Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Hi guys,

Coming back to this discussion from earlier in the year on the latest 37s which have a limited turning capability (i.e. 37055 and more) - here’s a picture of the cause just to help anyone else who’d been wondering what it was!

2ABED1A1-21AD-4F6B-AB66-E9D91BA96A70.jpeg.7a796f9a1a22ba8b71b4ea053dff6a1e.jpeg

As per Iron Horse’s suggestion it’s these blocks which need fiddling with (circled in yellow on my pic) - they aren’t present on the older 37s (chassis on left) so I’ve just taken a knife and popped them off completely, it was only lightly glued and so just pinged off fortunately! 

All runs good now, and ready for the detail fun to begin! :good:

Cheers,

James

Thanks for posting this. I am hoping to buy Colas 521 and possibly DRS 424 and WCRC 669 which are due in December. Good to know for me especially because I have some tight radius curves on my layout and some complex point work meaning that I need my locos to be able to navigate them. 

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick video on refinishing a Bachmann 37, in this case a 37142 in Drab Grey into 37262 Dounreay.

This involved removing the numbers, logo & noses and is a demo video of the work for those who have thought about but not tried to do it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Great video ADB, thanks for posting that, hopefully it'll tempt people into actually doing some basic modelling rather than screaming and shouting when the manufacturers dont produce a model as it was at an exact time!

I've been renumbering etc for the best part of 35 years now and I always take ages to make sure the decals are linear, by eye.  Never thought for a second of using one of those maths set angles!!!!  I'll be using one from now on, ta for that tip!

It also goes to show that there is no set way to do things, personally I remove factory prints with t-cut, which provides a glossy base for the new decals (sometimes I'll gloss varnish too), then seal them with decalfix, or gloss varnish again - although doing it that way means the whole shell will need satin or matt varnished to even it all up.  I also use gloss varnish to apply nameplates etc

Might be a good idea to post your video in the modifying thread?  Maybe even a sticky in there?

Edited by JiLo

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JiLo said:

Great video ADB, thanks for posting that, hopefully it'll tempt people into actually doing some basic modelling rather than screaming and shouting when the manufacturers dont produce a model as it was at an exact time!

I've been renumbering etc for the best part of 35 years now and I always take ages to make sure the decals are linear, by eye.  Never thought for a second of using one of those maths set angles!!!!  I'll be using one from now on, ta for that tip!

Exactly that!

Many thanks @adb968008 for posting this which I've bookmarked. Used to have a never ending production line of kits as a lad but it's 35 years since I last did any modelling. Was terrified of ruining an expensive loco but now I've seen what's involved, you've inspired me to give it a go.

I'd thought glue would be better than tape but now I've seen the video, I'll be using tape. I failed my maths exams but finally, for the first time in my 52 years, I now know what use I'll get from a set square :good_mini:

Quick question, once finished, do you varnish the model to protect the transfers or not?. I'm leaning towards it being unnecessary unless the loco was going to be frequently handled. From what I've seen though online, most of the pro modellers always then finish with varnish.

• RMweb Gold

I used to varnish them years ago, more recently I don't bother.

Most of my models aren't overly handled (and I wasn't exactly delicate when handling in the video) but transfers / names hold out, Ive some unvarnished numbered / double sided nameplate  taped locos going on over a decade.

The nice thing is if you change your mind in the future, its easy to undo and it leaves no traces when you do.

I just ordered some replacement noses from Rainbow railways for 37262, (coincidentally they are ex37261) as the ones just fitted don't have headlamps, whilst correct for the livery for a short period, 262 actually had a far north style headlamp before swapping for its standard 37 headlamp), so those noses will be off again soon.

i’m thinking of what to do my second 37142 as, one thought is 37133, another IS 37. The nose donor in the video (37264), i’m actually thinking to do as either 37142 in Blue or 37130 as they have the clips above those as 37142 did).

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Here's a quick video on refinishing a Bachmann 37, in this case a 37142 in Drab Grey into 37262 Dounreay.

This involved removing the numbers, logo & noses and is a demo video of the work for those who have thought about but not tried to do it.

Nice work ADB  coincidentally I've also just finished the same conversion, I'll put some pics up on OMWB thread shortly.  The toothpick tip is interesting, I used the edge of a curved blade hobby knife with similar results. A couple of additions you can or perhaps already plan to add, RETB nose aerials and the classic car spot lights, 262 was also a "steamer" with open boiler port and pressure release valves.  I used to use double sided tape for nameplates a few years back, but found that eventually the glue dries out and the plates fall off leaving a glue residue that's difficult to remove cleanly on the loco side,  presently use Matt varnish. If one prefers using double sided tape, the easy way is to lay the plate on the DS tape and then cut around it. 

