Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

These price rises are insane. I have just found the receipt for a parcel I received from Hattons only a few years ago. Bachmann Class 37 37506 and six Railfreight red BAA wagons. All for less than £160...

John

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 37501 said:

These price rises are insane. I have just found the receipt for a parcel I received from Hattons only a few years ago. Bachmann Class 37 37506 and six Railfreight red BAA wagons. All for less than £160...

John

That reminds me, I paid £117 for DRS 37405 in December 2015 from Hattons. This was a standard model, but still it shows just how prices have increased more recently. When the latest modern, standard Bachmann 37s arrive later this year they will be £145 with retailers after the discount, with the RRP now been £170 for standard models. This doesn't even take into account the higher prices of the Rep Limited Editions. 

Luckily I only plan on buying three more Bachmann 37s (025, 424 & 521). I will be waiting until hopefully the latter two are reduced in price after a few weeks of their release to retailers. The recent announcements of standard and Rep Edition 37s makes me glad that I don't collect older liveries and just the modern ones. 

IIRC this has been discussed before, and is related to increased labour costs in China. Bachmann is not necessarily making a greater profit (although that may be open to informed debate, I don't have the numbers).

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37501 said:

John

I had to re-read that.., I had a Lima 37506 and 6 Hornby steel wagons at £55.65, though that was back c1993.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

It’s worth noting how weak the pound is now. Companies buying in stock need to factor this in as things sadly cost more. Add in all the other costs business faces that have increased in the last few years, rates and VAT at 20% you certainly don’t make much in retail these days.

You our only need to look at everyday food items, buying daily for my own business I can easily spot prices rising. Just after new year one chain put 5p on every own brand product as far as I could see across the wide range I previously bought. 

Mark

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry everyone, just to say I wasn't intending to moan about prices because model railways are a hobby so it's just buying what you can afford anyway. I just find it interesting to compare prices between say a decade ago, a few years ago and more recently in the last couple of years. 

I saw 37416 advertised on the Colletts models website at £190. I know that this weathered but I have to say that for me personally even if this was one that I wanted to buy (it isn't), then I would have to leave it. Out of interest I wonder how many other people think the same, but unlike me would actually like to buy the model but don't because of the price. 

I suppose in current times it's about prioritising what you want to buy the most and knowing that the days are gone of been able to afford most or all of the models that you want to buy. As nice as the Rep Edition 37s are by Bachmann, I can't help but fear that some retailers may be left with these for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

to me the deciding factor is whether it is weathered, I’ve only seen 2 locos (Both Bachmann Kernow 47’s) weathered that really did it for me. 

I prefer pristine finish myself, the rest stay on the shelf.

That said the executive dark grey used by Bachmann in its mainline 37’s in the past I’ve questioned too.

With rising prices I wonder if viTrains would consider doing a run again.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The tmc still has it for preorder as I was in the same predicament so cancelled my preorder with hattons and got it from the tmc but can’t remember off top of my head it is with tmc

Hello, just to let you all know we do still have some 37025 Inverness TMD models available for pre-order. Our policy is not to take more pre-orders than we can get from the supplier so when we are close to allocation it will be removed from pre-order and marked as sold out. 

https://www.themodelcentre.com/32-780rj

https://www.themodelcentre.com/32-780rjds

Hope this helps

Edited by tmc
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

to me the deciding factor is whether it is weathered, I’ve only seen 2 locos (Both Bachmann Kernow 47’s) weathered that really did it for me. 

That said the executive dark grey used by Bachmann in its mainline 37’s in the past I’ve questioned too.

An interesting post. The Vitrains 37 has an excellent performance but I find the overall body appearance not to my liking,I’m afraid. There are however others to consider if Bachmann pricing is not to taste. Just as an observation,consider how Hattons leap into the market has reduced the price of the 66.Price point is one thing.Accuracy and quality are another.At the moment,Bachmann keep the pot boiling with one special after another.OK for now maybe to keep the competition off their back.But for next time ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding material.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Absolutely agree, I’ve bagged one of the 37422 models in Regional Railways livery recently, it was a great livery but Bachmann’s heavy factory weathering has absolutely ruined the tone of the colours and applied weathering to all the wrong places!  

