Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Hi Chris, Would the J70 be suitable down to 1st radius curves, got some quite tight curves on my China Clay branch were I could image 'a J70 fitting in nicely following a transfer at the closure of Wishech'. Regards, Lee

Nice thought, Lee, for a 1960's trial but at that time diesels would have been in mind.   Maybe a postwar loan by LNER/BR would suffice if you are into that era.   However, you could take yourself back to the 1930's and let your clay company loan an LNER J70 for trials after the GWR Sentinel trials in Cornwall/Devon failed to impress.   For my china clay workings I do use a Model Rail Sentinel.   I very much hope the J70 will take 1st radius curves for dock operations.   Regards, Colin.   

• Like 1

Rather excited now it's getting closer to release - have there been any more updates on when we can expect the first batch at all? Cheers!

No, we don't really get progress reports during transit. The next we're likely to hear is when they arrive in the Royal Duchy. (CJL)

• Like 1

Colin, do you want me to produce some 1st radius inset track?

Could be handy for fantasies with the Hornby Ruston as well. The NMRA Pacific Coast Region has started a 1 foot square challenge layout competition.  Too late for this year but next year......with that Ruston or the "Toby" or both so no run around required......

Colin, do you want me to produce some 1st radius inset track?

Simon, I was thinking only in terms of open track that was readily available RTR.   You have raised an opportunity for those requiring paved track so I would appeal for this forum to be used to gauge the market for it.  Personally, my J70 will be for W&U style operation only.   For those interested in quayside operation of docks remember that Hornby's Peckett W4 as PLA 74 is due to be released this April and that too should be ideal on 1st radius track.   Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, I had already done a version for 1st radius, as I needed one myself, but it was bigger scale. Easy enough to change size of stone setts, and I have also started what I call a slimmed down version which only has the stones between the rails , making it easier to match up with stones outside the rails, and about 25% cheaper. As my computer was objecting to the rounded stones I was using, I have also simplified design on new ones, 4 sides to each stone, instead of 8, and you can't notice the difference. Even with my more powerful laptop, I think W10 takes a lot of the power, so I am having to look at ways of simplifying designs.

Hopefully the new loco will encourage more to build eithe roadside or dockside layouts. Talking of which, I have just completed the GER 4 door sundry van which was converted for use as a fruit traffic office van.

Thinking of ability to go round R1 curves,  think the problem(if there is one) will be the rods and valve gear,as this was the problem many years ago when Replica/Bachmann introduced their B1 and V1/3 locos. The old R1 Peco curved points were superb, and very useful, but for some reason(detail purists!) there was a trend towards making R2 the minmum radius.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Simon, we in the PLA were very staff safety aware and Mowlems infilled the tracks with concrete so all surfaces were smooth.   Also the smooth surfaces reduced the chance of damage to wheeled cargo passing across.   I see many model quaysides with cobbled setts which look very attractive to a model but in reality they are a danger in an intensively worked cargo handling area.

Model Rail 257 just received illustrating small very attractive layouts by Chris Nevard and Peter Marriott using J70s.   Colin.

Colin, looking at photos of docks such as Liverpool,and quite a lot of that was still cobbled in the 50s. Might be in areas which were not so busy though.Any area which was modified would have been tarmaced or just concrete.  I have versions without cobbles, and an even more basic version with just the surrounds for the rail , andthe inside edge, so all you have to do is fill up with what ever you want .

No, we don't really get progress reports during transit. The next we're likely to hear is when they arrive in the Royal Duchy. (CJL)

For a while the name of the ship that was carrying the consignment was published.  It was interesting to follow it, and gave a fairly good indication of when it would arrive. 

Simon, we in the PLA were very staff safety aware and Mowlems infilled the tracks with concrete so all surfaces were smooth.   Also the smooth surfaces reduced the chance of damage to wheeled cargo passing across.   I see many model quaysides with cobbled setts which look very attractive to a model but in reality they are a danger in an intensively worked cargo handling area.

Model Rail 257 just received illustrating small very attractive layouts by Chris Nevard and Peter Marriott using J70s.   Colin.

But at the time that the 'Trams' and 'Sentinels' were in revenue service the quaysides were in general cobbled or laid with setts or wooden blocks. I've read that the unevenness of the surface helped shod horses get a grip...

