Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

On 1/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, MarkSG said:

Possibly, yes, but Kernow will contact you if that is the case, and it's simple enough to resolve. You won't be left hanging without either getting the model or being given the opportunity to update your card details

I had a similar problem but the new card has arrived in plenty of time and is already valid. A quick 'phone call to Kernow's helpful team and all is updated :good_mini:

(Don't entrust your details to an e-mail.)

The bad news was that my BR version will not be arriving until around April...:sad_mini:

1 hour ago, Pint of Adnams said:

I had a similar problem but the new card has arrived in plenty of time and is already valid. A quick 'phone call to Kernow's helpful team and all is updated :good_mini:

(Don't entrust your details to an e-mail.)

The bad news was that my BR version will not be arriving until around April...:sad_mini:

April! Wow, that's a long way off, with 2 BR versions and 2 LNER versions I would have hoped the rest would have come the following month but two months wait...ahhhh. Nevermind we've waited roughly 2 years 2 months we can wait a few more months :)

Rapido just sent out their latest North American newsletter to subscribers (not yet available on their website), in their Delivery Schedule section is says the first part of the J70 arrives next week with the rest of them arriving sometime in March.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

Rapido just sent out their latest North American newsletter to subscribers (not yet available on their website), in their Delivery Schedule section is says the first part of the J70 arrives next week with the rest of them arriving sometime in March.

I read it as saying that 'the first  J70s have arrived' (in Markham, Canada) and will be despatched 'next week' (to the UK). Kernow MRC will advise Model Rail when they receive the models and we'll announce it at that point but I do not expect it to be 'next week'. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 2/2/2019 at 7:35 AM, wiggoforgold said:

Looking at pictures, and bearing in mind Paul G's earlier comment, would I be right in thinking that on the W&U trams ran chimney first towards Upwell?

Alex

Certainly, from photographs the J70s mostly seem to be chimney first towards Upwell but it doesn't seem to have been universal among the J70s and there are certainly pictures of the 0-4-0Ts facing the other way. I would suspect that the preference was to run chimney first when on the main line and that resulted in them arriving from Stratford, facing Upwell. I can't imagine Wisbech shed would have bothered to turn them, as, apart from some short, sharp climbs over canal bridges, there were no significant gradients on the tramway. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2019 at 21:26, dibber25 said:

I read it as saying that 'the first  J70s have arrived' (in Markham, Canada) and will be despatched 'next week' (to the UK). Kernow MRC will advise Model Rail when they receive the models and we'll announce it at that point but I do not expect it to be 'next week'. (CJL)

Is there any reason theyve got the trans canadian route than via the indian ocean ?

It seems a lot of additional overhead / cost / time / risk to ship to the US/Canada, go via surface to Ontario, unpack, repack, continue via surface to a port to cross the Atlantic, to be surfaced / unpacked and repacked again in the UK ?

just wondering.

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Is there any reason theyve got the trans canadian route than via the indian ocean ?

It seems a lot of additional overhead / cost / time / risk to ship to the US/Canada, go via surface to Ontario, unpack, repack, continue via surface to a port to cross the Atlantic, to be surfaced / unpacked and repacked again in the UK ?

just wondering.

Assuming that what I've surmised is correct (and it may not be) I suspect Rapido has complete containers from China shipped to Markham rather than sending small consignments  to different countries. Most of Rapido's products - particularly the larger volumes, are for the North American market. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

I'd assume that if there was enough to reasonably fill a container, they would go direct to the UK.  (something like 15m^3 volume or more...).  It would save the headache of Candian Revenue Agency , import & export, and costs of handling 2x.  So, unless the volumes are under 15m^3 of Toby's, I'd be a bit shocked if they came to Canada at all, in spite of Rapido's worldwide HQ being in Markham.  That's another part of why they (Rapido) have set up a UK based company, I would expect- to make it easier to ship direct from China to the UK.  

Perhaps Jason would answer this one, if only to put it to bed-it's not like I'm going to commission the Somali pirates to go after THAT container ship for my home layout !

