Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

• RMweb Gold

And mine has arrived and is currently running in on the rolling road. It is very grey and very bland - just how it should be. The BR arrows look wrong when you view it, but comparing to photos of the prototype they are spot-on. I was going to make very minor criticism that the overhead warning flashes on the nose-ends were in the wrong place, then noticed that on the other end they were right, Turns our they were in different places from one end to the other on the prototype and Bachmann have replicated this - well done to them. 

Thanks to Derails for their usual excellent services.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

yeah I'm not sure they picked the right loco there, those BR arrows really jar when looking at them even if they do match what that particular example carried.

I love the livery, but I'd have preferred a Scottish loco or one which would offer easier renumbering and I'm not convinved I want to pay the Limited Editon premium for such a bland livery that might be a good one to get practice with the airbrush on.

It must be getting really hard for the manufacturers picking what to produce these days the way prices are heading

Mine should be arriving today hopefully... agree it looks great in photos and look forward to seeing in the flesh.  I'm not sure i'd agree this is the easiest place to practice your airbrushing - the livery is wonderfully bland but there are actually quite a few details to this compared to say a banger blue or even LL blue version.  Picking out all the grills in black neatly won't be that easy to do, and getting the cantrail stripes right (which are so prominent on this livery) won't be easy.  Places like Derails are selling them at a decent price not much above the normal price for a Bach 37 these days too.  I couldn't say no (in fact I seem to have been breeding Class 37s recently with 012 & 032 also having recently arrived...).

• Agree 1

Our rep 37032's are in stock https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163666770584?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Our sound 32-775SDDS are arriving on Tuesday. I s hall be only posting on Wednesday next week, as I'm going to the Swanage diesel gala next Friday. I will be at the KWVR gala this Saturday at Keighley station

Cheers

Philip

Good morning everyone

Our 37032 sound 32-775SDDS are arriving tomorrow. They are now listed on eBay for posting Wednesday evening. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163677956715?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 £229.45

This will be my only visit to the post office this week, due to being at the Swanage diesel gala Friday & Saturday.

Once again thanks for your support

Philip

• RMweb Premium

Interesting one, I bought the lovely Mainline Blue 37055 ‘Rail Celebrity’ (32-775TL) model and I’ve noticed that the bogies don’t swing as far as in previous Bachmann Class 37s.

I’ve got 16 other ‘37’s from across all the batches but this is the first one that cannot handle my 2nd radius curved test track.

The Bachmann pamphlet of course recommends that 2nd radius is the minimum you’d want to use, but it has to be forced to fit on the curve, and then cannot operate at slow speed due to the flange resistance, and derails at higher speed! Can that be correct?

Has anyone noticed similar on their latest new Bachmann Class 37s, or have I just got a dud one?

The picture attached shows the difference in maximum bogie swing, 37055 is on the left, an older Bachmann 37 is on the right (the 37406 release from c.2010).

Many thanks,

James

2E9BF31C-EABA-456A-A1B8-08C52BC297C3.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Interesting one, I bought the lovely Mainline Blue 37055 ‘Rail Celebrity’ (32-775TL) model and I’ve noticed that the bogies don’t swing as far as in previous Bachmann Class 37s.

I’ve got 16 other ‘37’s from across all the batches but this is the first one that cannot handle my 2nd radius curved test track.

The Bachmann pamphlet of course recommends that 2nd radius is the minimum you’d want to use, but it has to be forced to fit on the curve, and then cannot operate at slow speed due to the flange resistance, and derails at higher speed! Can that be correct?

Has anyone noticed similar on their latest new Bachmann Class 37s, or have I just got a dud one?

The picture attached shows the difference in maximum bogie swing, 37055 is on the left, an older Bachmann 37 is on the right (the 37406 release from c.2010).

Many thanks,

James

2E9BF31C-EABA-456A-A1B8-08C52BC297C3.jpeg

My new Rep 37142 is just the same, chipping it was harder as those two nose screws were under the bogie. 

Ok on my layout, so I didn’t investigate why they have so little swing. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

My new Rep 37142 is just the same, chipping it was harder as those two nose screws were under the bogie. 

Ok on my layout, so I didn’t investigate why they have so little swing. 

Roy

Yes I had the same problem chipping my 37142 too

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the quick responses guys - I guess good to know it’s not faulty at least! :good:

I didn’t expect that even in 2019 Bachmann are still tinkering with their old 37 toolings!

My old Wells Green depot layout’s got some tight pointwork so it may need a bit of tactical grinding to remove whatever’s restricting it :)

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Thanks very much for the quick responses guys - I guess good to know it’s not faulty at least! :good:

I didn’t expect that even in 2019 Bachmann are still tinkering with their old 37 toolings!

