Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

I'm sure Kerno would prefer people not contacting them direct, but has anyone yet received MR-204 68226 BRITISH RAILWAYS without side valance, as I haven't seen anyone posting photos of this version?

Paul

28 minutes ago, PaulG said:

I'm sure Kerno would prefer people not contacting them direct, but has anyone yet received MR-204 68226 BRITISH RAILWAYS without side valance, as I haven't seen anyone posting photos of this version?

Paul

Still waiting for 205. So that have not all been despatched.

Bernard

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:
  2 hours ago, PaulG said:

My understanding is that Kernow despatch in the sequence they received the orders. FWIW I'm waiting on MR-201. Fingers-crossed, trying to be patient.

Rather unfortunately, something went wrong with my cc info according to Kernow. They emailed me, and while I would’ve liked to instead call them to update my information, I would rather not rack up my phone bill to call them from across the Atlantic. I have followed their directions and re-ordered my J70 with a follow up message that this order is to replace my original. Hopefully this doesn’t delay my order much.

2 hours ago, Liddy said:

My understanding is that Kernow despatch in the sequence they received the orders. FWIW I'm waiting on MR-201. Fingers-crossed, trying to be patient.

I ordered rather late (early January) and got the details through today, make of that what you will. 

9 hours ago, scots region said:

I ordered rather late (early January) and got the details through today, make of that what you will. 

My order was confirmed as received on 28th June 2017!

Paul 

11 hours ago, Liddy said:

When you read on the website and see that they arrived on 19th march and then see that orders are usually despatched within 24 hours patience can start to get a bit thin.

There should be a ban on the lucky people who have them teasing us with photos. (only joking)

Bernard

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

When you read on the website and see that they arrived on 19th march and then see that orders are usually despatched within 24 hours patience can start to get a bit thin.

That only applies to orders of stock items. Surely you cant expect them to send out hundreds of orders per model variation in under 24 hours. Even in 2 weeks that's ambitious. Just give them time.

4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

There should be a ban on the lucky people who have them teasing us with photos. (only joking)

Bernard

The operative word is 'usually'. At present the situation is not usual as Kernow is dealing with the pre-orders for up to five 'J70' models as well as their own 'Warship' diesels, all of which have come into stock at once. That's why I asked for patience. (CJL)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

That only applies to orders of stock items. Surely you cant expect them to send out hundreds of orders per model variation in under 24 hours. Even in 2 weeks that's ambitious. Just give them time.

I did put only joking just in case some one was thinking of making a sarcastic comment. It seems it did not stop you.

Unfortunately I am not as clever or as smug as you and my OCD tendencies only allow me to read what is written and not what might be intended.

I am quite happy to wait as I know they are busy.

You say "That only applies to orders of stock items". I did say that they have ben in stock since March 19th.

Bernard

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I received my two J70s yesterday, and was blown away by the quality.  The finishing, attention to detail and performance are all exceptional - so much so that this has to be one of the best RTR models ever produced. Congrats to Rapido and Model Rail.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I got my J70 today! Blown away with the detail and weight.

So happy I ordered one, another quality model from Rapido! And hats off to the Model Rail team for getting us a ready to run J70! Thank you everyone involved especially Kernow for managing to do next day delivery to Northern Ireland, something everyone else fails at.

20190404_145748.jpg

20190404_151151.jpg

• Like 9

Quite nice and easy to install the Decoder, body comes off without issue after removing the couplers and taking out the screws.

The Gaugemaster DCC23 does fit, although goes a little high. But wrapped it in Electrical tape so no issue there. Will be a interesting one to see what sound decoders will fit though. Although great the speaker already installed.

Chris

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Liddy said:

Hi, I hope I haven't missed the relevant post like a complete numpty. Has someone fitted a sound decoder?

I'm not aware of anyone having fitted a sound decoder yet. I know one or two folk who have it on their 'to do' list. (CJL)

I have just happily received my MR-209 J70 yesterday. Took me by surprise too, wasn't expecting it until Wednesday. Very happy with the quick shipping and of course the model itself. And the half foot of track it's actually been able to be run on show a very smooth running mechanism. The quality is superb, and all the extra details and goodies are just fantastic for the cost. Once I get back home in a few weeks I'll start setting about adding some of them and look to start weathering it.
D3t50AgWsAAupYK.jpg

• Like 4

I noticed up thread some discussions about the suitability of using older controllers with coreless motor equipped models like this. I have a very elderly H&M Clipper controller and before I order a J70 wanted some feedback about this particular controllers suitability?

4 hours ago, Lord_Woody said:

I noticed up thread some discussions about the suitability of using older controllers with coreless motor equipped models like this. I have a very elderly H&M Clipper controller and before I order a J70 wanted some feedback about this particular controllers suitability?

I have a Clipper that dates from around 1960. I wouldn't use it with any modern locomotive - indeed - I only use it to power accessories. I haven't tried a 'J70' on any really old controllers simply because the risk of damage is too great. However, I use a Gaugemaster Model D - which is over 20 years old - and that is fine. (CJL)

57 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I have a Clipper that dates from around 1960. I wouldn't use it with any modern locomotive - indeed - I only use it to power accessories. I haven't tried a 'J70' on any really old controllers simply because the risk of damage is too great. However, I use a Gaugemaster Model D - which is over 20 years old - and that is fine. (CJL)

OK, thanks for the advice. I'd say my Clipper dates from around 1985, is there any specific reason you say it would damage the loco? I have run my Hornby J15 using it and it ran beautifully, plus in the past an On30 Bachman gas mechanical. I have to say I've never run these for long using it so I'm suddenly a bit concerned. 

J70 68226 was allocated to Colchester from 23/06/1946 until withdrawn on 2/08/1955, the last member of the class. It was renumbered 22/05/1948 and general overhaul 26/05/1948, so given the condition in the Lens of Sutton photo below, the photo was taken shortly after returning to Colchester. 

Like other's have said, the Model Rail model is very good; I've just got to some very slight weathering and sort the side windows! (I don't think I can alter the chimney to as shown in the photo!

Paul

J70 68226 at Colchester.jpg

IMG_20190410_145945.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, Lord_Woody said:

OK, thanks for the advice. I'd say my Clipper dates from around 1985, is there any specific reason you say it would damage the loco? I have run my Hornby J15 using it and it ran beautifully, plus in the past an On30 Bachman gas mechanical. I have to say I've never run these for long using it so I'm suddenly a bit concerned. 

As I understand it - and my personal knowledge of electronics is very limited - coreless motors are susceptible to the voltage 'spikes' which are a symptom of the old-style rheostat controllers. These can cause the motor to overheat and burn out. As far as I know, Hornby don't use coreless motors and I suspect Bachmann doesn't either. They tend to be used where a high power motor of restricted size is needed, as in the 'J70'. (CJL)