Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Wanted to post an update, and thanks again to NHY 581 for the guidance.

The photos helped a lot but I didn't notice the inner tabs that hook into the chassis block. So to anyone else trying this, try your best to pull up AND OUT to take the shell off.

Metal was very easy to drill a hole through in the boiler. The stay alive does block the view through the rear window but with how dark it is in there it looks like a bit of the boiler in person.

Train is back together and running, although I still need to program the decoder to let it know it has a stay alive now. The ESU instructions say to change CV 323 for this decoder, but decoder pro doesn't list the CV's that high. So a little lost there but I'll ask over on the proper channel. 

Thanks again all!

20231227_173240.jpg

20231227_173315.jpg

20231227_173615.jpg

20231227_174346.jpg

20231228_063145.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a further teaser for the benefits of joining the GER Society, Journal 197 January 2024 includes an extensive article by Lyn D Brooks, Locomotive Co-ordinator, detailing the G15 (Y6) and C53 (J70) Tram engines: CADs, exploded illustrations of the major components, and extensive photographs as well as the text, 18 pages in all. Only available to members owing to copyright restrictions on photograph reproductions.

Membership (gersociety.org.uk)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I’m thinking of getting 2 of these locos, does both MR-203 and 204 come with skirts and what DCC interface do they have? Originally they have 6 pin? And the newer locos have next18? Looking to fit a sound chip eventually! I’m also loving the weathering, don’t know if I can do that! 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

I’m thinking of getting 2 of these locos, does both MR-203 and 204 come with skirts and what DCC interface do they have? Originally they have 6 pin? And the newer locos have next18? Looking to fit a sound chip eventually! I’m also loving the weathering, don’t know if I can do that! 

Morning, 

Neither MR-203 or MR-204 come with skirts. The prototype 68225 and 68226 ran as per and although the Wisbech and Upwell required the motion to be covered, 68225 was a regular on the W&U. 

The only skirted examples produced by Model Rail/ Rapido in BR livery were MR-202 or MR-205 and these have long since sold out. 

The other regular skirted example in BR days on the W&U was 68217 but this had minor detail differences to the ends which I believe isn't catered for by the existing tooling. 

All of the original batch produced by Rapido for Model Rail have a six pin decoder and it's only the recent GER locos produced by Rapido for themselves which have a next 18 decoder. 

Possibly there will be another run of BR J70s in the future but not sure if these would come from Model Rail or Rapido themselves. Model Rail have recently commisioned the Class 11 and the PWM shunters from Heljan and have the Vale of Reidol tank engines seemingly coming next so they seem quite busy.

So who knows when or from whom any further releases if any, will emerge from but for now, I believe there are no plans for further batches. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning, 

Neither MR-203 or MR-204 come with skirts. The prototype 68225 and 68226 ran as per and although the Wisbech and Upwell required the motion to be covered, 68225 was a regular on the W&U. 

The only skirted examples produced by Model Rail/ Rapido in BR livery were MR-202 or MR-205 and these have long since sold out. 

The other regular skirted example in BR days on the W&U was 68217 but this had minor detail differences to the ends which I believe isn't catered for by the existing tooling. 

All of the original batch produced by Rapido for Model Rail have a six pin decoder and it's only the recent GER locos produced by Rapido for themselves which have a next 18 decoder. 

Possibly there will be another run of BR J70s in the future but not sure if these would come from Model Rail or Rapido themselves. Model Rail have recently commisioned the Class 11 and the PWM shunters from Heljan and have the Vale of Reidol tank engines seemingly coming next so they seem quite busy.

So who knows when or from whom any further releases if any, will emerge from but for now, I believe there are no plans for further batches. 

Rob. 

Many thanks for this. I’ve ordered KMR-203 from kernow model railway, I’m also intending fitting sound eventually, any chance of a close up of the chassis? Do these have a speaker already fitted? 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Many thanks for this. I’ve ordered KMR-203 from kernow model railway, I’m also intending fitting sound eventually, any chance of a close up of the chassis? Do these have a speaker already fitted? 

Youchoos have an installation guide (with pictures) for the Model Rail J70 that should answer your questions:  

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OOMRJ70-MS

Al

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rorz101uk said:

I believe Digitrains do the sound file etc for Rapido. The J70s do not have a speaker fitted though the housing is already in place. 

Pretty certain @Gilbert, aka Chris Hopper has had a J70 or two done by them and they sound great, as do the factory jobs. 

Happy to be corrected on any of the above. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

Keep an eye on our website in the coming weeks. We plan to offer our sound file, decoder and the new PCB needed up upgrade the Model Rail versions as a product shortly…

Well, that's good news. Thanks Andy. 

That's three lined up for Ewe. 

Rob

3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Keep an eye on our website in the coming weeks. We plan to offer our sound file, decoder and the new PCB needed up upgrade the Model Rail versions as a product shortly…

Great idea, shame it’s not plug in, I’d take it, it will have to be soldered on the PCB? will there be any more liveries in the coming years? 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Great idea, shame it’s not plug in, I’d take it, it will have to be soldered on the PCB? will there be any more liveries in the coming years? 

Are there any that haven't been done yet? Numbers could be different but struggling to think of any liveries not catered for yet. Except Toby of course which would need licencing.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I believe Digitrains do the sound file etc for Rapido. The J70s do not have a speaker fitted though the housing is already in place. 

Pretty certain @Gilbert, aka Chris Hopper has had a J70 or two done by them and they sound great, as do the factory jobs. 

Happy to be corrected on any of the above. 

Rob

Mine had the speaker in the housing, but the wires weren't soldered to the PCB.

IMG_5121.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Glad I saw this. I am in the process of gradually buying sound decoders for my non-fitted locomotives. Now I know to wait. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rorz101uk said:

I think there's a variation to the post 1919 livery with large numerals on the sides but as @Bucoops says, pretty much everything else has been done. I can knly think of 68217 as I mentioned before plus a potential renumbering of the LNER examples. 

Maybe 68219, another skirt free example ? 

But as these are commisions by Model Rail any further production has to be authorised by them. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Many thanks, as the new J70s have got the new PCB, has any one please of the next 18 interface? I see some have fitted a stay live, could this be added to PCB @rapidoandy

I've mentioned upthread, in my opinion a stay alive is not needed. Mine are used on an exhibition layout that requires excellent slow running. They're not found wanting and I do object to the look of a stay alive through the windows. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1