James

4 hours ago, peach james said:

I'd assume that if there was enough to reasonably fill a container, they would go direct to the UK.  (something like 15m^3 volume or more...).  It would save the headache of Candian Revenue Agency , import & export, and costs of handling 2x.  So, unless the volumes are under 15m^3 of Toby's, I'd be a bit shocked if they came to Canada at all, in spite of Rapido's worldwide HQ being in Markham.  That's another part of why they (Rapido) have set up a UK based company, I would expect- to make it easier to ship direct from China to the UK.  

Perhaps Jason would answer this one, if only to put it to bed-it's not like I'm going to commission the Somali pirates to go after THAT container ship for my home layout !

James

Considering that a very  large % of Rapido production is going to be reshipped to the US, would shipment to the UK be any different.  From what I can tell the UK is a beloved but minor market for Rapido.

Edited by autocoach

5 hours ago, autocoach said:

Considering that a very  large % of Rapido production is going to be reshipped to the US, would shipment to the UK be any different.  From what I can tell the UK is a beloved but minor market for Rapido.

Well, unlike the with the US there is a rather largish body of salt water between the UK and Canada which means it's going to be more than filling out paperwork, throwing it on a truck, and allowing for possible border delays.

But surely the reason for sending them to canada first is to do final QC checks? If you were a company sending models to the UK would not want to check them yourself? 

And its already been said they have some of their other models arriving at the same time so its cheaper to send a full container direct to them before dispatching models elsewhere

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:03, PaulG said:

all the photos I have of trams at Colchester all face the same way, i.e. chimney towards Norwich, can't think why but must be deliberate. 

Regards

Paul

Paul,

I'm surprised that you've forgotten that it was a GER convention that all locomotives were orientated with the chimneys away from London. One theory attributes this to the climbs out of Liverpool Street and up Brentwood Bank, to ensure that the firebox remained covered with water.

Obviously over time and especially at locations that had reversing loops and like formations, some trams will have reversed direction.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Paul,

I'm surprised that you've forgotten that it was a GER convention that all locomotives were orientated with the chimneys away from London. One theory attributes this to the climbs out of Liverpool Street and up Brentwood Bank, to ensure that the firebox remained covered with water.

Obviously over time and especially at locations that had reversing loops and like formations, some trams will have reversed direction.

I take the point, presumably operating Hythe Quay and travelling to/from Colchester, there would be little need to turn the loco. Just begs the question, when visiting either Stratford Works or Ipswich for maintenance which Colchester couldn't undertake, would the loco be turned chimney leading? I haven't read anything which comments if running in reverse on the main line was an issue, equally I haven't seen a photo of a tram on the Up main line. 

Paul

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:33, Pre Grouping fan said:

But surely the reason for sending them to canada first is to do final QC checks? If you were a company sending models to the UK would not want to check them yourself? 

And its already been said they have some of their other models arriving at the same time so its cheaper to send a full container direct to them before dispatching models elsewhere

I believe Heljan do something similar, with items shipped from China to Denmark first and then onto the UK. Whilst the shipping to the UK is currently straightforward as both UK and Denmark are in the EU, could get become more elongated after March 29th...

It's interesting to hear about possibilities of when these loco's might have been turned or how they would have been moved. However knowing what these blokes would have been like, it would have been, whatever way it was facing it was likely to run in that direction for the time it was on the W&U. But there has certainly got to be a pattern to this. 

Would, the J70's have been dragged with water in the boiler? I'd have thought it would have been brought to the yard empty bar being oiled up for movement... Then the Loco fitters and locomen would organize when they would prep the loco for the start of next week.

:)

1 hour ago, Norton Wood said:

It's interesting to hear about possibilities of when these loco's might have been turned or how they would have been moved. However knowing what these blokes would have been like, it would have been, whatever way it was facing it was likely to run in that direction for the time it was on the W&U. But there has certainly got to be a pattern to this. 

Would, the J70's have been dragged with water in the boiler? I'd have thought it would have been brought to the yard empty bar being oiled up for movement... Then the Loco fitters and locomen would organize when they would prep the loco for the start of next week.

