Users may see some delays in page loading whilst https protocols are implemented and worked around. We are monitoring this during peak periods. Thanks for your patience.

Photo

Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

• Please log in to reply
668 replies to this topic

#626 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:15

So they shouldnt have bothered, and left the Cockerill to go the same way as SNCB 44.021 Caley Goods lookalike instead ?

And what about 32424 ? - its hardly an original LBSC boiler...
And 73096.. its tender isnt BR standard, its just pretending,

Or kept it as a Cockerill...

As for the rest of it. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Jason

#627 adb968008

adb968008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:16

Or kept it as a Cockerill...

As for the rest of it. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Jason

Because your yardstick only selectively applies or some other reason ?

The superbly restored NER railcar only came about because of a Caterpillar engines, its not got its original 1900’s petrol engine...

I am Just trying to understand your motivations ?

Edited by adb968008, 10 December 2018 - 16:26 .

#628 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:25

Because your yardstick only selectively applies or some other reason ?

Because you are just twisting things for some strange reason.

I'm off to talk to some adults.

Jason

#629 adb968008

adb968008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:31

Because you are just twisting things for some strange reason.

I'm off to talk to some adults.

Jason

Meanwhile back to the J70.. in model form,
my best of luck to those trying to build a replica, to give those who have never seen one, the sense of what it looked like, even if they are apparently deceased I do not feel its appropriate to belittle or make fun of their efforts.

There aim is noble, its not a plan to make a thomas character, it will add value to the preservation movement and it saved a loco from scrap overseas, even if the recreation isnt 100% using original parts and drawings, its their loco, their money so their choice what to do with it, if they dont want to restore it as a cockerill..its their choice.
We dont have a wisbeach tram in the movement, they are doing more about it, than apparently you or I.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Edited by adb968008, 10 December 2018 - 16:41 .

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#630 Norton Wood

Norton Wood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location32A

Posted 10 December 2018 - 17:39

Further photo's of the Model at the Peterborough Model Show.

Have to say that the first photo of the 'completed' model is simply amazing.

Chris Leigh, can I say thank you for the brief conversation we had at the show, you were very very helpful and I look forward to this when it comes out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5802.JPG
  • IMG_5799.JPG
  • IMG_5798.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood, 10 December 2018 - 18:06 .

• Like x 12
  • Thanks x 1

#631 The Midland Mole

The Midland Mole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRural-ish Worcestershire

Posted 10 December 2018 - 17:43

Oh they look so good!

- Alex

• Agree x 2

#632 SomethingTrainLover

SomethingTrainLover

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 December 2018 - 18:11

On the replica J70, it’s more of a Y6 given the basis. And there has been process on it, from what I’ve heard the owner is waiting to get approval for modifications that need to be done to make to drivable from both ends. It’s not meant to be a full on new build, but a replica that just looks like a Y6, don’t see anything wrong with that, it is a replica outwardly.
Anyway, finally preordeed mine, I expect the current release date is early 2019 at this point?
  • Like x 1

#633 dibber25

dibber25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:19

'J70' update: All being well, MR-202s and MR-203s should leave the factory next week! The remaining eight versions should ship early January. (CJL)

• Like x 10
  • Informative/Useful x 3
  • Thanks x 1

#634 Corbs

Corbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 20:55

I have to say I'm amazed how quickly this has gone from announcement to production.

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#635 Norton Wood

Norton Wood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location32A

Posted 14 December 2018 - 19:14

I have to say I'm amazed how quickly this has gone from announcement to production.

With you having said that, I thought I'd look through my photo's from previous Warley shows, 2016 MR Mag was gauging interest, 2017 MR had produced this (Image) and now in 2018 we have fully painted versions. It's been great following the progress of this project

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood, 14 December 2018 - 19:17 .

• Like x 2

#636 MarkSG

MarkSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationVale of Evesham

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:33

This is currently exercising our minds over on Facebook. Can anyone identify where this photo was taken?

https://railway-phot...gines/i-jwMq2Q6

#637 Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:17

This is currently exercising our minds over on Facebook. Can anyone identify where this photo was taken?

https://railway-phot...gines/i-jwMq2Q6

The (Ransomes & Rapier built) swing bridge over the new entrance lock to Ipswich Wet Dock - constructed in 1903. I believe it was being weight tested, hence the two locos.

