dibber25

Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

Kernow told me they might be able to ship Monday (today!) or Tuesday.

Happy to confirm my card has been charged, so I guess it's safe to say by the end of next week it should be here at the latest.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At present - and despite what the ad in the March Model Rail says - ONLY MR202, MR203, MR206 and MR207 are currently in stock at Kernow. Please do not contact them to check on your order as this is delaying the models being sent to you. You will be contacted when your order is ready to be dispatched. Kernow are currently saying that more time is being spent answering enquiiries than actually sending out orders! (CJL)

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Order has shipped and ready for delivery. Can't wait!!

Just checked my emails, and mine has been dispatched too. 

Email received this morning, MR-202 on its way...….

Keith

20 hours ago, dibber25 said:

At present - and despite what the ad in the March Model Rail says - ONLY MR202, MR203, MR206 and MR207 are currently in stock at Kernow. Please do not contact them to check on your order as this is delaying the models being sent to you. You will be contacted when your order is ready to be dispatched. Kernow are currently saying that more time is being spent answering enquiiries than actually sending out orders! (CJL)

Thought I'd quote this as my post was perhaps a little mis-leading.

I had to call to update my card details so was told then.  I didn't call especially :P

But good advice (Y)

54 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Email received this morning, MR-202 on its way...….

Ditto!

9 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Thought I'd quote this as my post was perhaps a little mis-leading.

I had to call to update my card details so was told then.  I didn't call especially :P

But good advice (Y)

Sorry, my post wasn't intended for you - it was merely co-incidence that Kernow asked us to post a message at that time. (CJL)

• Like 1

My LNER 7128 version arrived this morning. I'll just let these images speak for themselves with the single comment that I think this is a product worth buying!

Dsc03023.jpg.24c91afe504d90a234e1dba8ea0952bd.jpg

Dsc03024.jpg.b10f568ff646c45468279d3da6530f55.jpg

Dsc03025.jpg.3e4ac72fd074e186a29767e7183bfae1.jpg

Dsc03031.jpg.8bd8f2a27e220a9a1c550082cd75ed1a.jpg

Dsc03026.jpg.b7fc51cd1bfe7d545ccd9dfb56e6bd3a.jpg

Dsc03027.jpg.ad5c6fcf664cfa1e5f6906e4fbc9882c.jpg

Dsc03028.jpg.38cc50667ae8f3b6ed332081148df2fa.jpg

Dsc03029.jpg.3080ccf3adc6407aa97b8a37713055fb.jpg

Dsc03030.jpg.e0ab480450bebd17d7ac083af2945ae9.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

That's a lot of additional detailing parts!

Am I right to assume that the shed plates are a set of alternatives, so you can choose which ones to fit?

• Agree 1

Still awaiting my dispatch email but I am REALLY excited!! They look amazing, didn't know they came with etched plates either!

49 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

That's a lot of additional detailing parts!

Am I right to assume that the shed plates are a set of alternatives, so you can choose which ones to fit?

If you want to be accurate to a particular loco at a particular time, you'll need pictures of your chosen prototype.

The BR shed code plates could be in several different places or not at all (mostly the latter, it seems).

The GER area code plates had often (but not always) gone missing by later LNER/BR times.

The builders plates were usually present right to the end but could be on the second or third plank.

The seat re-inforcing brackets could be two or three bolts, one or both sides or not at all.

You don't need to do anything with the window frames but if you want to fit open windows, the instruction book explains how to do it.

You have the choice of open or closed end doors, which you do have to fit yourself. The booklet explains how. The model looks much better with the doors on!

You can also change the cowcatchers, depending on whether or not you use tension-lock couplers.

It's all explained and illustrated in the instruction book. I fitted the parts and wrote the book, so if anyone has any queries, I'll be happy to try and answer them, either here or on our Facebook page. (CHRIS LEIGH)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Looking good, but crying out for a weathering sloshing and blending.

• Agree 5

Looks superb.  Rapido Pulls It Off, again!

Great choice of subject by Model Rail and I hope and expect it will do extremely well.

I am waiting to see if GE version(s) are announced in due course, which is the only reason I have yet to raid the piggy Bank.

Well done to all those concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

LNER 8223 unboxed.

FB_IMG_1549980392665.jpg

That actually looks a bit like a startled Toby!

• Funny 4

Yes, James, it would be lovely to see a GER blue version eventually.

Chris Leigh - Yes, the extra bits in the little baggies really surpised me. You get:

Two sets of front and rear wooden access doors in the closed and open positions.

A pair of cosmetic screw couplings.

A pair of front and rear safety grills of prototypical shape to swap out the ones fitted on the model which have the cut-outs necessary for the NEM couplers.

Four safety chains and hooks.

Eight window frames so you can swap out the glazed ones (all of them if you like!) for slid-open windows. The instructions advise you need to source some 5 thou glazing sheet. None is supplied with the model.

Six different GER makers/number plates (in this version of the model they are 7126, 7128, 7129, 7131, 7137, 7139).

Four BR 32F shed plates.

Six "5" number plates.

Five 3-bolt iron straps.

Five 2-bolt iron straps (2- and 3-bolt plates are for the different external fixings of the internal cab seats where they were fixed to the body front and rear).

The brass etch is a bold move in an RTR model. Pretty sure I've never seen a manufacturer ever make this much effort to cater for the modeller who seeks a greater level of accuracy than the average customer. The out of the box owner can run the model as it is, but the more serious modeller can fit all the extra details in accordance with a photo of their particular prototype. You get a 17-page manual with very clear photos and instructions of how and where to fit all the brass plates and other parts. Rapido even suggest makes of ESU loksound decoders of European tram engines with bells that could be used as a basis of a sound set for the engine (no J70 sound set exists of course). And all this for a price not significantly different to many other RTR loco models from some competitors. We are lucky to enjoy our hobby in such enlightened times!