But at the time that the 'Trams' and 'Sentinels' were in revenue service the quaysides were in general cobbled or laid with setts or wooden blocks. I've read that the unevenness of the surface helped shod horses get a grip...

When the motor lory came along, I think they prefered nice flat surfaces to run on. Also concrete was becoming used a lot more. Any docks either built or heavily modified , certainly from 1940s, possibly even going back to start of the century, would have been concrete surface.

While reading the latest Model Rail I noticed the J70 being used in the issue (both on the cover and in the articles) was one of the models with BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering and partial skirts, but I cant find this option available on the order page. The only BRITISH RAILWAYS ones have either no skirts or full skirts, so was this one mocked up for the pictures or am I being stupid?

Its MR-204 No 68226, British Railways lettering, no skirts. 

• RMweb Premium

In that case then I wonder if even the ones that have no skirts come with the "filled in" cowcatchers? I'm still slightly confused.... :D

Your terminology isn't helping the confusion. What do you mean by 'partial skirts' and 'filled in cowcatcher' ?

As I see it the models come either with or without side skirts, depending on the model number. All of them come with two sets of cowcatchers, with and without NEM362 sockets.

The one in the magazine (68226) has no side skirts, and is fitted with the cowcatchers without sockets.

As I understand it, there are three variants of the skirts:

Full skirts - both side skirts and cowcatchers

Partial skirts - cowcatchers only, no side skirts

No skirts - neither cowcatchers no side skirts

Both the full and partial skirt versions will come with two sets of interchangeable cowcatchers: with holes for NEM couplers, and without holes (for those who want a more realistic appearance).

Given that this means the cowcatchers must be removable, you might ask why bother with a "no skirts" version at all, since you could just remove the cowcatchers from a partial skirts version. But I presume that removable cowcatchers requires a mounting point that would be clearly visible without one or other set of cowcatchers attached. Having a realistic model without any cowcatchers requires the ends to be fully modelled, and that doesn't leave room for a socket you can plug a cowcatcher into.

As I understand it, there are three variants of the skirts:

Full skirts - both side skirts and cowcatchers

Partial skirts - cowcatchers only, no side skirts

No skirts - neither cowcatchers no side skirts

Both the full and partial skirt versions will come with two sets of interchangeable cowcatchers: with holes for NEM couplers, and without holes (for those who want a more realistic appearance).

Given that this means the cowcatchers must be removable, you might ask why bother with a "no skirts" version at all, since you could just remove the cowcatchers from a partial skirts version. But I presume that removable cowcatchers requires a mounting point that would be clearly visible without one or other set of cowcatchers attached. Having a realistic model without any cowcatchers requires the ends to be fully modelled, and that doesn't leave room for a socket you can plug a cowcatcher into.

Each model is based on a specific photograph. In general terms, when used on the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway they were required to run with cowcatchers and full side skirts (though 68225 appears in photos on the tramway with cowcatchers and no side skirts in the early 1950s). Those used on the dock lines seem generally to have run with cowcatchers but NO side skirts. When running on the main line (to access Stratford Works) they had the side skirts AND the cowcatchers removed. On the model, the cowcatchers clip into two square holes in the underside of the buffer beam. They are easy to clip on or unclip and the holes are not visible unless you turn the model upside down.  In short, the cowcatchers can be fitted to all models. The side skirts are also removable but those models supplied WITH side skirts do not have the expansion link and the motion bracket on the valve gear as there is insufficient space. Those supplied without side skirts DO have the motion bracket and expansion link. All models come with some customer-fit parts including optional open/closed end doors, etched window frames (for those who wish to replace the fitted windows with open ones) optional coupling safety chains, number/allocation plates and seat bracket reinforcements to fit if appropriate. Two versions of cowcatcher are supplied - one to suit tension-lock couplers and one to suit scale screw couplings. (CJL) 

Edited by dibber25

A quick question.

My credit card expires end of March 2019 and a new one has been sent to me already. Will the renewal of my card affect my order of loco MR-205?[/quote

It will delay the processing of your order, if the new card has replaced the one notified to Model Rail Offers. Kernow Model Railways manage the Model Rail models payment and distribution, and you can't update your account on line, so suggest give them a ring to get your credit card details updated. I had to do this last month and they did both my Kernow account and Model Rail account from the one call.