I'd already answered that one on the Dimmerspam post on the National Preservation Forum!!!   One of the others appears to be Gt Yarmouth - the one with the Lacons brewery store in the background.

Edit - The same bridge, 87 years later......

90-004.JPG

Edited by Johann Marsbar, 16 December 2018 - 18:42 .

• Informative/Useful x 2

#638 Tramshed

Tramshed

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:31

The (Ransomes & Rapier built) swing bridge over the new entrance lock to Ipswich Wet Dock - constructed in 1903. I believe it was being weight tested, hence the two locos.

I'd already answered that one on the Dimmerspam post on the National Preservation Forum!!!   One of the others appears to be Gt Yarmouth - the one with the Lacons brewery store in the background.

Edit - The same bridge, 87 years later......

attachicon.gif90-004.JPG

This is a bit of a puzzle. Lets start with what we can agree on. The engines in the B&W photo are not Y6 but J70 as YS never carried numbers 136 & 135 and only 126 of the class was ever based in Ipswich but was renumbered 07126 on 29/2/24.

Now we come to the question of when the bridge was constructed. It does not feature in the 1904 maps of Ipswich even though these show what appears to be a 'pit' next to the dock ready for it's later addition. The Act authorising teh construction of the bridge over the lock was passed in 1913 with a 10 year expiry limit (to 1923). Due to the outbreak of WW! this act was amended in 1918 by which time it would have been apparent that the 1913 act deadline would not be met so the expiry moved to (say) 1928. I am indebted to the Ipswich maritime trust for a photograph dated 17/2/25 showing the line over the lock under construction. What we can also be sure about is that the bridge constructed at this time was NOT the one shown in the colour photo since this was constructed in 1947, possibly stronger than the original and 1947 was about the time that Cliff Quay power station was built.

The locos are a bit of a mystery though as searching the Yeadon registers reveals that 135 and 136 were never allocated to the same shed. only 135, 139 and 129 were allocated to Ipswich before they would have lost their GE number plates in 1926 and even then 129 was moved elsewhere between 13/5 and 20/11 1925.

#639 Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:56

This is a bit of a puzzle. Lets start with what we can agree on. The engines in the B&W photo are not Y6 but J70 as YS never carried numbers 136 & 135 and only 126 of the class was ever based in Ipswich but was renumbered 07126 on 29/2/24.

Now we come to the question of when the bridge was constructed. It does not feature in the 1904 maps of Ipswich even though these show what appears to be a 'pit' next to the dock ready for it's later addition. The Act authorising teh construction of the bridge over the lock was passed in 1913 with a 10 year expiry limit (to 1923). Due to the outbreak of WW! this act was amended in 1918 by which time it would have been apparent that the 1913 act deadline would not be met so the expiry moved to (say) 1928. I am indebted to the Ipswich maritime trust for a photograph dated 17/2/25 showing the line over the lock under construction. What we can also be sure about is that the bridge constructed at this time was NOT the one shown in the colour photo since this was constructed in 1947, possibly stronger than the original and 1947 was about the time that Cliff Quay power station was built.

The locos are a bit of a mystery though as searching the Yeadon registers reveals that 135 and 136 were never allocated to the same shed. only 135, 139 and 129 were allocated to Ipswich before they would have lost their GE number plates in 1926 and even then 129 was moved elsewhere between 13/5 and 20/11 1925.

I've just dug out my copy of Ipswich Engines and Ipswich Men, by Freestone/Smith and that gives the opening date of the original swing bridge of 1904. The replacement swing bridge was constructed in 1949, also according to that book.

Given the amount of research that Richard Smith did on the docks area during his life, I'm hoping his dates can be relied on!

Nothing has really been written about the docks network in Ipswich, apart from two pages in that (limited edition) publication, though it may have been covered in the even more limited publication he produced about the dockside industries. I never even saw a copy of that one..........

