Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

Am I not correct in thinking that the body of one of W&U tramway coaches is at the North Norfolk Railway mounted on a flat wagon chassis?

Dont forget theres a replica J70 being built, i saw it at the Nene Valley about 10 years ago.

http://nene-valley.blogspot.com/2010/06/y6-tram-engine-replica.html

Theres not been much news on this project for a while, maybe the model will reignite interest in the replica ?

Edited by adb968008

Dont forget theres a replica J70 being built, i saw it at the Nene Valley about 10 years ago.

Theres not been much news on this project for a while, maybe the model will reignite interest in the replica ?

I think the person who was the main driving force behind it subsequently died, so that explains the lack of progress.  There was a thread about it on the National Preservation forum in the last year or so, from memory.

It was visible in the shed at Wansford last year (during the Class 31 event) but didn't appear to have been worked on recently.

Had no idea this project existed - shame it's in limbo. From the link, it doesn't sound like it'll even require that much money to run! 

Had no idea this project existed - shame it's in limbo. From the link, it doesn't sound like it'll even require that much money to run! 

There you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1ttanCYFs

About as realistic as putting a Belgian vertical boiler in a wooden box and calling it a J70....

Nice for the kids I suppose.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1ttanCYFs

About as realistic as putting a Belgian vertical boiler in a wooden box and calling it a J70....

Nice for the kids I suppose.

Jason

Thats not the same loco/rebuild project, its a diesel for a start., and its aim is to be what it is.. a Toby, not a J70.

Does your penchant for realism extend to objecting to a Patriot asit has Jubilee parts, a county as it has an 8f boiler, and Scotsman as its got cylinders off Salmon trout ?

Edited by adb968008

Thats not the same loco/rebuild project, its a diesel for a start.

Does your penchant for realism extend to objecting to a Patriot asit has Jubilee parts, a county as it has an 8f boiler, and Scotsman as its got cylinders off Salmon trout ?

It's just as realistic though.

it's doesn't even have the correct type of boiler in that it has a vertical boiler rather than a standard boiler. Does it have the correct valve gear and wheelbase. Or even the correct number of wheels?

In no way, shape or form could you call it a replica. It's a plaything.

The other examples are legitimate new builds. I contribute to two new builds and they are proper locomotives.

BTW what Jubilee parts are in the Patriot? Everything is new apart from the tender.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

It's just as realistic though.

it's doesn't even have the correct type of boiler in that it has a vertical boiler rather than a standard boiler. Does it have the correct valve gear and wheelbase. Or even the correct number of wheels?

In no way, shape or form could you call it a replica. It's a plaything.

The other examples are legitimate new builds. I contribute to two new builds and they are proper locomotives.

BTW what Jubilee parts are in the Patriot? Everything is new apart from the tender.

Jason

Except some left over bits off Alberta, a pony wheel off 48518, a tender off a 4f (except 2019 its of 42765) etc etc etc

I too have contributed, and read their publications too..

https://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/sites/default/files/The_Warrior_Issue_14.pdf

Hasnt Tornado prodly got some bits off a class 86, not to mention a USB mobile phone charger ?

It looks like, acts like an A1, just as 45551 will look and act like a Patriot, and hopefully some day those whove only ever seen pictures will get sense of what a Wisbeach tram loco looked like.

Edited by adb968008

Except some left over bits off Alberta, a pony wheel off 48518, a tender off a 4f (except 2019 its of 42765) etc etc etc

They are just common parts and quite legitimate.

Take most locomotives apart and they are full of bits of other locomotives. That is normal. 

It is NOT a J70 replica. It's like painting 7298 blue and calling it Thomas. It's still a Jinty not an E2.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

They are just common parts and quite legitimate.

Take most locomotives apart and they are full of bits of other locomotives. That is normal.

It is NOT a J70 replica. It's like painting 7298 blue and calling it Thomas. It's still a Jinty not an E2.

Jason

So they shouldnt have bothered, and left the Cockerill to go the same way as SNCB 44.021 Caley Goods lookalike instead ?

And what about 32424 ? - its hardly an original LBSC boiler...

And 73096.. its tender isnt BR standard, its just pretending,

Someones making a baby deltic out of a class 37...

Edited by adb968008

So they shouldnt have bothered, and left the Cockerill to go the same way as SNCB 44.021 Caley Goods lookalike instead ?

And what about 32424 ? - its hardly an original LBSC boiler...

And 73096.. its tender isnt BR standard, its just pretending,

Or kept it as a Cockerill...

As for the rest of it. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Or kept it as a Cockerill...

As for the rest of it. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Jason

Because your yardstick only selectively applies or some other reason ?

The superbly restored NER railcar only came about because of a Caterpillar engines, its not got its original 1900’s petrol engine...

I am Just trying to understand your motivations ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Because you are just twisting things for some strange reason.

I'm off to talk to some adults.

Jason

Meanwhile back to the J70.. in model form,

my best of luck to those trying to build a replica, to give those who have never seen one, the sense of what it looked like, even if they are apparently deceased I do not feel its appropriate to belittle or make fun of their efforts.

There aim is noble, its not a plan to make a thomas character, it will add value to the preservation movement and it saved a loco from scrap overseas, even if the recreation isnt 100% using original parts and drawings, its their loco, their money so their choice what to do with it, if they dont want to restore it as a cockerill..its their choice.

