Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

There are 10 livery/side skirt variants in the first batch. To make your selection refer to pages 6/7 of the August Model Rail, published June 29 but already, it seems, starting to reach subscribers. (CJL)

Correct.Mine was in this morning's post.

Mine has just arrived.

About the GER version. It says 

​You will note that we've only covered LNER and BR ownership. If demand for GER liveries is high enough, we will consider this for future production runs.

To register your interest in a GER liveried J70 please email                 

modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk 

I'm possibly interested myself.

As for the others I'll have to do the research on what fits in best with my current ER early BR stock. Maybe one of each livery (crest and lettering) with one skirted and one without.

Jason

Just had a look at the site, nice range of variants there. I was just about to pre-order (1 initially, possibly 2 and in the market for a GE version later). Then I noticed the coreless motor. No orders for me then.

We shall have to see when they arrive if a) anormal motor can be substituted b) and if so, are any remaing,

Stewart

ps call me a luddite but I'm not convinced on coreless. I have a large collection, all dc, and VERY slow running with homebuilt PWM controllers. I have no need or desire to change those.

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Would it not be just a simple job to re-livery one yourself?

G.

For those with even a shred of skill or practical ability, yes it would be a simple job. Me though... :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Just had a look at the site, nice range of variants there. I was just about to pre-order (1 initially, possibly 2 and in the market for a GE version later). Then I noticed the coreless motor. No orders for me then.

We shall have to see when they arrive if a) anormal motor can be substituted b) and if so, are any remaing,

Stewart

ps call me a luddite but I'm not convinced on coreless. I have a large collection, all dc, and VERY slow running with homebuilt PWM controllers. I have no need or desire to change those.

It's not a question of anyone being 'convinced'. The only way we can get the desired combination of power, space for sound, and visible internal detail is by use of a coreless motor. We have discussed at length and this is the best option, indeed the only option without discarding features that we want to include. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

We are asking for expressions of interest in a GER liveried version. If there's sufficient interest it would be included in the second run. (CJL)

I hope there will be a GE liveried version, otherwise I'm out too, I'm afraid.

Everyone I spoke to about it said they had chosen the GE option, so I guess I must know some odd people!  Frankly, though, I am surprised that it did not make the first run. 

More money saved!

For those with even a shred of skill or practical ability, yes it would be a simple job.

Its not an onerous or difficult skill and one that can easily be learnt. It would be worthwhile making the effort and then you'll get more out of the hobby as well as locos in the liveries you want. That's what those who can re-livery did.

Other than that it is always possible to find a person or company to commission to do it for you.

G.

It's not a question of anyone being 'convinced'. The only way we can get the desired combination of power, space for sound, and visible internal detail is by use of a coreless motor. We have discussed at length and this is the best option, indeed the only option without discarding features that we want to include. (CJL)

I have to go with what you have decided, but my Connoisseur (brass) one has a small motor (Cambridge Custom Transfers) hidden beneath the boiler.

And that, of course, is the traditional response to anyone not interested in the last days of steam; go build it yourself.

Well, I have a whitemetal J70, or C53 as I tend to think of it, which I will finish in GE coach brown and ultramarine blue.  Actually, I'm rather more interested in G15s (Y6s for those who only speak LNER), and cannot claim to need a second C53.

But, I would not turn down a high-spec RTR model of one in my desired livery; I'd either find a place for two C53s in my life, or retire the kit. 

However, if this high-spec RTR version comes in a livery that is of no use to me, it will simply go into a rather long queue of conversions and repaints and I won't get round to it anytime soon.  In those circumstances, there is no great incentive to rush out and buy one.  I already have a Y14, sorry, J15, in the GE queue.  I don't need to be adding to it anytime soon.

It's just the practicalities of the thing. Right livery = immediate guaranteed sale.  Wrong livery = I might get round to buying one someday.  Same with the Bachmann coal tank.  Have a kit-built one.  Would happily add to or replace it with the Blue Box, but buying one to line-out is a low priority given competing demands on time and resources.

There are two excellent livery choices for GE days; coach brown and ultramarine blue, and crimson upper works with grey skirting.  Both very attractive and, dare I say, rather more so than what came later.  I am sure that, in practice, many of us would be unable to resist. 

My preference would be for the blue and brown, as the grey and crimson era is really too late for me, but  I'd get one of each and run out of period if both were produced, just as I am likely to go for the Oxford No.1002,if they don't b*lls it up like the Dean.   I suspect I would not be the only one attracted by an out of period model in an attractive livery. 

Other opinions are available.