I remember well that winter here of Dec 1990/Jan 91 got stuck in the snow a number of times !! 

Although 37 133 worked off Inverness, it was never allocated here,  although it was at ED and ML.  With a bit of work and some Yellow paint - perhaps ED 37 232 for your other 142 ? 

Always nice to see some more modelling inspiration................

Regards

Ken

• Like 1

Going back to the problem some people may have getting there 37s round 2nd radius curves does it affect all the latest models? After seeing the testing process in the Bachmann behind the scenes videos surely theyd pick up on a model that couldn't make it round R2 curves?

Models im currently deciding between are 

32-775SDDS 37032 "Mirage" - Weathered Red Stripe Railfreight with Sound

32-781B Class 37/0 37041 in BR blue split headcode

32-781SD Class 37 (37116) BR Blue Large Logo

32-791DS Class 37 (D6739) BR Green Small Yellow Panels

Are they all affected?

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2019 at 17:52, tractor_37260 said:

A couple of additions you can or perhaps already plan to add, RETB nose aerials and the classic car spot lights,

Spare noses arrived this evening... i’ll be giving my 37262 a further nose upgrade with one pair

All ex 37261, which is on my todo list at some point.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Going back to the problem some people may have getting there 37s round 2nd radius curves does it affect all the latest models? After seeing the testing process in the Bachmann behind the scenes videos surely theyd pick up on a model that couldn't make it round R2 curves?

Models im currently deciding between are 

32-775SDDS 37032 "Mirage" - Weathered Red Stripe Railfreight with Sound

32-781B Class 37/0 37041 in BR blue split headcode

32-781SD Class 37 (37116) BR Blue Large Logo

32-791DS Class 37 (D6739) BR Green Small Yellow Panels

Are they all affected?

My layout is mainly 3rd Radius or more but I do have  curve of 2nd Radius on a return from a goods loop.  I have several new Class 37s including 37032 from your list above and have had no issues so far.  It looks the mod is a simple one anyway if needed.  All the newer 37s run very sweetly (some of the original ones seem growly in comparison)

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I’ve just collected a pair of the rep 37’s Stainless Pioneer and a sound fitted 37025. Both locos are finished to a really good standard as we’ve come to expect from Bachmann. 

I’m a big fan of Bachmann and have at least 150 locos/units and only ever had one issue in a new unit purchased over 15 years ago whilst in a Bournemouth model shop. They phoned the service team and put me on as there had been an issue with gears slipping out of line in transit. The service team back then were happy to advise and asked if I was happy enough to do the fix required which I didn’t have any issue with and they even said if you can’t or find a different issue to send it to them.

I gave 37025 a test as it’s actually a present but despite it running smoothly, lights working and moving off as you would expect for a sound fitted loco - no sound. I checked the sound volume just in case it had been set at 0 but still nothing. At this point I decided to give Bachmann a call. I’ve no issue with the person I spoke to and I get they must speak to all sorts of ability in the hobby as was asked if I’d pressed F1 on my controller first. I explained the issues and was told to

send it in. I asked can I not check first as it was most likely an issue with the speaker maybe not being connected. They advised they did not recommend this so I asked if they have a return post for sending faulty models back as the shop I purchased from was 200 miles away so not easy to return to swap. And this is where my issue really is that it would cost me around £12 to send recorded by RM to cover the value for Bachmann to look at my faulty model. Both Hornby and Rails as examples have free post labels and have offered this quickly to help sort problems. 

Given the prices now expected I feel a bit let down on this particular issue by Bachmann. The reason I can say that my model was faulty is I took the body off to check and found that one speaker wire was broken - it had been snagged during assembly so not a major issue to fix. I’ve replaced the broken wire and all works fine. I actually quite like the sound file and drive lock features now included. 

This doesn’t detract from the models in any way and I will still be buying more Bachmann but just felt this experience has let me down.

thanks

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi everyone,

I’ve just collected a pair of the rep 37’s Stainless Pioneer and a sound fitted 37025. Both locos are finished to a really good standard as we’ve come to expect from Bachmann. 

I’m a big fan of Bachmann and have at least 150 locos/units and only ever had one issue in a new unit purchased over 15 years ago whilst in a Bournemouth model shop. They phoned the service team and put me on as there had been an issue with gears slipping out of line in transit. The service team back then were happy to advise and asked if I was happy enough to do the fix required which I didn’t have any issue with and they even said if you can’t or find a different issue to send it to them.

