:days (they are very busy, which is good). I’ll keep you posted...

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if we might finally see one in GER livery in the event Rapido includes a W&UT coach in it's Titfield range.  Waiting to get through the existing10 very similar versions, I accept, might take a long time, but one lives in hope!

• Agree 1

On 10/02/2021 at 23:02, James J said:

Just wondering- based on looks alone, do people prefer the model skirted or unskirted?

I chose unskirted specifically because I thought the motion and wheels were too well detailed to have covered up. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely prefer the skirted types. Gives the impression of a tongue and groove Dalek gliding about the place. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I bought the skirted, although one of the side plates was lose so I could have taken it off to see the motion.

I think the skirted versions have a simplified motion..

• Agree 2

On 13/03/2021 at 02:05, Edwardian said:

I wonder if we might finally see one in GER livery in the event Rapido includes a W&UT coach in it's Titfield range.  Waiting to get through the existing10 very similar versions, I accept, might take a long time, but one lives in hope!

See my comment on transfers ordered from Fox - one Y6 and one J70 per each set of blue panels.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

See my comment on transfers ordered from Fox - one Y6 and one J70 per each set of blue panels.

Thanks, that is of interest. Are these going to be made available, either by you or via Fox? 

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, that is of interest. Are these going to be made available, either by you or via Fox? 

I will certainly have some available - I think there has to be about a dozen printed as a minimum. I don’t know if Fox will pick them up as a regular part of their range. Of course, I will be passing on those I don’t use - I’ve pretty much promised to do so by mentioning it here! 

1 minute ago, EHertsGER said:

I will certainly have some available - I think there has to be about a dozen printed as a minimum. I don’t know if Fox will pick them up as a regular part of their range. Of course, I will be passing on those I don’t use - I’ve pretty much promised to do so by mentioning it here! 

Thank you.

I have bought GER wagon transfers from you in the past, so would be happy to buy 2-3 sets if possible.

I have - for a while now - been considering doing a repaint of a J70 into GER as a Model Rail project. If the transfers are to be commercially available  then it would make sense for me to use them and publicise them too. I haven't researched it but I understand there were two GER liveries - one with dark blue and the other with grey and red? (CJL)

• Agree 1