dibber25

Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

Superb movie, Chris.   Now how about fitting a smoke unit?   All the best Colin.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Superb movie, Chris.   Now how about fitting a smoke unit?   All the best Colin.

Thanks. It followed a short session filming it on the wide open spaces of my Canadian layout but it looked very strange although it was a good deal easier to let the loco run. I've never shot movie with my camera before and I've lost the instruction book, so it was done by guesswork, trial and error. I did think that the one thing missing was some smoke. Can't imagine how you'd fit a smoke unit, though, especially with the spark arrestor in the way - and I have a feeling the internal part of the chimney is part of the metal casting and is probably solid. If I'd had more space, I could have shown how it 'coasts' when you take the power off and it continues gradually slowing down without the slowing 'chuffs'. I did discover, though, that pressing the red button over-rides the stay alive and brings the loco to an immediate stop - important when you've only got a 3ft long diorama to work on. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is great news in just finishing som 7mm Y6's so I now will have to have them fitted with sound chips. Smoke generators are something of a mystery to me.

Marc

Hi all

Without wishing to drag up the discussion about controllers again, would a Gaugemaster Combi be suitable for running a J70. They are not, to my knowledge, a feedback design and thus should be safe to use? 

Cheers

James

Combi's are fine for coreless motors - they don't do any fancy feedback or PWM stuff.

• Thanks 1

So I'm looking to add a section of "rope" for the bell, anyone got references, drawings, anything that shows how it was laid out across on the J70s?

• Thanks 1

I have a full set of works GA drawings for both the J70 and Y6 and I can't find a dimension anywhere on the drawings. I have used 0.6mm brass wire for my 7mm Y6 version.

Marc  

• Informative/Useful 1

I've got a J70 which has stripped some of the teeth on one of the gears; my warranty has run out, I've rung Kernow and because it's out of Warranty there's nothing they can do. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement or where I can get one?

2 hours ago, Lu4472ke said:

I've got a J70 which has stripped some of the teeth on one of the gears; my warranty has run out, I've rung Kernow and because it's out of Warranty there's nothing they can do. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement or where I can get one?

I have a spare chassis which was running poorly and Rapido sent me a replacement. I don't know what the problem was but working on the principle that working poorly is better than not at all you are welcome to have what spares you want from it. I live in the USA so it might be better to just post the gears in rather than send the whole thing. PM me if interested! 

5 hours ago, Salmotrutta said:

I have a spare chassis which was running poorly and Rapido sent me a replacement. I don't know what the problem was but working on the principle that working poorly is better than not at all you are welcome to have what spares you want from it. I live in the USA so it might be better to just post the gears in rather than send the whole thing. PM me if interested! 

PM sent

Posted (edited)

I've just had this back from Digitrains - no details or weathering yet.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

Can somebody please answer a question for me ?

I have a J70 which I am running on dc with a gaugemaster combi controller.

The loco unfortunately isn’t that smooth running especially at scale speed.

Having no experience of coreless motors , I was wondering whether installing a dcc chip (for use with a

Rocco Z21) is likely to improve the running before going to the expense.

Much appreciated.

Perhaps your model is faulty, or the wheels or track needs cleaning? No issues with mine—it performs extremely well on the same type of controller.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Second one ,both the same unfortunately.

Lovely model just seems to ‘lurch’ at slow speed and noisy when increased !

I’ve cleaned the track, wheels and lightly lubricated.

Run in for a couple of hours each direction.

Just though it might the controller, the only other one for dc is a set type Bachmann and didn’t want to chance it.

With thanks.

Mine have been fine with even a Hornby train set DC controller, which I had to dig out of a box in the garage when my Gaugemaster controller decided to give up the electronic ghost. So if it's happening with two different ones on your layout, I'd be a little inclined to suspect the controller rather than the locos. Might be worth trying a different loco, if you've got one to test. Otherwise, I think they'd be fine with the Bachmann controller anyway.

They are reasonably easy to chip, though, so if you're expecting to use them on DCC then you might as well try it. If it doesn't solve the problem then that does at least pin it down to the loco.

Mark