Fortunately however, it comes off pretty quickly and easily with a splash of enamel thinners, and being super careful over the printed branding with max 2 secs exposure is just enough to get rid of the mess and bring it back to how it should be, and ready for some realistic weathering! 

Hopefully this might help as the Mt Fuji ‘37’ looks a nice livery but may well be blighted with a similar finish..!

7908254D-41E4-4A0D-8E15-6090E19561AD.jpeg

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 6

On 05/08/2019 at 16:55, James Makin said:

Absolutely agree, I’ve bagged one of the 37422 models in Regional Railways livery recently, it was a great livery but Bachmann’s heavy factory weathering has absolutely ruined the tone of the colours and applied weathering to all the wrong places!  

Fortunately however, it comes off pretty quickly and easily with a splash of enamel thinners, and being super careful over the printed branding with max 2 secs exposure is just enough to get rid of the mess and bring it back to how it should be, and ready for some realistic weathering! 

Hopefully this might help as the Mt Fuji ‘37’ looks a nice livery but may well be blighted with a similar finish..!

7908254D-41E4-4A0D-8E15-6090E19561AD.jpeg

I agree, I’ve used Tcut to remove factory weathering on a lot of Bachmann stock as it’s just a spray everywhere of s@it colour it seems 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 05/08/2019 at 02:17, adb968008 said:

This has been asked before but Vi didn’t make 37s off their own initiative , they were commissioned by the hobby co to produce these, and therefore unless the hobby company orders more there won’t be any ever....and as they haven’t I guess they weren’t a commercial success - they stuck around the hattons bargain basket long enough.

i thought they were ok but overpriced for what was essentially Lima GTi.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I guess they weren’t a commercial success - they stuck around the hattons bargain basket long enough.

The world has changed a bit nice then.

For Hornby, Lima’s 66 GTI seems to be doing very well.

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The world has changed a bit nice then.

For Hornby, Lima’s 66 GTI seems to be doing very well.

That’s the point - Vi may still have a place in the market but it would have to be sub £100 really. Otherwise they won’t compete with Bachmann or a new 37 from someone 

52 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

This has been asked before but Vi didn’t make 37s off their own initiative , they were commissioned by the hobby co to produce these, and therefore unless the hobby company orders more there won’t be any ever....and as they haven’t I guess they weren’t a commercial success - they stuck around the hattons bargain basket long enough.

I wouldnt say they were a Lima GTI, it was a completely retooled bodyshell with a multitude of separate detailing, and an all-wheel drive chassis.  Price wise they were not too bad

17 hours ago, JiLo said:

I wouldnt say they were a Lima GTI, it was a completely retooled bodyshell with a multitude of separate detailing, and an all-wheel drive chassis.  Price wise they were not too bad

Lima GTI sounds about right to me. They were a step up from Lima but not to the quality of Bachmann's effort. I always thought the yellow paint they used let them down a bit as it was too lemon and I hated the fit your own details. The price to me was too close to Bachmann's at the time to bother with them so they might have a place in the market, but they'd need to be a good bit cheaper than Bachmann

• Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...

Inverness TMD 37025 NOW IN STOCK!

We're currently shipping out all the pre orders of this much anticipated model! We still have some left - available with DCC or DCC sound (Biffo) fitted and custom weathering to your spec by our professional!

Order HERE

IMG_3773.jpeg.137c40fb3a418ea6ddbc11d8ef0163e9.jpeg

It can be seen here with our stock of MMRG 37 114 (weathered) and MK1 BG in Network Rail Yellow, also available to order or in store.

IMG_3775.jpeg.1efaf7655c5cb81ccef86bf65f68c732.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

If anyone is still looking for 37025 Crafty Hobbies in Barrow-in-Furness had a non sound one left at lunchtime today.

I hadn’t preordered this one but John and Shelagh emailed me to say they had them so was lucky to be able to get the sound fitted one today as a result. Superb service as usual from them.

thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Those jock mctractors still seem to sell well !

Going to wait and see if any ltd ed mainline ones drop below £140 as £178 is a bit much for such an old tooling .

Well, it’s a old loco lol.

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Those jock mctractors still seem to sell well !

Going to wait and see if any ltd ed mainline ones drop below £140 as £178 is a bit much for such an old tooling .

What's with this Jock Mc Tractors?  Can you not just type 'Scots/Scottish tractors?

Regards

Stephen 

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Agree 1