We dont have a wisbeach tram in the movement, they are doing more about it, than apparently you or I.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Further photo's of the Model at the Peterborough Model Show.

Have to say that the first photo of the 'completed' model is simply amazing.

Chris Leigh, can I say thank you for the brief conversation we had at the show, you were very very helpful and I look forward to this when it comes out.

post-32040-0-15363300-1544463173_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-16041500-1544463350_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-74834100-1544463403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 11

On the replica J70, it’s more of a Y6 given the basis. And there has been process on it, from what I’ve heard the owner is waiting to get approval for modifications that need to be done to make to drivable from both ends. It’s not meant to be a full on new build, but a replica that just looks like a Y6, don’t see anything wrong with that, it is a replica outwardly.

Anyway, finally preordeed mine, I expect the current release date is early 2019 at this point?

• Like 1

I have to say I'm amazed how quickly this has gone from announcement to production.

With you having said that, I thought I'd look through my photo's from previous Warley shows, 2016 MR Mag was gauging interest, 2017 MR had produced this (Image) and now in 2018 we have fully painted versions. It's been great following the progress of this project

post-32040-0-99336100-1544814862_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-01885000-1544814949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 1

This is currently exercising our minds over on Facebook. Can anyone identify where this photo was taken?

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/1882-1885-GER-Thomas-William-Worsdell/TWWorsdell-Tank-Engines/TWWordsell-Y6-GER-G15-0-4-0-Tram-Engines/i-jwMq2Q6

The (Ransomes & Rapier built) swing bridge over the new entrance lock to Ipswich Wet Dock - constructed in 1903. I believe it was being weight tested, hence the two locos.

I'd already answered that one on the Dimmerspam post on the National Preservation Forum!!!   One of the others appears to be Gt Yarmouth - the one with the Lacons brewery store in the background.

Edit - The same bridge, 87 years later......

post-35561-0-69993100-1544985732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johann Marsbar

• 2 weeks later...

The (Ransomes & Rapier built) swing bridge over the new entrance lock to Ipswich Wet Dock - constructed in 1903. I believe it was being weight tested, hence the two locos.

I'd already answered that one on the Dimmerspam post on the National Preservation Forum!!!   One of the others appears to be Gt Yarmouth - the one with the Lacons brewery store in the background.

Edit - The same bridge, 87 years later......

attachicon.gif90-004.JPG

This is a bit of a puzzle. Lets start with what we can agree on. The engines in the B&W photo are not Y6 but J70 as YS never carried numbers 136 & 135 and only 126 of the class was ever based in Ipswich but was renumbered 07126 on 29/2/24.

Now we come to the question of when the bridge was constructed. It does not feature in the 1904 maps of Ipswich even though these show what appears to be a 'pit' next to the dock ready for it's later addition. The Act authorising teh construction of the bridge over the lock was passed in 1913 with a 10 year expiry limit (to 1923). Due to the outbreak of WW! this act was amended in 1918 by which time it would have been apparent that the 1913 act deadline would not be met so the expiry moved to (say) 1928. I am indebted to the Ipswich maritime trust for a photograph dated 17/2/25 showing the line over the lock under construction. What we can also be sure about is that the bridge constructed at this time was NOT the one shown in the colour photo since this was constructed in 1947, possibly stronger than the original and 1947 was about the time that Cliff Quay power station was built.

The locos are a bit of a mystery though as searching the Yeadon registers reveals that 135 and 136 were never allocated to the same shed. only 135, 139 and 129 were allocated to Ipswich before they would have lost their GE number plates in 1926 and even then 129 was moved elsewhere between 13/5 and 20/11 1925.

This is a bit of a puzzle. Lets start with what we can agree on. The engines in the B&W photo are not Y6 but J70 as YS never carried numbers 136 & 135 and only 126 of the class was ever based in Ipswich but was renumbered 07126 on 29/2/24.

Now we come to the question of when the bridge was constructed. It does not feature in the 1904 maps of Ipswich even though these show what appears to be a 'pit' next to the dock ready for it's later addition. The Act authorising teh construction of the bridge over the lock was passed in 1913 with a 10 year expiry limit (to 1923). Due to the outbreak of WW! this act was amended in 1918 by which time it would have been apparent that the 1913 act deadline would not be met so the expiry moved to (say) 1928. I am indebted to the Ipswich maritime trust for a photograph dated 17/2/25 showing the line over the lock under construction. What we can also be sure about is that the bridge constructed at this time was NOT the one shown in the colour photo since this was constructed in 1947, possibly stronger than the original and 1947 was about the time that Cliff Quay power station was built.

The locos are a bit of a mystery though as searching the Yeadon registers reveals that 135 and 136 were never allocated to the same shed. only 135, 139 and 129 were allocated to Ipswich before they would have lost their GE number plates in 1926 and even then 129 was moved elsewhere between 13/5 and 20/11 1925.

I've just dug out my copy of Ipswich Engines and Ipswich Men, by Freestone/Smith and that gives the opening date of the original swing bridge of 1904. The replacement swing bridge was constructed in 1949, also according to that book.

Given the amount of research that Richard Smith did on the docks area during his life, I'm hoping his dates can be relied on!

Nothing has really been written about the docks network in Ipswich, apart from two pages in that (limited edition) publication, though it may have been covered in the even more limited publication he produced about the dockside industries. I never even saw a copy of that one..........