I gave 37025 a test as it’s actually a present but despite it running smoothly, lights working and moving off as you would expect for a sound fitted loco - no sound. I checked the sound volume just in case it had been set at 0 but still nothing. At this point I decided to give Bachmann a call. I’ve no issue with the person I spoke to and I get they must speak to all sorts of ability in the hobby as was asked if I’d pressed F1 on my controller first. I explained the issues and was told to

send it in. I asked can I not check first as it was most likely an issue with the speaker maybe not being connected. They advised they did not recommend this so I asked if they have a return post for sending faulty models back as the shop I purchased from was 200 miles away so not easy to return to swap. And this is where my issue really is that it would cost me around £12 to send recorded by RM to cover the value for Bachmann to look at my faulty model. Both Hornby and Rails as examples have free post labels and have offered this quickly to help sort problems. 

Given the prices now expected I feel a bit let down on this particular issue by Bachmann. The reason I can say that my model was faulty is I took the body off to check and found that one speaker wire was broken - it had been snagged during assembly so not a major issue to fix. I’ve replaced the broken wire and all works fine. I actually quite like the sound file and drive lock features now included. 

This doesn’t detract from the models in any way and I will still be buying more Bachmann but just felt this experience has let me down.

thanks

Mark

Your first point of call with any issue is always with the retailer, not the manufacturer, unless you have bought it directly from them. 

I don't see how you can fault Bachmann for this, they did offer you to return it to them, they have no need to offer free returns, plus you opened it up yourself after the call, so why not just do it before the call?  Seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill

4 minutes ago, JiLo said:

Your first point of call with any issue is always with the retailer, not the manufacturer, unless you have bought it directly from them. 

I don't see how you can fault Bachmann for this, they did offer you to return it to them, they have no need to offer free returns, plus you opened it up yourself after the call, so why not just do it before the call?  Seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill

Hi Jilo

Sorry I don’t think you actually read everything I wrote - it would mean a 200 mile journey back to the retailer so not practical on this occasion and very much not having a moan at Bachmann. You’ll note how few issues I’ve encountered.  Just pointing out this was disappointing with today’s prices this is poor compared to Hornby and others. And the past experience from Bachmann service team. I’ve worked in retail for 20 years so well aware of consumer rights and others may not be in a position to confidently diagnose and fix an issue to save this cost. 

Thanks

Mark

2 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Jilo

Sorry I don’t think you actually read everything I wrote - it would mean a 200 mile journey back to the retailer so not practical on this occasion and very much not having a moan at Bachmann. You’ll note how few issues I’ve encountered.  Just pointing out this was disappointing with today’s prices this is poor compared to Hornby and others. And the past experience from Bachmann service team. I’ve worked in retail for 20 years so well aware of consumer rights and others may not be in a position to confidently diagnose and fix an issue to save this cost. 

Thanks

Mark

I read everything you wrote Mark, what would you have done if Bachmann said 'return it to your retailer'?   I presume the retailer has an address you could have posted the loco back to?  They might not have a free returns policy either and you would still have had to pay.  I woudn't expect free postage, its nice when its offered, but its not a given right.  

Some people may not be able to fix an issue themselves, but the majority of people would contact the retailer they bought it from.

As it was a possible electronics issue and not a mechanical one, I can see why they asked you to return rather than try fix yourself.  

I'm sorry but I still find this is an unnecessary dig at Bachmann.

10 minutes ago, JiLo said:

I read everything you wrote Mark, what would you have done if Bachmann said 'return it to your retailer'?   I presume the retailer has an address you could have posted the loco back to?  They might not have a free returns policy either and you would still have had to pay.  I woudn't expect free postage, its nice when its offered, but its not a given right.  

Some people may not be able to fix an issue themselves, but the majority of people would contact the retailer they bought it from.

As it was a possible electronics issue and not a mechanical one, I can see why they asked you to return rather than try fix yourself.  

I'm sorry but I still find this is an unnecessary dig at Bachmann.

Hi Jilo,

Actually under the 2015 consumer act you are entitled to ask for a refund on postage to return faulty items to a retailer so that isn’t an issue. That however creates a cost for a small business which is unfair for them to absorb. I was very clear this wasn’t a pop at Bachmann, I’ve spent a lot over the years and still will I was just sharing that this experience was below the standard I expect from

them at today’s prices when it’s a fault of manufacturing. 

