Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Those photos seem to confirm what I thought.  Doors would usually be closed when running.

Normally, yes, but there are photos showing them open when running. (There's a really good one in The Wisbech and Upwell Centenary Album, referred to previously in this thread). So having the ability to open them, if it can be done without compromising the overall appearance, is helpful.

One of the downsides of modelling the W&U is that there's very little variation in motive power and rolling stock (at least, not without considerable application of modeller's licence). But one subtle way of achieving variation is to be able to adjust visual details in between different appearances of the same loco from the fiddle yard. Sending it in with the doors open - or half open - every now and then would be quite a neat trick on an exhibition layout.

We need to be quite clear about the models illustrated so far. They are engineering prototypes designed to assess the performance and the ease of assembly of the parts. They do not represent any individual models and they may well have parts from several different J70 versions. (we have to check the fit of parts for several different models on just two samples). Some, for instance have a spark arrestor. This was fitted but it has since been taken off again. it will be included in appropriate models. Initial experience with EP1 showed that the top speed was too high and EP2 has revised gearing. Rapido picked this up when they tested the model.

As to the detail, the bodies of these locomotives were hand-assembled by carpenters. Study of every photograph we can lay hands on has shown that detail of the wooden bodies varied - door bump stops, for instance were sometimes on the third plank, sometimes on the second, and in one case on one of each! Some of these tiny details will need to be standardized on the model. All matters of detail accuracy will be down to Model Rail - Rapido have no J70 knowledge and will simply follow the information we supply. 

The EP also allows us to develop the model as we go. For instance, we asked for loose doors and windows to be fitted by the modeler, either open or closed. We were initially told that the windows would need to be fixed. However, the second EP has loose windows to be  fitted, open or closed, by the modeler, and this MAY indeed, be possible on the finished model. 

However, with reference to the comments above about the doors, these were never intended to be hinged. They are likely to be loose, to be fitted by the modeler either open or closed.

Photographs show that the locomotives usually ran with the leading end doors open as the cramped cab could, no doubt, get very hot. For modelers, this is helpful as it allows more of the footplate detail to be seen. 

So, at the moment, loose doors and windows but that could change as the development progresses. Also, as intended at present, two sets of cowcatchers - one with an NEM pocket cut-out and the other as per prototype for screw coupling. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

As for my opinion, what promise. I will have to fit screwlink couplers, because let's face it a ruddy great hole through the cowcatcher isn't right at all...

Actually, being the nutcases that we are, we designed and tooled two pilots. One with the ruddy great hole and one without. The one without will be in the box for you to fit. 

Bill

post-10397-0-29945000-1511812918_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Actually, being the nutcases that we are, we designed and tooled two pilots. One with the ruddy great hole and one without. The one without will be in the box for you to fit. 

Bill

So there will be a hole in the box (for those who want to fit it! :)

Hope nothing falls out. :)

Afternoon all, silly question time;

Are these locos going to be classed as 'DCC ready' or will they need work to enable them to be DCC ready. I've seen mention of them having provision for sound but wasn't sure (as a new person to DCC) what this actually meant DCC capability wise.

Cheers

Greg

Afternoon all, silly question time;

Are these locos going to be classed as 'DCC ready' or will they need work to enable them to be DCC ready. I've seen mention of them having provision for sound but wasn't sure (as a new person to DCC) what this actually meant DCC capability wise.

Cheers

Greg

They'll be DCC-ready. That is, they will have a socket into which a decoder can be plugged. The provision for sound will be a location for a speaker. (CJL)

• Like 2

Hi.

Three questions...

1) If buying a skirted version, is there an option to remove them?

2) Just subscribed today so first issue won't be until mid-January.  Is there a way I can purchase at the subscriber rate without knowing the full subscriber number? (unless it was sent on the confirmation email?)

3) Having looked at all the models, the closest to (Thomas the Tank) Toby is the "MR-207 Rapido LNER Class J70 Steam Locomotive number 8223 in LNER post-war livery with full skirts" - correct?

Bill

Toby the Tram Engine's basis, no doubt! I have the Silver Fox model made into Toby.

I'm confused (not an unusual circumstance)!

The Model Rail offers website has a postcard/photograph of 68225 on the W&U without side skirts but with cowcatchers and carrying the early BR emblem. The artist's graphic in the advert on p104 of MR 242 for MR-203 does not show the cowcatchers but is otherwise the same.

Is the graphic in error or have the cowcatchers been omitted without informing those who have pre-ordered this particular model?

Edited by Pint of Adnams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell us where the space for a speaker is located please? I know nothing about LNER steam, but if I fit a sound decoder which sound would be most suitable, thanks?

A cavity has been provided in the chassis weight that will fit a sugarcube speaker. That's about ALL that would fit!

Bill

Thanks rapidobill that's good news I have a spare sugar cube, can someone point me at a suitable sound file please? I usually opt for Loksound decoders 'cus that's what I'm used to, but I fancy trying a Zimo and I've seen YouTube video of Hornby J50 with sound, would it be sensible to use the same sounds? I understand these ran quietly compared to other locos.

Thanks

Thanks rapidobill that's good news I have a spare sugar cube, can someone point me at a suitable sound file please? I usually opt for Loksound decoders 'cus that's what I'm used to, but I fancy trying a Zimo and I've seen YouTube video of Hornby J50 with sound, would it be sensible to use the same sounds? I understand these ran quietly compared to other locos.

Thanks

I think it might be necessary to wait and see if someone can assemble a purpose-made sound file. As well as the usual steam sounds, you'll need a bell - at least for the skirted version. (CJL)

Just​ come across this photo on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=963971517111730&set=pcb.2010847905797945&type=3&theater

Hope the link works

​Cheers, Mike C

Which group is it in, Mike, as when I click on the link, I get this:

Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Sorry Ramrig, can't help, but so you know what you're missing out on, it shows one of the locos in the process of being scrapped, all the upper superstructure has gone, hence you can see the boiler etc clearly

It's probably from a closed group. Do you know which group it is?

I suspect it's this photo, anyway, which is available on less restricted parts of the Internet.

post-6802-0-73951500-1516039461.gif

• Like 2