#640 SomethingTrainLover

SomethingTrainLover

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2018 - 15:42

The rest of the J70s still on track for shipping in early January? Very excited for mine
  • Like x 1

#641 leeadavo

leeadavo

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:33

Hi Chris, Would the J70 be suitable down to 1st radius curves, got some quite tight curves on my China Clay branch were I could image 'a J70 fitting in nicely following a transfer at the closure of Wishech'. Regards, Lee

#642 coline33

coline33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:53

Hi Chris, Would the J70 be suitable down to 1st radius curves, got some quite tight curves on my China Clay branch were I could image 'a J70 fitting in nicely following a transfer at the closure of Wishech'. Regards, Lee

Nice thought, Lee, for a 1960's trial but at that time diesels would have been in mind.   Maybe a postwar loan by LNER/BR would suffice if you are into that era.   However, you could take yourself back to the 1930's and let your clay company loan an LNER J70 for trials after the GWR Sentinel trials in Cornwall/Devon failed to impress.   For my china clay workings I do use a Model Rail Sentinel.   I very much hope the J70 will take 1st radius curves for dock operations.   Regards, Colin.   

• Like x 1

#643 dibber25

dibber25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 18:03

I have a J70 here, but no 15in radius curves on which to test it. If it's any help, the fixed wheelbase is just 28mm. (CJL)

• Like x 3

#644 ExplosiveCookie

ExplosiveCookie

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationPreston, Tywyn or somewhere inbetween!

Posted 10 January 2019 - 13:41

Rather excited now it's getting closer to release - have there been any more updates on when we can expect the first batch at all? Cheers!

#645 dibber25

dibber25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:04

Rather excited now it's getting closer to release - have there been any more updates on when we can expect the first batch at all? Cheers!

No, we don't really get progress reports during transit. The next we're likely to hear is when they arrive in the Royal Duchy. (CJL)

• Like x 1

#646 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationLancashire and sometimes France

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:48

I very much hope the J70 will take 1st radius curves for dock operations.

Colin, do you want me to produce some 1st radius inset track?

#647 autocoach

autocoach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationFar Far to the west of the Scilly Isles-Walnut Creek California

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:32

Could be handy for fantasies with the Hornby Ruston as well. The NMRA Pacific Coast Region has started a 1 foot square challenge layout competition.  Too late for this year but next year......with that Ruston or the "Toby" or both so no run around required......

#648 coline33

coline33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:58

Simon, I was thinking only in terms of open track that was readily available RTR.   You have raised an opportunity for those requiring paved track so I would appeal for this forum to be used to gauge the market for it.  Personally, my J70 will be for W&U style operation only.   For those interested in quayside operation of docks remember that Hornby's Peckett W4 as PLA 74 is due to be released this April and that too should be ideal on 1st radius track.   Kind regards, Colin.

#649 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationLancashire and sometimes France

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:27

Colin, I had already done a version for 1st radius, as I needed one myself, but it was bigger scale. Easy enough to change size of stone setts, and I have also started what I call a slimmed down version which only has the stones between the rails , making it easier to match up with stones outside the rails, and about 25% cheaper. As my computer was objecting to the rounded stones I was using, I have also simplified design on new ones, 4 sides to each stone, instead of 8, and you can't notice the difference. Even with my more powerful laptop, I think W10 takes a lot of the power, so I am having to look at ways of simplifying designs.

Hopefully the new loco will encourage more to build eithe roadside or dockside layouts. Talking of which, I have just completed the GER 4 door sundry van which was converted for use as a fruit traffic office van.

Thinking of ability to go round R1 curves,  think the problem(if there is one) will be the rods and valve gear,as this was the problem many years ago when Replica/Bachmann introduced their B1 and V1/3 locos. The old R1 Peco curved points were superb, and very useful, but for some reason(detail purists!) there was a trend towards making R2 the minmum radius.

Edited by rue_d_etropal, 14 January 2019 - 14:06 .

#650 coline33

coline33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 14:22

Simon, we in the PLA were very staff safety aware and Mowlems infilled the tracks with concrete so all surfaces were smooth.   Also the smooth surfaces reduced the chance of damage to wheeled cargo passing across.   I see many model quaysides with cobbled setts which look very attractive to a model but in reality they are a danger in an intensively worked cargo handling area.

Model Rail 257 just received illustrating small very attractive layouts by Chris Nevard and Peter Marriott using J70s.   Colin.