Mark

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Jilo,

Actually under the 2015 consumer act you are entitled to ask for a refund on postage to return faulty items to a retailer so that isn’t an issue. That however creates a cost for a small business which is unfair for them to absorb. I was very clear this wasn’t a pop at Bachmann, I’ve spent a lot over the years and still will I was just sharing that this experience was below the standard I expect from

them at today’s prices when it’s a fault of manufacturing. 

Mark

You didnt buy it from Bachmann so why expect free postage?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Actually under the 2015 consumer act you are entitled to ask for a refund on postage to return faulty items to a retailer so that isn’t an issue.

Yes - to the retailer - not the manufacturer. If you can do that, I'm putting a washing machine in the post.

We see this all the time on here. Customer buys a model from a shop/eBayer/trader and finds a fault. Then decides that they are so important the manufacturer should deal with them directly. That's not the law, you return the item to the retailer and they post it off (free to you) to the manufacturer if they aren't a repair agent. Bachmann's team will go the extra mile to help, as they have in your case, but there have to be limits or the Barwell postman would be struggling in with mountains of models to be looked over at Bachmann's expense. Remember, they only have your word there is a fault and, sadly, they can tell plenty of stories where this isn't entirely accurate from others in the past. 

Your choice to buy from something a 200-mile trip away is unfortunate, but not the manufacturer's fault. This is why it's always sensible to have models tested in the shop - the reason I like to buy from model shops if at all possible.  

15 minutes ago, JiLo said:

I was very clear this wasn’t a pop at Bachmann

A post like this on a public form looks very like a pop, even if you don't think it is.

• Agree 4

On 10/10/2019 at 07:34, Matt said:

My layout is mainly 3rd Radius or more but I do have  curve of 2nd Radius on a return from a goods loop.  I have several new Class 37s including 37032 from your list above and have had no issues so far.  It looks the mod is a simple one anyway if needed.  All the newer 37s run very sweetly (some of the original ones seem growly in comparison)

Authentic then? :prankster:

Jason

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Yes - to the retailer - not the manufacturer. If you can do that, I'm putting a washing machine in the post.

We see this all the time on here. Customer buys a model from a shop/eBayer/trader and finds a fault. Then decides that they are so important the manufacturer should deal with them directly. That's not the law, you return the item to the retailer and they post it off (free to you) to the manufacturer if they aren't a repair agent. Bachmann's team will go the extra mile to help, as they have in your case, but there have to be limits or the Barwell postman would be struggling in with mountains of models to be looked over at Bachmann's expense. Remember, they only have your word there is a fault and, sadly, they can tell plenty of stories where this isn't entirely accurate from others in the past. 

Your choice to buy from something a 200-mile trip away is unfortunate, but not the manufacturer's fault. This is why it's always sensible to have models tested in the shop - the reason I like to buy from model shops if at all possible.  

A post like this on a public form looks very like a pop, even if you don't think it is.

That’s the nature of the internet, people like to gripe about stuff.

my own experience with Bachmann has been 50/50. A decade ago I sent a 25 back for repair. When it was returned the buffer beam spilt in tow. It became quite obvious they had dropped the model and tried to glue it back together. Eventually they sent me a new chassis.

recently I brought a new sound 47 offa fella on eBay ( won’t do that again as no warranty unless it’s a shop ). Stuttered all over the place, sent back to Bachmann ( I’d just sent another back twice, as the original repair wasn’t good enough ). They said the sound chips knackered and it’s not under warranty. I said fine, please quote to replace sound chip, they said “ we can’t it’s not under warranty “. Errrrrrr.

so mixed feelings - the service has been more KIA than Mercedes .( other car manufacturers are available and I’m sure your personal KIA has never missed a beat ..)

on the flip side , the lady that runs it, has always been more than helpful with enquires regarding spares etc and is very pleasant .

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I finally picked up this regional limited edition in the last few days, It seems to have largely passed the crowd by...

07AEA51E-FAAE-4849-96CD-55903F24394B.jpeg.33b1078876e93efa48040c8dabade4d8.jpeg

Although a Stratford creation, it got all the way to Scotland with reasonable frequency on the WCML.

2E751460-91EF-4EB5-9929-09AB73928B67.jpeg.2d5b277a86df06bd9de5c024990ff34b.jpeg

not many chances to get RFT General on your layout

338AF2D3-EC58-4906-9825-E6A624CD01CD.jpeg.2a84577875f077a2d3c3bda4547407c5.jpeg

Tinsley eventually got hold of it, off’d the sparrow and added the depot plaque, then it was seen across East Yorkshire too.

Seemed to be happy with Containers, Cement, Peakstone workings, it did a few Manchester-Blackpool workings for a period one summer, i think 1989, then it dissapeared as quickly as it came.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...