I don't think it is a major crime to express disappointment that the GE livery is neglected, or to state that, as a result, Model Rail (of which I am a loyal subscriber, BTW) will not be rewarded for this neglect with an immediate sale.  Just look at the anguished outpourings on the Oxford Rail N7 thread when the realisation dawned that we would only be getting the wrong sort of firebox for most British Rail examples!  Horror! 

Edited by Edwardian

Guest Midland Mole

Its not an onerous or difficult skill and one that can easily be learnt. It would be worthwhile making the effort and then you'll get more out of the hobby as well as locos in the liveries you want. That's what those who can re-livery did.

Other than that it is always possible to find a person or company to commission to do it for you.

G.

If it was just a case of removing transfers and adding new ones, I might have given it a go. But to do a proper GER livery would require a partial repaint, and when the loco costs £127 I don't want to end up with it looking terrible. :D

I did have a loco repainted by someone a couple of years ago, but that can end up costing as much as the loco itself. Anyway, I will wait and see if they do get enough interest to warrant a future GER version. If not, I will live with it. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

We would need to be reasonably confident of 500 sales to produce a GER-liveried J70. Even then there are at least two different GER liveries,so which one do we take the risk on? I don't believe there's a Hornby J15 in GER livery yet - no doubt for the same reason. (CJL)

Hello CJL,

Can I just say that it's amazing you guys have gone ahead with this project and I really look forward to it. However I will not be placing a pre order (sorry) until I see what the coreless motors are like, they are probably fine and I shouldn't be worrying, but at the end of the day I don't want something that I cannot run. What type of motor did the sentinel use?

Thanks,

Nelson

We would need to be reasonably confident of 500 sales to produce a GER-liveried J70. Even then there are at least two different GER liveries,so which one do we take the risk on? I don't believe there's a Hornby J15 in GER livery yet - no doubt for the same reason. (CJL)

Thanks.

We've all heard the chicken and egg theory on this one.  Earlier periods are difficult to access without RTR support, so the line you, and others in the industry, take becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

After all, you've got the tooling and there seem to be no shortage of livery versions for the Sentinel and the USA tanks.  I am surprised that a livery choice, as opposed to a tooling, needs the support of as many as 500 expressions of interest.  What are the physical differences after all?  IIRC the LNER version needs a smaller number plate than the GE, so logically moulding these onto the body side should be avoided.  I have limited knowledge of any physical changes in LNER or BR days, as these periods do not interest me, so perhaps there are other difficulties.

However, if 500 is your viability threshold, that's that, and I certainly wouldn't seek to persuade Model Rail to take a risk.  We all have to respect the economic realities.  

I think the classic blue and brown would be the one to go for. The later livery is the optional extra.  If you can't do both, I suspect there is not too much of a dilemma as to which.

In the meantime, I'm afraid I'll pass on this one.  At least hearing the bad news here has avoided the disappointment I would have experienced on opening the latest edition of the magazine, which has arrived whilst I type.

Good luck with it and I hope you change your minds and revisit the first 20 years of these locos' service.

After all, you've got the tooling and there seem to be no shortage of livery versions for the Sentinel and the USA tanks.  I am surprised that a livery choice, as opposed to a tooling, needs the support of as many as 500 expressions of interest.  What are the physical differences after all? 

There is a cost to the setting up and doing the painting and pad printing and the opinion for the last number of years seems to be that the factories will only consider it worthwhile to do starting at 500 units.

There is a cost to the setting up and doing the painting and pad printing and the opinion for the last number of years seems to be that the factories will only consider it worthwhile to do starting at 500 units.

Interesting, though a shame, because for the future it might be increasingly hard to find a given prototype for which over 500 people will want the same version.

Others have suggested from time to time that 250 is a viable minimum run - I really wouldn't know - but if you're stuck with a factory that won't budge from 500 then that's that. 

Sadly, the fact that a factory might refuse to make fewer than 500 GE versions is not a reason for me to buy a LNER or BR version. 

PS In what colours was "Toby" painted, ask yourselves that?!?

Edited by Edwardian

If it was just a case of removing transfers and adding new ones, I might have given it a go. But to do a proper GER livery would require a partial repaint, and when the loco costs £127 I don't want to end up with it looking terrible.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't tackle a modelling project on an expensive model unless I was confident of achieving a good result. That's why it is best to practice on cheap disposable models to hone ones skills. And it's good fun and an enjoyable aspect of the hobby.

G.

Judging from the Bachmann and Hornby SECR Locos and Hornby's Peckett ,if its pretty enough it will sell out nowadays. Pictures of suggested liveries would be a good start for judging interest on Model Rail site. 

5000 sales that sounds a lot, if all ten versions are of 500 of each !

Nothing obvious on the Model rail site re opinion on GER livery J70's ?