Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Derails Models said:

Another rep special arriving into the Wales and West Midlands is 32-390DB, EWS Livery Class 37, 37704

49173185246_78148b2150_c.jpg

32-390DB by Derails Models, on Flickr

Got the spacing and weight  of E W & S spot on - looks so wrong, but that was just how the prototype was.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, 47423 said:

Lasted till at least May 91 without. 

16 minutes ago, girlinb said:

Yep a quick Google find pics with out headlights as well .... always worth a quick search before making an incorrect comment

I did - it was the only photo that came up using just the No...(heaps of Blue photos) anyway I'm more familiar with it later as "Oor Wullie"  the model does however have the correct absent nose handrails at the No 2 end...........

On 13/12/2019 at 14:45, 47423 said:

Can anyone tell me if 37275 Stainless Pioneer has the frost grilles included with the loco 

Thanks.

Hi,

I just double checked mine and yes it does have the frost grills in the usual detail pack. The etched plates are also very well done too. 

It was only after looking through Flickr I spotted the frost grills in place in the early 90’s so adds further variety for me as it will be the only 37 in the fleet with them. Like Ken I only noticed the handrail detail after looking back at the real thing once I had my model.

When this one got announced I was quite happy as it fits in my early 90’s era project so ordered one and really pleased with it. I think Bachmann have done a really good job on it, Printing and livery is very sharp and they have matched prototype details particularly well. 

Thanks

Mark

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi,

I just double checked mine and yes it does have the frost grills in the usual detail pack. The etched plates are also very well done too. 

It was only after looking through Flickr I spotted the frost grills in place in the early 90’s so adds further variety for me as it will be the only 37 in the fleet with them. Like Ken I only noticed the handrail detail after looking back at the real thing once I had my model.

When this one got announced I was quite happy as it fits in my early 90’s era project so ordered one and really pleased with it. I think Bachmann have done a really good job on it, Printing and livery is very sharp and they have matched prototype details particularly well. 

Thanks

Mark

37223, 285, 332, 334 and 335 also kept their frost grills on to the end

• Informative/Useful 1

On 15/12/2019 at 01:41, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

If you plan to fit rad frost grilles, worth considering Brian's excellent EE versions, much nearer to scale than the supplied ones, as the photo shows.

Regards

Ken

Edit: Re the Frost Grills supplied with 37 275 Stainless Pioneer - Bachmann appear to have revised the etches, the supplied grills are now much finer than earlier ones (see photo) and very similar to Shawplan EE versions. so much so I first thought he may have supplied them, but on closer inspection it appears not, as they are missing the small bolt head fixings near the diagonal bars.  A nice touch being Bachmann have painted the grille surround edges in 2 tone grey so it matches the model perfectly, this will also help to line it up if used, nice one Bachmann.......:good_mini:

DSC02697.JPG

DSC02833.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
add photo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Mark

Many thanks, mine arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foden said:

I’m wondering if we can expect another wave of interesting Ltd editions in the wake of Heljan and Accurascale announcing a new 47 and 37 respectively....

Possibly some Rep 47's next ?...............it also likely in view of recent announcements that the RRP of the 37's may be reduced a la 66's...............

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Possibly some Rep 47's next ...............it also likely in view of recent announcements that the RRP of the 37's may be reduced a la 66's...............

Which is no bad thing at all in my view.

I’m perfectly aware of their shortcomings, but the Bachmann 47 and 37 are still fantastic models in my view. I have many of both and don’t intend to stop there. I think they’re detailed enough to hold their own and not look out of place alongside a ‘next gen’ model of either type.

The only major draw towards an Accurascale 37 for me might be the provision for sound without milling the chassis, but I dare say I’ll happily run both.

Edited by Foden
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

On 16/12/2019 at 13:13, Foden said:

Which is no bad thing at all in my view.

