Which decoder in Bachmann DCC fitted Class 25 ?

Mike Buckner

Hello,

Bought from ebay, Bachmann Class 25 No 25034 Aberystwyth Castle BR blue, with Domino lights, DCC fitted at the factory.

This was originally a part of a DCC introductory passenger set 30-050.

Does anybody know which decoder has been fitted, or who manufactured the decoder?
Or, even better, does anyone have a copy of the instructions that go with it?

Thanks,

Mike

If manufactured before about 2010, then I'd guess at it having the 36-553 (8 pin) or 36-554 (21 pin) which are functionally the same decoder, a basic ESU lokpilot which is a decent match for the relatively easy load of this usually very smooth running mechanism.

If it is of later manufacture, then the SoundTraxx 21 pin; which is as piss-poor as the lamentably corrupt spelling suggests, although the basic qualities of the mechanism will probably prevent this showing too badly.

Bach's guides here:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php

I did a comparison demo for a friend who had been sold the current Bach 21 pin p-p decoder to go with his MR 0-6-0, using a Lenz Silver 21 pin as the simple to plug in alternative. We can have granular and irregular, or smooooooth operation. Then not liking the price of the Lenz 21 pin, I soldered in a Lenz Standard v1 for the same performance at half the price,, and he was v. happy and took the dreadful Bach decoder back for a refund.

Quite how such cruddy devices sell - and it is not the only one - when superior performance is available for a very modest price from Lenz, and more recently Zimo, just baffles me...

I thought orignally the Bachmann decoder (before they went to soundtraxx) was a presumably cut down and rebadged lenz?

Bachmann Europe haven't used Lenz decoders for more than 10 years or so.

Rather than "cut down" models, they were simply old designs, discontinued from the Lenz range.

The 4-function 36-550 was a version of the old Lenz 1014 (1014E).

The 56-551 was a Lenz L1000.

And unless I am very mistaken their availability was pretty brief, the ESU based 36-553/554 was first available about ten years ago...

The Lenz supplied 36-550 was around for a quite a few years in the early 00's, before being superseded by the short lived (and awful) 1-function 36-551 & the longer lived 2-function 36-552.

The 36-552 stayed in the range for quite a few years, despite its obsolete spec, running alongside the 36-553 & 554..

IIRC, the ESU manufactured 36-553 was introduced around 2005/06'ish and the 36-554 21-pin version of it, about 18 months or so later.

The early 553 was 2 digit address only, but later models were upgraded to 4 digit address when the 554 was released.

Oh dear!

I'm sounding like some sort of decoder nerd!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Bought from ebay, Bachmann Class 25 No 25034 Aberystwyth Castle BR blue, with Domino lights, DCC fitted at the factory.

This was originally a part of a DCC introductory passenger set 30-050.

Does anybody know which decoder has been fitted, or who manufactured the decoder?

Or, even better, does anyone have a copy of the instructions that go with it?

Thanks,

Mike

This set came out in 2008. The 21-pin version of the class 25 with lights, first came out in 2007, but they may possibly have continued to use 8-pin models in the DCC starter sets for a while.

Thank you, everybody.

So it's a Bachmann 36-553 / 36-554  (basically a lokpilot).
In practice, the Back-EMF works well. Rock steady speed, sensible regular speed increments. There is a slight hum.
The Loco is a sweet runner - I do like the Bachmann Class 25.

34C - for a few years, a while ago, I lived in Hertford. Currently stationed at 75A.
Have seen some YouTube videos comparing the re-badged SoundTraxx with decent decoders - not impressed!

Cheers

Mike

Archived