:)

Photographic evidence suggests that they ran to and from works under their own steam, light engine. I've never seen a photograph of one being dragged. As far as the tramway is concerned, these were double-ended locomotives with a cab each end, from which they could be driven, so there would be very little need to turn them. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Photographic evidence suggests that they ran to and from works under their own steam, light engine. I've never seen a photograph of one being dragged. As far as the tramway is concerned, these were double-ended locomotives with a cab each end, from which they could be driven, so there would be very little need to turn them. (CJL)

I recall reading a story in (i think Steam railway), that one of these worked itself to Stratford for overhaul, alarmed the signalman, who didnt recognise it for what it was and reported a runaway breakvan on fire ?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, dibber25 said:

As far as the tramway is concerned, these were double-ended locomotives with a cab each end, from which they could be driven, so there would be very little need to turn them. (CJL)

That's one of the things that's always puzzled me a bit about them. Lots of branch lines (and suburban lines) were worked by tank engines that ran in both directions. Being single-ended wasn't considered a problem elsewhere. When the steam locos were replaced on the W&U, their replacements were single-ended diesel shunters. 

So I don't really understand why Worsdell, and Holden after him, felt the need to make the W&U steam locos double-ended. Surely, they could have just put skirts and cowcatchers on an otherwise normal 0-4-0T and 0-6-0T. Admittedly, that wouldn't have been anything like as iconic, but it would have been just as practical at the time. 

26 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

.... I don't really understand why Worsdell, and Holden after him, felt the need to make the W&U steam locos double-ended.

Legislation changes.

I'd guess that when the W&U was being built, the tramway legislation required steam locomotives to be driven from either end .

Remember, steam tramways in the street passenger-carrying context would have been commonplace at that time.

By the time that the Drewrys were introduced, the use of tramways for passenger traffic was minimal, and I would have expected the tramway regulations to have been amended accordingly.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

My order was processed this morning. KMRC are expecting the first consignment on Monday, with dispatch of MR202/3/6/7 due end of next week. There is another container on the way containing some of the other versions, apparently. Very excited! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

That's one of the things that's always puzzled me a bit about them. Lots of branch lines (and suburban lines) were worked by tank engines that ran in both directions. Being single-ended wasn't considered a problem elsewhere. When the steam locos were replaced on the W&U, their replacements were single-ended diesel shunters. 

So I don't really understand why Worsdell, and Holden after him, felt the need to make the W&U steam locos double-ended. Surely, they could have just put skirts and cowcatchers on an otherwise normal 0-4-0T and 0-6-0T. Admittedly, that wouldn't have been anything like as iconic, but it would have been just as practical at the time. 

At the time that the first W&U locos were built (the 0-4-0Ts) the W&U was unique - built as a cheap branch line under tramway legislation so I suspect that they were built to follow the legislation as closely as possible. The only other standard gauge tramway in England that I'm familiar with, the Bideford Westward Ho!  & Appledore did use skirted steam locos - Hunslet 2-4-2Ts - but they may well have been Hunslet's interpretation of the legislation and they were more than a dozen years after the W&U. The Wantage Tramway, on the other hand, had a skirted double-ended loco for passenger service but generally seems to have made more use of the unskirted and conventional-shaped 0-4-0T Jane/Shannon which came from the Sandy & Potton line. Isn't it great that there was such diversity! (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Legislation changes.

I'd guess that when the W&U was being built, the tramway legislation required steam locomotives to be driven from either end .

Remember, steam tramways in the street passenger-carrying context would have been commonplace at that time.

By the time that the Drewrys were introduced, the use of tramways for passenger traffic was minimal, and I would have expected the tramway regulations to have been amended accordingly.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes, John, you would have expected regulations to have been amended by the time the Drewrys were introduced but basically they were not and rules became interpreted locally and dare I say 'risk assessment' became the order of the day!   Amendment to tramway legislation, including the Highway Code, etc., did not come about until the 1980's in connection with the still required independent Acts of Parliament for light rail/ tram development.   Even the Transport & Works Act of the 1990s continues to incorporate features of the 1870 Tramways Act.   In discussion in 1998 with the original instructors of Croydon Tramlink there was the reminder that "no carriage on a tramway must move before a bell is rung"!!!   Fortunately, our drivers do use their discretion and are very safety conscience.   Kind regards, Colin Withey.