I’m perfectly aware of their shortcomings, but the Bachmann 47 and 37 are still fantastic models in my view. I have many of both and don’t intend to stop there. I think they’re detailed enough to hold their own and not look out of place alongside a ‘next gen’ model of either type.

The only major draw towards an Accurascale 37 for me might be the provision for sound without milling the chassis, but I dare say I’ll happily run both.

Going by the pre-pro views of the Accurascale 37...chalk and cheese comes to mind....but time will tell....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:44, adb968008 said:

I finally picked up this regional limited edition in the last few days, It seems to have largely passed the crowd by...

07AEA51E-FAAE-4849-96CD-55903F24394B.jpeg.33b1078876e93efa48040c8dabade4d8.jpeg

Although a Stratford creation, it got all the way to Scotland with reasonable frequency on the WCML.

2E751460-91EF-4EB5-9929-09AB73928B67.jpeg.2d5b277a86df06bd9de5c024990ff34b.jpeg

not many chances to get RFT General on your layout

338AF2D3-EC58-4906-9825-E6A624CD01CD.jpeg.2a84577875f077a2d3c3bda4547407c5.jpeg

Tinsley eventually got hold of it, off’d the sparrow and added the depot plaque, then it was seen across East Yorkshire too.

Seemed to be happy with Containers, Cement, Peakstone workings, it did a few Manchester-Blackpool workings for a period one summer, i think 1989, then it dissapeared as quickly as it came.

That's very nice!!

didn't no this was coming out..

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I bought two of the Bachmann DRS Compass 47805 models a couple of years ago. I intended to renumber and therefore remove the 'John Scott' printed nameplates from one of the models. Can anyone confirm if the model has the DRS Blue paint underneath the printed nameplates? Also can anyone confirm if the printed nameplates can simply be removed by the usual method of a cocktail stick? I just don't wanted to remove the printed nameplates to then either find no paint beneath them or a different colour to the DRS Blue. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I bought two of the Bachmann DRS Compass 47805 models a couple of years ago. I intended to renumber and therefore remove the 'John Scott' printed nameplates from one of the models. Can anyone confirm if the model has the DRS Blue paint underneath the printed nameplates? Also can anyone confirm if the printed nameplates can simply be removed by the usual method of a cocktail stick? I just don't wanted to remove the printed nameplates to then either find no paint beneath them or a different colour to the DRS Blue. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I’ve not got a DRS loco in the collection but having renumbered Bachmann locos in almost every other livery I’d put money on the plate being applied over the blue base colour, I would apply a dollop of thinners on a cotton bud and it’ll see to the printing in a few seconds and leave the base blue intact.

Strangely I normally find the black plate backing normally disappears first to leave the silver lettering, a rub with the cotton bud soon does it’s work!

To get the best finish I’d recommend running a coat of matt varnish over your finished loco, smooths out any shiny spots left after removal of the plates and tones it down too, good luck! :good_mini:

Cheers,

James 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive found a cocktail stick will suffice, as mentioned above the silver seems to hang around, no need for chemicals.

A trick I learned is resist wiping away the loose paint with your fingers.. the grease on your hands rubs in the remaining bits flattening into the body those chipped edges making them harder to remove.

Instead, I use a dry paint brush to brush away the loose paint chips (i have a special one never used for anything but brushing flecks of paint away), then to remove those annoying residue bits of silver remaining on the bodyside, the magic solution is a regular soft pencil rubber... (pencil eraser)..

it removes all remaining quite easily.. then wipe the side with a wet tissue to wipe away the rubber bita, and all is gone.

Works on Dapol, Bachmann, and recent Hornby. Heljan is a bit harder, I do use a cocktail stick dipped in nail varnish remover for those. Lima/Vitrains..Ive not found a way around using a fibre pencil.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2020 at 19:38, James Makin said:

I’ve not got a DRS loco in the collection but having renumbered Bachmann locos in almost every other livery I’d put money on the plate being applied over the blue base colour, I would apply a dollop of thinners on a cotton bud and it’ll see to the printing in a few seconds and leave the base blue intact.