• Informative/Useful 5

11 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Yes, James, it would be lovely to see a GER blue version eventually.

Chris Leigh - Yes, the extra bits in the little baggies really surpised me. You get:

Two sets of front and rear wooden access doors in the closed and open positions.

A pair of cosmetic screw couplings.

A pair of front and rear safety grills of prototypical shape to swap out the ones fitted on the model which have the cut-outs necessary for the NEM couplers.

Four safety chains and hooks.

Eight window frames so you can swap out the glazed ones (all of them if you like!) for slid-open windows. The instructions advise you need to source some 5 thou glazing sheet. None is supplied with the model.

Six different GER makers/number plates (in this version of the model they are 7126, 7128, 7129, 7131, 7137, 7139).

Four BR 32F shed plates.

Six "5" number plates.

Five 3-bolt iron straps.

Five 2-bolt iron straps (2- and 3-bolt plates are for the different external fixings of the internal cab seats where they were fixed to the body front and rear).

The brass etch is a bold move in an RTR model. Pretty sure I've never seen a manufacturer ever make this much effort to cater for the modeller who seeks a greater level of accuracy than the average customer. The out of the box owner can run the model as it is, but the more serious modeller can fit all the extra details in accordance with a photo of their particular prototype. You get a 17-page manual with very clear photos and instructions of how and where to fit all the brass plates and other parts. Rapido even suggest makes of ESU loksound decoders of European tram engines with bells that could be used as a basis of a sound set for the engine (no J70 sound set exists of course). And all this for a price not significantly different to many other RTR loco models from some competitors. We are lucky to enjoy our hobby in such enlightened times!

Informative/useful and Agree!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

My LNER 7128 version arrived this morning. I'll just let these images speak for themselves with the single comment that I think this is a product worth buying!

Dsc03023.jpg.24c91afe504d90a234e1dba8ea0952bd.jpg

Dsc03024.jpg.b10f568ff646c45468279d3da6530f55.jpg

Dsc03025.jpg.3e4ac72fd074e186a29767e7183bfae1.jpg

Dsc03031.jpg.8bd8f2a27e220a9a1c550082cd75ed1a.jpg

Dsc03026.jpg.b7fc51cd1bfe7d545ccd9dfb56e6bd3a.jpg

Dsc03027.jpg.ad5c6fcf664cfa1e5f6906e4fbc9882c.jpg

Dsc03028.jpg.38cc50667ae8f3b6ed332081148df2fa.jpg

Dsc03029.jpg.3080ccf3adc6407aa97b8a37713055fb.jpg

Dsc03030.jpg.e0ab480450bebd17d7ac083af2945ae9.jpg

Wow! Looks stunning :good_mini: You're a lucky man Martin!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Now the moment Chris has been waiting for, to see satisfied modelers receive their product... Honestly, it looks amazing. The research, level of detail, workmanship. I think Rapido have really gone to town with this, it's amazing. Well Done Model Rail & Rapido :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I agree. I haven't taken a pair of calipers to it and have no intention to, some may do so and in time there might be seen to be some dimensional errors, but the quality of finish, crispness of design, smoothness of motor (it runs like a watch), wealth of optional details and the presentation of the instruction booklet are probably being studied right now in the offices of Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan and Oxford and I hope some fruitful discussions will follow as a result.

Its early to judge after just a day, but for me this is how model railway RTR should be. I will absolutely have no reservations buying further products made by Rapido.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm not going to quote here any of the above comments - they are ALL much appreciated. However, although it has fallen to me to 'front' this project on RMweb, it is not and never has been 'my' project. I've merely had the pleasure of doing some early test-running and of figuring out how best to fit the various extra parts. It is time for credit to be given where it rightfully belongs. True, I did push the idea of the 'J70' when Ben Jones was asking about a follow-on to the Dapol-produced Sentinel but that was all. Of course, the Bachmann-produced 'USA' came next and as a Southern modeller that suited me OK. Model Rail Editor, Richard Foster, has been the driving force behind the J70 and he did the research which we supplied to Rapido Trains. Although I've done a lot of my own research on the J70s out of personal interest, Richard and Bill Schneider of Rapido Trains are the ones who are responsible for this little model being as good as it is. We are all modellers (Bill has a GWR branch line layout). The bag of extras, including the etched parts, was necessary in order to give modellers the maximum choice of details. There were so many minor variations between the individual J70s that we could not tool for all of them. Some parts had to be left to the modeller's choice. You really need to fit the doors but the rest of the parts are less important. Your model will look fine without them. It'll look great if you put some of them on - and they are not difficult to fit. My next job is to weather one. The only colour picture I can find, the wooden body is completely smoke-blackened. However, I've an MR-105 on order for that job, and they are not yet in stock!  (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Guys check out my unboxing video of the Model Rail J70!

(in all seriousness it is beautiful)

There's something very 'Rapido' about that video. I'm looking for Jason Shron in the credits!.........(CJL)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

I received mine today. Safe to say it is a beauty, model of the year candidate for sure and definitely worth the wait. It was quite surreal opening the box of a RTR steam tram!

It’s simply a sublime model, it looks spot on, the finish is fantastic, and the level of detail is brilliant. I might have a stab at fitting the detailing parts and running it in tomorrow evening, time permitting - if so, I’ll take a few photos. 

I’m a GE modeller, but its such a charming and unusual prototype that I can see these selling well and being snapped up by collectors and impulse buyers. Big thank you to MR/Rapido for their hard work and making a J70 a reality, and I’m looking forward to my second one coming when it is ready. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1