My old Wells Green depot layout’s got some tight pointwork so it may need a bit of tactical grinding to remove whatever’s restricting it :)

Cheers,

James

Be interested to hear what you find the constraint is. 

Roy

• Like 1

The little plastic blocks inside the cast chassis at the open end (you can see the bogie touching them). I guess they are too wide I attacked them with a scalpel and all is fine now (I only tapered them at the open end), whether I have caused problems elsewhere remains to be seen but so far 37142 is as happy as Larry now on my 2nd radius curve.

I didn't take any pics as I just assumed I'd got one with thicker plastic and plus I'm never usually in any position to help anyone :D:D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

The little plastic blocks inside the cast chassis at the open end (you can see the bogie touching them). I guess they are too wide I attacked them with a scalpel and all is fine now (I only tapered them at the open end), whether I have caused problems elsewhere remains to be seen but so far 37142 is as happy as Larry now on my 2nd radius curve.

I didn't take any pics as I just assumed I'd got one with thicker plastic and plus I'm never usually in any position to help anyone :D:D

Strikes me that if you have had to go to that trouble, Bachmann have a bit of an issue here. If the tooling has been modified or has worn to the point that the bogies will not turn to support R2 curves (and I guess medium radius points?), there are going to be many unhappy people.

Roy 

Edited by Roy Langridge
typo

Bogie swing issues on newer Bachmann 37's  - 37 142/37 032 and possibly others ?  Small plastic blocks have been added to the inside front edges of the chassis block - these restrict the swing of the bogie/worm cover plate.  They are NOT present on earlier versions, why they have been added is a bit of a mystery ? 

The poor photo shows them at the tip of the screwdriver - very difficult to hold the camera, a light and take photo, all at the same time ! 

Removing the bogie frames gives easier access to the front nose end screws.

HTH

DSC02572.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text

• RMweb Gold

Seems utterly non-sensical to add this restriction if it means that the loco will no longer go round what is generally considered to be the target minimum radius and it will probably result in a lot of returns where people find it will not run on their layout. For me, not a problem on my layouts which have a much larger minimum radius, but my running in track which is radius 2 would be out of the question. Good job I couldn't be bothered to get it out and ran 37142 in on a rolling road.

Roy

Also noticed that on some of these new 37's , the pipes from the bogie brake cylinders are not glued to the top edges of the frames, resulting in the pipes getting snagged/broken/missing.  

Another issue is with the pick-up wires from the bogies, unlike earlier models, the wires are now no longer fixed/hot melted into the strain relief fitting recesses on the lower sides of the bogie tower. 

These production steps appear to have been missed at the factory, all very well constantly increasing prices, but QC needs to be improved also. 

Top photo shows - ex factory

Lower photo - shows where the wires "used" to be secured/anchored into the recess. 

DSC02573.JPG

DSC02574.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Hmmm. I'll have to have a look at my 37 012 (ok not a rep limited edition). It certainly has the bogie brake cylinder pipe issue mentioned by Tractor_37260 as i had to carefully bend one back into position. As I tested it on a rolling road I didn't notice the bogie swing. In Bachmanns favour I have to say it is a superbly quiet and smooth running loco - my best Bachmann loco for a few years.

PJ10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PJ10 said:

Evening all,

Hmmm. I'll have to have a look at my 37 012 (ok not a rep limited edition). It certainly has the bogie brake cylinder pipe issue mentioned by Tractor_37260 as i had to carefully bend one back into position. As I tested it on a rolling road I didn't notice the bogie swing. In Bachmanns favour I have to say it is a superbly quiet and smooth running loco - my best Bachmann loco for a few years.

PJ10

Just checked my 37012 and it has the same bogie swing issue.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

Hello everyone 

I has received class 37142 general grey livery have only one side of large BR symbol and other side none ?

that correct livery ? 

Thank you 

BR arrows on both sides of mine. Looks like you should send it back.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

BR arrows on both sides of mine. Looks like you should send it back.

Roy

Actually that makes a more suitable renumber, if you can remove the otherside...

37133 / 262 at Inverness come to mind in Winter 1989 come to mind, used as pilots on the south bound London services including sleepers, with a 47.., or with Regional Railways stock to kyle.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Might be me.... But it appears to sit lower on its bogies... And the restriction is needed to stop the wheels rubbing the chassis.... Goes through a 2nd radius curve...... Just... 

Edited by pheaton

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Got to agree on this. I know they are correct for that particular locomotive but the over size double arrows are too ‘in your face’ for my liking. Look how much nicer it is without them. Might have gone for one if it was more of a plain example but instead went for L/L 025.