Strangely I normally find the black plate backing normally disappears first to leave the silver lettering, a rub with the cotton bud soon does it’s work!

To get the best finish I’d recommend running a coat of matt varnish over your finished loco, smooths out any shiny spots left after removal of the plates and tones it down too, good luck! :good_mini:

Cheers,

James 

Hi James, 

Thank you very much for the reply, the information and the help. I really appreciate it. 

Out of interest which thinners and Matt Varnish have you used and would you recommend? I have renumbered a few locos before, but I haven't attempted to remove nameplates before. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

On 06/10/2020 at 20:46, adb968008 said:

Ive found a cocktail stick will suffice, as mentioned above the silver seems to hang around, no need for chemicals.

A trick I learned is resist wiping away the loose paint with your fingers.. the grease on your hands rubs in the remaining bits flattening into the body those chipped edges making them harder to remove.

Instead, I use a dry paint brush to brush away the loose paint chips (i have a special one never used for anything but brushing flecks of paint away), then to remove those annoying residue bits of silver remaining on the bodyside, the magic solution is a regular soft pencil rubber... (pencil eraser)..

it removes all remaining quite easily.. then wipe the side with a wet tissue to wipe away the rubber bita, and all is gone.

Works on Dapol, Bachmann, and recent Hornby. Heljan is a bit harder, I do use a cocktail stick dipped in nail varnish remover for those. Lima/Vitrains..Ive not found a way around using a fibre pencil.

Thank you very much for the reply, the information and the help. I really appreciate it. 

I have renumbered two Bachmann DRS Compass 37/4s previously from the standard Bachmann 405 to 419 and 425, and as you have mentioned I just used a cocktail stick to remove them and they seemed to disappear easily enough. Thank you for the tip on using a dry paint brush and an eraser to clear the remnants of the printed nameplates away, that's an excellent idea and one that I hadn't thought of. I will just make sure to keep my fingers and hands away from the nameplates and paintwork when removing the printed plates. 

Thank you for all of the help. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

On 06/10/2020 at 21:56, rob D2 said:

They are tampo printed so I doubt there would ever just be primer under the name. IE the base  colours as a block  then numbers etc applied by using pads 

I did think that their would be DRS base blue underneath the printed plates, but I just wanted to see what others thought and if they were in agreement. I trust others with things like this, much more than myself, because other people have so much more knowledge and expertise in the world of renumbering, renaming and repainting. Their seems to be a consensus that the blue will be underneath the printed plates, so I will probably keep the model and have a go at removing the printed plates at some point. I just didn't want to begin removing the printed plates to find a different colour underneath and have to find someone to patch the paintwork up with blue, because I don't plan on renaming it. Not entirely prototypical to the base model of 805 but I am thinking that the second model will become any one from 818, 828 and 841. From photos I have referenced I believe 828 is the closest to the tooling and model of 805.  

Thank you for all of the help. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Danny

I have renumbered and removed names on a few locos now and just completed removing the construction branding on the latest Hornby class 60.

In all cases, I used a cotton bud with liquid Brasso and found that gentle rubbing soon gets rid of the printed detail leaving a polished area of the body main colour.

The polished area is perfect for applying replacement decals and, when dry, I give a quick airbrush pass with the matching varnish of the rest of the loco.

Regards

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hi Danny

I have renumbered and removed names on a few locos now and just completed removing the construction branding on the latest Hornby class 60.

In all cases, I used a cotton bud with liquid Brasso and found that gentle rubbing soon gets rid of the printed detail leaving a polished area of the body main colour.

The polished area is perfect for applying replacement decals and, when dry, I give a quick airbrush pass with the matching varnish of the rest of the loco.

Regards

John

That’s interesting as Hornby are sometimes tricky to get the sector stuff off before the grey goes through to primer.

ill remember  brass o as Tcut has been a disaster with Hornby for me, great for Bachmann though 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1